Properties of Water

Properties of Water

3.46 of 5 stars 3.46  ·  rating details  ·  127 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Dedicated wife and mother Josie Hunter finds her seemingly idyllic life threatened by a random act of violence, the return of her estranged older sister, and the emergence of an attractive childhood sweetheart. Reprint. NYT.
Published June 1st 1996 by Bantam (first published 1995)

Kasia
The true beauty of life is the way if ebbs and flows like a river, a tiny pebble in its path can take the water on a new glorious course and where it goes no one knows. In her sixth novel Ann Hood displays her magic touch for creating people and places that haunt the reader for a long time. I have noticed the melancholic tone in her books, the sad pangs and situations where people are hurt emotionally make up big chunks of her books but she doesn't forget to write in some hard earned salvation t...more
Arlene
Maybe it was just me but I could not make myself get into this book. I read more than my 50 page limit but when it seemed like pain instead of pleasure to plod on, I just gave up. From the general ratings obviously I am in the minority in my opinion of this book.
Grace
At first, I wasn't sure if there was an overall point to Ann Hood's "The Properties of Water." I was okay with this because it seemed like a book about the mundane life of a suburban housewife named Josie, her husband Will, and their two daughters Maggie (a teen in full angst mode) and Kate (the precocious and utterly adorable five year old).

However, it becomes clear that things are not as they appear to be in Josie's life as she continues to love a man who is no longer in love with her, strugg...more
Peter Panic
Once ages ago I read a short story collection by the same author and was infatuated with all the portrayels of the lonely isolated housewife set in Rhode Island. Each and every character was beleiveably feminine and distraught and always in some sort of depressed denial of their life. One woman baked when stressed another knitted. I slowly realizing that while reading it I was very much like some of the characters and almost felt proud. Years later I finally found another book by the same author...more
Donna
Josie 's life is in turmoil after a random act of violence. Her supposed perfect life falls apart with her family , a cheating husband, a rebellious teenager, and aging parents.
I recently read one of Ann Hood's latest novels. This was one of her firsts. The style of her writing has improved through the years.

Ann Sandhorst
I read Ms. Hood's book, THE OBITUARY WRITER first and loved it so I was intrigued to read her earlier works. This one had a good story but the it jumped around too much. It should have had chapters for this purpose. Also, there were some misused apostrophes and glaring spelling errors which invalidated the reading experience for me.
Elysabeth
Frances Kehlbeck Civello
I wish I had started reading Ann Hood's books in chronological order. Her early work is very good...but it pales in comparison to her more recent fiction.

I started with The Knitting Circle, an amazing tapestry of complex characters, joy and raw grief. In comparison, Properties of Water is, well, shallow. It's a good summer read, with well-constructed characters. It held my interest. But it just didn't hold a candle to The Knitting Circle.
Dundee Library
Hood's small town female characters are well developed but their problems are closer to home — infidelity, sisterly rivalry, and cold feet at an impending marriage. Hood employs a little more introspection and personal drama in her stories.
Denise
I did not think this was her best effort; I enjoyed her later title Ruby a lot--very quirky and funny/sadat the same time.
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
My kind of novel. Women's fiction at its best.
Carly Carter
important book. READ THIS ONE.
Lin Cunningham
This is another great book by Ann Hood!
Mariya
Jul 22, 2010 Mariya marked it as to-read
Justine
Justine marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2014
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2014
Meg
Meg marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2014
Diane
Diane added it
Jun 12, 2014
NatFran
NatFran marked it as to-read
May 29, 2014
Valerie
Valerie marked it as to-read
May 05, 2014
Maura Badji
Maura Badji marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2014
Maria Villegas
Maria Villegas marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2014
Candace Bashaw
Candace Bashaw marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Ann Hood is the author of six works of fiction, including the bestseller The Knitting Circle and, most recently, The Obituary Writer, as well as a memoir, Comfort. She is also the editor of Knitting Yarns: Writers on Knitting. The winner of two Pushcart prizes as well as Best American Food Writing, Best American Travel Writing, and Best American Spiritual Writing awards, she lives in Providence, R...more
More about Ann Hood...
The Knitting Circle The Obituary Writer The Red Thread Comfort: A Journey Through Grief Knitting Yarns: Writers on Knitting