Start by marking “The GRE Test for Dummies” as Want to Read:
The GRE Test for Dummies

The GRE Test for Dummies

Whether you're a college senior or someone who graduated years ago, you'll want this friendly guide to help you ace the GRE and get into the grad school of your choice. Suzee Vlk, a test-prep guru with nearly thirty years of coaching experience supplies you with:
Up-to-date sample questions Two complete practice tests Guidance on how to approach each type of question Tips o
Paperback, Fifth Edition, 336 pages
Published September 1st 2002 by For Dummies (first published March 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about The GRE Test for Dummies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The GRE Test for Dummies

Dana
Sep 29, 2008 Dana rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone thinking about taking the GRE
Recommended to Dana by: Powell's
Shelves: helpful-tomes
I bought this book as soon as I'd signed up for the GRE (I'd finished undergrad two years earlier and had no idea what I was in for.) Because I don't have a past GRE experience to compare, I couldn't say how much my score improved because of the book. HOWEVER, that being said, I thought this was a great part of my studying. It spells out what the test is and what you're graded on, which is extremely useful. It gives lots of lists in vocab, easy formula-memory techniques for the math exam, and gr ...more
Jenn
Nov 26, 2012 Jenn rated it liked it
prepping for the GRE, seems good so far. I browsed thru several other GRE prep books before choosing this one I like the organization and sample tests, plus the bonus CD. Hopefully it will be a good enough review to pass the test.

I spend time studying and then just before I was scheduled to take the GRE, I did the practice tests included in the CD.

It was helpful that the CD follows the format of the GRE test so it takes some of the mystery out of it. I do think it helped me prepare.
The flash car
Cathy
Sep 22, 2014 Cathy rated it really liked it
Very easy, at times funny read. I thought it put the GRE in perspective and gave a lot of helpful tips for studying. I haven't taken the GRE yet so I can't say how much it helped me on that but it did help me relax and put it all in perspective.
Anna
Nov 05, 2009 Anna rated it liked it
Shelves: college
I got this particular GRE prep guide because I was looking for the most simplistic, back-to-basics math crash course I could find, and this book was good for that. But after looking at some other guides, and then actually taking the test, I realize that this one is actually way too simplistic. But I can't complain, really, since I just scored 1360 on the first go at the test - not too shabby, I think, for someone who didn't even remember how to do long division when she started studying...
Carly
Jul 24, 2008 Carly rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2008
This is NOT the book you want to buy if you are really serious about studying for the GRE. I got it from a friend (thank goodness) because, if I had spent the enormous amounts test prep people charge for these books, I'd be upset.

It's a funny read--there are jokes, which makes it more enjoyable I guess to read. But in terms of practice, there's not much.
Charity
Mar 08, 2008 Charity rated it liked it
Read it cover to cover. Sadly I had to start with the GRE for Dummies version, but it was kind of a fun read. I hate to admit it, but I actually enjoyed taking all the practice tests and studying for the GRE. It was the actual taking of the test that I hated!!
Molly
Mar 26, 2010 Molly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was invaluable to me when I was studying for the GRE. It made absolutely no assumptions that I'd remembered anything from high school math, and there are funny little quotes and cartoons to help break it up.
Valerie Heruska
Jan 03, 2014 Valerie Heruska rated it really liked it
KIcks it old school with good, basic math. ugh.
Casey Bennett
Apr 15, 2011 Casey Bennett rated it it was amazing
I read this book from cover to cover...I am counting it- plus it helped me pass :-)
Andrew Stevens
Sep 03, 2012 Andrew Stevens rated it liked it
Its alright as a resource but shouldn't be your one stop to preparing.
Jane
Dec 14, 2008 Jane rated it it was amazing
This book majorly up-ed my GRE game. Great common sense tips.
Miranda
Aug 17, 2008 Miranda rated it liked it
Lots of help
Groov Junki
Groov Junki marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2016
Manoj Sapkota
Manoj Sapkota marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2016
Tina
Tina rated it really liked it
Jul 28, 2016
John Palmer
John Palmer rated it did not like it
Jul 18, 2016
Ann-sophie Berumen
Ann-sophie Berumen is currently reading it
Jul 07, 2016
Kristen
Kristen rated it it was amazing
Jun 07, 2016
OMAR MAHMUD
OMAR MAHMUD marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2016
Molly Sullivan
Molly Sullivan marked it as to-read
May 12, 2016
Iwalani Wolff
Iwalani Wolff rated it liked it
Feb 24, 2016
Pamela Giese
Pamela Giese marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2016
Iwona Matczuk
Iwona Matczuk rated it really liked it
Jan 21, 2016
Saygin K
Saygin K rated it it was amazing
Jan 02, 2016
Tracy
Tracy rated it really liked it
Dec 22, 2015