Start by marking “Raving Fans: A Revolutionary Approach to Customer Service” as Want to Read:
Raving Fans: A Revolutionary Approach to Customer Service

Raving Fans: A Revolutionary Approach to Customer Service

3.89  ·  Rating Details  ·  4,965 Ratings  ·  223 Reviews
Told in the parable style of The One Minute Manager, RAVING FANS uses a brilliantly simple and charming story to teach listeners how to define vision, learn what a customer really wants, institute effective systems, and make Raving Fan Service a constant feature--not just another program of the month.

America is in the midst of a service crisis that has left a wake of disil
Audio CD, Abridged, 0 pages
Published January 13th 2004 by Random House Audio (first published April 19th 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Raving Fans, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Raving Fans

Meri
Sep 15, 2007 Meri rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Jerry Springer is less insulting to human intelligence. More useful as toilet paper.
Aaron
Aug 18, 2008 Aaron rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: (sound of crickets)
Recommended to Aaron by: Employer Training Program
Not that I expected anything different, but this "revolutionary approach to customer service" is pretty simplistic. I admit that I read it as a requirement at work. There are three main lessons in the book and the rest is filler. Undoubtedly, the author began with a basic outline. That outline was then stolen by a rouge children's author who, then completed the story around it. "I did it as a joke... but they're going out like that". The three basic lessons are solid common sense concepts. For t ...more
Michelle Johnson
Mar 13, 2014 Michelle Johnson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read Raving Fans as a supplemental text for a college, Principles of Customer Service course. I think it's funny that many reviewers have rated this book negatively based on its size and its simplification of the concept of good customer service.....that the ideas in this book are just common sense. And truthfully, they are just common sense....... And yet poor customer service has become a standard, that we've become accustomed to. We don't really expect anything above mediocre anymore.

Raving
Steven
Feb 27, 2014 Steven rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've been reading a lot of fiction lately, so I decided to pepper in a "business" book.

Considering "Raving Fans" covers a compelling topic and is only 132 pages, I figured I'd read it.

One hour later and I'm finished and now writing this review.

It's a decent read. This book uses a narrative, third-person format to show the reader the benefits of employing the mindset of businesses with "Raving Fans." I rolled my eyes the first couple pages in when I realized the whole book was going to employ th
John Speight
Jan 10, 2012 John Speight rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Do not buy this book. It is way too long, the narration is terrible and they spend way too much time talking about golf. The main points are, figure out what you want, find out what your customer wants (try and reconcile them) and then deliver plus 1% per week. There, I just saved you $20 bucks.
Cathy Allen
I no longer know whether I picked up this book and read it because I was irritated by the level of customer service I often get, or if my irritation is caused by learning from this book how ridiculously easy it is to provide good service. It's probably a cyclical thing. This I do know for sure: more than any book I've read in years I want to hand out copies of this one.... not in restaurants or grocery stores. Those folks tend to provide good service. I want to hand it out at the hospital, at th ...more
Jessa Allen
My manager asked everyone in the department I work in to read this book. At first glance it's a short read with large font and lots of whitespace, so I knew it wouldn't take long to finish and I wasn't opposed to reading it. By any means though, I wasn't excited to read it. I read a lot, 95% of the time it is fiction. I was a little worried that this would be dull and like I was back in school again.

I was pleasantly surprised that they incoroprated their lessons in a cute little story about an A
CP
Sep 01, 2015 CP rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Most of this is common sense - for those who understand the importance of excellent customer service. I think we have all seen our fair share of people that will never get it. However, the important bullet points of this book could fill a pamphlet, so the authors had to spread this out with several characters and so much talk of golf in order to sell a book. (And really, do business professionals only have one hobby?) Overall, I still think it is worth a bookstore/library perusal.
Kevin Wunder
Sep 17, 2010 Kevin Wunder rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Is customer service a dying art? It might be.

When was the last time that you had a really great experience as a consumer? What did you do after? Who did you tell?

I love the premise of this book; "satisfied customers aren't enough...you have to create raving fans".

Ken Blanchard shares (in a very anecdotal way) some very compelling principles about creating and maintaining amazing customer experiences. The book will definitely challenge the way that you currently look at the customer experience
Dale Meyer-curley
Continuing my pattern of comparing books to others, Raving Fans is "The Five People you Meet in Heaven" combined with "The Celestine Prophecy."

This is sooo a book of the 90s, where we had epiphanies about things we should already know as common sense, but weren't utilizing. That said, the advice still standsand I found myself having "A-ha" moments.

I was asked to read his for work, as part of an improvement initiative. I think this book, a quick read, is a good place to start for improvement. I d
Patty
This book was recommended to me by someone on synod council. Blanchard is an expert at coming up with succinct ways to look at a topic. He has books on change, customer service and (apparently) golf, that look for very basic concepts - 2 or 3 at most.

Blanchard then takes these 2-3 topics and wraps them in an interesting story. The story is supposed to (in my opinion) capture the reader's attention and make the concepts easy to remember.

Raving Fans does this well. There are 3 concepts that the ne
Angela
Sep 30, 2015 Angela rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
Super cheesy but delivers a good message. People complain that the information is too simple and that everyone should already know this, and yet customer service often sucks, plain and simple. This is over twenty years old, and I can still think of a ton of companies who need it.
Kevin Dumcum
Sep 07, 2015 Kevin Dumcum rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
Like many of the other titles in Ken Blanchard’s The One-Minute Manager series, Raving Fans (co-written with Sheldon Bowles) is written as a business fable to illustrate some basic, common-sense methods.
The lesson in Raving Fans is how a manager can lead his division or company to deliver consistently exemplary customer service.
The fable involves Area Manager, who is charged by the company President to improve the company’s customer service reputation, a task which the two previous managers trie
Chris Rock
Mar 31, 2014 Chris Rock rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
Using a fictional analogy to illustrate a point is a useful writing convention. However, this book takes that overboard and creates and entire fictional world to illustrate the author's point. I'm sorry, but you can't use the success of a fictional business that you invented to illustrate how effective your principles will be.

That's not to say that the principles in this book are terrible, but I'd be much more convinced if I saw some case studies, or even anecdotes.

Like most business books, it c
Barclay
Apr 01, 2015 Barclay rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Weird.
Rory O’Kane
This book was a quick read, and entertaining because it was written in a fictional style. The basic points of this book sound helpful and worth trying out. Trying the three steps it named with a company I used to work for let me think of some interesting new ideas, though it doesn’t really matter because customer service was not my responsibility.

However, there are a few flaws. One claim, about the need to constantly re-evaluate your vision of the perfect custom experience due to changing custom
Oscar Romero
Aug 03, 2015 Oscar Romero rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It is always intriguing that--some how, some authors have the ability to make things clear and easy to understand by using some type of imagination--like this Charlie from this book. While others will make things easier to understand when using real life stories. I guess the ideal one would be someone that can give us both....anyhow--I do like Charlie and I also like golf.

I can only say that--although all of us know (or at least we think we do) what customer service is or should be--it is a lon
Coffee
May 21, 2014 Coffee rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The revolutionary approach to customer service came down the the simplest yet the most important principle, treating the customer right and making them the biggest fan of your business, services and products.

I tried to relate the above principle with our company:

Clients:
-- They are always right, even if they are dumb :P
-- Doesn't really matter how tough their situation is, we make them feel that we can help them and we actually do.
-- We make them feel that they are under the best hands and we ha
Amir Syed
Jan 09, 2016 Amir Syed rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Book Review:
Raving Fans by Ken Blanchard

Raving Fans: A Revolutionary Approach to Customer Service by Ken Blanchard & Sheldon Bowles
1st Secret: Decide What You Want
* Remember, you are the source. Decide what you want and then create a vision of perfection centered on the moment the customer uses the product.
* “It’s store policy, to look after customers’ needs whenever possible. Mr Varley calls it Raving Fan Service and he encourages us to use our own initiative. Besides, it’s fun…I also like
Mr. Z
Mar 15, 2009 Mr. Z rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you are a boss or teacher, I think this story will help inspire you to understand what it takes to get the most from your organization or classroom. "Going above and beyond" is a theme left behind in today's me-first society, but leaders and teachers who are willing to take the extra step will still get the extra results that are waiting for them. Excellent ideas, examples and applications can be found in these pages.
Narfy
May 01, 2014 Narfy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is not a book I would ever willingly read on my own. It was assigned after management team was collectively dazzled.

It is a book for people who don't read a lot. Large print, small words-I thought I was back in Grade 3. I'm also a but surprised that no one else has commented on how closely the storyline follows "It's a Wonderful Life". A supernatural being takes our Protagonist through "what if" scenarios. Unoriginal.

And the genre of business-fantasy hybrid-ugh. Don't get me wrong, I love
Noelle
Sep 04, 2015 Noelle rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Raving Fans is popular among my upper-level managers (so much so that staff are occassionally exhorted to create "raving fans"), so I thought I'd take a look. There are some sound principles of customer service buried in this very brief book, but the parable delivery style is inane and condescending. The book design, with different amounts of text on every page, is distracting and clearly intended to turn a 50-page booklet into a 130-page hardback that can be marketed for $22. I appreciate the c ...more
Michelle
This is a quick read...but a little corny. There are three main points to the book in regards to customer service. They are good points- but I could have done without all of the filler.
Chuck Springer
Apr 27, 2015 Chuck Springer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found that "Raving Fans" is a quick easy read. It focuses on explaining the power of exceptional customer service. The end result is the desire to create a client who becomes a "Raving Fan". This Raving Fan not only a repeat customer, but one who recommends you on a regular basis. You follow a fictional manager who is charged with turning his organization around. He is blessed with a humorous golf addicted fairy godmother who takes him on a journey to discover the three secrets of creating a R ...more
Michael J.
Aug 31, 2012 Michael J. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One the all-time best customer service books of all time. Please read and implement the concepts. Ken Blanchard's best book, in my opinion.

Blessings,

Michael
Jill Morrison
Oct 30, 2011 Jill Morrison rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
I'm about half way through and so far it's as cheesy a book as that one about the stupid mice. Seriously? Put it into an email, bullet-form, and save a tree.
Niko
Feb 23, 2011 Niko rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The overall concept is inspiring however the fairy book format was insulting. The ideas presented within could've been summed up on 3 triple spaced pages.
Celeste
Jul 16, 2012 Celeste rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very good book. It will put you in the right frame of mind! Made a huge difference on how I treat my clients. It has raised my customer service bar!
Adam
The use of a male fairy godmother as the discriminator of all knowledge and wisdom was a comical devise, but it worked. I prefer the mystical approach in business books because they don't try to make it sound TOO realistic. We all know the situation is contrived to maximize the ability to tell a lesson, so we might has well have a laugh at the same time. That being said the information is simple and useful. The examples were clear (if a little exaggerated) and memorable. The concepts behind them ...more
Matt
Jan 24, 2008 Matt rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Very simply written book that I didn't embrace. Had a character who was some guy's 'fairy god mother of service'
  • Swim with the Sharks Without Being Eaten Alive: Outsell, Outmanage, Outmotivate, and Outnegotiate Your Competition
  • The Pursuit of Wow!: Every Person's Guide to Topsy-Turvy Times
  • Getting Naked: A Business Fable about Shedding the Three Fears That Sabotage Client Loyalty
  • The Nordstrom Way: The Inside Story of America's #1 Customer Service Company
  • The Oz Principle: Getting Results through Individual and Organizational Accountability
  • Fierce Conversations: Achieving Success at Work and in Life One Conversation at a Time
  • The Fred Factor: How passion in your work and life can turn the ordinary into the extraordinary
  • The Ultimate Question: Driving Good Profits and True Growth
  • Customer Satisfaction Is Worthless Customer Loyalty Is Priceless
  • Love Is the Killer App: How to Win Business and Influence Friends
  • Mojo: How to Get It, How to Keep It, How to Get It Back If You Lose It
  • Thinking for a Change: 11 Ways Highly Successful People Approach Life and Work
  • Peaks and Valleys: Making Good And Bad Times Work For You--At Work And In Life
  • Zapp! The Lightning of Empowerment: How to Improve Quality, Productivity, and Employee Satisfaction
  • Duct Tape Marketing: The World's Most Practical Small Business Marketing Guide
  • The Big Moo: Stop Trying to Be Perfect and Start Being Remarkable
  • QBQ! The Question Behind the Question: Practicing Personal Accountability at Work and in Life
  • Small Giants: Companies That Choose to Be Great Instead of Big
Ken Blanchard, one of the most influential leadership experts in the world, is the coauthor of the iconic bestseller, The One Minute Manager, and 60 other books whose combined sales total more than 21 million copies. His groundbreaking works have been translated into more than 27 languages and in 2005 he was inducted into Amazon’s Hall of Fame as one of the top 25 bestselling authors of all time.

K
More about Kenneth H. Blanchard...