Raving Fans: A Revolutionary Approach to Customer Service

Raving Fans: A Revolutionary Approach to Customer Service

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  2,939 ratings  ·  162 reviews
Told in the parable style of The One Minute Manager, RAVING FANS uses a brilliantly simple and charming story to teach listeners how to define vision, learn what a customer really wants, institute effective systems, and make Raving Fan Service a constant feature--not just another program of the month.

America is in the midst of a service crisis that has left a wake of disil...more
Audio CD, Abridged, 0 pages
Published January 13th 2004 by Random House Audio (first published April 19th 1993)

Meri
Jerry Springer is less insulting to human intelligence. More useful as toilet paper.
Aaron
Aug 18, 2008 Aaron rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: (sound of crickets)
Recommended to Aaron by: Employer Training Program
Not that I expected anything different, but this "revolutionary approach to customer service" is pretty simplistic. I admit that I read it as a requirement at work. There are three main lessons in the book and the rest is filler. Undoubtedly, the author began with a basic outline. That outline was then stolen by a rouge children's author who, then completed the story around it. "I did it as a joke... but they're going out like that". The three basic lessons are solid common sense concepts. For t...more
John Speight
Do not buy this book. It is way too long, the narration is terrible and they spend way too much time talking about golf. The main points are, figure out what you want, find out what your customer wants (try and reconcile them) and then deliver plus 1% per week. There, I just saved you $20 bucks.
Cathy Allen
I no longer know whether I picked up this book and read it because I was irritated by the level of customer service I often get, or if my irritation is caused by learning from this book how ridiculously easy it is to provide good service. It's probably a cyclical thing. This I do know for sure: more than any book I've read in years I want to hand out copies of this one.... not in restaurants or grocery stores. Those folks tend to provide good service. I want to hand it out at the hospital, at th...more
Kevin Wunder
Is customer service a dying art? It might be.

When was the last time that you had a really great experience as a consumer? What did you do after? Who did you tell?

I love the premise of this book; "satisfied customers aren't enough...you have to create raving fans".

Ken Blanchard shares (in a very anecdotal way) some very compelling principles about creating and maintaining amazing customer experiences. The book will definitely challenge the way that you currently look at the customer experience...more
Patty
This book was recommended to me by someone on synod council. Blanchard is an expert at coming up with succinct ways to look at a topic. He has books on change, customer service and (apparently) golf, that look for very basic concepts - 2 or 3 at most.

Blanchard then takes these 2-3 topics and wraps them in an interesting story. The story is supposed to (in my opinion) capture the reader's attention and make the concepts easy to remember.

Raving Fans does this well. There are 3 concepts that the ne...more
Chris Rock
Using a fictional analogy to illustrate a point is a useful writing convention. However, this book takes that overboard and creates and entire fictional world to illustrate the author's point. I'm sorry, but you can't use the success of a fictional business that you invented to illustrate how effective your principles will be.

That's not to say that the principles in this book are terrible, but I'd be much more convinced if I saw some case studies, or even anecdotes.

Like most business books, it c...more
Michelle Johnson
I read Raving Fans as a supplemental text for a college, Principles of Customer Service course. I think it's funny that many reviewers have rated this book negatively based on its size and its simplification of the concept of good customer service.....that the ideas in this book are just common sense. And truthfully, they are just common sense....... And yet poor customer service has become a standard, that we've become accustomed to. We don't really expect anything above mediocre anymore.

Raving...more
Steven
I've been reading a lot of fiction lately, so I decided to pepper in a "business" book.

Considering "Raving Fans" covers a compelling topic and is only 132 pages, I figured I'd read it.

One hour later and I'm finished and now writing this review.

It's a decent read. This book uses a narrative, third-person format to show the reader the benefits of employing the mindset of businesses with "Raving Fans." I rolled my eyes the first couple pages in when I realized the whole book was going to employ th...more
Mr. Z
If you are a boss or teacher, I think this story will help inspire you to understand what it takes to get the most from your organization or classroom. "Going above and beyond" is a theme left behind in today's me-first society, but leaders and teachers who are willing to take the extra step will still get the extra results that are waiting for them. Excellent ideas, examples and applications can be found in these pages.
Michelle
This is a quick read...but a little corny. There are three main points to the book in regards to customer service. They are good points- but I could have done without all of the filler.
Michael J.
One the all-time best customer service books of all time. Please read and implement the concepts. Ken Blanchard's best book, in my opinion.

Blessings,

Michael
Jill Morrison
I'm about half way through and so far it's as cheesy a book as that one about the stupid mice. Seriously? Put it into an email, bullet-form, and save a tree.
Niko
The overall concept is inspiring however the fairy book format was insulting. The ideas presented within could've been summed up on 3 triple spaced pages.
Celeste
Very good book. It will put you in the right frame of mind! Made a huge difference on how I treat my clients. It has raised my customer service bar!
Matt
Very simply written book that I didn't embrace. Had a character who was some guy's 'fairy god mother of service'
Jerry Mahn
This was a turning point in my leadership. Anyone who works in customer service can learn much from this easy read.
Amber
I had to read it for work, a fairy tale story with impossible expectations of customer service.
Sheree
Good book on how to create customers who will rave about your products or services.
Jeff Raymond
God, management books are terrible. If you need a book to help you manage...
Ethan
This book is crap, don't waste your time on it.
Greg
I enjoyed this short and to-the-point analogy of what it means to provide excellent customer service. I fully agree with Blanchard that today's society expects terrible service, I know I do. Why is this? Though I have little practical experience to back it up, I believe that the 3 steps given in this book could be revolutionary to a company, or any kind of organization. Everything comes down to a human to human concern, and everything else is just excess.

The three steps are:
1- Decide what you...more
Omar Halabieh
Below are key excerpts from the book, outlining the principles of developing "Raving Fans - The Ultimate in Customer Service":

1) "The first magic secret is Decide What You Want...When you decide what you want you must - create a vision of perfection centered on the customer."

2) "...Discover the customers' vision of what they really want and then alter your vision if need be."

3) "...There are really three (traps of customer listening)...I've already told you about the first one: customers saying...more
Patrik Hallberg
Glödande fans - nöjda kunder är inte tillräckligt
Skriven som en berättelse där distriktschefen får hjälp av kundservice fen Charlie. Recepten som Charlie lär ut är ett recept i tre steg:

1) Börja med att bestämma dig för vad du vill?
Skapa en vision av perfektion inriktad på kunden
tillämpa visionen på verklighetens nivå för att upptäcka hinder och motigheter

2) Upptäck vad kunden vill?
Kundens vision blir bara meningsfull vid jämförelse med din vision
justera din vision om det behövs?
Kundens vision ä...more
Jessa Allen
My manager asked everyone in the department I work in to read this book. At first glance it's a short read with large font and lots of whitespace, so I knew it wouldn't take long to finish and I wasn't opposed to reading it. By any means though, I wasn't excited to read it. I read a lot, 95% of the time it is fiction. I was a little worried that this would be dull and like I was back in school again.

I was pleasantly surprised that they incoroprated their lessons in a cute little story about an A...more
Douglas
May 22, 2007 Douglas rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: People in Business or Retail
Shelves: business
The book is a 130 page anecdote about a struggling salesman. He learns basically three things to help him create Raving Fans. First he learns that he must really listen to the customers and then visualize a business that he wants to create. For example, a department store where all the employees greet you by your name, serve you coffee, polish your shoes, let you bring 1000 clothes to the dressing room, etc...

The second thing to do is to find out what is the customers expectation and wants. Onc...more
Troy Blackford
This thin book contains a few good ideas couched in an unnecessary attempt at a narrative structure that just makes the entire package feel amateurish and casts a negative light on the pieces of good advice contained within. What advice is here that isn't brutally obvious is pretty good, but the cloying 'story' format makes it just not worth the price of entry.
Josh Patrick
This is one of those short, but powerful books.

Learning how to focus on what you want, see how it matches with what your customers want and then move to be better by 1% is just great advice. I love the idea of taking small steps that are focused and discrete. The advice in this book totally matches my own experience. If you want to improve you have to do it in small, focused steps.

Having systems is really the secret to great service. If you look at the companies that exceed expectations there is...more
Mike Ogilvie
I enjoyed the lessons learned in this book, if not the actual writing. It was a short listen (only 2 CDs) and got to the points pretty quickly. Centering on the "3 secrets" to creating "Raving Fans", it was an overall good lesson on how to think about and envision the delivery of your businesses products or services.

However, the story-line used was way too schmaltzy and sometimes just plain silly. Perhaps it was the voice acting. Hard to tell - I certainly think the audio book could've been done...more
Christopher M.
A short, but convincing, commonsense approach to customer service. This is a valuable read for any organization or industry which works with people in any way whatsoever (which is pretty much everyone). The point is more or less that one cannot afford not to go the extra mile to please, even surprise the customer with great service. This service may take form in the ease and convenience of the customer, the preferences of the customer, or the value of product being made for the customer. The ste...more
  • Swim with the Sharks Without Being Eaten Alive: Outsell, Outmanage, Outmotivate, and Outnegotiate Your Competition
  • The Three Signs of a Miserable Job: A Management Fable About Helping Employees Find Fulfillment in Their Work
  • The Oz Principle: Getting Results through Individual and Organizational Accountability
  • QBQ! The Question Behind the Question: Practicing Personal Accountability at Work and in Life
  • Duct Tape Marketing: The World's Most Practical Small Business Marketing Guide
  • Spin Selling: Situation Problem Implication Need-payoff
  • Fierce Conversations: Achieving Success at Work and in Life One Conversation at a Time
  • Little Red Book of Selling: 12.5 Principles of Sales Greatness
  • Love Is the Killer App: How to Win Business and Influence Friends
  • How Full Is Your Bucket?
  • Selling the Invisible: A Field Guide to Modern Marketing
  • The Pursuit of Wow!: Every Person's Guide to Topsy-Turvy Times
  • Zig Ziglar's Secrets of Closing the Sale
  • The Fred Factor: How passion in your work and life can turn the ordinary into the extraordinary
  • The 360 Degree Leader: Developing Your Influence from Anywhere in the Organization
  • The Go-Giver: A Little Story About a Powerful Business Idea
  • Mojo: How to Get It, How to Keep It, How to Get It Back If You Lose It
  • Go Put Your Strengths to Work: 6 Powerful Steps to Achieve Outstanding Performance
Blanchard was born in Orange, New Jersey and grew up in New Rochelle, New York.He attended New Rochelle High School, graduating in 1957. He completed a BS degree in government and philosophy at Cornell University in 1961, a MA degree in sociology and counseling at Colgate University in 1963 and a PhD degree in education administration and leadership at Cornell University in 1967. As an undergradua...more
More about Kenneth H. Blanchard...
The One Minute Manager Gung Ho! Whale Done!: The Power of Positive Relationships Leadership and the One Minute Manager: Increasing Effectiveness Through Situational Leadership One Minute Manager Meets the Monkey