Flain's Coronet (The Book of the Crow, #3)

Flain's Coronet (Relic Master #3)

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  536 ratings  ·  41 reviews
Galen has spent the winter in Sarres, building a power-base round the symbolic leadership of the Interrex. But as Relic Master, he knows that to face the mysterious Margrave he needs to seek out the Coronet of Flain to complete his powers. Also, Galen and Raffi rescue two men from execution by the Watch: a keeper and a sceptic. These new men severely test Galen's and Raffi...more
Published February 1st 2001 by Red Fox (first published April 4th 2000)

Robert
Volume 3 is a return to form after the redundant volume 2 of this series. There are revelations about the Sekoi, the mysterious aboriginal cat-like people of the planet, Anara. The plot goes to some unexpected places and, unlike the previous volume, the quest makes sense.

Two of the protagonists seem to develop; Carys and the Sekoi. The Keeper and his scholar seem much the same as when we first met them at least in terms of character.

There are various mutant/genetically modified creatures on Anar...more
April
(Originally posted @ CSI:Librarian.)

Like both The Dark City and The Lost Heiress, The Hidden Coronet was fantastic. From beginning to end, I was engaged, concerned, and so pleased by everything that happened.

The Hidden Coronet was the most event-filled installment so far, but it never felt overwhelmed or bogged down. Instead there is just one awesome moment after another and from a larger range of view points at a more rapid pace. I cannot settle on a favorite part, but I especially loved the Fr...more
Amanda
*Sigh* sometimes I wonder why I keep reading these books. The Dark City was decent, The Lost Heiress was okay -and I wasn't falling over myself to get the next book in the series. Well, the library did get the entire Relic Master series in, so it helps that I can read them all for free. Plus, I keep reading reviews and other online comments that say the series gets better as it goes on, so I kept on going.

Book three in the Relic Master series, The Hidden Coronet continues the story of young Raff...more
Linda
Continuing with book #3 in the Relic Master series. I liked this book a lot. The series is definitely getting better. The characters are evolving and I still like Carys, the spunky girl from the dreaded Watch who has become a traitor to her kind.

The planet Anara is dying. One of its seven moons is falling from the sky and is out of sync. There is a perpetual winter with more and more terrible gales, snows, and darkness. The Unfinished Lands are spreading their desolation and taking over once Fin...more
Lyssa
I am done with this series and I will not read the final book. I did not care for the underlying religious theme that became more prominent in book 3. I don't enjoy reading about zealots.
melissa1lbr
My thoughts: While I really enjoyed the second half of the book, the first have was really slow and I almost didn't want to keep reading. The action (when we finally got to it) was exciting and the world Fisher's created and all its intricacies became more interesting and more immediate to me than in the previous two books (The Dark City and The Lost Heiress). I was fascinated by the world and the moons and how they interacted with the weather and especially with the Makers. There were certainly...more
Jibran
Huzzah! And here now is the review of book three. I'll keep this one short.

Characters (4/5): Raffi actually evolved a little! Galen, while being the ominously awesome power-possessed avatar of the crow stayed static, but with some growing of Carys, and the introduction of the new characters, and the expansion into the realms of the Sekoi, Fisher actually did quite a well job of the character development within this installment.

Pacing (4/5): Often I found myself wondering whether or not somethin...more
Doris
In this third installment of the Relicmaster series, Raffi and Galen continue to search for relics which could help save their world. As they travel, they again have to evade the Watch, but again and again their faith is renewed as they travel, finding others who believe in the Makers.

(view spoiler)

Now, there is an oddity – what ar...more
Carolyn
Apr 23, 2013 Carolyn rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mythology, Sci-Fi, and Fantasy lovers
Fantasy Literature
The Hidden Coronet is the third book of Catherine Fisher’s RELIC MASTER series, following The Dark City and The Lost Heiress. While book one was quite strong, the sequel was solid but a bit disappointing, hurt by somewhat weak plotting and worldbuilding. The Hidden Coronet is much stronger and a welcome return to the quality of The Dark City.

It begins with several tense scenes — one involving Galen and Raffi trying to rid a house of an evil presence and the other concerning the attempted rescue...more
Whitepixels
Once again, Raffi and Galen are searching for an ancient relic - one that may save the world from evil. Great world-building, good characters, and an engaging story.
Marie
Catherine Fisher's Relic Master series is similar to the Incarceron novels in its intriguing blend of sophisticated future technology with medieval-type lifestyles. But something is going wrong with Anara's systems, and in this third installment, Raffi's master Galen is frantically trying to find an ancient artifact that could recall the Makers to the ailing planet. The action is fast-paced, and the book is a quick read good for established teen fantasy readers. I like the Incareron books better...more
Maria Kramer
Although a little less strong than "The Lost Heiress", this is another great installment in the series, and sets up some drama for the fourth and final volume. I'm looking forward to seeing how all the character relationships play out. But Fisher's strength, as always, is her imagery and world-building. Egad, the imagination she has!

Recommended for fans of:
The Claidi Journals by Tanith Lee
The Earthsea books by Ursula K. LeGuin
The Book of Atrix Wolfe by Patricia McKillip
Ben
in the 3rd book of the relic master series the dying panet of Anara hasnt gotten any better. Most of the relm and people have left or have given up hope for survival. Galen and Raffi still have a lot of hope to find a cure and close a final chapter on the chain of events that've occured. The Watch has gained big leverage and is still trying to take over the planet. The 4th and final book was presented as a well awaited release.
Gail
I liked this book. The story continues on with Raffi helping Galen as they help another keeper escape death by hanging. The other keeper joins with Galen and Raffi as they seek to find a golden coronet that they have seen in a vision. the weather worsens as the moons are falling out of alignment. They believe the coronet will help. It is exciting and has some twists that makes it a good read.
Aubrey
Raffi and Galen see visions of Flain's hidden Coronet, and they find out that it's the only thing that they can use to stop the moons from falling and destroying everything. It's lost, but the Sekoi takes them to see the rest of it's people. they find out that it's in the great hoard, and the sekoi has to decide whether to betray his people, or take his friends to save the world...

a couple hours??
Maureen E
This book was dominated by the sense of building towards the end and the final book. There are some big secrets revealed, but lots left to be resolved. As with all of the Relic Master books, I found this a very fast read, which is nice sometimes. However, I do think that emotional investment is a bit lacking, because it’s so fast I don’t feel like I have time to know the characters. [Sept. 2011]
Ticklish Owl
If you liked this series, you might also enjoy:
Seven Realms trilogy
Chanters of Tremeris trilogy
Books of Pellinor series
Beth
Book three of this series and it takes an interesting turn here. Initially I felt like I was reading a fantasy series and in this book there is some heavy elements of science fiction. I feel like I have a clearer picture of the world Fisher has built here and it's origins. Still some questions nag at me. Looking forward to the final installment.
Kathleen
Nov 04, 2011 Kathleen rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fantasy Fans
Fantastic continuation of the story that began in The Dark City. Scenes are beautifully detailed; characters continue to grow and evolve with the situations. The depth of discussion on the theme of social classes is very relevant to both historical and current events. Looking forward to finishing the series with The Margrave.
Christian Didier
Along with the other books in the series, I got lost in this one because it is so good. I'd recommend it to people who have read the first 2 books or it may not make sense. One thing that I really liked is that the Margrave (A mutated Sekoi) is finally revealed. The Margrave was created by Flain as a failed experiment.
Gabby
Once you start to realize what this world is about, you start to have a lot of questions. This definitely has some answers, but it's taking you through to the end -- or the last book.

A quick, enjoyable story with a fast pace of storytelling, albeit a little simply.

Moving on!
Marissa (Rae Gun Ramblings)
I liked it but definitely more disjointed than the first books in this series. There's just a lot going on. I still like the story and direction but I'm kinda bummed that the writing quality seems to be slipping back to what frustrated be about the incarceron series.
Cathy
As the series moves along, I've become more intrigued. The pieces are slowly starting to come together and point to a conclusion that makes everything make sense. I hope I'm not disappointed by the time I'm done with the fourth book.
Meaghan R. (YA-aholic)
this book was simply amazing!

i literally could not put it down.
i was late to work the other day because i just wanted to read one more chapter, then one more, then one more.

Erin
I am burning pretty quickly through this series. It's a really easy read, good characters, and interesting! I like it lots better than her Incarceron series.
Brad
*3.5 stars*

Not as good as the first two Relic Master books, but still very good! Can't wait for The Margrave to come out!
Daniela-Goddess of Reading
This book was pretty exciting than the first two. Only one more book to go and I'll see how it ends.
Megan
My second favorite of the first 3. Just started
#4...looking forward to sharing this series with students!
  • The Nine Pound Hammer (The Clockwork Dark, #1)
  • Heartless (Mirrorworld, #3)
  • The End of Time (The Books of Umber, #3)
  • Magician's Law (Tales of the Bard, Volume One)
  • The Paragon Prison (Grey Griffins: The Clockwork Chronicles, #3)
  • The Hollow Bettle (Poisons of Caux, #1)
  • The Wonderful Adventures of Geoffrey Scrutinous (Skulduggery Pleasant, #5.5)
  • The Heir of Mistmantle (The Mistmantle Chronicles, #3)
  • Ambush (Pillage, #3)
  • The Secret of Ashona (Erec Rex, #5)
  • The Dragon Diary: Dragonology Chronicles Volume 2
  • Superman: The Man of Steel, Vol. 2
  • Alien on a Rampage
  • The Princess of Trelian (Trelian, #2)
  • The Immortals (the Edge Chronicles, #10)
  • Maiden of the Wolf (Hallowmere, #4)
  • The Story of Owen (Dragon Slayer of Trondheim, #1)
  • Nurk: The Strange, Surprising Adventures of a (Somewhat) Brave Shrew
190887
Catherine Fisher was born in Newport, Wales. She graduated from the University of Wales with a degree in English and a fascination for myth and history. She has worked in education and archaeology and as a lecturer in creative writing at the University of Glamorgan. She is a Fellow of the Welsh Academy.

Catherine is an acclaimed poet and novelist, regularly lecturing and giving readings to groups o...more
More about Catherine Fisher...
Incarceron (Incarceron, #1) Sapphique (Incarceron, #2) The Dark City (Relic Master, #1) The Oracle Betrayed (The Oracle Prophecies, #1) Snow-Walker (The Snow Walker, #1-3)