Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Harry Potter, #4)

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Harry Potter #4)

4.47 of 5 stars 4.47  ·  rating details  ·  1,223,638 ratings  ·  17,175 reviews
The summer holidays are dragging on and Harry Potter can't wait for the start of the school year. It is his fourth year at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry and there are spells to be learnt and (unluckily) Potions and Divination lessons to be attended. But Harry can't know that the atmosphere is darkening around him, and his worst enemy is preparing a fate that i...more
Published July 8th 2000 by Bloomsbury

To ask other readers questions about Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by J.K. Rowling
Young Adult fiction by UK authors
4th out of 242 books — 307 voters
The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsHarry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J.K. Rowling
Favorite series
4th out of 187 books — 130 voters

More lists with this book...

Stephen
This was the beginning of my addiction to POTter. I had previously experimented with and enjoyed POTter on 3 different occasions, but could easily have walked away and never touched the stuff again. Then, under some pressure from some POTterHEAD peers of mine, I tried the newest blend called the Goblet...and everything changed. As the warm, easy, potato chip prose crossed my blood-brain barrier, euphoria ensued. My inner child was smitten.

I...was...hooked and I...was...happy.

Ignore the so-call...more
Hira
*To read more reviews by me visit Views & Reviews *

I seriously have no idea why I still review these books when I have nothing new to say. I mean... J.K. Rowling is perfect. This series is perfect. And I dream day & night of going to Hogwarts. So what I'm going to do is, I'm going to show you how I felt about this book:

When I started the book:

During the book:

At the end:

Umm.. Mam Rowling..

All in all

description

Sorry for the lame review, readers. I just really don't know what to say..
Susan
Now THAT'S a book! The groove that J.K. Rowling starts to find in HP 3 is fully realized in 4. Partly it's that the kids (and therefore the readers) are getting older so she can delve into more adult, complex themes and situations, and partly it's that I think she's really finding her voice. We finally got our very own HP's, I am happy to report, and it's so funny to look at them all side by side b/c of the HUGE leap in size between 3 and 4. Then they get a little tricky b/c while 4 and 5 look t...more
9 3/4
Harry Potter changed my life. If I hadn’t read Harry Potter when I did I would not be the same person today. What I am today, in a part is due to Harry. I cannot really say enough to make you understand how much Harry Potter means to me.
Mariel
Feb 25, 2012 Mariel rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: flobberworms give bad bite
Recommended to Mariel by: Aragog never killed no one never
I'm a Harry Potter fan. A rather hardcore one, back in the day. The Harry fans at the big meetup of 2007 (last book) ditched me for not being cool enough. Shows what they know.

I don't know if anyone on goodreads followed the intense Harry Potter fanbase core in the good old days. I wasn't on goodreads until after the last book came out. Goblet of Fire was the last Harry Potter book before all of the bitching naysayers. It was never as much fun after that, either to discuss theories or pick apart...more
Katya
Here be warned: This review contains cursing.

Greetings, loved ones, and let us talk of a young witch named Hermione Granger.

Hermione is, and always has been, a delight to read. Not necessarily because she's a girl, but because she is the only character amongst those 14 year olds who actually has a good head on her shoulders.

When I was young and gullible, I hated this book. Hated how it killed off Cedric and how bloody the series got afterwards. I hated it enough to renounce the franchize. Now...more
Liza Lawler
So after suffering through the first three books of this series, I vowed never to carry on and finish it. That is, until I was at a party and two of my friends gave the Harry Potter saga such a ringing endorsement that I was convinced I was missing out. I picked up the fourth book and was determined to read it, to reconsider my stance on the series.

I quickly got through 200 pages, but it was then that I came to the same crisis I always do when reading a Harry Potter book: Do I really want to go...more
Litchick (is stuck in the 19th century)
I don't know why I thought I'd actually be able to review these books. I can't. I have nothing to say that hasn't already been said and really I don't think I could manage anything other than some flailing and fangirling. So here you go:

*flails*

*fangirls*

Carmen Maloy
Oct 22, 2007 Carmen Maloy rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
What stands out in book 4:

* Hermione's disgust at the reception for the veela (Bulgarian National Team Mascots) at the Quidditch World Cup. Rowling's fourth book addresses issues about growing up--the dynamic between the boys and girls at Hogwarts starts to change. Nowhere is this more plain than the hilarious scene in which magical cheerleaders nearly convince Harry and Ron to jump from the stands to impress them.
* Viktor Krum's crush on Hermione--and Ron's objection to it.
* Malfoy's "Potter...more
Jay Kristoff
This was the book that broke me from the HP series. My bride insists they got better, but she also married me, so her taste is... suspect.

I loved Prisoner of Azkaban. Great struggle, clever time-travel story (very hard to do) and our first real glimpses of the dark places where this series would head. I liked that shift, I really did. So what broke me?

Firstly, the plot holes. Well, more accurately, one plot hole, but it was a frackin' doozy. You know the opening scene in Star Wars where the came...more
Thomas
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

This was the turning point. Where the books ceased to be books and instead became a lifestyle. Where not only did I laugh, but also cried my eyes out. Where the Hogwarts students became MY friends. MY family. This was when I knew there was no going back and I was committed to the end.

"It matters not what someone is born, but what they grow to be."

(And The Doctor was in the movie version - so BONUS!)
Jo ★  The Book Sloth★
Saniya(Will Herondale is mine)
Brad
Goblet of Fire's sprawling messiness is fascinating to me. It seems to mark the moment when J.K. Rowling gained full power over her creation. She wasn't a struggling, driven, single mom anymore -- she was J.K. ROWLING! She was a literary superstar, and suddenly she could do anything she wanted without hindrance.

The result is a giant mess. She's got a Quidditch World Cup happening; she's got the crazy Triwizard Tournament, and all its machinations; she's got Harry's hormones starting to rage; she...more
Priscilla
Pretty darn fabulous.

1) Did I mention how much I love Dumbledore?
2) LOVE HARRY.
3) Ron and Hermione need to kiss already XD jk
4) The story was seriously epic .___.
5) EPIC, I SAY.

A written review will be up soon!
Jason Koivu
This fourth book in the series took the story forward and yet in tone it felt like a regression to the first two books. Certainly it is darker and slightly more mature in subject matter. However, there's a lingering "freshman" feel which I blame on the inclusion of the Tri Wizard Tournament. It seemed out of place at this point in the story. I have no problem with the idea that the wizarding establishment didn't believe (or want to believe) that Voldemort was back and ergo they would naturally c...more
Synesthesia
So I reread this book once again and decided that I still love it.
I adore this book. It's probably one of my favourite in the series.
It's funny in parts, full of action and when it gets to the climax.
The climax of the book is enough to blow folks' head off.
Yes, it's a long heavy book, but I don't care. I like that about it.

More later.

Read this again last month 8/2011

This is the book that makes you realize it's ON. Don't let the happy cover fool you, for these covers are way too ridiculously happ...more
Shelby *wants some flying monkeys*

If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals...Sirius Black
Ariel
It just feels good to read Harry Potter, you know? Goblet of Fire has always been my favourite book in the series. I love the quick pace, and the official change of mood: this is not just a childrens book anymore.

I've actually been considering doing a video about my feels on Goblet of Fire, so I wont say too much more, but I really enjoyed reading this.. It took me awhile to read it, but I loved that.. I loved just spending my time, no rush, with Harry and the Gang.
Becky
Once again, this book is awesome. It's the turning point in the series. The place where SHIT GETS REAL.

We see Harry go through some real challenges in this book, and not just the ones that Voldy cooked up through his devious evility, but challenges that any normal teen may go through... jealousy, a strained-to-the-breaking-point friendship, a crush, and bullying... and that's a day in Harry's life BEFORE anyone tries to kill him.

There's something about these books that just pulls my heartstrin...more
Elisa (Just a Hunch Book Blog)
I'm not sure if I should review this right now or not. I'm nearly done with Order of the Phoenix, so my thoughts might possibly come out a bit blurred between both books, but I'm just going to to give it my best shot anyway, and I may or may not decide to post in the end. (Hint: If you're reading this, I decided to post.)

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. Who else remembers seeing this monster for the first time? I believe I was in the 8th grade when it made its debut. Now, I was not quite old...more
Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!*
Ack! I am hopelessly behind on book reviews. I read this, like, two weeks ago and I've read four other books since then. I am a bad little book reviewer *bashes head against wall* Although, it's not like a ton of people read my reviews, I guess. I just like writing them because it makes me feel smarter-er. :)

So yeah, HARRY FREAKING POTTER. If you haven't been reading my reviews of the past three books––yes, I'm reading them for the first time. I know, shocking. Whenever people see me reading the...more
Nora
My feels were all over the place with this book. Harry and the gang are growing up, and the hormones are starting to work their magic. ;-) I loved seeing Hermione's crush on Viktor and her and Ron's feelings for each other starting to manifest. They really are made for each other. Then you've got Harry's first crush and I looked like this every time he got all shy about talking to Cho or whenever he thought about her or when he got jealous of Cedric.

He's just so precious! There were so many funn...more
Liz*

This is it. Now is when shit just gets real. Now is when HP becomes something more than just a magical story with lovely characters... . Feelings and lost and tragedy and hope.

“It matters not what someone is born, but what they grow to be.”

Thanks for the lesson, lovely J.K. Rowling. I tried to be my best. Still do.
Kassidy
This is such an epic book!!!
The twists at the end were crazy. I love the character development and the development of the relationships. It's so fun seeing these characters grow :)
Isabelle
You always find out one new detail you missed the first time when you re-read it
Mohammed Al-Garawi
This book, in my opinion, is, without a shadow of a doubt, the best one of the first four books. I loved how the author established the environment in the first book, and I absolutely enjoyed how she established the characters of the story in the second and third books.

But this one is just different, this one showed me the brilliance of Rowling. I absolutely loved how she utilized everything she established previously, and at the same time introduced many new characters, and in the process, crea...more
kristin
This one answered a large percentage of the questions I bombarded The O'Malley with after watching HP7. It's been satisfying.

Here's some general stuff (that is, not specific to this installment):
Someone mentioned that Hagrid's indiscretion is recklessly dangerous or something. . . it kind of is, but I don't think he's as dangerous as Dumbledore. Here's why:
Big D* has about a bajillion opportunities to tell Harry everything he needs to know, and withholding information results in a whole lot more...more
  • Page (Protector of the Small, #2)
  • The Titan's Curse (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #3)
  • The Chronicles of Chrestomanci, Vol. 1 (Chrestomanci #1, #4)
  • The Magician (The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel, #2)
  • Rise of the Evening Star (Fablehaven, #2)
  • Midnight Over Sanctaphrax (Edge Chronicles, #3)
  • The Two Princesses of Bamarre
  • The Last Battle (Chronicles of Narnia, #7)
  • The Thief Lord
  • High Wizardry (Young Wizards, #3)
  • The Time Paradox (Artemis Fowl, #6)
  • The Shamer's Signet (The Shamer Chronicles, #2)
  • Rebel Angels (Gemma Doyle, #2)
  • The Dark is Rising (The Dark is Rising, #2)
  • Wolf Brother (Chronicles of Ancient Darkness, #1)
  • The Stranger (Animorphs, #7)
  • Queen of Sorcery (The Belgariad, #2)
  • The Valley of the Lost (Deltora Quest, #7)