Start by marking “Fat Girl: One Woman's Way Out” as Want to Read:
Fat Girl: One Woman's Way Out

Fat Girl: One Woman's Way Out

3.33  ·  Rating Details  ·  21 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
Published May 28th 1993 by HarperOne (first published May 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Fat Girl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fat Girl

tamarack
May 02, 2009 tamarack rated it really liked it
A very quick read and nice addition to my collection of Fat Books. Skillfully poetic and diary-esque, Fat Girl is a big like a zine, a bit like a chapbook, and a lot like a familiar friend. Things O'Garden writes choked me up at times unexpectedly as she takes the reader swiftly and softly through a life of battling (and not battling) against her weight. It is awe-striking to have it all condensed so simply into one small hardcover book.
Rebecca
Aug 30, 2012 Rebecca rated it really liked it
Poetic memoir that is honest. A short read with nice pictures that help tell the story. Look forward to reading more of her work. This would be a good book to read with your daughter and I plan on doing that when my daughter is a little older and has to deal with the pressures that young girls have to deal with concerning body image.
Jill
Aug 25, 2015 Jill rated it really liked it
It took me a dozen or so pages to get the feel of this poetic memoir. I wasn't too sure at first but by about two thirds of the way through, I started to see the truth come into focus for the author and I enjoyed her voice immensely.
Selkie
Apr 02, 2015 Selkie rated it it was ok
I am not really fond of the modern, broken poetic style in which this was written but it does have its moments. And the sketches in it are just wonderful
Jesse
Dec 23, 2007 Jesse rated it it was ok
So this is an illustrated autobiography of sorts and talks a lot about weight and perceptions of weight and the diet industry in American culture. But then things are convienently "wrapped up" when the woman loses enough weight to feel comfortable moving through the world. I don't know.
Mizbooks
Jul 11, 2008 Mizbooks rated it liked it
Bookcrossing "BookRay" book.

Good, but too much coarse language for my tastes.
Lori
Jul 24, 2007 Lori rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: those who struggle with or to understand those who struggle with weight
i will always keep this little square book on my shelf.
Kellie Demarsh
Kellie Demarsh marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2016
Amaya
Amaya added it
Dec 05, 2015
Stacy
Stacy rated it it was ok
Jun 20, 2015
Kellie Demarsh
Kellie Demarsh marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2015
nancy johnson
nancy johnson marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2015
Lori
Lori rated it liked it
Aug 14, 2014
JenniGo
JenniGo rated it really liked it
Aug 01, 2014
Erin
Erin rated it liked it
Jul 26, 2014
Sandy
Sandy rated it did not like it
Apr 14, 2014
Tayarta Brown
Tayarta Brown marked it as to-read
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Katherine L
Katherine L marked it as to-read
Courteney
Courteney marked it as to-read
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Leslie Aviles
Leslie Aviles marked it as to-read
Jenna
Jenna marked it as to-read
Paula
Paula marked it as to-read
Loretta
Loretta marked it as to-read
Shelley
Shelley marked it as to-read
Sally francis
Sally francis marked it as to-read
Oanh
Oanh marked it as to-read
  • No Body's Perfect
  • Good Girls Don't Get Fat: How Weight Obsession Is Messing Up Our Girls and How We Can Help Them Thrive Despite It
  • Alternate Beauty
  • The Eating Disorder Sourcebook: A Comprehensive Guide To The Causes, Treatments, And Prevention Of Eating Disorders
  • Political Mercenaries: The Inside Story of How Fundraisers Allowed Billionaires to Take Over Politics
  • This Page Intentionally Left Blank (Change 1): Memoirs of an Army Knucklehead
  • Comes the Darkness, Comes the Light: A Memoir of Cutting, Healing, and Hope
  • The PR Masterclass: How to Develop a Public Relations Strategy That Works!
  • Am I Thin Enough Yet?: The Cult of Thinness and the Commercialization of Identity
  • Thin Enough: My Spiritual Journey Through the Living Death of an Eating Disorder
  • Passion from the Vine
  • Unretirement: How Baby Boomers are Changing the Way We Think About Work, Community, and the Good Life
  • Seven Steps to a Healthy Baby: Quick, Easy, and Affordable Solutions to Make Your Home Green and Safe for Your Family
  • Victims No Longer: Men Recovering from Incest and Other Sexual Child Abuse
  • Soul Repair: Recovering from Moral Injury after War
  • Believing In Myself: Daily Meditations for Healing and Building Self-Esteem
  • Crave: Why You Binge Eat and How to Stop
  • The Prime Minister's Daughter
I was a midwest kid who majored in Theatre and English, moved to NYC to act. It eventually dawned on me you don't have to audition to write and I could say things that weren't being said by the playwrights whose works I acted in, so I began to write in earnest. That ongoing effort has resulted in:

My critically-acclaimed play, Women On Fire (Samuel French), played sold-out houses Off Broadway at t
More about Irene O'Garden...