Start by marking “Dan Rooney: My 75 years with the Pittsburgh Steelers and the NFL” as Want to Read:
Dan Rooney: My 75 years with the Pittsburgh Steelers and the NFL

Dan Rooney: My 75 years with the Pittsburgh Steelers and the NFL

4.08  ·  Rating Details  ·  155 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
In 2007, the Pittsburgh Steelers will turn seventy-five years old. So will Dan Rooney. In Dan Rooney, the owner talks about growing up on Pittsburgh’s North Side, competing with Johnny Unitas for top high school quarterback honors in western Pennsylvania, learning the ropes of big-time sports from his father and mentor, Art Rooney (“the Chief”), helping to shape the modern ...more
Published November 6th 2007 by Da Capo Press (first published November 5th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Dan Rooney, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dan Rooney

Friday Night Lights by H.G. BissingerThe Blind Side by Michael LewisQuiet Strength by Tony DungyAgainst the Grain by Bill CourtneyNever Die Easy by Walter Payton
Best (American) Football Books
40th out of 167 books — 79 voters
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. RowlingEclipse by Stephenie MeyerThe Name of the Wind by Patrick RothfussCity of Bones by Cassandra ClareA Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini
Best Books of 2007
349th out of 657 books — 711 voters

More lists with this book...

Brian
Sep 23, 2009 Brian rated it it was amazing
This is the biography of America's Ambassador to Ireland... but it's interesting because before he became the Ambassador he was the President of the Pittsburgh Steelers. This is his story, and is essentially the story of the entire NFL and the great city of Pittsburgh.

Some fun facts:
Art "The Chief" Rooney, Dan's dad and founder of the Steelers, was such a good boxer he was invited to box for the US in the Olympics. For some reason that I can't remember, he couldn't make it, but he ended up boxi
Todd Stockslager
Jun 02, 2015 Todd Stockslager rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography
Review title: The Rooney Rules
Dan Rooney is the same age as the Pittsburgh Steelers his father Art started as one of the founding franchises of the NFL, which outgrew its birthplace in a Canton, OH car dealer into a multi billion dollar industry bigger than most countries. So he grew up with the league, and is able to tell nearly the whole history of the league in first person.

The Rooneys, the team, and the city are inextricably linked, an amazing success story that transcends sports, finances,
Rossrn Nunamaker
Apr 03, 2008 Rossrn Nunamaker rated it really liked it
Rooney tells of growing up on the North Side in Pittsburgh, and gave an insider's look to the formation and growth of both the NFL and the Steelers.

In a sense it was also a business book as Rooney discussed situations, decisions, and outcomes along with some hindsight and examples of how earlier 'mistakes' led to future 'corrections'.

Couldn't imagine a Steelers fan who wouldn't enjoy this book.
Amy
Jun 21, 2008 Amy rated it really liked it
more than just a history of the steelers. easy and fascinating read for anyone who loves football and/or the pittsburgh steelers.

yes, you can take the girl out of western PA, but you can't take the western PA out of the girl....
Maher
Nov 14, 2007 Maher rated it it was amazing
A great story told with no pretense and artifice. Quite befitting the Charirman of the Steelers.
Chuck
Jan 25, 2016 Chuck rated it it was ok
First I am a huge Steeler fan. I thought this would be a very interesting read about the Steelers and the NFL. I really could not get in to this book. The writing was weak and the story jumped around so much that it was very tough to read. I would not recommend this to anybody. It is by far the worse book that I have read in quite some time. No flow, weak writing, hard to follow. Just very disappointing.
Barbaraleah
Dec 28, 2011 Barbaraleah rated it it was amazing
Shelves: shared
Dan Rooney is the last of the men who were there at the birth of the NFL. This book details that beginning and as a Steeler fan and a Rooney family fan, I enjoyed every last bit of it. The Rooneys are a class act and this book shows where that grace and class was born. The book was written before Ben Roethlisberger's escapades so if you are interested in Mr. Rooney's take on that dark period of the Steeler history you will be disappointed.
An excellent read for any football fan and a must read fo
Kristine
Sep 04, 2012 Kristine rated it it was amazing
Dan Rooney, the son of the founder of The Pittsburgh Steelers, is the same age as the organization. He watched his father, Art Rooney "The Chief" help form the NFL and The Steelers. Dan started out as a water boy and worked his way to President of the Steelers organization. He's been a devoted husband, father of nine, and advocate for positive change in the NFL. What an interesting book, especially for those of us who have grown up in Pittsburgh!
Dallas Schiegg
Sep 13, 2013 Dallas Schiegg rated it liked it
Shelves: pittsburgh
I am a native Pittsburgher born in the same part of town as the Rooney family, yet I do not share Dan Rooney's outlook. I especially find his tireless Irish American bravado particularly annoying. Ireland must ,indeed,be a wonderful country: St Pat got rid of the snakes, and they sent all thier assholes to live in America.

In short: too much Rooney, (I really don't care what you did on you family vaccination), and not enough Steelers.
Mahlon
Jan 09, 2009 Mahlon rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Steelers fans, NFL fans
Recommended to Mahlon by: Amazon
Shelves: read-2009
Dan Rooney's Autobiography offers the reader an insider's view of the formation of the Pittsburgh Steelers and the growth of the NFL through the eyes of the man who's played a key role in every NFL decision for the past half-century. Although this book is not very well written it does contain many bits of inside information that I hadn't seen in other books.
Keith Reed
Jun 19, 2010 Keith Reed rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoirs
Rambling in some places and overall average as memoirs go. But if you're at all interested in sports, especially the history of the NFL-- not just the steelers -- as it unfolded behind the scenes from the beginning, I recommend.
Mageela
People might tell you that you should write your life story they might be kissing your butt like they did Dan Rooney. If you are a Steelers fan then you might like this book otherwise stay away.
John
Jul 09, 2009 John rated it really liked it
Good insight into not just the Rooney family but the history of the NFL as well. Being a die-hard Steelers fan, I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. But it's not just for Steelers fans.
Jeff
Sep 08, 2008 Jeff rated it really liked it
You don't have to be a Steeler fan to enjoy this book, because it includes a lot of great history of the NFL itself. But it probably helps to be a fan of the Black and Gold!
Chris Dean
Apr 23, 2013 Chris Dean rated it liked it
I enjoyed it simply because I am a Steeler fan. Not sure if it would be as well received by a passing fan or someone with just casual interest.
Bgkbarb Kochuba
Probably one of my most favorite books - great development of Steeler History and the Rooney's - re-read every fall
Irishros Naser
May 27, 2012 Irishros Naser rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am not a sports fan but enjoyed this book as I quizzed my husband on his knowledge along the way.
Tara O'neill
Jan 13, 2010 Tara O'neill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book about football and the NFL, but a must-read for true Pittsburgh fans!
Mike Burke
Feb 26, 2014 Mike Burke rated it it was amazing
great book good history of the NFL and the steelers
Meredith
Apr 16, 2009 Meredith rated it it was amazing
It is a story about family, faith, and Steelers football.
Darcey McKay
Darcey McKay marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2016
William Donofrio
William Donofrio is currently reading it
Apr 22, 2016
Frederick
Frederick rated it really liked it
Apr 10, 2016
Hank Weaver
Hank Weaver marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2016
Amanda Yates
Amanda Yates marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2016
De'Monte Xolani
De'Monte Xolani marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2016
Dan Malloy
Dan Malloy rated it it was amazing
Mar 10, 2016
Steven North
Steven North marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2016
Tammy Guthrie
Tammy Guthrie rated it liked it
Feb 20, 2016
Ian Donnelly
Ian Donnelly marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • It's Only a Game
  • About Three Bricks Shy: And The Load Filled Up
  • The Ones Who Hit the Hardest: The Steelers, the Cowboys, the '70s, and the Fight for America's Soul
  • Their Life's Work: The Brotherhood of the 1970s Pittsburgh Steelers, Then and Now
  • 21: The Story of Roberto Clemente
  • Iron Horse: Lou Gehrig in His Time
  • Maybe I'll Pitch Forever
  • Home Run: The Story of Babe Ruth
  • Big Red: Three Months on Board a Trident Nuclear Submarine
  • Kiss It Good-Bye: The Mystery, the Mormon, and the Moral of the 1960 Pittsburgh Pirates
  • The Bus: My Life in and out of a Helmet
  • October Men: Reggie Jackson, George Steinbrenner, Billy Martin, and the Yankees' Miraculous Finish in 1978
  • Clemente: The Passion and Grace of Baseball's Last Hero