Dan Rooney: My 75 years with the Pittsburgh Steelers and the NFL

Dan Rooney: My 75 years with the Pittsburgh Steelers and the NFL

4.12 of 5 stars 4.12  ·  rating details  ·  126 ratings  ·  18 reviews
In 2007, the Pittsburgh Steelers will turn seventy-five years old. So will Dan Rooney. In Dan Rooney, the owner talks about growing up on Pittsburgh’s North Side, competing with Johnny Unitas for top high school quarterback honors in western Pennsylvania, learning the ropes of big-time sports from his father and mentor, Art Rooney (“the Chief”), helping to shape the modern...more
Published November 6th 2007 by Da Capo Press (first published November 5th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Dan Rooney, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dan Rooney

Friday Night Lights by H.G. BissingerQuiet Strength by Tony DungyAgainst the Grain by Bill CourtneyWhen Pride Still Mattered by David MaranissThe Blind Side by Michael Lewis
Best (American) Football Books
34th out of 136 books — 64 voters
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. RowlingEclipse by Stephenie MeyerThe Name of the Wind by Patrick RothfussA Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled HosseiniCity of Bones by Cassandra Clare
Best Books of 2007
313th out of 580 books — 648 voters

More lists with this book...

Brian
This is the biography of America's Ambassador to Ireland... but it's interesting because before he became the Ambassador he was the President of the Pittsburgh Steelers. This is his story, and is essentially the story of the entire NFL and the great city of Pittsburgh.

Some fun facts:
Art "The Chief" Rooney, Dan's dad and founder of the Steelers, was such a good boxer he was invited to box for the US in the Olympics. For some reason that I can't remember, he couldn't make it, but he ended up boxi...more
Rossrn Nunamaker
Rooney tells of growing up on the North Side in Pittsburgh, and gave an insider's look to the formation and growth of both the NFL and the Steelers.

In a sense it was also a business book as Rooney discussed situations, decisions, and outcomes along with some hindsight and examples of how earlier 'mistakes' led to future 'corrections'.

Couldn't imagine a Steelers fan who wouldn't enjoy this book.
Amy
more than just a history of the steelers. easy and fascinating read for anyone who loves football and/or the pittsburgh steelers.

yes, you can take the girl out of western PA, but you can't take the western PA out of the girl....
Maher
A great story told with no pretense and artifice. Quite befitting the Charirman of the Steelers.
Barbaraleah
Dan Rooney is the last of the men who were there at the birth of the NFL. This book details that beginning and as a Steeler fan and a Rooney family fan, I enjoyed every last bit of it. The Rooneys are a class act and this book shows where that grace and class was born. The book was written before Ben Roethlisberger's escapades so if you are interested in Mr. Rooney's take on that dark period of the Steeler history you will be disappointed.
An excellent read for any football fan and a must read fo...more
Kristine
Dan Rooney, the son of the founder of The Pittsburgh Steelers, is the same age as the organization. He watched his father, Art Rooney "The Chief" help form the NFL and The Steelers. Dan started out as a water boy and worked his way to President of the Steelers organization. He's been a devoted husband, father of nine, and advocate for positive change in the NFL. What an interesting book, especially for those of us who have grown up in Pittsburgh!
Dallas Schiegg
I am a native Pittsburgher born in the same part of town as the Rooney family, yet I do not share Dan Rooney's outlook. I especially find his tireless Irish American bravado particularly annoying. Ireland must ,indeed,be a wonderful country: St Pat got rid of the snakes, and they sent all thier assholes to live in America.

In short: too much Rooney, (I really don't care what you did on you family vaccination), and not enough Steelers.
Mahlon
Jan 09, 2009 Mahlon rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Steelers fans, NFL fans
Recommended to Mahlon by: Amazon
Shelves: read-2009
Dan Rooney's Autobiography offers the reader an insider's view of the formation of the Pittsburgh Steelers and the growth of the NFL through the eyes of the man who's played a key role in every NFL decision for the past half-century. Although this book is not very well written it does contain many bits of inside information that I hadn't seen in other books.
Keith Reed
Rambling in some places and overall average as memoirs go. But if you're at all interested in sports, especially the history of the NFL-- not just the steelers -- as it unfolded behind the scenes from the beginning, I recommend.
Mageela
People might tell you that you should write your life story they might be kissing your butt like they did Dan Rooney. If you are a Steelers fan then you might like this book otherwise stay away.
John
Good insight into not just the Rooney family but the history of the NFL as well. Being a die-hard Steelers fan, I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. But it's not just for Steelers fans.
Jeff
You don't have to be a Steeler fan to enjoy this book, because it includes a lot of great history of the NFL itself. But it probably helps to be a fan of the Black and Gold!
Chris Dean
I enjoyed it simply because I am a Steeler fan. Not sure if it would be as well received by a passing fan or someone with just casual interest.
Bgkbarb Kochuba
Probably one of my most favorite books - great development of Steeler History and the Rooney's - re-read every fall
Irishros Naser
I am not a sports fan but enjoyed this book as I quizzed my husband on his knowledge along the way.
Tara O'neill
Great book about football and the NFL, but a must-read for true Pittsburgh fans!
Mike Burke
great book good history of the NFL and the steelers
Meredith
It is a story about family, faith, and Steelers football.
Seth Patrik
Seth Patrik marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2014
Carol
Carol added it
Aug 03, 2014
Jo Van lear
Jo Van lear marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2014
Tmw
Tmw marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2014
James Mccall
James Mccall marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014
Kelley
Kelley marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2014
Scott Williams
Scott Williams marked it as to-read
May 26, 2014
Dan Cardamone
Dan Cardamone marked it as to-read
May 14, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Allegheny City: A History of Pittsburgh�s North Side A Patriot's Calling: Living Life Between Fear and Faith Dan Rooney: My 75 Years with the Pittsburgh Steelers and the NFL SIX TIMES SUPER: The Official Book of the Super Bowl XLIII Champion Pittsburgh Steelers