Start by marking “The Hope Chest (Brides of Lancaster County, #4)” as Want to Read:
The Hope Chest (Brides of Lancaster County, #4)

The Hope Chest (Brides of Lancaster County #4)

4.17  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,077 Ratings  ·  39 Reviews
Rachel Beachy wants something she can't have-her sister Anna's boyfriend. Silas Swartley has been in love with Anna since they were children, and Rachel has loved Silas nearly as long. Rachel feels that her swiftly moving days are spent without hope, but when Anna unexpectedly leaves the Amish faith, Rachel's hope is rekindled. She begins filling her hope chest as she init
Published February 1st 2007 by Barbour Books (first published May 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Hope Chest, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hope Chest

Natalie
Disclaimer: This is the last book in the series, and anyone who wants to read it should read Plain and Fancy first even if they don't read the rest of the books.

This was ok. I think that one of the main characters Rachel's sister, Anna, helped ruin it for me. I felt like it was unrealistic that their mom could conceive and raise five children even though she was paralyzed. Overall, I liked Rebekah's story best even though I haven't read the third one.
Gabrielle
Aug 22, 2015 Gabrielle rated it really liked it
Shelves: christian, fiction, amish
Rachel Beachy is in love with her sister Anna's boyfriend. Anna doesn't pay Silas any attention and doesn't act like she cares that he likes her. Rachel has fallen in love with the sweet Silas and doesn't know if she should tell her sister how she feels or not. When Anna tells everyone a secret she has been keeping the Amish community is flipped upside down and so is Rachel and her family. Anna decides to leave her Amish faith behind after secretly getting married. Now forced with the harsh real ...more
Lin
Jan 08, 2016 Lin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Danelle
Recommended to Lin by: Ida I believe
I found the book very well written, I really felt the emotions of the family members, not just the main character Rachel. The scene where she found her father took me right into Rachael's panic. The fact that Anna gave Rachel her hope chest when she left and Rachel didn't open it, showed how much Rachael was convinced Anna would change her mind. I love reading about such a pure why of living, the Amish have a special reverence for living the way we all should. The scene on the back porch with Ra ...more
Janet C.
Nov 28, 2013 Janet C. rated it really liked it
Shelves: amish-fiction
#4 Brides of Lancaster.
Enjoyed this 4 book series. Rachel Beachy has been in love with Silas for many years. Silas was in love with her older sister Anna. Anna decided to marry Reuban and they leave the Amish life. This book was interesting because it explores how the family feels when a child decides to embrace the English life. It also shows how generations leave legacy's by tying the 4th book with the first in the series.

For thou art my hope, oh God: thou art my trust from my youth. Psalm 71
Tina
Feb 04, 2016 Tina rated it really liked it
Such and enjoyable story, I always learn something new about the Amish way of life when I read these stories. I highly recommend this to anyone who enjoys an easy read Amish romance.
Tole Wilson

Excellent.
Patricia Marvin Hilfiker
Jan 30, 2016 Patricia Marvin Hilfiker rated it it was amazing
Another great book. I loved the book and am sorry that this is the last of this series. When you finish reading one of Wanda's books you can't wait to start the next. Can't wait to start another series.
Lynn Grier
Jul 26, 2014 Lynn Grier rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brides of Lancaster County is a wonderful series. I have read books 2-4, somehow I missed the first book which I will read. I can not get enough of Wanda. Her books are amazing and can't get enough. This series is a keeper and to be read many times over.
Aleida Oskam
Het laatste boek in de serie De Bruiden van Lancaster County. Wat zal ik er over zeggen. Eigenlijk toch weer een boek als de andere. Niet super tof maar ook niet vervelend om te lezen.
Sandy Duke
Feb 15, 2014 Sandy Duke rated it liked it
This was a nice read, but kind of had an abrupt ending. I don't know if it was just me, but the last quarter of the book had me in tears so keep your tissues handy.
Jessie Cumpson
Sep 11, 2014 Jessie Cumpson rated it really liked it
This book was also very moving. A lot about trust and leaning on God. The whole series is worth reading, if you are into Amish love stories. Easy read.
Shirley Dolin Snider
Oct 29, 2013 Shirley Dolin Snider rated it really liked it
Was saddened to realize the oldest daughter remained English and didn't return to her Amish upbringing. Great storyline, had me till the very last page.
Mom
Sep 11, 2014 Mom rated it really liked it
Amish life is interesting - I think it would be very hard to be shunned by your family and for the family to have to shun one of their own.
Louise E.
Dec 20, 2015 Louise E. rated it liked it
Good story. I feel a little disappointed in this author. So much detail in her stories. But, when the end comes...it's blunt.
Sandra Swartz
Feb 07, 2016 Sandra Swartz rated it really liked it
It was interesting. A lot more drama than the other three that is for sure.
Joseph Bradley
the series continues...not much new in plot
Pelican Rapids
Mar 30, 2015 Pelican Rapids rated it really liked it
Shelves: cpb
Very sad story but a happy ending.
Alisha
Lynne Kravitt
Great Book.
Emma-Jean
Jan 14, 2013 Emma-Jean rated it really liked it
Rachel Beachy is a tomboy who loves climbing trees and being outdoors. But on the other hand, her sister Anna is very different. You could say, VERY different. Rachel is perfectly satisfied with the Amish way of life, but she has one problem. She is in love with her sister's boyfriend, Silas Swartley. While Anna doesn't seem to take a liking to the Amish way of life, even though she has been baptized into the Faith, she has little feelings for Silas! When Anna up and leaves the Amish Faith, Sil ...more
Tasha enderby
Mar 12, 2011 Tasha enderby rated it liked it
Shelves: 2011, amish
This book was not a thrilling read but it did have some of really good points. It's a book that contiually shows you that snooping and listening in on conversations does nothing but hurt your feelings. I think this is a lesson we all have trouble with because we just have to know what is being said exspecially if two people feel the need to have it in private. I know I am guilty of this one. Rebecca starts off by hiding in tree's listening to conversations from her older sister, the hiding behin ...more
Karen & Gerard
I enjoyed The Hope Chest by Wanda E. Brunstetter about an Amish family whose eldest daughter left the faith to marry an Amish man who chose to leave the Amish community because he liked the modern things. An Amish man wanted to court her but she kept putting him off and encouraged him to court her younger sister instead who she felt was a better match for him. Her younger sister, Rachel, actually did hope to marry him some day.

Of the three books in the "Brides of Lancaster" series, I liked this
Heather
Apr 08, 2016 Heather rated it it was amazing
such a good book.these books are always great and teach so much about the lord. we should have hope and faith in the lord, for with out his guidance we truly can become lost. psalms 71:5 for thou art my hop, o Lord God, thou art my trust from my youth.
Kaye
Apr 03, 2011 Kaye rated it liked it
Shelves: romance
The fourth in a series of Amish romances. This book has a younger sister crushing on the boy who wants to court her older sister. When the older sister elopes with another Amish man who has decided to live English she hopes the attention of the boy will turn to her. These are simple stories, clean and faith promoting. The details of the Amish lifestyle are still fun but I don't feel compelled to read other books written by the author.
Carolyn
Nov 01, 2012 Carolyn rated it it was amazing

Love these books. The author gives us much insight into the way the Amish lives. It isn't that much unlike the way we live in the English world. The same things make us laugh, love, and grieve. The Amish just do it without our modern "conveniences".
Ashley
Jun 18, 2009 Ashley rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Any one even though I think Girls would like it better then boys. LOL
I LOVE all of my Wanda E. Brunstetter....I would be done with them in a week. (Norm)
Then bum because I didn't have any more of hers to read....Then I'd get the next one and start it all over again.:)
David
Jan 14, 2008 David rated it it was ok
Who knew the Amish were so preoccupied with incestuous lesbianism, ritual cannibalism, and bestiality? (Actually, it’s not like that at all. Best read aloud with friends.)
Crystal
May 06, 2013 Crystal rated it liked it
Shelves: amish
was ok, i over all didn't much care for this series of books, but i am a cindy woodsmall freak, so its hard to get into anything else
  • Plain Promise (Daughters of the Promise, #3)
  • Rebecca's Promise (Adams County #1)
  • Spring's Renewal (Seasons of Sugarcreek, #2)
  • When the Soul Mends (Sisters of the Quilt, #3)
  • The Forbidden (The Courtship of Nellie Fisher, #2)
  • A Hand to Hold (Hearts of Middlefield, #3)
  • The Search (Lancaster County Secrets, #3)
  • A Place of Peace (Kauffman Amish Bakery, #3)
  • Lilly's Wedding Quilt (Patch of Heaven, #2)
A nationally recognized authority on the Amish community, Wanda E. Brunstetter has sold more than seven million copies of her fiction and nonfiction books. Wanda enjoys an uncommon kinship with the Amish and continues to visit their communities throughout the country. Her books have won numerous awards and topped several bestselling charts.
More about Wanda E. Brunstetter...

Brides of Lancaster County (4 books)
  • A Merry Heart (Brides of Lancaster County, #1)
  • Looking for a Miracle (Brides of Lancaster County, #2)
  • Plain and Fancy (Brides of Lancaster County, #3)

“I've come to realize that the only way to deal with life's problems is to walk close to the Lord.” 1 likes
“If we keep God at the center of our lives and put our hope and trust in Him, the love and happiness we feel today will only grow stronger.” 0 likes