Start by marking “The Hope Chest (Brides of Lancaster County, #4)” as Want to Read:
The Hope Chest (Brides of Lancaster County, #4)

The Hope Chest (Brides of Lancaster County #4)

4.17 of 5 stars 4.17  ·  rating details  ·  1,026 ratings  ·  30 reviews
Rachel Beachy wants something she can't have-her sister Anna's boyfriend. Silas Swartley has been in love with Anna since they were children, and Rachel has loved Silas nearly as long. Rachel feels that her swiftly moving days are spent without hope, but when Anna unexpectedly leaves the Amish faith, Rachel's hope is rekindled. She begins filling her hope chest as she init
Published February 1st 2007 by Barbour Books (first published May 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Hope Chest, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hope Chest

Disclaimer: This is the last book in the series, and anyone who wants to read it should read Plain and Fancy first even if they don't read the rest of the books.

This was ok. I think that one of the main characters Rachel's sister, Anna, helped ruin it for me. I felt like it was unrealistic that their mom could conceive and raise five children even though she was paralyzed. Overall, I liked Rebekah's story best even though I haven't read the third one.
Rachel Beachy is in love with her sister Anna's boyfriend. Anna doesn't pay Silas any attention and doesn't act like she cares that he likes her. Rachel has fallen in love with the sweet Silas and doesn't know if she should tell her sister how she feels or not. When Anna tells everyone a secret she has been keeping the Amish community is flipped upside down and so is Rachel and her family. Anna decides to leave her Amish faith behind after secretly getting married. Now forced with the harsh real ...more
Rachel Beachy is a tomboy who loves climbing trees and being outdoors. But on the other hand, her sister Anna is very different. You could say, VERY different. Rachel is perfectly satisfied with the Amish way of life, but she has one problem. She is in love with her sister's boyfriend, Silas Swartley. While Anna doesn't seem to take a liking to the Amish way of life, even though she has been baptized into the Faith, she has little feelings for Silas! When Anna up and leaves the Amish Faith, Sil ...more
Tasha enderby
This book was not a thrilling read but it did have some of really good points. It's a book that contiually shows you that snooping and listening in on conversations does nothing but hurt your feelings. I think this is a lesson we all have trouble with because we just have to know what is being said exspecially if two people feel the need to have it in private. I know I am guilty of this one. Rebecca starts off by hiding in tree's listening to conversations from her older sister, the hiding behin ...more
I enjoyed The Hope Chest by Wanda E. Brunstetter about an Amish family whose eldest daughter left the faith to marry an Amish man who chose to leave the Amish community because he liked the modern things. An Amish man wanted to court her but she kept putting him off and encouraged him to court her younger sister instead who she felt was a better match for him. Her younger sister, Rachel, actually did hope to marry him some day.

Of the three books in the "Brides of Lancaster" series, I liked this
Sandy Duke
This was a nice read, but kind of had an abrupt ending. I don't know if it was just me, but the last quarter of the book had me in tears so keep your tissues handy.
Lynn Grier
Brides of Lancaster County is a wonderful series. I have read books 2-4, somehow I missed the first book which I will read. I can not get enough of Wanda. Her books are amazing and can't get enough. This series is a keeper and to be read many times over.
no review yet :)
Janet C.
#4 Brides of Lancaster.
Enjoyed this 4 book series. Rachel Beachy has been in love with Silas for many years. Silas was in love with her older sister Anna. Anna decided to marry Reuban and they leave the Amish life. This book was interesting because it explores how the family feels when a child decides to embrace the English life. It also shows how generations leave legacy's by tying the 4th book with the first in the series.

For thou art my hope, oh God: thou art my trust from my youth. Psalm 71
The fourth in a series of Amish romances. This book has a younger sister crushing on the boy who wants to court her older sister. When the older sister elopes with another Amish man who has decided to live English she hopes the attention of the boy will turn to her. These are simple stories, clean and faith promoting. The details of the Amish lifestyle are still fun but I don't feel compelled to read other books written by the author.
Jessie Cumpson
This book was also very moving. A lot about trust and leaning on God. The whole series is worth reading, if you are into Amish love stories. Easy read.
Amish life is interesting - I think it would be very hard to be shunned by your family and for the family to have to shun one of their own.
Pelican Rapids
Very sad story but a happy ending.

Love these books. The author gives us much insight into the way the Amish lives. It isn't that much unlike the way we live in the English world. The same things make us laugh, love, and grieve. The Amish just do it without our modern "conveniences".
Jun 18, 2009 Ashley rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Any one even though I think Girls would like it better then boys. LOL
I LOVE all of my Wanda E. Brunstetter....I would be done with them in a week. (Norm)
Then bum because I didn't have any more of hers to read....Then I'd get the next one and start it all over again.:)
Aleida Oskam
Het laatste boek in de serie De Bruiden van Lancaster County. Wat zal ik er over zeggen. Eigenlijk toch weer een boek als de andere. Niet super tof maar ook niet vervelend om te lezen.
Who knew the Amish were so preoccupied with incestuous lesbianism, ritual cannibalism, and bestiality? (Actually, it’s not like that at all. Best read aloud with friends.)
Shirley Dolin Snider
Was saddened to realize the oldest daughter remained English and didn't return to her Amish upbringing. Great storyline, had me till the very last page.
was ok, i over all didn't much care for this series of books, but i am a cindy woodsmall freak, so its hard to get into anything else
All the things you thought might happen in other books end up happening in the end of this series.
Mar 20, 2008 Emilee added it
I enjoyed this book as well. I love the way Wanda writes her stories. They are very entertaining.
My first Wanda Brunstetter. And definitely won't be my last!
Bryn S
was good. like the series, but is not of my faves...
Jun 14, 2008 Lisa marked it as to-read
Brides of Lancaster County series / book four
Aug 08, 2013 Londi added it
Definitely worth reading!
Love the Amish books/series.
Good book.
Lynne Kravitt
Great Book.
loved this series
  • Plain Paradise (Daughters of the Promise, #4)
  • The Longing (The Courtship of Nellie Fisher, #3)
  • Spring's Renewal (Seasons of Sugarcreek, #2)
  • Rebecca's Promise (Adams County #1)
  • When the Soul Mends
  • Lilly's Wedding Quilt (Patch of Heaven, #2)
  • A Life of Joy (Kauffman Amish Bakery, #4)
  • An Honest Love (Hearts of Middlefield, #2)
  • Blessings (Sommerfield Trilogy, #3)
A nationally recognized authority on the Amish community, Wanda E. Brunstetter has sold more than seven million copies of her fiction and nonfiction books. Wanda enjoys an uncommon kinship with the Amish and continues to visit their communities throughout the country. Her books have won numerous awards and topped several bestselling charts.
More about Wanda E. Brunstetter...

Brides of Lancaster County (4 books)
  • A Merry Heart (Brides of Lancaster County, #1)
  • Looking for a Miracle (Brides of Lancaster County, #2)
  • Plain and Fancy (Brides of Lancaster County, #3)

“I've come to realize that the only way to deal with life's problems is to walk close to the Lord.” 1 likes
“If we keep God at the center of our lives and put our hope and trust in Him, the love and happiness we feel today will only grow stronger.” 0 likes