The Hope Chest (Brides of Lancaster County, #4)

The Hope Chest (Brides of Lancaster County #4)

4.18 of 5 stars 4.18  ·  rating details  ·  846 ratings  ·  22 reviews
Rachel Beachy wants something she can't have-her sister Anna's boyfriend. Silas Swartley has been in love with Anna since they were children, and Rachel has loved Silas nearly as long. Rachel feels that her swiftly moving days are spent without hope, but when Anna unexpectedly leaves the Amish faith, Rachel's hope is rekindled. She begins filling her hope chest as she init
Published February 1st 2007 by Barbour Books (first published May 1st 2002)

Natalie
Disclaimer: This is the last book in the series, and anyone who wants to read it should read Plain and Fancy first even if they don't read the rest of the books.

This was ok. I think that one of the main characters Rachel's sister, Anna, helped ruin it for me. I felt like it was unrealistic that their mom could conceive and raise five children even though she was paralyzed. Overall, I liked Rebekah's story best even though I haven't read the third one.
Emma-Jean
Rachel Beachy is a tomboy who loves climbing trees and being outdoors. But on the other hand, her sister Anna is very different. You could say, VERY different. Rachel is perfectly satisfied with the Amish way of life, but she has one problem. She is in love with her sister's boyfriend, Silas Swartley. While Anna doesn't seem to take a liking to the Amish way of life, even though she has been baptized into the Faith, she has little feelings for Silas! When Anna up and leaves the Amish Faith, Sil...more
Tasha enderby
This book was not a thrilling read but it did have some of really good points. It's a book that contiually shows you that snooping and listening in on conversations does nothing but hurt your feelings. I think this is a lesson we all have trouble with because we just have to know what is being said exspecially if two people feel the need to have it in private. I know I am guilty of this one. Rebecca starts off by hiding in tree's listening to conversations from her older sister, the hiding behin...more
Karen & Gerard
I enjoyed The Hope Chest by Wanda E. Brunstetter about an Amish family whose eldest daughter left the faith to marry an Amish man who chose to leave the Amish community because he liked the modern things. An Amish man wanted to court her but she kept putting him off and encouraged him to court her younger sister instead who she felt was a better match for him. Her younger sister, Rachel, actually did hope to marry him some day.

Of the three books in the "Brides of Lancaster" series, I liked this...more
Sandy Duke
This was a nice read, but kind of had an abrupt ending. I don't know if it was just me, but the last quarter of the book had me in tears so keep your tissues handy.
Janet C.
#4 Brides of Lancaster.
Enjoyed this 4 book series. Rachel Beachy has been in love with Silas for many years. Silas was in love with her older sister Anna. Anna decided to marry Reuban and they leave the Amish life. This book was interesting because it explores how the family feels when a child decides to embrace the English life. It also shows how generations leave legacy's by tying the 4th book with the first in the series.

For thou art my hope, oh God: thou art my trust from my youth. Psalm 71...more
Kaye
The fourth in a series of Amish romances. This book has a younger sister crushing on the boy who wants to court her older sister. When the older sister elopes with another Amish man who has decided to live English she hopes the attention of the boy will turn to her. These are simple stories, clean and faith promoting. The details of the Amish lifestyle are still fun but I don't feel compelled to read other books written by the author.
Carolyn

Love these books. The author gives us much insight into the way the Amish lives. It isn't that much unlike the way we live in the English world. The same things make us laugh, love, and grieve. The Amish just do it without our modern "conveniences".
Ashley
Jun 18, 2009 Ashley rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Any one even though I think Girls would like it better then boys. LOL
I LOVE all of my Wanda E. Brunstetter....I would be done with them in a week. (Norm)
Then bum because I didn't have any more of hers to read....Then I'd get the next one and start it all over again.:)
David
Who knew the Amish were so preoccupied with incestuous lesbianism, ritual cannibalism, and bestiality? (Actually, it’s not like that at all. Best read aloud with friends.)
Shirley Dolin Snider
Was saddened to realize the oldest daughter remained English and didn't return to her Amish upbringing. Great storyline, had me till the very last page.
Crystal
was ok, i over all didn't much care for this series of books, but i am a cindy woodsmall freak, so its hard to get into anything else
Maura
All the things you thought might happen in other books end up happening in the end of this series.
Emilee
Mar 20, 2008 Emilee added it
I enjoyed this book as well. I love the way Wanda writes her stories. They are very entertaining.
Stephanie
My first Wanda Brunstetter. And definitely won't be my last!
Bryn S
was good. like the series, but is not of my faves...
Lisa
Jun 14, 2008 Lisa marked it as to-read
Brides of Lancaster County series / book four
Londi
Aug 08, 2013 Londi added it
Definitely worth reading!
Linda
Love the Amish books/series.
Lynne Kravitt
Mar 12, 2009 Cws added it
Shelves: jf
JF-YABru
Chrisanne Penn
Chrisanne Penn marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2014
  • Plain Promise (Daughters of the Promise, #3)
  • Rebecca's Promise (Adams County #1)
  • When the Soul Mends
  • Spring's Renewal (Seasons of Sugarcreek, #2)
  • An Honest Love (Hearts of Middlefield, #2)
  • A Place of Peace (Kauffman Amish Bakery, #3)
  • Lilly's Wedding Quilt (Patch of Heaven, #2)
  • The Longing (The Courtship of Nellie Fisher, #3)
  • Blessings (Sommerfield Trilogy, #3)
  • Rachel's Secret (The Riverhaven Years, #1)
  • A Widow's Hope (Miller Family, #1)
A nationally recognized authority on the Amish community, Wanda E. Brunstetter has sold more than seven million copies of her fiction and nonfiction books. Wanda enjoys an uncommon kinship with the Amish and continues to visit their communities throughout the country. Her books have won numerous awards and topped several bestselling charts.
More about Wanda E. Brunstetter...
The Bishop's Daughter (Daughter of Lancaster County, #3) The Storekeeper's Daughter (Daughters of Lancaster County, #1) The Quilter's Daughter (Daughters of Lancaster County, #2) A Cousin's Promise (Indiana Cousins, #1) A Sister's Secret (Sisters of Holmes County, #1)

“I've come to realize that the only way to deal with life's problems is to walk close to the Lord.” 0 likes
“If we keep God at the center of our lives and put our hope and trust in Him, the love and happiness we feel today will only grow stronger.” 0 likes