Start by marking “Raven (Orphans, #4)” as Want to Read:
Raven (Orphans, #4)

Raven (Orphans #4)

3.66  ·  Rating Details  ·  4,027 Ratings  ·  48 Reviews
ALL SHE WANTED WAS AN END TO BROKEN PROMISES....
Her Mama made it painfully clear that she wished Raven had never been born. But even after she was sent to live with her kindly aunt and domineering uncle, humiliating secrets lurked-- and threatened to dash forever Raven's dream of a true home...
Published January 27th 1999 by Pocket Books (first published January 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Raven, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Raven

The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. SalingerThe Basic Eight by Daniel HandlerThe Secret History by Donna TarttGhost World by Daniel ClowesBroken Point by Donna K. Childree
List of fiction featuring disenchanted youth
91st out of 105 books — 42 voters
Room by Emma DonoghueRebecca by Daphne du MaurierRoxaboxen by Alice McLerranReef by Romesh GunesekeraRailsea by China Miéville
One Word Titles - R
42nd out of 46 books — 7 voters

More lists with this book...

♥Xeni♥
Dec 07, 2010 ♥Xeni♥ rated it it was amazing
Raven was the orphan that I felt most disturbed by. Her past seemed to be just one horror story after another, and although we often hear about black-folks troubles, somehow Raven's seemed to lose a bit of that racial coloring as her story progressed.

I remember the details of her story the most clearly, probably because they were just the most horrific. Needless to say, it was moving and I enjoyed glimpsing life so different from mine.
Michelle
Feb 24, 2013 Michelle rated it liked it
Raven hasn't had an easy life. Her single mom is an alcoholic and sometimes drug user. Raven is home alone mostly and takes care of the rundown apartment they live in. She skips school because no one is there to tell her she has to go. When her mom is arrested, Raven is sent to live with her mom's brother, Reuben. An overbearing bully in his own home, his wife and children are terrified of him and his temper. Very set in his ways, he believes Raven is a bad apple, just like her mother. He treats ...more
Becky
Jan 02, 2016 Becky rated it it was ok
“Raven” by V.C. Andrews is the fourth and final book in the Orphan Miniseries. What set this book apart from the other three was that Raven is not actually an orphan. We learn early on that her mother is a drug addict and barely pays attention to her daughter. When she gets picked up and thrown in jail, Raven is sent to live with her Aunt Clara and Uncle Reuben. That is when the real nightmare starts for her.

Raven quickly learns that the home she has been brought to is an unhappy one, and that h
Kimberly
Mar 15, 2014 Kimberly rated it it was ok
VC Andrews has always been a favorite of mine since my childhood days. I have read (and re-read) all of her books, and although I am much older now and find that some of her work is better than others, I still enjoy the twists and turns, strangeness and mystery that continues to captivate my interest.
With that being said - it might also explain why I find the ghostwriter's quality of work lacking and less memorable than Andrews true writing, especially with the newer, more modern series.

If your
Kris - My Novelesque Life
When I read these novels back in the day I would have given them 3-3.5 STARS and now would say about one Star

I started reading VC Andrews books in the 1991 and stopped about 2003.

I have read:
-Hudson Series
-Shooting Stars Series
-DeBeers Series
-Broken Wings Series

As a preteen reading these novels was a rebellion and the gothic theme also seemed cool. I stopped reading this author because
Jess
Aug 30, 2012 Jess rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Pre-teen girls
Shelves: vc-andrews
Ah, the last novel in the "Orphans" mini-series before the group novel, "Runaways". It has been quite the ride with quite the cast of characters. This little book also has the distinction of being the first book I finished in college- hooray! Some real grade-A literary magic right here, folks, I'm definitely on my way. All sarcasm aside, this was a fun little series I wish I would've read when I was younger.

This book is a little different, since Raven was living with her mother and is not withou
Leslie Edwards
Jan 28, 2015 Leslie Edwards rated it it was ok
I remember sneaking these books from my moms book collection when I was 11 or 12. The storyline to all the ones that I have read were pretty terrible but I couldn't stop my 12 year old self from reading them! I can't say I do not like these books because I use to love them! I think I may read one at 26 and see how I feel about them.
Joanie
Feb 09, 2014 Joanie rated it really liked it
Raven had to go to live with her mother's brother and his family after the mother was arrested and put in rehab and jail! She was abused by her uncle and cousin.
Eventually a foster home was found for her but not before she endured some bad circumstances. A hard life soon became a little easier.
A good and quick down to the point read.
Rebecca S. Waddell
Not quite an orphan

Not quite an orphan

Raven is not orphanned in the same manner as the others in this series, but that is good for keeping the series going without covering the same ground.
Nico
Dec 04, 2014 Nico rated it it was amazing
one of the best, most loved series/authors of all time. V.C. Andrews books are something so easily recognizable and new books continue to evolve to go with the times and bring in a whole new generation of loving readers
Gabby
Feb 12, 2014 Gabby rated it it was amazing
I have to say that this was the best book out of the 4 girls. I really enjoyed this story. It was sending chills up my spine and I could not put it down. It was pretty dark and I really couldn't think ahead on the book.
Nikki Marie
Nov 28, 2014 Nikki Marie rated it it was amazing
v.c. andrews books are all absolutely amazing and very easily distinguishable from any other authors. i love the darkeness, secrets, lies, very addicting, i have almost every single book!
Delicious Strawberry
Raven has a different feel than the first three since she still has her mom, even though she doesn't know who her dad is. Her mom lands in jail so it's off to live with Uncle. Since this is a mini-story, lots of details that could have been explored - the implication that Uncle had dome something maybe naughty with Mom - were briefly mentioned and then never explored. This series had the potential to have a full and more fleshed out story for each girl, it's too bad that Neiderman decided to cut ...more
Liz
Aug 04, 2013 Liz rated it liked it
The back of the book is misleading, It makes it sound much worse than it actually is.
I liked Raven's character, like Brooke, she actually tried to stand up for herself in some cases. And she seemed much smarter than Janet and Crystal (even though Crystal is supposed to be amazingly smart). Raven was also much harder than any of the other girls even though she was the only one out of the four girls who had "Family", and overall, she had one of the worst scenarios.
It was a good background story
Bev Spiller
Feb 01, 2015 Bev Spiller rated it really liked it
ONTO the last one in the series now should tie it altogether i think
Kristina Santos
May 16, 2014 Kristina Santos rated it really liked it
I wanted to punch her uncle, in the throat, repeatedly. Grrrr
Mary Reed
looks good soo far
Katrina
Jan 07, 2008 Katrina rated it it was ok
Shelves: advisory
This is the story of a young girl who dealt with a difficult life. Her mother was a drunk who was then sent to jail for using drugs. Her father had left her when she was a child. So she was placed under the care of her uncle who would accuse her of every wrongdoing her cousin would do, and as a consequence would beat her. This novel does a great job portraying the true emotions and feelings Raven felt during these difficult times. The metaphors and similes Andrews used were powerful in all areas ...more
Meghan
Sep 02, 2014 Meghan rated it really liked it
It took three failed novels to bring this one full circle. This had everything the others lacked, 3-dimensional characters, a tragic plot line that while it did get completely out of hand (going from bad to worse to extremely worse) was in fact complete with everything a proper story needs. I can only hope that this dragged forward into the next and final book.
Kaitlyn Rose
Jun 01, 2014 Kaitlyn Rose rated it it was amazing
I felt bad for Raven. I could not imagine how she put up with her uncle. although she had one of the worst experiences, I think I liked this story the most out of the orphans series
Nicole Mathias
Nov 02, 2014 Nicole Mathias rated it it was amazing
Susan
May 10, 2011 Susan rated it liked it
A quick read. Raven is a heart breaking tale of a young girl struggling to find value in her life. She is basically abandoned by her mother, by the choices she has made. She is taken into her uncle's home where darkness and secrets prevail. Though Raven is rescued from the situation the ending of the book does leave the reader questioning the fate of the her future.
Jackie
Mar 24, 2013 Jackie rated it really liked it
Patricia Atkinson
Oct 11, 2014 Patricia Atkinson rated it really liked it
the story of raven whos mother is arrested and put in rehab and runs away and raven has to stay with her mothers brother reuben who feels that raven is a bad seed his own daughter continues to get into trouble and blames it on raven witch only makes her uncle treat her worst..it has a huge conclusion at the end....
Aug 20, 2009 Sarah added it
This well she isn't considered an orphan because she has a mother but her mother got in jail for drugs and her uncle has to take her in and he abused her and whipped her with a belt. This caused her to be moved to a foster care orphan home with the first three orphans in the series.
Melinda
Jul 04, 2012 Melinda rated it liked it
Book was decent. I think it was even more sad than the others because I'm sure this situation happens more than thos in the previous 3 books... Mom is out of the picture - family takes kid in and doesn't treat them as well.
Joy
Jul 06, 2013 Joy rated it liked it
After Butterfly, Crystal and Brook I was waiting for Raven to be the exact same snooze but they finally changed it up a bit. I didn't enjoy the poor English in the book though. Worth the read when looking for an easy one.
Katie
Oct 25, 2013 Katie rated it it was ok
Poor Raven. I like her as a character, but I felt so bad about everything that she went through. I forgot that I only really like the book that brings the four girls together, Runaways.
Jon
Jun 28, 2012 Jon rated it really liked it
It was a super quick read and the story was interesting, I feel that it can be read by anyone but the story may not be appealing to all readers.
  • The First Scream (Fear Park, #1)
  • Virus (Med Center, #1)
  • Comfort from a Country Quilt: Finding New Inspiration and Strength in Old-Fashioned Values
  • Snow Angel: 8
  • The Finer Things (Saint Georges, #2)
  • De ontsnapping
  • The Dark Shore
  • The Dragon Done It
  • The Morning After (Sweet Valley High, #95)
Books published under the following names - Virginia Andrews, V. Andrews, Virginia C. Andrews & V.C. Endrius. Books since her death ghost written by Andrew Neiderman, but still attributed to the V.C. Andrews name

Virginia Cleo Andrews (born Cleo Virginia Andrews) was born June 6, 1923 in Portsmouth, Virginia. The youngest child and the only daughter of William Henry Andrews, a career navy man
More about V.C. Andrews...

Orphans (5 books)
  • Butterfly (Orphans, #1)
  • Crystal (Orphans, #2)