Start by marking “The Little Mermaid” as Want to Read:
The Little Mermaid

The Little Mermaid

This series of affordable paperbacks offers an appealing variety of fiction and nonfiction by such popular authors as Jean Marzollo, Joyce Milton, Richard Scarry, and Joanna Cole
Library Binding, 48 pages
Published October 1st 1991 by Turtleback Books

To ask other readers questions about The Little Mermaid, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Little Mermaid

Maryam
Aug 06, 2012 Maryam rated it it was amazing
I read it when I was a little girl!
I read it many more times!
And I cry for the little Mermaid!
At the time, I love her and I dream how I can protect her to find her Prince!
Mloy
Aug 07, 2012 Mloy rated it it was amazing
This is a wonderful retelling of the true and entire story of The Little Mermaid is poignant because it also includes a scene where the prince professes his love for the little mermaid and gives the reader a little glimmer of hope that the prince might marry the little mermaid which made it all the more heartbreaking when the prince meets the princess from the other kingdom and falls for the faux-savior..... just it was written in the original tale. Aside from being beutifully retold by Deborah ...more
Letitia
Aug 12, 2010 Letitia rated it it was amazing
One of my all time favorite stories is The Little Mermaid. It doesn't matter who write's the story, Anderson or the Disney version. This particular telling is one I read so many times growing up, I cannot even give you a guestimate at how many timies! It is one of the first books I read in childhood that helped develop my love of books and reading.
Allison
In the story The Little Mermaid a young mermaid falls in love at first sight with a human after she saves him from a ship wreck. This human happens to be a prince who is seeking a bride, but the little mermaid feels that she cannot join his world while she is still a mermaid. After making a deal with a sea witch, the little mermaid attempts to court the prince, convince him she is the one who saved him and doing this all without the use of her beautiful voice. Sadly, her time runs out and the li ...more
Nicholas
Jul 12, 2010 Nicholas rated it liked it
(Traditional tale selection)

A nice younger reader version of the original tale.

Using simple text and familiar illustrations, this book is great for a beginning reader wanting to read the original tale. It is faithful to the Andersen version, without being too graphic (for example the sea witch magically take the mermaids voice away - similar to the Disney version - instead of cutting her tongue out like in the original). It also takes out any of the religious connotations of the original. The di
Carmen Orellana
Jan 22, 2010 Carmen Orellana rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this version of the story a lot better than Disney's. It's a little different most notably the ending. I guess this version's ending wasn't suitable for children or may have caused controversy due to the whole issue as to whether or not mermaids had "souls". Either way, if I could find it now, I'd keep it forever.
Ashley
This is a book I have read many times over from the time I got this book when I was a child. It makes me smile and it makes me sad and gives my hope ay the end. So much for such a small book.

Initially I read this for the PopSugar book challenge but as I read this book that I loved so much I wondered if I had turned my love life to resemble her tail in some form.
Brittany
Aug 25, 2008 Brittany rated it it was amazing
The Little Mermaid is my favorite Disney story, and this is a wonderful twist to that. It is not the same story but just as good. I have searched many years trying to find this book again and I still have yet to obtain it. I absolutely love this mermaid tale and I can still remember quite a bit of the story, especially the end.
mathilda_craft
This is the original story. Not your disney "oh, everything turns out happy in the end and the girl always gets the guy!" Hell no! Very deep and very sad... I loved it and hated it as a child, but it's worth reading.
Elizabeth Root
Oct 20, 2010 Elizabeth Root rated it really liked it
Shelves: traditional-text
This classic tale, and movie is one that most children enjoy. My only concern with this version is the images. Some are a bit more than I would feel comfortable sharing with children. I think with upper grades, a study could be done on the different renditions for this story using the images.
Maha
Jan 27, 2013 Maha rated it really liked it
real!
Clare K. R.
May 04, 2011 Clare K. R. rated it really liked it
This is a simplified version of the fairy tale, with some of the more horrible Hans Christian Andersen stuff taken out, but it's not nearly as bad as Disney and the illustrations are gorgeous.
Vanessa
Apr 01, 2013 Vanessa rated it it was amazing
Was probably my favorite book when I was like 10 years old!!!
A retelling for children's reading done in an actual lyrical and authentic (to Andersen) way. I really enjoy the illustrations as well.
Cws
Dec 20, 2011 Irishgirl1247 rated it really liked it
so sad
Abby
Jun 09, 2011 Abby rated it really liked it
Read this in Kindergarten, so cute.
Brycsyn Hampton
Brycsyn Hampton rated it it was amazing
Apr 17, 2017
Amalie
Amalie rated it liked it
Mar 14, 2012
Mika Mckeena
Mika Mckeena rated it really liked it
Oct 09, 2012
Michaela
Michaela rated it liked it
Aug 24, 2014
Eileen
Eileen rated it it was amazing
Jun 19, 2012
Cynthia Peters
Cynthia Peters rated it it was amazing
Jan 19, 2016
Hannah
Hannah rated it liked it
Jul 27, 2011
£L£NA ßL¥TH£
£L£NA ßL¥TH£ rated it it was amazing
Apr 02, 2014
Jessica Antioco
Jessica Antioco rated it really liked it
Mar 10, 2010
Whitney
Whitney rated it really liked it
Sep 14, 2016
OS
OS rated it really liked it
Apr 16, 2016
Anne Michalove
Anne Michalove rated it it was amazing
Apr 21, 2017
  • A Mermaid's Tale: A Personal Search for Love and Lore
  • Lady in the Water: A Bedtime Story
  • The Little Mermaid and Other Tales
  • The Secret History of Mermaids and Creatures of the Deep
  • Kristy's Book (The Baby-Sitters Club Portrait Collection)
  • Gilberto and the Wind
  • Mermaid Tales from Around the World
  • Five Green and Speckled Frogs (Sing and Read Storybook)
  • Jane and the Dragon
  • Harriet's Hare
  • Puss in Boots
  • Inside a House That is Haunted
  • Fanny (Serendipity)
  • People
  • The Girl Who Leapt Through Time
  • Tales of Peter Rabbit and His Friends
  • A Complete Guide to Faeries & Magical Beings: Explore the Mystical Realm of the Little People
  • The Treasure Hunt: A Little Bill Book