Start by marking “The Parrot Tico Tango” as Want to Read:
The Parrot Tico Tango

The Parrot Tico Tango

4.24  ·  Rating Details  ·  89 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
For use in schools and libraries only. A cumulative rhyme in which a greedy parrot keeps taking fruit from the other creatures of the rainforest until he can hold no more.
Published January 9th 2004 by Barefoot Books (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Parrot Tico Tango, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Parrot Tico Tango

Shelina
Jun 16, 2012 Shelina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is about a parrot that steals fruit from his animal friends. The colourful illustrations make a great starting point for art! I have, in my year 1 class, made giant papier-mâché fruits to put on a display, and we also made a giant parrot and collaged it with colorful tissue paper. The story uses rhythm throughout, a great way to introduce rhyming for ks1. Also, using the book, I focused a great deal on adjectives and describing words. This is in the book and it gives the teacher space ...more
Jake
Nov 28, 2014 Jake rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Parrot Tico Tango written by Anna Witte, is a fun and engaging children's book. In this story you are introduced to Tico Tango, a parrot who is never satisfied with what he has. He always wants what his animal friends has, so he snatches it. All their fruit soon becomes Tico Tango's. He finally learns his lesson when he takes too much fruit and it all falls out of his arms. He apologizes to his friends for being so greedy and they will only forgive him under one condition: He teaches them ho ...more
Madison Hays
Sep 18, 2014 Madison Hays rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Parrot Tico Tango is a fun and engaging children's book. In this story you are introduced to Tico Tango, a parrot who is never satisfied with what he has. He always wants what his animal friends has, so he snatches it. All their fruit soon becomes Tico Tango's. He finally learns his lesson when he takes too much fruit and it all falls out of his arms. He apologizes to his friends for being so greedy and they will only forgive him under one condition: He teaches them how to do the tango.

This
Jennifer Johnson
Dec 04, 2014 Jennifer Johnson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“And Tico Tango knew that he had to have it too, so he took it!” The Parrot Tico Tango written by Anna Witte is about a greedy Parrot who is never satisfied with what he has. Whenever he sees one of his animal friends in the forest with fruit he decides that he wants it and he takes it from them. Needless to say, this does not make his friends happy. He soon learns that taking things is not ok when all the fruit becomes too much and it all falls from his mouth. Luckily for Tico Tango his friends ...more
Carly Meyers
Dec 04, 2014 Carly Meyers rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Parrot Tico Tango loved fruits. When he saw his friends fruits, he just had to have them too. When he was taking a date from his friend Nate, all the fruits fell out and onto the ground where his friends collected them and put them into a bowl. Parrot Tico Tango wanted to have some fruits so he decided that he had to make things right and his friends made him tango for a piece of mango so he did.
The pictures are bright and colorful drawing the reader in and making them want to read more. The
Alanna Burris
Sep 21, 2015 Alanna Burris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like how whenever a new color is mentioned it is presented in bold letters so that is stands out. I'm sure many children haven heard of some of these fruits like a papaya or date so it's great that they are being exposed to them through this story. It's also a good way to teach children that taking things from other people is no right. The parrot isn't satisfied with what he had so he took from his friends until he couldn't carry anymore and all the fruits fell. The parrots friends agree to gi ...more
Carla Raymer
Jul 06, 2013 Carla Raymer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sharing, ryhme, rhyme
A cute book that rhymes. I could teach my kids about the various fruits and different ways to prepare them. It also teaches about sharing.
Tasha
Nov 11, 2011 Tasha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Parrot Tico Tango is a naughty bird! He has his own mango, but as he soars through the jungle, he steals fruit from other animals. There is the sloth’s lemon, the monkey’s fig, the snake’s cherry, the frog’s grapes and more. Eventually, it gets to be too much to carry and he crashes. Now Tico Tango is left with nothing, not even his own mango. But the others offered him a slice of mango in exchange for him dancing the tango. And dance he did!

This is a colorful book that merrily teaches colors an
Jenny
This fun, brightly colored cumulative tale was well liked by my 7 yo daughter when she read it to me. The story tells of Tico Tango the parrot who likes to steal mangos (and figs, grapes, cherries, and other fruit) from all the other rainforest animals. Does Tico Tango learn his lesson or does he continue to steal from the other animals? You'll have to read this cute book to find out!
Lisa Lathrop
Mar 18, 2015 Lisa Lathrop rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-lit
A delightful read-along story about a naughty parrot who steals everyone's fruit! Sing-song rhymes will delight elementary readers and colorful before-and-after illustrations add to the enjoyment. Who's food will Tico Tango steal next? and what happens when he can't carry anymore fruit? A lesson to be learned is in store for readers.
Taylor
Feb 02, 2016 Taylor rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book taught a few lesson on how to not steal because it typically doesn't go as planned as you'd like it. It also shows the read that it's okay to ask for forgiveness and to forgive others that have done you wrong. The book provides lessons that will help children in the future.
Amanda Behrends
Summary - The parrot goes through the jungle stealing beautifully colored fruit from his friends only to lose it all and realize the error of his ways.
Curriculum Connection - I could see using this book to practice sequencing of events in a story as well as to open a discussion about treating our friends how we want to be treated.
Personal Reaction - I liked this book because I felt students would be drawn in by the interesting jungle animals and the rhythm of the book.
Visual Appeal - I really lo
Andrew
Jul 02, 2014 Andrew rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tico Tango is a major kleptomaniac, and it finally catches up with him. Don't steal what you can't carry, Tico. Thankfully, his friends, whom he has stolen from, are forgiving and let Tico dance for some fruit. Good book, and very colorful.
Naomi
May 12, 2014 Naomi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Meh, this book really didn't do anything for me. I thought the story was too busy for its targeted audience and it took too long to get the the gist of the story. The illustrations were interesting, but didn't increase my love of the book.
Kim Palacios
"El Loro Tico Tango" is a cute story full of great illustrations and many opportunities to entertain and engage your toddler. A variety of vocabulary-expanding terminology is used to describe el loro snatching up the fruit from his forest friends, and the fruits (and animals) mentioned take a refreshing diversion from the typical safari animals and apple/pear/plum fruits seen in most toddler books that feature animals and fruits. "El Loro Tico Tango" is full of mangos, papayas, dates, grapes, an ...more
Paula
Q
Feb 02, 2016 Q rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute rhyming book about friendship, stealing, forgiveness, colors, and fruit.
Hira
This is one of the most wonderful books I've read this semester. I made a whole unit based on this book! We talked about adjectives, synonyms, character maps, themes and evidence, prediction, the form of poetry with students writing their own adjective poems at the end. :)
Jeff
Jul 19, 2011 Jeff rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
An entertaining and colorful tale of a parrot that steals everyone else's fruit before learning his lesson and teaching the other animals to tango as retribution. Not particularly original, but fun none-the-less.
Lauri Meyers
Dec 19, 2014 Lauri Meyers rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Love the spanish version I picked up in Costa Rico (El Loro Tico Tango). I'm not sure how the rhyme translates in English, but amazing in Spanish. Pictures beautiful!
Kip
Jun 25, 2008 Kip rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people reading out loud to children
Shelves: hischildhood
I love the rhythm of the rhyme in this book -- it really rolls off your tongue, even when you are reading it for the eleventy billionth bedtime. The art is also nice.
Marge
greedy parrot - rhyming
Rosana
Rosana marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2016
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2016
Tracy
Tracy added it
Jun 16, 2016
Sumitra Swami
Sumitra Swami marked it as to-read
May 20, 2016
Hannah Wigton
Hannah Wigton rated it it was amazing
May 15, 2016