Start by marking “Casa de campo” as Want to Read:
Casa de campo

Casa de campo

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  205 ratings  ·  22 reviews
La gran metáfora histórica de Donoso; la representación en clave del Chile de los años 70 y del golpe militar. Una brillante alegoría del poder y la rebelión. La mansión señorial donde los Ventura, sus cónyuges y sus treinta y cinco hijos pasan el verano, lejos de la civilización, se alza como un espejismo en medio de la llanura. Por sus salones, pasillos, escalinatas y to ...more
Published October 1998 by Alfaguara (first published 1978)

To ask other readers questions about Casa de campo, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Casa de campo

To say that this novel is disturbing is to sell it far, far short. It is beyond disturbing, the culmination of incest and canabalism, murder and conspiracy. It has a day that is a year, a library of books representing all of the world's knowledge in which all of the books are covers, entirely blank inside.

This is a novel about the history of Chile, about dictatorship, oppression, the struggle between the ruling class and the peasants, of foriegn intervention, of deceit, lies, racism and death.
Natacha Martins
Não me recordo como foi que este livro acabou nas estantes aqui de casa. Gostei da capa, do preço mas principalmente acho que gostei da comparação com a obra máxima de William Golding, "O Deus das Moscas", e com o facto de ser um autor sul-americano. :)

"Casa de Campo" é uma metáfora ao Chile de Pinochet e Salvador Allende. José Donoso, procurou de forma metafórica, recriar nesta história uma parte da história do Chile, da sociedade chilena e da forma como se viveram os anos da ditadura de Pinoch
Tiffany Funk
Brutal. This book is brutal.
A HOUSE IN THE COUNTRY. (1978; Eng. trans. 1984). Jose Donoso. ****.
Born in 1924 in Santiago, Chile, Donoso was primarily a political writer. This novel is no exception. Although not didactic, it manages to convey the class struggle going on in his native Chile between two dictatorial regimes. This is the only one of his novels I have read so far. He is better known for his earlier novel, “The Obscene Bird of Night.” I came across Donoso’s name in a recent biography I read about Kurt Vonnegut.
This was a book I picked up many years ago because of the cover (Keith Sheridan gets a shout out for the design). Aventura trade editions are always such cool books that I didn't realize I had been duped into reading a fantastical tale of a 19th Century family obsessed with some really heavy...doings.

The South America country is un-named, but yeah, it's Chile and Donoso is writing to portray Pinochet's reign. Latin American literature of the last decades of the 20th Century always has the experi
Pablo Guzmán
Una novela grandiosa de un autor impresionante. Intrigante, densa, grotesca, profundamente alegórica (?), Casa de campo es seguramente de lo mejor que he leído. Pese a que no he leído mucha narrativa nacional, me atrevería a decir que si los norteamericanos tienen una Great American Novel, la Gran Novela Chilena bien podría ser esta.
Dense & disturbing
Joanne Gass
This is a classic from one of the Boom generation. Donoso reportedly wrote this after the coup which felled Allende and put Pinochet in power in Chile. It's a fable of both the Spanish conquest of the New World and the more recent history of Chile. Perhaps he played too much with author intrusion, but I enjoyed the novel with all its quirkiness.
Carlos Manzano
Yo me inicié en la literatura (que no en la lectura) con el boom latinoamericano. Entonces comencé a leer casi compulsivamente a García Márquez, Vargas Llosa, Cortázar o Asturias. Más tarde fui ampliando el abanico hasta llegar a todas las latitudes (o casi) del planeta. Sin embargo, no descubrí a José Donoso hasta tiempo después, y fue gracias a esta novela, Casa de campo, que en el fondo me marcó más que ninguna otra del boom, quizá porque mi bagaje literario, más vasto, me permitió enfrentarm ...more
Juan Cristóbal
I loved this book. José Donoso writes beautifully. Unlike many who say that this is a critical view about Pinochet's dictatorship, I think Donoso looks deeper into the chilean society. He is actually painting a portrait about chilean elite, and how the land reform affected it.
Sep 27, 2007 Fredoviola rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone interested in imaginative fiction
Another very strange book. To me his writing is a cross between Celine, Genet and Twain! A very strange combo indeed. This is a kind of magical realism very different from Marquez and Cortazar, a bit more akin to Borges.
I enjoyed the first half of the book but felt betrayed by the deus ex machina that the authors uses at the start of part II. (view spoiler)
Estaba rarísimo, la verdad es que será que yo soy muy tonta, pero tuve que leer en wikipedia la interpretación.
Lo que sí me gustó mucho fueron los nombres de los personajes.
Sórdido y cautivador. La historia se desarrolla en base a la hipocresía y crudeza de sus personajes. A mi opinión, una metáfora de la naturaleza humana.
Aug 23, 2012 Feña added it
retrato de la sociedad, sobre todo de la aristocracia chilena en el siglo IXX (creo).
drama con rivetes oscuros, kilos de intriga y toneladas de secretos.
One of the best books ever. Complicated, allegorical, farcical. About colonization, South America, Europe, class and indigenous peoples.
Marcel Dekker
Great allegorical book about the overthrow of the Allende government by the military regime of Pinochet.
Maravilloso. Tendré que leerlo unas cien veces para entenderlo completo, eso sí.

La versión original en español. Es la mejor metáfora de la dictadura chilena.
Junio 2000.
Debe ser entretenido, porque no acostumbro a leer libros de tantas páginas.
Nameh dah
  • Las Películas de Mi Vida
  • Los mitos de Cthulhu
  • To Begin Where I Am: Selected Essays
  • The Myth of Psychotherapy
  • Hôtel Splendid (European Women Writers)
  • The Absent City
  • These Are Not Sweet Girls: Poetry by Latin American Women
  • Earwitness: Fifty Characters
  • The Book Against God
  • Mad Travellers: Reflections on the Reality of Transient Mental Illnesses
José Donoso Yáñez was a Chilean writer. He lived most of his life in Chile, although he spent some years in self-imposed exile in Mexico, the United States (Iowa) and Spain. After 1973, he claimed his exile was a form of protest against the dictatorship of Augusto Pinochet.

Donoso is the author of a number of remarkable stories and novels, which contributed greatly to the Latin American literary bo
More about José Donoso...