Start by marking “Thank You for the Music” as Want to Read:

3.47  ·  Rating Details  ·  72 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
In 14 original stories, Jane McCafferty illuminates modern life weaving her love of music throughout the lives and stories of her characters. From two middle-aged strangers who meet in an empty baseball stadium during a rainstorm, to a 23-year-old man who brings his 62-year-old wife home to meet his parents, to a young couple who live next door to an unemployed clown and h ...more
Published January 6th 2004 by Harper Perennial (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Thank You for the Music, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Thank You for the Music

Josiphine
Ugh. Blech.

McCafferty is a somewhat beautiful writer but the stories are so dumb, so overblown, so melodramatic, that there is nothing good to say. I hated reading every single page.
Katrina
Jan 07, 2008 Katrina rated it liked it
Shelves: advisory
A cute novel that intertwines music with the various short stores McCafferty presents. Stories that have a new spin and are fresh can range form living next door to a clown to two complete strangers who meet in an empty baseball stadium in the pouring rain. Although each story was different, music help them tie together and create a puzzle with various ideas put together. No matter what type of music one listens to it can unite people of all ages and of all kind. One simple song can take you bac ...more
Linda
Sep 06, 2011 Linda rated it it was ok
This collection of 14 stories is well written and thoughtful. I enjoyed some of the stories, but many of them were too dark or off-beat for my taste. In the story that appealed to me the most, a woman can't sleep and stays up late listening to Springsteen. At three in the morning, she hear's a knock on the door and finds a lost young man on her doorstep. Despite some misgivings, she invites him in. As they talk, share a meal and listen to Bruce sing their souls connect.
Megan
Apr 18, 2007 Megan rated it liked it
Recommends it for: dames
Thank You for the Music is a collection of 14 short stories all connected only by the presence of music to some extent. There's everything from a High Fidelity-esque mixed tapesession to 25-yr-old bringing home his 60-something bride to meet his parents for the first time to clowns obsessed with chicken. My personal favorite was written in the form of a letter to Bruce Springsteen.
Alyse
Sep 20, 2008 Alyse rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2008
a wonderful collection of short stories all relating to the human conditions of happiness, longing, and loss. Sounds like a downer, but it really isn't. Since they are all short stories McCafferty is able to touch on all of these feelings without belaboring them.

I picked it up on a whim at the Printer's Row Boof Festival a few months back and am very glad I did.
Teddi Lee
Sep 10, 2007 Teddi Lee rated it it was amazing
Jane McCafferty should be read widely and often. This collection is a masterpiece of character, subtle thoughts and emotions, nuance. I felt so much recognition while reading these stories -- she has a true knack for perfectly expressing the less advertised facets of the human condition. Jane McCafferty pays attention and she gets it.
Steph
Oct 21, 2008 Steph rated it really liked it
I am a short story fan, and these had much appeal. I especially liked the one about the two people who meet int he empty sports stadium and the one about the 20 somewthing who brings home his much older girlfriend to meet the parents. kept wondering what I'd think if my 20-something son did that.
Michelle
Jan 24, 2008 Michelle rated it really liked it
Stories that focus on what it feels like to be just outside of the main story - and usually aching to be part of it. Lovely, lovely.
Melissa
Mar 04, 2008 Melissa rated it it was ok
Short stories, some ok but not overly interesting.
Marie
Jul 01, 2014 Marie rated it it was ok
Skipped the last few stories- grew bored.
Michelle Sisk
Michelle Sisk marked it as to-read
May 24, 2016
Kaposch
Kaposch marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2016
Brittany
Brittany rated it did not like it
Mar 05, 2016
Damian Konopka
Damian Konopka rated it liked it
Jan 01, 2016
Beiza
Beiza added it
Dec 23, 2015
Britelle
Britelle rated it liked it
Dec 08, 2015
Kayleen
Kayleen rated it really liked it
Oct 28, 2015
Chrissy
Chrissy rated it really liked it
Oct 05, 2015
Neha Ram
Neha Ram marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2015
Julie
Julie marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2015
Kerry
Kerry marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2015
Susan
Susan rated it liked it
Jun 06, 2015
G3 Tordilla
G3 Tordilla marked it as to-read
May 12, 2015
Bron
Bron marked it as to-read
May 07, 2015
Kathy
Kathy marked it as to-read
May 25, 2015
Aimee
Aimee marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2015
Sue Logan
Sue Logan rated it it was amazing
Feb 14, 2015
Christopher Nelson
Christopher Nelson rated it really liked it
Jan 19, 2015
Bernadette
Bernadette rated it it was ok
Jan 02, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Jane McCafferty is the author of the novel One Heart and two collections of stories, Thank You for the Music and Director of the World and Other Stories, which won the Drue Heinz Literature Prize. She is the recipient of an NEA award, the Great Lakes Colleges Association’s New Writers Award, and two Pushcart Prizes. She lives and works in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
More about Jane McCafferty...