The Green Hills of Earth

The Green Hills of Earth (Future History or "Heinlein Timeline")

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  5,130 ratings  ·  71 reviews
Heinlein's "Future History" Epic: On the Moon, Mars and Space Station One, it's pure Heinlein all the way in a stunning vision of adventure and courage set against a masterfully realized future.
Paperback, Signet t3193; 7th-16th printing, 176 pages
Published 1967 by New American Library (first published 1951)

Manny
In Robert Heinlein's short story collection, we get to read about a future history that never happened, where the Solar System is colonized by a bunch of ambitious, optimistic, happy-go-lucky space entrepreneurs. They cut corners, break the rules, and quite often get themselves killed. But it works. The American dream reaches the stars, or at least the planets.

In the real world, manned space-flight reached its peak around 1970 with the Apollo landings and then stagnated. Reagan went into the bli...more
Jim
Despite the title, Earth is mostly in the background in this wonderful collection of short stories. It's mostly concerned with everyday life off the planet. Heinlein has taken a lot of mundane situations & put them a head a century or three. People are still people, although they've traded in their cars for spaceships.

Some of the stories are a bit dated, such as "Delilah & the Space Rigger" - what happens when a girl shows up to work on a space project with an all boy crew? Heinlein exam...more
Gendou
This collection of short stories is classic Heinlein. That is to say, sexism, chauvinism, rocketry without computers, a bit of magic, and heaps of bravery. The later is the most fun.

I find the rockets without computers quaint; it reminds me, not surprisingly, of the Apollo Program. It's seldom boring, because Heinlein so often insists on teaching the reader something.

Sometimes, though, the bad guys go out of their way too much to be bad. Like the guy who wouldn't let girls on the space station,...more
Brad
Yep ... I love the stories of Robert A. Heinlein. Got a problem with that?

The Green Hills of Earth, the titular short, and Logic of Empire are particularly excellent.
Mary JL
Mar 30, 2009 Mary JL rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: any science fiction fan
Shelves: main-sf-fantasy
This a another of the very few Robert Heinlein short story collections. They ten stories are all quite good. Speical favorties of mine among the then stories are "The Green Hills of Earth" and "Ordeal in Space".

Heinlein's short stories are not as well known as his novels, but he is a good story teller whether writing novels or short stories.
Erik Graff
May 05, 2011 Erik Graff rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Heinlein fans
Recommended to Erik by: no one
Shelves: sf
I was born with almost perfect teeth--except for one canine which was a bit bent out of line. To treat this Dr. Rice gave me a retainer to wear to bed. It worked well enough to allow the resulting cavity at the root to fill with fluids and become infected, leading to a tremendous fever which hit during the last week of junior high. Other than some interesting hallucinations the most memorable part of that period was the day Dad's mother, Lajla, came by to fill in for my working parents. The swif...more
David
This is a fun anthology of short stories by Heinlein. All of the stories revolve around colonization of planets in our solar system. The themes are not about the technology, but about contemporary problems and dilemmas that we still have today; indentured service as slavery, prejudice against women in the workplace, young brats given too much freedom and too little discipline, phobias, and more. These contemporary themes help to explain the "staying power" of Heinlein's stories.
Stephen
No collection of Heinlein short stories could be less than a satisfying read, especially for those of us who cut our reading teeth on his work. The edition I read, published by Signet and sold for a whopping 75 cents, has been in my library since I was around eight years old and has been read dozens of times. It still holds as a good read even though the progression of each story is as familiar to me as the walk from my bedroom to my office. A few of the stories have not aged as well as others,...more
Timothy Darling
Heinlein got his start in the pulps, but he was not content to stay there. This collection represents his time of initial expansion, perhaps the height of his power as a writer of short fiction. As such, these stories carry an extra level of sophisitication, breaking out from the techno-centered character of his earler work. He is no longer appealing only to the pre-war "geek" culture, but to the population at large. Heinlein, however, does not content himself with appealing to the lowest common...more
Kevin
More short stories from Heinlein's Future History.

Delilah and the Space Rigger (1949) 3.5/5 Stars
Tiny and Dad are trying to finish a space station on time, but keep running into liars and cheats. When they finally find a good comm expert it turns out to be a woman which sets Tiny off.
This is a story that's been told many times today, but was fairly fresh over 60 years ago. It boils down to women can do men's work and men do work better with women around.

Space Jockey (1947) 2.5/5 Stars
A simple...more
Hal Brodsky
I am a fan of Robert Heinlein's novels and consider "Stranger in a Strange Land" a must read for, well, everyone.
This collection of very old, very dated pulp fiction really should be set aside for fans only. Each story (with the exception of the final,longer piece) is a single event, simple often predictable plot often featuring a single anachronistic idea.
Unless you are trying to read all of Heinlein's work, there is better material out there more worthy of your time.
David Allen
All published in the 1940s, most of these stories have a cheerful optimism about space flight, human relations and the promise of the 20th century that, while dated, scratches a certain itch. The final, and longest, story, "The Logic of Empire," is an anti-slavery allegory and a worthwhile early attempt at melding politics and SF.
Susan
Overall, I found the collection an interesting walk down Classic SF Lane. Most were entertaining, some a bit sexist, other taking on some Big Picture items such as slavery. While this collection was a bit entertaining, I won’t be rushing out to borrow more Heinlein. The Moon is a Harsh Mistress is still my favorite Heinlein work, and superior to what is found in this collection.

Tome Weiner did a decent job of narrating the individual stories. Typically I avoid short story collections in audio fo...more
Fantasy Literature
I grew up a part of the baby boomer generation of young geeks that discovered science fiction around what the famous quote (attributed to one Peter Graham, later publicized and re-quoted by many, many others) said is the best age: “The Golden Age of Science Fiction is twelve.” For me and many others it was around that age that I was voraciously devouring a host of science fiction and fantasy writers, including Isaac Asimov, Edgar Rice Burroughs, and Andre Norton, just to name a few. I loved each...more
Dorothy Donahey
This is the first science fiction I ever read in the 1960s. My sister had the book and I read it. I thought it was wonderful then and it started me out on a life- long journey of loving Sci-Fi.
Jon Cantrell
Good but I prefer his larger works where he gets to dive deep into cultures, governments and societies. There's lots of great bits in this book but I feel like they just get going and they end.
Cynthia Egbert
This is my first attempt at Heinlein. I really liked it. I am looking forward to more. He thinks like me. Is this scary, yes! But it makes me happy. I do recommend this to anyone who enjoys science fiction. My two favorite quotes:

"It had surprised his ancestors that the transported criminals of Botany Bay should develop a high civilization in Australia. Not that Wingate found the phenomenon of Botany Bay surprising - that was history, and history is never surprising - after it happens."

"You have...more
Kelley Ross
These stories are realistic, thought-provoking, and the sort of classic science fiction that every sci-fi fan should read. I think my favorite thing about Heinlein's writing is his ability to make everything believable... it is entirely possible that there will one day be a huge corporation that is paid simply to take on near-impossible jobs, or a woman worker being discriminated against because she supposedly can't handle the manual labor of a stocking job in space. Heinlein takes small concept...more
Hayley Farr
It was Robert Heinlein's short stories that initially drew me into his writing and fandom, and it's his short stories where I will always prefer to stay. That said, this book is full of somewhat exciting though in many cases brief glimpses of different "futuristic" lifestyles, achievements, and careers. The title story is enjoyable, but not particularly inspirational. My favourite story in the collection is "the Long Watch," which surprised myself. It's not typically the sort of story that would...more
Amy
I actually listened to this one on audio. It was a refreshing break from the previous Heinlein I had listened to. I think I get too irritated like my friend Carol when I read his works due to the way he treats the female characters.

It's strange, because, as in this collection of short stories, he can come across as making an attempt at feminism and forward thinking for his times. Yet in other stories (even some among these) he may have thought he was forward thinking, but it just comes across l...more
Scott
I'm a big fan of bite-sized fiction, and this collection didn't disappoint me. While a few of the stories had me guessing to the very end as to how events would turn out, overall you could tell the direction of the story from the very beginning. It's not to say the stories are bland or uninteresting - despite the candy-coated "happy endings," they're still very entertaining and a far cry from a lot of the badly-written and overly-depressing fiction that exists out there now, especially in the sc...more
Maria  D
The thing about Heinlein is his ability to be human, sometimes painfully so. His humans in the era of space exploration are so like us, and it feels that the heroes don't change - only the setting does. The stories are simple, as is most Golden Age sci-fi, but powerful. A great and sweeping read.
Sara Elice
I really enjoyed reading these short stories. Sometimes I get bored reading story after story in an anthology, but each one was slightly different with recurring places and companies that sort of linked the world of the stories together. Most were well paced and had good messages, with most ending up on a positive note, unlike many sci fi short stories where things just go to hell and the lesson learned is pretty much shoved in your face. I really appreciate Heinlein's view of how people find th...more
Delicious Strawberry
This is a nice volume which collects some of Heinlein's Future History books. Personally, I find the collection 'Past Through Tomorrow' to be a better collection of Heinlein's short Future History stories, but of course you could always go with the shorter books if you don't want to deal with a really thick book. This collection features some nice classics, my personal favorite being 'Delilah and the Space Rigger' as well as 'We Also Walk Dogs'. With Heinlein, you can't go wrong with this book....more
Nick Duretta
Given that these SF stories were written more than 60 years ago, this is really a prescient collection. Heinlein envisions a future that hasn't yet quite come to pass yet (he places most of these stories in the late 20th, early 21st centuries, with moon colonies and people buzzing around to other planets). But he uses the SF form to address human rights issues such as women's right to work and slavery. Good, but I couldn't quite get past the datedness of these pieces.
Valerie
I wish I had a copy of this in hand. Heinlein's anthologies contain many stories that are only found in those same anthologies--or in old science fiction pulp magazines, where many of them were first published.

Without a copy to hand, I can't even hope to remember which were in this book. I'll just have to keep an eye out for a copy, because while I know I've read this anthology, I don't know which stories I first encountered in it.
Lauren Willshire
It was a very challenging read but it was also very informative and well worth the effort. Heinlein combined various sciences with his love of writing and our sense of adventure. This book was filled with various correlating short stories portraying a sense of freedom and humanity. Only Heinlein can provide an out of mind and body experience through the written word. I highly recommend to any science fan and to any adventurers or philosophers!!
Cherie
This book consists of 10 short stories. I first read them in the late '60s when I was in high school. I still think they are great stories and worth reading today, over 50 years ago from when they were first published! All of them deal with outer space with our solar system populated with people living on the planets or moons throughout our solar system and cities on the moon (there is always a Luna City in some form).
Emma
It's a story a spaceman. A real space. The type who has hardly been to earth. Always traveling from one planet to the next. Only with a bit of time to write poems. Amazing one sneaky report mange to record most of his poem. Except the one which captures the true meaning of what it means to be a spaceman. The ending is nice and very fitting.
AmblingBooks
"Heinlein knows more about blending provocative scientific thinking with strong human stories than any dozen other contemporary science fiction writers." � Chicago Sun-Times

Listen to The Green Hills of Earth on your iPhone, desktop, or smartphone.
  • Soldier, Ask Not (Childe Cycle, #3)
  • The Stars, Like Dust (Galactic Empire, #1)
  • Oath of Fealty
  • The Dancer From Atlantis
  • Time and Again
  • Against the Fall of Night
  • Star Man's Son, 2250 A.D
  • The Weapon Shops of Isher
Robert Anson Heinlein was an American novelist and science fiction writer. Often called "the dean of science fiction writers", he is one of the most popular, influential, and controversial authors of "hard science fiction".

He set a high standard for science and engineering plausibility and helped to raise the genre's standards of literary quality. He was the first SF writer to break into mainstre...more
More about Robert A. Heinlein...
Stranger in a Strange Land Starship Troopers The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress Time Enough for Love (The World As Myth) The Puppet Masters

“You have attributed conditions to villainy that simply result from stupidity.” 641 likes
“We pray for one last landing
On the globe that gave us birth;
Let us rest our eyes on fleecy skies
And the cool, green hills of Earth.”
1 likes