Before the Season Ends

Before the Season Ends (Forsythe #1)

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  815 ratings  ·  133 reviews
The Regency in England This period boasted Jane Austen and Lord Byron. High society, the gentry, the working classes-they all knew their place. From coaches and curricles to Almack's and Regent's Park, from lorgnettes and quizzing glasses to Drury Lane and Pall Mall, it's all here, from chambermaids to the Prince Regent himself Add Miss Ariana Forsythe to the intoxicating...more
Published May 17th 2005 by Xulon Press (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Before the Season Ends, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Before the Season Ends

Kimberly
Wyndy
My Review
It was a pleasant change to read a Regency romance without a lot of sexual tension and innuendos. Burkard has the era down pat and it was easy to visualize the scenes as well as sympathize with the heroine. I also found her characteristics true to a 19 year old rather than a wishy-washy attempt to provide the character with teen emotions that weren't of the time and adult emotions that were beyond her age as so many authors do with girls of that age in different time periods.

Ariane is...more
Carrie (ICanHasBooks?)
*Waring Spoilers Ahead*

Before the Season Ends was an enjoyable read and it got much better as it went on but then it well, went downhill and made me mad.

I stayed up into the wee hours finishing this book, slept on it and now that I am awake again, I am still disappointed. This book held my attention and interest for so long and then I wanted to yell at it.

Ariana is sent to stay in London with her Aunt, for the season. Her Aunt being overly wealthy is a childless widow who wants to present her ni...more
Alice
I SO enjoyed this first book in the Forsythe trilogy, and am SO looking forward to book 2!
It's rare to find Christian regency novels, and sometimes -when you do- the spiritual aspects of the story seem shallow or nonexistent. Linore Burkard had a great way of bringing Christ into her story without being shallow, but also without seeming "preachy". I really appreciated that the Gospel was given clearly, and leaving no doubts that Burkard believes what she is writing.

I really enjoyed the style o...more
Becky
Up to 3/4 of the way through the book I loved it- couldn't put it down. It was like a cute version of Jane Austen or Elizabeth Gaskell. I would have easily given it a 5 stars, but all of the sudden it turned born again christian on me and it irritated me. It's not the religion in of itself that bugged me. I just found the main character to be overly pious and judgmental. If the book had ended when they had gotten engaged it would have been so much better.
Shirley Brosius
Linore Rose Burkard has written a book that entertains, educates and keeps you guessing until the last page. The story about a Christian girl interested in marriage and a family who wants to help her find a suitable partner takes off on an age-old theme: What happens when an innocent damsel meets an irascible man? Will she follow her head or her heart as she gets to know this flagrant unbeliever?

This is the kind of book that opens your eyes to what you don’t know. I learned much about society in...more
Shannon
Delightful read!

The cover itself begs to be compared to Jane Austen and there's no missing the similarities. From the setting to the characters, there are parallels to be had--parallels that the Jane Austen fan will adore. Houses and dresses described in detail, heroine's to cherish, gentlemen aloof and worthy. There is much to be appreciated here.

There are also several differences. While Austen certainly didn't shy away from references to the church in her novels, Burkard has embraced its role...more
Honour
Dec 11, 2011 Honour rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one in their right minds and definitely NOT to Austen fans
I can't write an objective review for this book. I'm sure that the book deserves all the praise and high ratings it's got if it was meant to be strictly read by the 'Inspirational Christian Novels' community.

Its era details are well researched and well described, especially the clothes. But then the author gets down to the business of making the book 'inspirational' and what had promised to be a good read - not Jane Austen, but a maybe some shadow of Georgette Heyer - turned into an annoying tr...more
Phoebe
Jan 20, 2010 Phoebe rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone!
Recommended to Phoebe by: Linore Rose Burkard
Ruth
Young and impressionable, Ariana Forsythe longs for marriage and to do God's will. When a most unsuitable suitor emerges and takes advantage of her naiveté, Ariana's parents see no other recourse than to pack her off to London for the season. Under the eager sponsorship of her wealthy aunt, Ariana is introduced to the cream of London society. There she must learn to navigate an intricate web of etiquette and expectations, where a word in the wrong ear can ruin a girl's reputation and marriage pr...more
Jill Williamson
Review by Jill Williamson

England, 1813. A time when a young lady’s life was all about finding the best husband. Country girl Ariana Forsythe’s parents do not approve of the man she has set her sights on and send her to London to live with her rich Aunt Bentley. Ariana can hardly wait to see the city, a place filled with history, museums, and art. Aunt Bentley has different ideas of how Ariana will spend her time, however, and drags Ariana on countless shopping trips to prepare for her debut into...more
Loraine Alcorn
I got this awesome book on amazon in their top free 100 books list and Im soo happy I did. I have since bought the other 2 stories in this saga and cant wait till they come in.

I have read a lot of Christian fiction and now exclusively read only books that are of this caliber. I cant tell you how great this story is.

Before the Season Ends by Linore Rose Burkard, Is a true gem of a story. Its very hard to find a Christian Romance that offers not only a great love story but is also filled in real

Deborha Mitchell
Oh what a ride! At the start of this book, I was thinking “How could she want to do that?” Do what? Well, you have to read the book to find out. As my reading progressed, I was grateful for the turn of events in Ariana’s life. I mean, her life wasn’t all roses and candy, but it was better than the alternative waiting for her back home. Importance of birth order, secrets, traps, mystery, intrigue, love and undying faith….this book has it all.
From the very first encounter between Ariana and Mr. Mo...more
Jennifer Gentry
Ms. Burkard's writing style is being compared to Jane Austen in many of the reviews. I'm not sure I would necessarily go to that extreme, but I will say that I greatly enjoyed this book. Some have disliked Ariana's strong beliefs against being unequally yolked in a marriage, but I have to say that as a Christian I can wholeheartedly agree and sympathize with her beliefs. And as this book was *intended* for Christian readers, I think anyone reading it from that viewpoint would not find fault in i...more
Michelle
I've never read a book written by Jane Austen before. *Gasp* I know, it's criminal. I love regencies, however, so this story worked for me. (I'm not totally uncultured. I have watched Sense and Sensibility and other Austen stories on DVD). But since I've never read Austen I can't say how similar the writing styles are. At first the omniscient POV all the time was hard for me to follow, but then I allowed myself to be pulled into that era and all of it's vanity and the story came alive. I had dif...more
I love this book! I am relatively new to Christian historical fiction, and I wanted to try a regency, and I'm so glad I did. I know many have criticized Ariana's faith in this book, but that is WHY I loved this book. I love how she is constantly turning to God, praying and seeking His insight. As a person who came to Christ as an adult, I've always wondered what it would be like to have been raised by Christian parents and taught to "fully rely on God", and I feel like this gives me a glimpse an...more
Katie Watkins
I love the Regency period and especially love the "clean" stories. This one was definitely Christian as well and almost got a little too preachy toward the end.

Ariana's aunt offered to put the eldest daughter of her brother's into society, but the eldest, Alberta, was as good as engaged, so he sent his second daughter, Ariana. I loved the ins and outs of the season and enjoyed learning a little bit more of this time period. Phillip is a great character--feared by many; impatient with debutantes;...more
Sheri Salatin
Ariana Forsythe is determined to keep her faith in God and marry their local pastor. The problem comes when her parents forbid it! They so much don't want her marrying this man that they send her away to stay with her wealthy aunt in London.
Ariana finds her Aunt determined to give Ariana a proper taste of high society. She is also determined to find a husband for her niece and all before the season ends!
Dashing, scowling Philip Mornay wins Ariana's heart, but he does not have her faith. Will Ari...more
Deon
Aerykah
For the most part, I did enjoy the story. I didn't care too much for the writing style, but I like to think it was because this is the author's debut book. I think her writing will improve. So, I do believe I will go looking for the rest of the books in this series...
Shantelle Mary
A delightful, Regency read. Sweet and thought-provoking... it puts me a little in the mind of Mr. Darcy and Elizabeth (Pride and Prejudice), yet in a Christian view point. I am very happy to add Linore Rose Burkard to my list of regency authors to read by!
Rachel
Aug 26, 2009 Rachel rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: own
An Inspirational Regency Romance, Before the Season Ends is an truly enjoyable read. I liked her characters and the setting. There were some aspects that I didn't like as much, but overall, it was a great read, enjoyable and definitely recommendable.
Kristen
This was a clean regency period book. I did think that the last quarter of the book was kind of slow and I found myself trying to hurry to get it over with. If I could have shortened it then it would have been 4 stars.
Cheryl
I rarely read romance novels because they are just too smutty for my taste. I loved this one. It was clean and had a bit of religion in it! Too Cute! Can't wait for the sequel out next month.
Jennifer Fluegge
I loved this author's Christian version of a regency romance-felt it did justice to the genre. I have the next book in the series--it just came out..can't wait to read it!
Glynnis
Nov 26, 2011 Glynnis is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Who am I?

A desperate, broke girl who is ten books behind her reading challenge - that's who. This book is cheap as free on Amazon!

Never gunna finish it.
Claudine
While I have enjoyed a number of Christian Historical books in the past, I found this story OK, it was a little off-putting for me on account Ariana Forsythe's beliefs. I didn't understand Ariana's conflict to her reason for not setting a wedding date when she did love Phillip Mornay and he loved her but she didn't believe he loved God or didn't show it to her satisfaction but yet she believed God had chosen Phillip for her. Although he was a Christian and believed in God she didn't think he had...more
Historical Romance Books
“Before The Season Ends” by Linore Rose Burkard

Phillip Mornay is a mean and grumpy upper society bachelor. He can destroy a single girl's reputation with just one look or comment. He has never married and has no plans on marrying. He won't allow any women to capture his heart. That is, until Arianna Forsythe attends one of upper society's picnics as one of the new ladies of the upper society. For some reason Arianna seems to capture Phillip's attention, but he soon assumes that she is like ever...more
Wendi
Perfect for : Personal reading, book club read (Contains Discussion Questions)

In a nutshell: A wonderful Regency Romance, set in England in 1813, with the added benefit of a little faith added in. Ariana, the 19-year-old strong-willed daughter of the Forsythe's, has determined that she is going to marry the 60 year old village rector! In an act of desperation, her parents send her to her Aunt in London for a season. When she gets to London, at her first real outing, she bumps into Mornay, the ma...more
Christian Fiction...: April Main Group Read 7 38 Apr 28, 2012 03:44PM
  • Ransome's Honor (The Ransome Trilogy, #1)
  • On Sparrow Hill (The Oak Leaves #2)
  • When All My Dreams Come True (Colorado Runaway, #1)
  • Surrender the Wind
  • Highland Blessings (Highlands #1)
  • A Measure of Mercy (Home to Blessing, #1)
  • Prairie Rose (A Town Called Hope, #1)
  • Love Finds You in Victory Heights, Washington
  • Love's Rescue (The Sierra Chronicles #1)
  • Embers of Love (Striking a Match, #1)
  • A Necessary Deception  (The Daughters of Bainbridge House #1)
  • Heart of Stone (Irish Angel, #1)
  • The Red Siren (Charles Towne Belles, #1)
  • The Call of Zulina (Grace in Africa, #1)
  • The Edge of Light (At Home in Beldon Grove, #1)
  • Valeria's Cross
  • A Vote of Confidence (Sisters of Bethlehem Springs, #1)
  • To Love Anew (Sydney Cove, #1)
1908773
Linore Rose Burkard lives with her husband and five children in a town full of antique stores and gift shops in southwestern Ohio. She homeschooled her children for ten years. Raised in New York, she graduated magna cum laude from the City University of New York with a Bachelor of Arts in English literature.

Ms. Burkard wrote Before the Season Ends because she could not find an Inspirational Regenc...more
More about Linore Rose Burkard...
The House in Grosvenor Square The Country House Courtship Coach and Four  Allisandra's Tale Her One True Soldier The House in Grosvenor Square (A Regency Inspirational Romance)