Start by marking “Magic Strikes (Kate Daniels, #3)” as Want to Read:
Magic Strikes (Kate Daniels, #3)

Magic Strikes (Kate Daniels #3)

4.45 of 5 stars 4.45  ·  rating details  ·  39,580 ratings  ·  1,879 reviews
When magic strikes and Atlanta goes to pieces, it’s a job for Kate Daniels…

Drafted into working for the Order of Merciful Aid, mercenary Kate Daniels has more paranormal problems than she knows what to do with these days. And in Atlanta, where magic comes and goes like the tide, that’s saying a lot.

But when Kate's werewolf friend Derek is discovered nearly dead, she must
Mass Market Paperback, 310 pages
Published March 31st 2009 by Ace (first published February 20th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Magic Strikes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Magic Strikes

Graceling by Kristin CashoreVampire Academy by Richelle MeadAlanna by Tamora PiercePoison Study by Maria V. SnyderFire by Kristin Cashore
Best "Strong Female" Fantasy Novels
54th out of 3,250 books — 10,643 voters
Halfway to the Grave by Jeaniene FrostDarkfever by Karen Marie MoningDark Lover by J.R. WardMoon Called by Patricia BriggsMagic Bites by Ilona Andrews
Best ADULT Urban Fantasy and Paranormal Romance
36th out of 2,416 books — 5,275 voters

More lists with this book...

Jessica ❁ Elsecaller ❁ at Rabid Reads
5/25/15 REREAD with Ilona Andrews Addicts (IAA)! I'm getting started a day late b/c Memorial Day. *shrugs* It'll still be AWESOME.

Did you guys watch American Gladiators when you were kids? I just looked it up on IMDB, and the show's first run was from 1989-1997.<-----eight years is a LONG time.

Long enough for most of you to have watched it at some point during your childhood. B/c really? What's better than ridiculously muscled men (and women) in red, white, and blue spandex with names like N
The Holy Terror
Jul 14, 2013 The Holy Terror rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to The Holy Terror by: The Flooze
Alright, alright. I am now fully entrenched in the "I Love the Kate Daniels Series" camp. Magic Bites was ok, Magic Burns was better, and Magic Strikes had me grinning from ear to ear at the last page. I'm desperate now to read the next one to see what happens with Kate and Curran. The tension they've built up is absolutely delicious. THIS is how you create a relationship in a series. I hate authors that think throwing the two characters into bed with each other right away is either realistic, p ...more
Lora
Sep 12, 2011 Lora rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people on the same joy ride as me
Recommended to Lora by: refer to first paragraph
I can't believe no one mentioned this series to me, recommended this series to me, or spammed my profile with comments and PMs proclaiming this series' awesomeness. They should have. To everyone that didn't, you're on my shit list.

Luckily for me, I finally made the decision on my own, like a big girl, and decided to give this series a try.
Once I did, it wasn't exactly love at first page, but I've quickly moved into the honeymoon stage. Here's to the honeymoon never ending.
Very rarely do I come a
✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
Buddy rereread with the eye candy IA Addicts starting May 25, 2015.

First rating: 5
Second rating: 10
Third rating: 15

Updated May 30, 2015

Okay, I feel really bad here. I really should have written another review for this instead of simply doing the Copy + Paste Thing. I mean, this is IA. These Two own my soul. I owe it to them to write a new review every single time I reread one of their books. But what am I supposed to say? My inspiration has its limits. Hey, maybe I should just sub-contract
Navessa
I promised myself that I would review this book after finishing it the second time around. I took expansive notes, I copied my favorite quotes down in preparation and I even went so far as to try to start writing a review while still reading. I made several attempts actually. The first was a gushing letter to the author. The second was a serious breakdown of the story and characters that just felt all wrong and the third was a half drunken, rambling poem modeled after “There once was a man from ...more
First reread January 2015

Original rating: 5
New rating: 10

Post-Shift Productions proudly present
Just Another Day in the Life of Kate Daniels

8.00 a.m.: roll out of bed after getting 2 hours of sleep. Realize you're hungry. Open the fridge to get some of that leftover apple pie. The plate is empty. Strange.
8.30 a.m.: rescue your teenage werewolf sidekick from Saiman. Watch Saiman change form and throw up in your mouth a little.
9.00 a.m.: find out His Furriness became Beast Lord at the tender a
Robin (Bridge Four)
Kate Daniels Buddy Read/Reread starts May 25 with the gang at Ilona Andrews Addicts (IAA)

Revised Fangirl Review upon the Re-read of the series before Magic Breaks is Released.

photo kateandcurran_zpsd4df0f38.jpg

Magic Strikes has Gladiator style fighting with MAGIC so it is even better, sexual tension so thick you can cut it with a knife, flying palaces in a separate realm and a murder mystery as good as any crime novel.

gladiator photo: Gladiator tumblr_m41l4bcylQ1qmsksao1_500.gif

I loved it even more the second time around. All the quips, the intense and extremely entertaining battles, the
Jo ★The Book Sloth★
10 out of 5 Stars

This book was one giant ball of awesomeness and of course once again it's morning and I have yet to sleep.

Kate, Derek, Jim and his crew get involved in an illegal gladiator tournament against the orders of Curran who has banned the shifters from taking part in it. Of course all hell breaks lose pretty soon.

So... the juicy stuff:

If you haven't read the book please don't open the spoiler. It's major.

(view spoiler)
Maggie
5 SIGNS THAT YOU'VE BEEN INFECTED WITH THE KATE DANIELS VIRUS

1. That knife you used to butter your toast? It now has a name.

2. You relate everything in the real world back to the Kate Daniels world and start making the cheesiest jokes.

3. You said "Katelanta." Even once.

4. Lions. How hot are they?! --> This is a legitimate thought.

5. You're panicked that your Kindle battery will run out mid book because you usually charge it while sleeping but you haven't been sleeping because of this series!

T
Sh3lly ♛ Queen of Dragons and Wandering Crustaceans ♛
First Read: October 2014
Second Read: May 2015

Still just as amazing as the first time! New thoughts: I love how loyal Kate is and how much she cares for her friends. It's fun to see her drawn more and more to Curran. Curran is one of the sexiest shifters in UF. I don't usually care for shifters as much as other paranormal creatures, but IA writes them well.

I LOVE Saiman in this. We get to meet Hugh (another personal favorite). The mythology is absolutely amazing in this and so much happens alo
Heather
Apr 16, 2012 Heather rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Heather by: Penny
Re-read in 2012.

Holy Shit! I love this series. I've spent the last 24 hours burning through Magic Burns (Kate Daniels, #2) and Magic Strikes (Kate Daniels, #3). My eyes are blurry, my head is fuzzy, and I still have a smile plastered across my face. Did I mention that I loved this series?

Where to start, where to start? I think I shall devote this review to a bit of fangirl squeeing.

When I finished Magic Bites (Kate Daniels, #1), I was on the fence about how I felt about it. I needed a nudge to
Anzu The Great Destroyer
This, my dear, has been another thrilling book from the Kate Daniels series. As I was expecting, it kicked ass. I loved every jiffy of it and, as it always happens with the books I love, I have no idea what to write in my review. Everything I type ends up retarded, boring, daft and not good enough to show the size of the awesomeness that is Magic Strikes. So I will keep it simple as a chicken’s rear end.

But I’ll be a bit serious now. It’s the little things that make me love this series. Raphael’
Evgeny
Buddy read with Armina, Eilonwy, and Asya.

Kate Daniels, a former member of Mercenary Guild which deals with supernatural troublemakers now works in Order of Merciful Aid - these guys basically do the same job, but only charge what you can afford and the final result might not be pretty because of their beliefs (kind of like modern Crusaders). Somebody started killing shape-shifters of Atlanta and at the same time her friend who also happened to be a werewolf got into a trouble; obviously Kate c
Tadiana ♕Part-Time Dictator♕
I enjoyed the first two books in this series, but this one reached new levels of fun and games (of the gladiator death match variety) and just sheer awesomeness.

Kate Daniels and her werewolf, were-hyena and other shapeshifter friends get mixed up with some shady goings-on in connection with an underground organization that puts on cage fights of the magical variety. Meanwhile, Julie (Kate's teenage friend from book #2) is having trouble adjusting in school, so Kate decides some impressing of Ju
Rachel ♥Reads Ravenously♥
I don't feel like reviewing, so all I'll say is this book was awesome. This series is awesome and you should read it.
The end.
Carol.
Apr 16, 2013 Carol. rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: any UF fan who likes a kick-butt heroine

Remember when I said I loved Magic Burns? I might just love this book a little more. Just how good is it? Enough that it was my go-to when I was recently recovering from a headache--I wanted a dependable, awesome read and didn't want to start anything new that I'd end up hating.

Magic Strikes is the third book in one of the best urban fantasy series out there. It maintains a very fast-moving plot with nicely developed characterization, has an unusual magic-technology premise, and stars a woman wh
Felicia
I love love this series. I'm getting tired of a lot of this paranormal stuff, so many iterations, but this is a GREAT world, GREAT characters, good plotting. The writing is really good, I feel like the hardest thing to do is be SIMPLE, and this author's style is so concise and honest and believable. I really really love this series and would recommend it to anyone, men or women!
julio
Aug 05, 2014 julio rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to julio by: MostlyDelores
I don't have a problem, your face has a problem, dafuq, leave me alone.

so, despite aesthetic niggles and one (frequent and more or less catastrophic) example of either clumsiness or appalling heteronormative bias (i can't decide), this is turning out to be a wildly entertaining series.

the structure in the last third was defined by (view spoiler)
✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
First reread January 2015 - See review here.

*********
Original review (June 2014):

How much better can this series get!? I’m seriously being blown away by every new instalment here. KD = pure awesomeness. Fabulous, exciting, memorable, astounding, staggering, wonderful, impressive, breathtaking, and nothing short of downright amazing.

Ever went on a roller coaster ride? Take that feeling, multiply it by 10 and you might get an idea of what this book is like. There is so much to take here that my h
Erica Ravenclaw

No spoilers and colorful language abound!

Magic Bites Review
Magic Burns Review

photo woo_zps219adcf7.gif

I came into this read prepared, I took notes of my favorite quotes, I jotted ideas and funny quips, I was going to continue to review this series with a coherent and tangible thread of consciousness. I was, I was, I was, blah blah blah, am I right? I'm like the last kid arriving at the cool table here, I don't need to talk about the plot there are a 1000+ reviews doing exactly that above me. It's cool, that's no
Athena (Shardbearer)

WOW!!! Kate Daniels, you're my new girl crush!!! I can't explain how refreshing and complete I feel after reading these books, and I can say that I'm a fan after reading this one.

First, I wasn't a knight; I just worked for the Order of Knights of Merciful Aid. Second, negotiation wasn't my forte. I killed things. Quickly and with much bloodshed. Getting elderly banshees in denial off telephone poles wasn't something I did often.

I don't know where I've been living for the past few years, but a
Anne

I'm getting seriously attached to this crazy world!
This is such a great urban fantasy series, and I can't believe I put off reading it for so long.
What the hell was wrong with me?!
Doesn't matter. I'm officially part of the Kate for President movement now.
*Warning: The remainder of the review will probably be nothing more than me doing some squealy fangirling.*

Kate & Curran!
Love them! LOOOOOVE them! Why can't more urban fantasy give us a slow burn like these two have? I'm more than
The Flooze
Oh. My. God!

::wigglewiggle::

I am one big fan-girl squeal.

I am also freaking out that I now have to wait (how many months? argh!) for the next installment.

I want to be Kate. I really want a Curran, and I need the next book to be here already!

Ilona Andrews has really amazed me. There's steady improvement with each book of this series, and Magic Strikes promises that more fabulousness will follow.

I love Kate. She's incredibly loyal, determined, and crazy. But the good kind of crazy. The kind that
Liz*
TAKE A MINUTE. ENJOY THE AWESOME. GIVE ALL THE STARS.
#spoilersahead

I have nothing relevant to say and my head is about to explode, so tonight I'm bringing you:

9 Reasons Why Magic Strikes Is Fucking Awesome:

#9 - Andrea&Raphael Cuteness
"When it was done, Raphael carried Andrea to the shower, murmuring soothing endearments into her ear."

#8 - The Thong Christmas Tree

#7 - Ass-kicking and Badassery
"He went down and I grasped his head by the hair and plunged the hair sticks into his left eye, once,
Teryna90
For those who haven't read this series, it's time you do! This series is amazing. If you get past book one, that is indeed the only book not worthy, you'll find yourself thrown in this magic world, full of action, amazing characters and a great spicy hot love story.

This book is like a drug addiction! Do you know what a drug addiction is? No? Me neither, lol. So I'll actually use another metaphor.

description

In this book more things are revealed and we get to feel so many emotions! Feels. Really it's all ab
♥Rachel♥
4.5 Stars

Wow, this story went from entertaining to amazing in one book! Let me count the ways:

1. We FINALLY get some answers to who and what Kate is!! YES! I love this rocking, kick-ass heroine. She's not whiny, she's not too cocky, and she has a sword named Slayer. This girl has some serious fighting skills and isn't afraid to put herself in harms way for the ones she holds dear.

2. CURRAN!! Oh my heart HIS MAJESTY THE BEAST LORD! I'll cook for you anytime. Talk about knight-in-shining armor:
Fran
I.CAN'T.STOP.READING.THIS.SERIES!!!
Beanbag Love
Damn. Just ... damn.

So, I started with the acknowledgments and Andrews says something about Jeaniene Frost (Night Huntress series) beta reading her book and sending out a posse. So, I thought, heh heh, she must hint sex and not go there.

Then some stuff happens and I'm like, "What?! No! You can't kill him!!!"

Sheesh.

I was on the edge of my seat for this entire book. Nearly in tears at some points and laughing out loud at others. And loving the romantic developments as well.

Kate gets involved in
AH
Oh my, I loved this book! Magic Strikes is the best book in the series so far! I liked Magic Bites. Magic Burns was better. But this book was awesome!

Ilona Andrews creates a world full of magic that ebbs and flows. As the magic hits, all technology becomes useless. She combines this with an interesting lore about shape shifters and other magical creatures. The author then adds in some very colorful characters with all sorts of special abilities. Mixed in is some great dialogue, some edge of your
  • Curran, Vol. II: Fathers and Sons (Curran POV, #2)
  • City of Ghosts (Downside Ghosts, #3)
  • Double Cross (The Disillusionists Trilogy, #2)
  • Late Eclipses (October Daye #4)
  • Grave Dance (Alex Craft, #2)
  • Venom (Elemental Assassin, #3)
  • Death's Mistress (Dorina Basarab, #2)
  • Night Blade (Colbana Files, #2)
  • Magic on the Storm (Allie Beckstrom, #4)
  • Summoning the Night (Arcadia Bell, #2)
  • Fair Game (Alpha & Omega, #3)
  • Raven Cursed (Jane Yellowrock, #4)
  • Caressed by Ice (Psy-Changeling, #3)
Ilona Andrews is the pseudonym for a husband-and-wife writing team. author2sm“Ilona is a native-born Russian and Gordon is a former communications sergeant in the U.S. Army. Contrary to popular belief, Gordon was never an intelligence officer with a license to kill, and Ilona was never the mysterious Russian spy who seduced him. They met in college, in English Composition 101, where Ilona got a be ...more
More about Ilona Andrews...

Kate Daniels (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Magic Bites (Kate Daniels, #1)
  • Magic Burns (Kate Daniels, #2)
  • Magic Bleeds (Kate Daniels, #4)
  • Magic Slays (Kate Daniels, #5)
  • Magic Tests (Kate Daniels, #5.3)
  • Magic Rises (Kate Daniels, #6)
  • Magic Breaks (Kate Daniels, #7)
  • Magic Shifts (Kate Daniels, #8)
  • Untitled (Kate Daniels, #9)
  • Untitled (Kate Daniels, #10)
Magic Bites (Kate Daniels, #1) Magic Bleeds (Kate Daniels, #4) Magic Burns (Kate Daniels, #2) Magic Slays (Kate Daniels, #5) Magic Rises (Kate Daniels, #6)

“Curran looked back at me. "Why is it you always attract creeps?"

"You tell me." Ha! Walked right into that one, yes, he did.”
910 likes
“As he passed me, he leaned to Curran and handed him a paper fan folded from some sort of flyer.

Curran looked at the fan. “What?”
"An emergency precaution, Your Majesty. In case the lady faints.”

Curran just stared at him.

Raphael strode toward the Pit, turned, flexed a bit, and winked at me.

"Give me that,” I told Curran. “I need to fan myself.”
"No, you don’t.”