Start by marking “Magic Strikes (Kate Daniels, #3)” as Want to Read:
Magic Strikes (Kate Daniels, #3)

Magic Strikes (Kate Daniels #3)

4.44  ·  Rating Details  ·  47,195 Ratings  ·  2,209 Reviews
When magic strikes and Atlanta goes to pieces, it’s a job for Kate Daniels…

Drafted into working for the Order of Merciful Aid, mercenary Kate Daniels has more paranormal problems than she knows what to do with these days. And in Atlanta, where magic comes and goes like the tide, that’s saying a lot.

But when Kate's werewolf friend Derek is discovered nearly dead, she must
Mass Market Paperback, 310 pages
Published March 31st 2009 by Ace (first published February 20th 2009)

Graceling by Kristin CashoreVampire Academy by Richelle MeadAlanna by Tamora PierceThrone of Glass by Sarah J. MaasPoison Study by Maria V. Snyder
Best "Strong Female" Fantasy Novels
52nd out of 3,376 books — 12,919 voters
Halfway to the Grave by Jeaniene FrostDarkfever by Karen Marie MoningDark Lover by J.R. WardMoon Called by Patricia BriggsMagic Bites by Ilona Andrews
Best ADULT Urban Fantasy and Paranormal Romance
31st out of 2,767 books — 6,359 voters

More lists with this book...

Katerina
Apr 17, 2016 Katerina rated it it was amazing
The Top 8 Reasons why you should drop everything you're doing and grab the Kate Daniels series ASAP
(focusing on Magic Strikes)

1.The huge variety of mythology:celtic,greek, and now norse and hindu.Honestly,every supernatural creature you've ever heard will make an appearance,preferably soaked in blood and other substances I dare not name,and will deliver you extraordinary threats,unique bloodbath and eventually it will be killed in the most badass way.

2.The Midnight Games.An underground gladiat
Jessica ❁ Far Dareis Mai ❁ Rabid Reads
5/25/15 REREAD with Ilona Andrews Addicts (IAA)! I'm getting started a day late b/c Memorial Day. *shrugs* It'll still be AWESOME.

Did you guys watch American Gladiators when you were kids? I just looked it up on IMDB, and the show's first run was from 1989-1997.<-----eight years is a LONG time.

Long enough for most of you to have watched it at some point during your childhood. B/c really? What's better than ridiculously muscled men (and women) in red, white, and blue spandex with names like N
The Holy Terror
Jul 14, 2013 The Holy Terror rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to The Holy Terror by: The Flooze
Alright, alright. I am now fully entrenched in the "I Love the Kate Daniels Series" camp. Magic Bites was ok, Magic Burns was better, and Magic Strikes had me grinning from ear to ear at the last page. I'm desperate now to read the next one to see what happens with Kate and Curran. The tension they've built up is absolutely delicious. THIS is how you create a relationship in a series. I hate authors that think throwing the two characters into bed with each other right away is either realistic, p ...more
Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ (of badger and SNAKE)
Feb 28, 2016 Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ (of badger and SNAKE) rated it really liked it
Recommended to Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ (of badger and SNAKE) by: ✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)

I, the undersigned, duly authorized representative of my frowning self, hereby state that all my pressuring friends were right when they declared, and I quote them, "it gets better".

This present declaration allows them for expressing their satisfaction at the ruin of my stubbornness, including by using disheartening gloating sayings as, "I told you so".

In addition, to ensure fair and full disclosure, please see the attached terms and conditions of my surrender :

Clause # 1 : I hereby certify t
✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
Buddy rereread with the eye candy IA Addicts starting May 25, 2015.

First rating: 5
Second rating: 10
Third rating: 15

Updated May 30, 2015

Okay, I feel really bad here. I really should have written another review for this instead of simply doing the Copy + Paste Thing. I mean, this is IA. These Two own my soul. I owe it to them to write a new review every single time I reread one of their books. But what am I supposed to say? My inspiration has its limits. Hey, maybe I should just sub-contract
Lora
Sep 12, 2011 Lora rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: people on the same joy ride as me
Recommended to Lora by: refer to first paragraph
I can't believe no one mentioned this series to me, recommended this series to me, or spammed my profile with comments and PMs proclaiming this series' awesomeness. They should have. To everyone that didn't, you're on my shit list.

Luckily for me, I finally made the decision on my own, like a big girl, and decided to give this series a try.
Once I did, it wasn't exactly love at first page, but I've quickly moved into the honeymoon stage. Here's to the honeymoon never ending.
Very rarely do I come a
Robin (Bridge Four)
Yes I'm reading the Kate Daniels Series AGAIN and guess what I love it a little more every time. 3rd read and this is still my favorite of the series. So many great moments. This book gets ALL THE STARS

Kate Daniels Buddy Read/Reread May 25 with the gang at Ilona Andrews Addicts (IAA)

Revised Fangirl Review upon the Re-read of the series before Magic Breaks is Released.

photo kateandcurran_zpsd4df0f38.jpg

Magic Strikes has Gladiator style fighting with MAGIC so it is even better, sexual tension so thick you can cut it with a knife,
First reread January 2015

Original rating: 5
New rating: 10

Post-Shift Productions proudly present
Just Another Day in the Life of Kate Daniels

8.00 a.m.: roll out of bed after getting 2 hours of sleep. Realize you're hungry. Open the fridge to get some of that leftover apple pie. The plate is empty. Strange.
8.30 a.m.: rescue your teenage werewolf sidekick from Saiman. Watch Saiman change form and throw up in your mouth a little.
9.00 a.m.: find out His Furriness became Beast Lord at the tender a
Navessa
Oct 03, 2015 Navessa rated it it was amazing
I promised myself that I would review this book after finishing it the second time around. I took expansive notes, I copied my favorite quotes down in preparation and I even went so far as to try to start writing a review while still reading. I made several attempts actually. The first was a gushing letter to the author. The second was a serious breakdown of the story and characters that just felt all wrong and the third was a half drunken, rambling poem modeled after “There once was a man from ...more
Simona Bartolotta
Feb 12, 2016 Simona Bartolotta rated it really liked it
"I gave him a smile. I was aiming for sweet, but he turned a shade paler and scooted a bit farther from me. Note to self: work more on sweet and less on psycho-killer."

This is the first book in this series that actually, truly, really struck me. The previus two were undeniably, deliciously funny, enjoyable, quick (I read each of them in one sitting) and frustratingly cute when it came to Kate and Curran, because, let's face it, this couple here is the ultimate level of everyhing definable as fru
Melissa (Ever So Mela)
3.75

Well thank God everyone was right!

While the first two were intriguing, this one blew them out of the water.

Where they sluggishly built up to a semblance of a plot, this one made it clear from the start.
Where they were slow with more descriptions than action, this one was a non-stop Rambo movie-with better CGI.
Where they had characters and, at times, scenes that just didn't make sense, this one read with perfect clarity leading us down a very dangerous rabbit hole.

Again I say cause you mig
Athena Shardbearer

5 Stars AGAIN!!!!

You're so PURRRRRRR-fect, book.....I need you in my life...again.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

WOW!!! Kate Daniels, you're my new girl crush!!! I can't explain how refreshing and complete I feel after reading these books, and I can say that I'm a fan after reading this one.

First, I wasn't a knight; I just worked for the Order of Knights of Merciful Aid. Second, negotiation wasn't my forte. I killed things. Quickly and with much bloodshed.
Maria Snyder
Oct 04, 2015 Maria Snyder rated it it was amazing
Love this series - I finished this last night and am trying not to buy the next one right now! You're not going to get a detailed review from me on this one - if you're not loving these by now, then there's nothing I could say to convince you! :)
Glass
5-hey-kitty-kitty-stars

description
Sh3lly ✨ Guardian of Mermaids with Broken Tails ✨
First Read: October 2014
Second Read: May 2015

Still just as amazing as the first time! New thoughts: I love how loyal Kate is and how much she cares for her friends. It's fun to see her drawn more and more to Curran. Curran is one of the sexiest shifters in UF. I don't usually care for shifters as much as other paranormal creatures, but IA writes them well.

I LOVE Saiman in this. We get to meet Hugh (another personal favorite). The mythology is absolutely amazing in this and so much happens alo
Jo ★The Book Sloth★
10 out of 5 Stars

This book was one giant ball of awesomeness and of course once again it's morning and I have yet to sleep.

Kate, Derek, Jim and his crew get involved in an illegal gladiator tournament against the orders of Curran who has banned the shifters from taking part in it. Of course all hell breaks lose pretty soon.

So... the juicy stuff:

If you haven't read the book please don't open the spoiler. It's major.

(view spoiler)
Vilda
Rating: 4,5 stars

'Curran looked back at me. "Why is it you always attract creeps?"
"You tell me." Ha! Walked right into that one, yes, he did.'

I've heard so many times that this series becomes fantastic at book 3, but I have to admit I wasn't sure I believed it--at least not for myself, after having struggled with the first two books. While I wanted this book to work out, I was scared that this just wouldn't be a series for me.

Perhaps that's why I was so blown away; I didn't expect to love it a
Maggie
5 SIGNS THAT YOU'VE BEEN INFECTED WITH THE KATE DANIELS VIRUS

1. That knife you used to butter your toast? It now has a name.

2. You relate everything in the real world back to the Kate Daniels world and start making the cheesiest jokes.

3. You said "Katelanta." Even once.

4. Lions. How hot are they?! --> This is a legitimate thought.

5. You're panicked that your Kindle battery will run out mid book because you usually charge it while sleeping but you haven't been sleeping because of this series!

T
Evgeny
Sep 05, 2014 Evgeny rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Buddy read with Armina, Eilonwy, and Asya.

Kate Daniels, a former member of Mercenary Guild which deals with supernatural troublemakers now works in Order of Merciful Aid - these guys basically do the same job, but only charge what you can afford and the final result might not be pretty because of their beliefs (kind of like modern Crusaders). Somebody started killing shape-shifters of Atlanta and at the same time her friend who also happened to be a werewolf got into a trouble; obviously Kate c
Anzu The Great Destroyer
This, my dear, has been another thrilling book from the Kate Daniels series. As I was expecting, it kicked ass. I loved every jiffy of it and, as it always happens with the books I love, I have no idea what to write in my review. Everything I type ends up retarded, boring, daft and not good enough to show the size of the awesomeness that is Magic Strikes. So I will keep it simple as a chicken’s rear end.

But I’ll be a bit serious now. It’s the little things that make me love this series. Raphael’
Heather
Apr 16, 2012 Heather rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Heather by: Penny
Re-read in 2012.

Holy Shit! I love this series. I've spent the last 24 hours burning through Magic Burns (Kate Daniels, #2) and Magic Strikes (Kate Daniels, #3). My eyes are blurry, my head is fuzzy, and I still have a smile plastered across my face. Did I mention that I loved this series?

Where to start, where to start? I think I shall devote this review to a bit of fangirl squeeing.

When I finished Magic Bites (Kate Daniels, #1), I was on the fence about how I felt about it. I needed a nudge to
Felicia
Apr 02, 2009 Felicia rated it it was amazing
I love love this series. I'm getting tired of a lot of this paranormal stuff, so many iterations, but this is a GREAT world, GREAT characters, good plotting. The writing is really good, I feel like the hardest thing to do is be SIMPLE, and this author's style is so concise and honest and believable. I really really love this series and would recommend it to anyone, men or women!
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
I enjoyed the first two books in this series, but this one reached new levels of fun and games (of the gladiator death match variety) and just sheer awesomeness.

Kate Daniels and her werewolf, were-hyena and other shapeshifter friends get mixed up with some shady goings-on in connection with an underground organization that puts on cage fights of the magical variety. Meanwhile, Julie (Kate's teenage friend from book #2) is having trouble adjusting in school, so Kate decides some impressing of Ju
✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
First reread January 2015 - See review here.

*********
Original review (June 2014):

How much better can this series get!? I’m seriously being blown away by every new instalment here. KD = pure awesomeness. Fabulous, exciting, memorable, astounding, staggering, wonderful, impressive, breathtaking, and nothing short of downright amazing.

Ever went on a roller coaster ride? Take that feeling, multiply it by 10 and you might get an idea of what this book is like. There is so much to take here that my h
Carol.
Apr 16, 2013 Carol. rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: any UF fan who likes a kick-butt heroine

Remember when I said I loved Magic Burns? I might just love this book a little more. Just how good is it? Enough that it was my go-to when I was recently recovering from a headache--I wanted a dependable, awesome read and didn't want to start anything new that I'd end up hating.

Magic Strikes is the third book in one of the best urban fantasy series out there. It maintains a very fast-moving plot with nicely developed characterization, has an unusual magic-technology premise, and stars a woman wh
Rachel Reads Ravenously (AKA The Wildcard Reader)
I don't feel like reviewing, so all I'll say is this book was awesome. This series is awesome and you should read it.
The end.
julio
Aug 05, 2014 julio rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to julio by: MostlyDelores
I don't have a problem, your face has a problem, dafuq, leave me alone.

so, despite aesthetic niggles and one (frequent and more or less catastrophic) example of either clumsiness or appalling heteronormative bias (i can't decide), this is turning out to be a wildly entertaining series.

the structure in the last third was defined by (view spoiler)
Shandra
Reread June 2015.

Definitely better the second time around, which I have no idea how it could be better seeing as I loved it so much the first time. This remains a five plus star read, and it stays on the favorites shelf. Loved. It!!!!

Initial read August 2014:

Initial thoughts:
Perfection!!!!! Review to come.

Review:

Actual rating: ALL the stars!!!!!! No spoilers.

This book...

Bliss photo: Bliss bliss.gif

This world...

Bliss photo: Bill got bling for Christmas anim_the_mieem_bird_bill_tries_cost.gif

I can't even...there's no amount of words for me to appropriately depict my strong love for this world!!!

Kat
Melissa
Jan 24, 2016 Melissa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Okay Okay... I'm sold! When I read the first two books I liked them, but I didn't LOVE LOVE them. If you get me... Well after this book I am happy to announce that I do in fact LOVE LOVE this series! Absolutely fantastic book! The best of the series so far! WOW! --- Just letting you know in advance that there are going to be many exclamation marks and words expressed in capital letters in this review!!!

Kate is back yet again in book 3 of The Kate Daniels series. Something strange is going on wit
Anne

I'm getting seriously attached to this crazy world!
This is such a great urban fantasy series, and I can't believe I put off reading it for so long.
What the hell was wrong with me?!
Doesn't matter. I'm officially part of the Kate for President movement now.
*Warning: The remainder of the review will probably be nothing more than me doing some squealy fangirling.*

Kate & Curran!
Love them! LOOOOOVE them! Why can't more urban fantasy give us a slow burn like these two have? I'm more than
  • Kate's Daddy (Curran POV, #3)
  • City of Ghosts (Downside Ghosts, #3)
  • Double Cross (The Disillusionists Trilogy, #2)
  • Silver Borne (Mercy Thompson, #5)
  • Late Eclipses (October Daye, #4)
  • Murder of Crows (The Others, #2)
  • Death's Mistress (Dorina Basarab, #2)
  • Mercy Blade (Jane Yellowrock, #3)
Ilona Andrews is the pseudonym for a husband-and-wife writing team. author2sm“Ilona is a native-born Russian and Gordon is a former communications sergeant in the U.S. Army. Contrary to popular belief, Gordon was never an intelligence officer with a license to kill, and Ilona was never the mysterious Russian spy who seduced him. They met in college, in English Composition 101, where Ilona got a be ...more
More about Ilona Andrews...

Kate Daniels (10 books)
  • Magic Bites (Kate Daniels, #1)
  • Magic Burns (Kate Daniels, #2)
  • Magic Bleeds (Kate Daniels, #4)
  • Magic Slays (Kate Daniels, #5)
  • Magic Rises (Kate Daniels, #6)
  • Magic Breaks (Kate Daniels, #7)
  • Magic Shifts (Kate Daniels, #8)
  • Magic Binds (Kate Daniels, #9)
  • Untitled (Kate Daniels, #10)

“Curran looked back at me. "Why is it you always attract creeps?"

"You tell me." Ha! Walked right into that one, yes, he did.”
989 likes
“As he passed me, he leaned to Curran and handed him a paper fan folded from some sort of flyer.

Curran looked at the fan. “What?”
"An emergency precaution, Your Majesty. In case the lady faints.”

Curran just stared at him.

Raphael strode toward the Pit, turned, flexed a bit, and winked at me.

"Give me that,” I told Curran. “I need to fan myself.”
"No, you don’t.”