Denyse Schmidt Quilts: 30 Colorful Quilt and Patchwork Projects

Denyse Schmidt Quilts: 30 Colorful Quilt and Patchwork Projects

4.1 of 5 stars 4.10  ·  rating details  ·  340 ratings  ·  55 reviews
In Denyse Schmidt Quilts, the ultimate resource for the home quilter, Schmidt reveals the secrets behind her most popular designs. Thirty projects range from the simple to the challenging, from patchwork slippers and aprons to tote bags and pillows to her beloved quilt patterns, offering something for every level of quilter. Schmidt reviews the fundamentals of quilting and...more
Published July 21st 2005 by Chronicle Books (first published July 7th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Denyse Schmidt Quilts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Denyse Schmidt Quilts

Cynthia
Oct 28, 2008 Cynthia rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who sews or wishes they did
You can love quilts and be a modernist!

I love Denyse's style of clean lines and geometric shapes. Such a breath of fresh air from all the nasty froo-froo quilting going on out there. I am a good quilter but gave it up a few years ago because my tastes are more contemporary. I've been picking it up again lately, due in part to the inspiration from this book.

What a Bunch of Squares is my favorite quilt in this book that I am going to make, maybe in just a throw size though.

I would've given this b...more
Kelly
Jul 20, 2007 Kelly rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: crafters
Shelves: craftyresources
This book is not just for quilters, but for crafters in general. Many great gift ideas including: coasters, bags, pillows, and quilts. Very modern styles! Totally recommend as an idea sparker.
JayeL
Mar 25, 2008 JayeL rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: quilt
Denyse Schmidt seems to be on a mission to single
handedly get young people interested in quilt making. Her designs are simple and elegant and have interesting color combinations. The emphasis is not on matching points precisely, but making quilt projects with a lot of movement and fresh color choices. She also has a variety of different projects, one of which made me think that I actually could make a tote bag. Her writing style is fun. While some of the directions are a bit confusing, I think a...more
Marykickel

Maybe you are like me and like contemporary or modern country design and want to make a quilt. Well this is perfect. No ugly fabrics, or amish designs. Very contemporary and graphic designs. And although denyse gives no guidance once you've got the quilt sandwich basted together, at that point, you feel like a superstar because you are essentially looking at something close to a finished product. Besides, get yourself a walking foot for sewing machine and you are good to go.
There are also small...more
Kate W
I have to admit that I haven't made anything from this book yet since I'm still working on my quilt with Asian fabrics. I however have a collection of Japanese indigos and tea-dyed muslin ready for her string quilt. I honestly want to make everything in the book.

I used to work in a quilt shop and this book made some of the ladies there uncomfortable. Denyse's modern aesthetic goes against many conventional ideas in quilt-making. I found it refreshing that she mostly uses solid fabrics to show o...more
Alex
Oct 18, 2007 Alex rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: quilters
I thought the best part of the book was the first section where she talks about how she does things - pieces, quilts, etc. Very straight forward and got the point across in a very different way than other quilting books which are so technical as to be confusing. This would be excellent for someone starting out. The book itself was more valuable to me as a 'foster of ideas' than to make her quilts, which are cool, but are very much hers. It's a gorgeous book quality-wise and I'll definitely buy i...more
Kerrilyn
I actually sat down and read this book cover to cover. I think there is a ton of inspiration in it as well as practical knowledge about quilting/sewing.

Perhaps if I had more experience with quilting I would have skipped a lot of it, but I have sewn just enough to understand what Schmidt is talking about and be able to pull new tidbits and tricks to make my work better. I love her style and I would make 95% of the projects she has in this book.
Erika
I love this book! Great instructions and tips on quilting,nice photos and clear directions. Great array of projects from simple little pieced projects to an entire quilt, including wearables and crafts. I personally love the Scrap Wrap scarf, the coasters, the Three Faces of Steve stuffie, and several of the quilts. A great addition to a Modern Quilter's bookshelf!
caroline
i don't know why i constantly borrow quilt books. first of all i'm not doing a quilting project right at this moment, & secondly i have a really good quilt book that encompasses every tip, instruction, topic possible when quilting. but yeah, so what, i enjoy flipping through quilt books to check out each project and the pictures.
Katie
I'm ready to leave behind my editorial career and librarian aspirations for a career of quilting after reading this book. I enjoyed piecing together patchwork quilts when I was younger, but left the hobby behind as "old-fashioned" as I grew older. This book revived my passion and made me look at quilting in a whole new way.
Julie
This is a great book for a beginner quilter that wants to learn how to make quilts with a modern twist. It gives in depth information on tools and techniques that will help you get started. I checked it out from the library since there are so many books on quilting, but I will definitely buy this one.
Summer
As a novice quilter, I found this one to be inspirational and super easy to use. I've made a couple versions of flying geese (one crib size, one queen size that is nearly complete) and will keep making more based on some of the other patterns. Highly recommended!
Krista
I'm not super excited about most of what is in this book, but there are a few quilts that caught my eye...that I'd love to try out once I learn free-motion quilting:
A day at the beach (109); Flock of triangles (113); the big zig (141). She uses really fun colors.
Wendy
Feb 23, 2008 Wendy rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Crafty Folk
Shelves: crafty
This book is full of beautiful pictures and ideas. However, many projects involve a fair amount of hand sewing, which I just don't believe in. I made one quilt from the book as well as a set of coasters. They were time consuming, but look great, if I do say so myself.
Jackie
I've had this book for years. It's full of awesome projects that are explained in easy to understand way as long as you have at least a basic understanding of quilting. Still haven't gotten around to making my quilt, but hopefully this summer I will!
Rebecca
Got this book from the library and I love it!!! It is a perfect inspiration for the kind of modern simple quilts that I am attracted to. I am in the process of making one now that is a take off of one in this book. Wish me luck.
Michelle BF
I wish I had more time to do some of the projects in here. This is on my wish list to own! I love her clean lines and geometric shapes. She also has a range of projects that include quilted cards!

Denyse Schmidt Quilts
Valerie
I love the designs in this book, but I do not love that the patterns have to be blown up to huge sizes only done by special order at the copy shop! :)

It has lot's of good quilting fundamentals for the beginner like me.
Sonja
I like the end result of the projects, but think that strip piecing would be better for most projects than using the templates. Either the goal is to make quilts just like hers or to get you to buy the book for the templates.
Caro
Mar 30, 2013 Caro rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: quilts
Everything old is new again: not since the 60s have I seen so many patterns for aprons and cushions, with a Marimekko influence on colors and fabric choices. Nicely done if you like this kind of thing.
Adrieanna
Wonderful for beginners and experienced alike. Denyse Schmidt's quilts inspire me to move outside of what I think a quilt is. I have made several projects from this book and am never disappointed.
Carie
Denyse's projects remind me of the Quilts of Gee's Bend. They look like contemporary art pieces. http://www.quiltsofgeesbend.com/

I also love the different craft ideas. She is so creative.
Chelsie
Modern quilters dream...so many great ideas and inspiration. I've done a couple of projects from this book. The only annoying part is that the patterns have to be enlarged before use.
Emma
One of the first craft book I HAD to buy. I read it obsessively for about a year. I've made a Steve, made my interpretation of a scarf p.57, and drooled over her design and colour sense.
Trish Boese
3* Denyse Schmidt Quilts tells all you need to know about quilting. I liked this book but actually didn't find it as inspiring as some of the other quilting books I've perused recently.
Rachael
This is an inspiration for a lot of current/modern quilters. The pictures are better than the instructions, but it's nice to see these quilts in a book instead of just online.
Melissa
Man, am I ever in love with the quilt designs and projects in this book. Bright bright colors, and I really like the Flea Market Fancy fabrics from Denyse Schmidt's line.
Melissa
Fresh spin on old patterns. Good inspiration. I'm too busy to undertake a project now (and my cutting mat is in the shed in Carbondale...)but someday I'll come back for this.
Seana
Lots of typical house stuff, I really like the quilted cards (made), the heating pad cover (plan to make) and the "Any Way You Slice It" quilt.
Elizabeth
Returned to the library, reluctantly, but not before I created a bond with it that will one day allow it to be added to my personal collection :)
  • Last-Minute Patchwork + Quilted Gifts
  • Amy Butler's In Stitches: More Than 25 Simple and Stylish Sewing Projects
  • The Practical Guide to Patchwork: New Basics for the Modern Quiltmaker: 12 Quilt Projects
  • Lotta Jansdotter's Simple Sewing: Patterns and How-To for 24 Fresh and Easy Projects
  • Simple Sewing with a French Twist: An Illustrated Guide to Sewing Clothes and Home Accessories with Style
  • Sew U Home Stretch: The Built by Wendy Guide to Sewing Knit Fabrics
  • Sew What! Bags: 18 Pattern-Free Projects You Can Customize to Fit Your Needs
  • Sew What! Skirts: 16 Simple Styles You Can Make with Fabulous Fabrics
  • Design-It-Yourself Clothes: Patternmaking Simplified
  • Material Obsession: Modern Quilts with Traditional Roots
  • Handmade Home: Simple Ways to Repurpose Old Materials into New Family Treasures
  • Alabama Stitch Book: Projects and Stories Celebrating Hand-Sewing, Quilting and Embroidery for Contemporary Sustainable Style
  • Sew Everything Workshop
Denyse Schmidt: Modern Quilts, Traditional Inspiration: 20 New Designs with Historic Roots Quilt-It Kit: 15 Colorful Quilt and Patchwork Projects Dots & Jots Journal Hope Valley Sticky Notes & To-Do's Hope Valley Mix & Match Stationery