Start by marking “Denyse Schmidt Quilts: 30 Colorful Quilt and Patchwork Projects” as Want to Read:
Denyse Schmidt Quilts: 30 Colorful Quilt and Patchwork Projects

Denyse Schmidt Quilts: 30 Colorful Quilt and Patchwork Projects

In Denyse Schmidt Quilts, the ultimate resource for the home quilter, Schmidt reveals the secrets behind her most popular designs. Thirty projects range from the simple to the challenging, from patchwork slippers and aprons to tote bags and pillows to her beloved quilt patterns, offering something for every level of quilter. Schmidt reviews the fundamentals of quilting and ...more
Published July 21st 2005 by Chronicle Books (first published July 7th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Denyse Schmidt Quilts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Denyse Schmidt Quilts

Cynthia
Feb 14, 2008 Cynthia rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who sews or wishes they did
You can love quilts and be a modernist!

I love Denyse's style of clean lines and geometric shapes. Such a breath of fresh air from all the nasty froo-froo quilting going on out there. I am a good quilter but gave it up a few years ago because my tastes are more contemporary. I've been picking it up again lately, due in part to the inspiration from this book.

What a Bunch of Squares is my favorite quilt in this book that I am going to make, maybe in just a throw size though.

I would've given this b
Kelly
Jul 20, 2007 Kelly rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: crafters
Shelves: craftyresources
This book is not just for quilters, but for crafters in general. Many great gift ideas including: coasters, bags, pillows, and quilts. Very modern styles! Totally recommend as an idea sparker.
Erinn Batykefer
Denyse Schmidt is my favorite modern quilt designer. That said, I think her Denyse Schmidt: Modern Quilts, Traditional Inspiration: 20 New Designs with Historic Roots is a much better book in terms of showcasing her particular talents and aesthetic.

This book isn't bad per se, it's just not focused. There are highly advanced projects next to cutesy hand-sewn toy projects that anyone could do, which meant this title isn't practical as either a quilting text or a design text. I really like some of
JayeL
Mar 25, 2008 JayeL rated it really liked it
Shelves: quilt
Denyse Schmidt seems to be on a mission to single
handedly get young people interested in quilt making. Her designs are simple and elegant and have interesting color combinations. The emphasis is not on matching points precisely, but making quilt projects with a lot of movement and fresh color choices. She also has a variety of different projects, one of which made me think that I actually could make a tote bag. Her writing style is fun. While some of the directions are a bit confusing, I think a
Kate W
Mar 26, 2008 Kate W rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crafts, favorites
I have to admit that I haven't made anything from this book yet since I'm still working on my quilt with Asian fabrics. I however have a collection of Japanese indigos and tea-dyed muslin ready for her string quilt. I honestly want to make everything in the book.

I used to work in a quilt shop and this book made some of the ladies there uncomfortable. Denyse's modern aesthetic goes against many conventional ideas in quilt-making. I found it refreshing that she mostly uses solid fabrics to show o
Marykickel
Oct 03, 2008 Marykickel rated it really liked it

Maybe you are like me and like contemporary or modern country design and want to make a quilt. Well this is perfect. No ugly fabrics, or amish designs. Very contemporary and graphic designs. And although denyse gives no guidance once you've got the quilt sandwich basted together, at that point, you feel like a superstar because you are essentially looking at something close to a finished product. Besides, get yourself a walking foot for sewing machine and you are good to go.
There are also small
Alex
Oct 18, 2007 Alex rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: quilters
I thought the best part of the book was the first section where she talks about how she does things - pieces, quilts, etc. Very straight forward and got the point across in a very different way than other quilting books which are so technical as to be confusing. This would be excellent for someone starting out. The book itself was more valuable to me as a 'foster of ideas' than to make her quilts, which are cool, but are very much hers. It's a gorgeous book quality-wise and I'll definitely buy i ...more
Anna
Sep 13, 2015 Anna rated it it was ok
Not my favorite of Denyse Schmidt's books thought I'm loving her book on traditional quilts made modern (will post that review later), but need to post my review of this book so that I don't check it out again from the public library. If you're brand new to sewing and are looking for simple and easy projects to make in a day or an introduction to what quilting is and how to incorporate that kind of stitching into functional, everyday objects like the Zigzag Bag or a scrap wrap, muffler, apron, o ...more
Leslie Graff
Aug 06, 2016 Leslie Graff rated it really liked it
Adding a review as notes to myself:

Very well done book with clear intro to quilting for the beginner. I appreciate her aesthetic but it isn't mine. I've never really made a minimalist quilt and although I could see making one, I don't think I'd need this book to show me how, but I've also been quilting for 25 years. Overall, a pretty book that doesn't need to sit on my bookshelf any more. Hopefully it will make a secondhand bookstore shopper happy!
Crafterlyn
May 06, 2011 Crafterlyn rated it it was amazing
I actually sat down and read this book cover to cover. I think there is a ton of inspiration in it as well as practical knowledge about quilting/sewing.

Perhaps if I had more experience with quilting I would have skipped a lot of it, but I have sewn just enough to understand what Schmidt is talking about and be able to pull new tidbits and tricks to make my work better. I love her style and I would make 95% of the projects she has in this book.
Julie
Mar 06, 2011 Julie rated it really liked it
This is a great book for a beginner quilter that wants to learn how to make quilts with a modern twist. It gives in depth information on tools and techniques that will help you get started. I checked it out from the library since there are so many books on quilting, but I will definitely buy this one.
Erika Mulvenna
Aug 29, 2012 Erika Mulvenna rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sewing, quilting
I love this book! Great instructions and tips on quilting,nice photos and clear directions. Great array of projects from simple little pieced projects to an entire quilt, including wearables and crafts. I personally love the Scrap Wrap scarf, the coasters, the Three Faces of Steve stuffie, and several of the quilts. A great addition to a Modern Quilter's bookshelf!
Katie
Dec 11, 2007 Katie rated it really liked it
I'm ready to leave behind my editorial career and librarian aspirations for a career of quilting after reading this book. I enjoyed piecing together patchwork quilts when I was younger, but left the hobby behind as "old-fashioned" as I grew older. This book revived my passion and made me look at quilting in a whole new way.
Summer
Jan 28, 2012 Summer rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crafty
As a novice quilter, I found this one to be inspirational and super easy to use. I've made a couple versions of flying geese (one crib size, one queen size that is nearly complete) and will keep making more based on some of the other patterns. Highly recommended!
Valerie
Jun 10, 2008 Valerie rated it really liked it
I love the designs in this book, but I do not love that the patterns have to be blown up to huge sizes only done by special order at the copy shop! :)

It has lot's of good quilting fundamentals for the beginner like me.
Wendy
Jan 24, 2008 Wendy rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Crafty Folk
Shelves: crafty
This book is full of beautiful pictures and ideas. However, many projects involve a fair amount of hand sewing, which I just don't believe in. I made one quilt from the book as well as a set of coasters. They were time consuming, but look great, if I do say so myself.
Rebecca
Apr 16, 2009 Rebecca rated it it was amazing
Got this book from the library and I love it!!! It is a perfect inspiration for the kind of modern simple quilts that I am attracted to. I am in the process of making one now that is a take off of one in this book. Wish me luck.
Jackie
Sep 25, 2011 Jackie rated it it was amazing
I've had this book for years. It's full of awesome projects that are explained in easy to understand way as long as you have at least a basic understanding of quilting. Still haven't gotten around to making my quilt, but hopefully this summer I will!
Caro
Mar 30, 2013 Caro rated it it was ok
Shelves: quilts
Everything old is new again: not since the 60s have I seen so many patterns for aprons and cushions, with a Marimekko influence on colors and fabric choices. Nicely done if you like this kind of thing.
Sonja
Feb 17, 2010 Sonja rated it liked it
I like the end result of the projects, but think that strip piecing would be better for most projects than using the templates. Either the goal is to make quilts just like hers or to get you to buy the book for the templates.
Michelle
Sep 12, 2007 Michelle rated it really liked it
I wish I had more time to do some of the projects in here. This is on my wish list to own! I love her clean lines and geometric shapes. She also has a range of projects that include quilted cards!

Denyse Schmidt Quilts
Krista
Oct 27, 2010 Krista rated it liked it
I'm not super excited about most of what is in this book, but there are a few quilts that caught my eye...that I'd love to try out once I learn free-motion quilting:
A day at the beach (109); Flock of triangles (113); the big zig (141). She uses really fun colors.
Skye
Nov 19, 2008 Skye rated it it was amazing
Can't wait to make one of her quilt patterns. I love her stuff, very simple.
Mar 24, 2008 Jennifer rated it really liked it
I love the projects in this book, especially the modern take that Schmidt has from some more traditional quilt patterns.
Emma
Oct 02, 2008 Emma rated it it was amazing
One of the first craft book I HAD to buy. I read it obsessively for about a year. I've made a Steve, made my interpretation of a scarf p.57, and drooled over her design and colour sense.
Michelle
Jun 12, 2012 Michelle rated it it was ok
I liked the scrap scarf and the tri-tone quilt.
Jen Johnson
Sep 20, 2011 Jen Johnson rated it it was ok
Shelves: crafty
i didn't like the instruction part of this too much, some of the quilting patterns were nice tho, very clean and modern looks.
Angelam
Dec 31, 2009 Angelam rated it it was amazing
My favorite all time quilt book. No ducks with bonnets or Kountry Kitchen type quilts. Slightly wonky and totally doable.
Mindofwinter
Nov 11, 2010 Mindofwinter rated it really liked it
Shelves: quilting
Nice resource for quilting with some pretty projects. I'm making the hop, skip, & a jump quilt now.
Heather
Jan 12, 2009 Heather rated it it was ok
Shelves: crafts
Eh, there were only two or three things I would really like to make.
  • Last-Minute Patchwork + Quilted Gifts
  • Amy Butler's In Stitches: More Than 25 Simple and Stylish Sewing Projects
  • Lotta Jansdotter's Simple Sewing: Patterns and How-To for 24 Fresh and Easy Projects
  • The Practical Guide to Patchwork: New Basics for the Modern Quiltmaker: 12 Quilt Projects
  • Simple Sewing with a French Twist: An Illustrated Guide to Sewing Clothes and Home Accessories with Style
  • Dare to Be Square Quilting: A Block-by-Block Guide to Making Patchwork and Quilts
  • Sew U Home Stretch: The Built by Wendy Guide to Sewing Knit Fabrics
  • Bend-the-Rules Sewing: The Essential Guide to a Whole New Way to Sew
  • I Love Patchwork
  • Sew Liberated: 20 Stylish Projects for the Modern Sewist
  • The Modern Quilt Workshop: Patterns, Techniques, and Designs from the FunQuilts Studio
  • Weekend Sewing: More Than 40 Projects and Ideas for Inspired Stitching
  • Sew What! Bags: 18 Pattern-Free Projects You Can Customize to Fit Your Needs
  • Zakka Sewing: 25 Japanese Projects for the Household (Stc Craft)
  • Material Obsession: Modern Quilts with Traditional Roots