Start by marking “The Bacchae and Other Plays (Complete Euripides, Vol 4)” as Want to Read:
The Bacchae and Other Plays (Complete Euripides, Vol 4)

The Bacchae and Other Plays (Complete Euripides, Vol 4)

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  2,203 ratings  ·  34 reviews
Collected here for the first time in the series are three major plays by Euripides: Bacchae, translated by Reginald Gibbons and Charles Segal, a powerful examination of the horror and beauty of Dionysiac ecstasy; Herakles, translated by Tom Sleigh and Christian Wolff, a violent dramatization of the madness and exile of one of the most celebrated mythical figures; and The P ...more
Published February 1st 2009 by Oxford University Press, USA (first published -405)

To ask other readers questions about The Bacchae and Other Plays, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Bacchae and Other Plays

David
The Bacchae is one of the most disturbing plays in the ancient Greek genre. Euripides delves into the religiousity of the time with the " beware of spying on secret rites". The other three plays, Ion, The Women of Troy and Helen, are noble but not as good.
Wael Mahmoud
I wrote a review for each play here

Ion by Euripides The Trojan Women by Euripides Helen  by Euripides Bacchae by Euripides

Euripides not as good as Sophocles but he's better than Aeschylus.

I didn't like the translation, all other old Greek plays i've read were translated better than those ones.
John Pistelli
I wanted to read The Bacchae because I had a sense that it had something to do with Dostoevsky's Demons , which I recently finished. It did, in the sense that both works tell the story of a city visited by Dionysian frenzy. In Euripides's drama, the frenzy is Dionysus's revenge on the women of Thebes for insulting his mother by claiming that she lied when she said that Zeus was his father. The dramatic conflict centers on Pentheus, king of the city and grandson of its founder, who wants to suppr ...more
Kalen
Some of the stories were interesting, but the only one that was a real Greek tragedy was the Bacchae. The other stories were all happy ending types (well women of troy wasn't super happy). The Bacchae really helped me understand the wrath of the gods. It really showed how powerful they are. I think everyone should read the Bacchae but the other stories can be skipped.
Claudia
If you're a big nerd like me and love Greek and roman mythology. Then please read this!! It's a book detailing the life of Dionysus. I love his story. I read this for school and I enjoyed studying this a lot.

SIDE NOTE: for all my True Blood fans out there, you'll appreciate season 2 of the show if you know about Dionysus.
Peter Kolesnikov

Love the Bacchae! Any festival temporarily liberating and empowering women must have given the men in ancient Greece a serious case of the heebie jeebies. Euripides knew this and exploited it in this play. Beautifully done.
Curtis
I only read The Bacchae this time. The more Greek tragedy I read, the more I wonder if there is a Theban complex where people have bizzare relationships with their mothers. Guess I better take a trip!
Brandon Kendall
beware the dangers of denying the godhood of Dionysos!! god of wine and uncontrollable emotions..madness!
Karan Gupta
Euripides happened to me first in a bookshop in Kamla Nagar. I had just resumed reading then. I found his plays extremely poetic and interesting. My fascination for mythology was an ever-present factor of course. I had picked Bacche in the Delhi Book Fair long back. I picked it up recently, after I had become better acquainted with the Greek mythology.

The book consists of four plays : Iphigenia among the Taurians (IT), Bacchae, Iphigenia at Aulis (IA) and Rhesus. IA and IT talk about the house o
Mel
Bill bought me this book before we went and saw Alan Cumming in the play so I would be familiar with the story. At first I found it very strange. I don’t know much about ancient Greece, picking up references here and there. Years ago in high school I took a mythology class (which was mainly Greek and Roman) and attempted the Odyssey and the Iliad. I read the play before we saw it, and I think I enjoyed it more for knowing the story and being able to recognise certain lines of dialogue. It helped ...more
Pink
My edition contained 4 plays of Euripides - Ion, The Trojan Women, Helen and The Bacchae. I had mixed feelings about them and thought that each play went downhill, in the order that I read them above. Overall, still a fantastic worth while read.
Logan Dalton
Like all Greek plays, there is lots of exposition and Deus ex Machina. However, Euripides does an excellent job exploring the human condition in a chaotic and sometimes violent world. Some of his plays even have happy endings (Ion and Helen). Trojan Women is a powerful look at grief. Helen makes one of the most hated characters in fiction sympathetic and human. Ion shows the flipside of gods having affairs and human perceptions of them. Bacchae is the best of the bunch and explores the irrationa ...more
Maddy
What is more terrible - a world with vengeful gods, or a world without them?
Caroline
All of these plays are excellent and the translations really do them justice. If you ever read the Helen, go and read Aristophanes' Thesmophoriazusae (The Poet and the Women), it benefits from it hugely.
The Bacchae, however, is in a league of its own. If you never read any other of Euripides' plays, you must read the Bacchae.
Danielle Mathieson
The Bacchae

"O Dionysus, reveal yourself a bull! Be manifest, a snake with darting heads, a lion breathing fire!
O Bacchus, come! Come with your smile! Cast your noose about this man who hunts your Bacchae! Bring him down, trampled underfoot by the murderous herd of your Maenads!"
Coco
For a Greek tragedy, "The Bacchae" is pretty awesome. I enjoy the fact that both Pentheus and Agaue got what they deserved--Pentheus for being a jerk to Dionysus' face, and Agaue for defaming the name of her own sister, Semele, before the play begins. Bad news all around.
Eleni
I love Euripides. He's the most "modern" of the ancient playwrights and his characters are pretty powerful, scary at times and still relevant today. It's amazing how little human nature has changed over the millennia.
Cassandra Kay Silva
Interesting collection, I was really impressed and swooned by Achilles in one of these plays, he came across as a mega hero stud. I also thought the Bacchae itself was very playful. These were wonderful though tragic.
Rjones2818
The God teaches Thebes and its ruler, Pentheus, a lesson nobody will ever forget.

To my mind, the greatest play extant.

Go Dionysos!
Sagar Jethani
25 years later has made me root for Pentheus, even knowing the poor bastard is doomed for crossing that hippy, Dionysus.
JP
Dionysus punishes the Thebans for not honoring him by turning the women into Bacchae who then kill the only grandson of Cadmus.
Annemarie Donahue
Really great plays! Absolutely loved it. Glad I took the course, and had a brilliant teacher. Very lucky this semester.
P.W. James
Mehdiddimehmehmeh. It was good, but sometimes a grating read. A very good take on an alternative view of Troy.
marruman mc mahon
Women of Troy was amazing, but I struggled to keep reading the last two. Dionysus is a jerk in the Bacchae.
Kimberley
I hated this book, but I had to read it for school. Only for people interested in this sort of stuff
Talib Tirmizi
Euripides is a true compassionate humanist, and his plays are a reflection of that.
Thatsnarkychick
although I really liked the Wole Soyinka adaptation/translation.
Saul Dunning
How can you not give Euripides 5 stars ... Just wonderful !!!!
Melissa Jackson
"I mean to spoil you." God, this play is brutal.
Mariska
The Bacchae is brilliant enough said
  • Prometheus Bound and Other Plays
  • Lysistrata and Other Plays
  • The Pot of Gold and Other Plays
  • The Comedies
  • Four Tragedies and Octavia
  • Sophocles II: Ajax/Women of Trachis/Electra/Philoctetes (Complete Greek Tragedies 4)
  • Menander: The Plays and Fragments
  • The Misanthrope and Other Plays
  • An Oresteia
  • The Erotic Poems
  • On the Good Life
  • Greek Tragedies, Vol. 1: Aeschylus: Agamemnon, Prometheus Bound; Sophocles: Oedipus the King, Antigone; Euripides: Hippolytus
  • Homeric Hymns
  • The Satyricon and The Apocolocyntosis
  • Theogony (Classical Library)
  • The Eclogues: Dual Language Edition
(Greek: Ευριπίδης )
Euripides (Ancient Greek: Εὐριπίδης) (ca. 480 BC–406 BC) was the last of the three great tragedians of classical Athens (the other two being Aeschylus and Sophocles). Ancient scholars thought that Euripides had written ninety-five plays, although four of those were probably written by Critias. Eighteen of Euripides' plays have survived complete. It is now widely believed that wh
More about Euripides...
Medea Medea and Other Plays Bacchae Euripides 1: Alcestis/The Medea/The Heracleidae/Hippolytus The Trojan Women