Start by marking “Chopin's Funeral” as Want to Read:
Chopin's Funeral

Chopin's Funeral

3.62 of 5 stars 3.62  ·  rating details  ·  145 ratings  ·  24 reviews
Frédéric Chopin’s reputation as one of the Great Romantics endures, but as Benita Eisler reveals in her elegant and elegiac biography, the man was more complicated than his iconic image.

A classicist, conservative, and dandy who relished his conquest of Parisian society, the Polish émigré was for a while blessed with genius, acclaim, and the love of Europe’s most infamous w
Published June 8th 2004 by Vintage (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Chopin's Funeral, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chopin's Funeral

Janina
Amazing, amazing, AMAZING book! I normally am bored-to-tears with biographies, but the way Benita Eisler writes the life of Chopin, it is so gripping - I can't wait to turn the page to see what happens next! (Ok, so maybe adding to my fascination with the book is my obsession with Chopin :P But it's still an AMAZINGLY well-written and interesting read for anyone. I think I'm going to buy the book so I can read it all over again!)
Aurelius
I read this book before seeing Yundi Li perform Chopin at Carnegie Hall. It was a sold out show, with the exception of a single empty seat a few rows in front of me. It was easy to imagine Chopin betrayed, by someone who should have been there but never showed up.
Mauro Thesaucyman
Well, I got banned from my local library cause I turned it in really late.
But this book was indeed vurry sexy.
Lyn nep
Interesting! I knew nothing about Frederic Chopin's life until we visited the charming town of Soller on Majorca last spring. This biography, written almost like an elegy, filled in the blanks of a sad love affair. I'll listen to his music differently now.
Vygodski
I learnt a lot of things I didn't know from this book but I found that it didn't fulfil the curiosity it piqued.
Morgan Blayney
It's more like 3.5 stars.
I certainly learned a lot about Chopin and his life in this book, which is what biographies are for, I suppose. I just wish it was a little more engaging. It was easy to get distracted from reading after coming across name after name of people whose only description was that they were somehow related to another person that I didn't recognize.
However, when I could concentrate on reading I really enjoyed seeing how Chopin's works so clearly mirrored the struggles in hi
Min
Oct 27, 2009 Min added it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: music
I went back and re-read this book. Chopin is forever my favorite composer. One just can't imagin how one was physically frail, fragile and shy, yet produced such emotional depth music which typifies the Romanticism Music. His exact physical opposite, Lizt, who was more virtuoso and love to be on stage. For chopin, he went on stage so people can hear his music; while Lizt was to show how billiant he was and audiance adored him.
Lisa
This book is a great review of Chopin's life, which doesn't dive to deeply (ala it's only 200 pages--not a monster of a book). Only problem is that it jumps around a bit. Call me traditional, but I like a biography to go in chronological order. (Hence only 3 stars here.) However, with that said, you'll get a good overview on Chopin's life here. It's a lovely read as far as biographies go.
Dima the Driven
I thought it was an excellent book. I have always loved Chopin and it made me have a greater of the understanding of how many of those dark nightmarish passagea and those feelings of elation within hks music came about. A truly incredible but tragic figure is Chopin. I would say you should read this book and know the life of one of the greatest musical talents of all time.

ChristaAnne
An excellent biography of Chopin's life. Though his music was beautiful, his life was anything but! The book chronicles his relationship with George Sand and discusses Chopin's frail health. It also gives quite a bit of information on Sand and her relationship with her children. I'm certainly glad she wasn't my mother! All in all an engaging biography.
Pascale
A thoroughly readable account of Chopin's life. This is the kind of biography I like: not endlessly detailed but to the point, with a sympathetic but not fawning attitude towards its subject. Eisler's account of the odd relationship between Chopin and George Sand is as convincing as any, given Sand's gift for obfuscation.
Peter
A biography on Chopin and his lover George Sand, the author. Told more like a story than a biography. Lots of French names to keep organized, but good if you are interested in knowing more about the composer who defined the Romantic Period of Music .
Kate
This was a little fluffy for my taste. I wanted more information about his childhood, and more information about the politics of the time. But it was interesting to learn about 19th-century France, and social life in Paris in particular.
Pumpernickel
I really do not know why she decided to write about Chopin, if she hates him so passionately... I even ordered his letters, in order to see if there was something in them that could justify so much hatred or depising...
Mark w
Jun 28, 2007 Mark w rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: music people
a chopin biography. also an in-the-bookstore read. easy to read and informative. i learned a lot about my favorite composer... like that he very well could have owned his times equivalent to the organ masters.
Diane Beck
Great book. First of all, I love Chopin's music. Secondly, the story of his life is fascinating and the book brought me to a different time & world.
Laurie
Very good biography of Fredric Chopin. I learned a lot about his life and musical career. Easy to read and interesting.
Jill Edmondson
Terrific! A great bio, very well written. I learned lots of history, plus much about art, music, literature.
Steven
Although it was a good read filled with interesting details, it is more about Chopin's life than his death.
Izabel
falem o q quiserem, eu amo chopin e pra mim ele esta entre os melhores compositores de todos os tempos.
Anna
An interesting and informative book about the life of Chopin and those connected to him.
Analisa
This book made me very sad. Reminds me of the lives of current Hollywood stars.
Lynette
Great biographical study of my favorite pianist and composer!
Adri
Excellent!
ruth
ruth marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2014
Lucy M.
Lucy M. marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2014
Beth
Beth marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2014
  • Franz Liszt: The Virtuoso Years, 1811-1847
  • Note by Note: A Celebration of the Piano Lesson
  • Experimental Music: Cage and Beyond
  • Johann Sebastian Bach: The Learned Musician
  • Medal of Honor: Profiles of America's Military Heroes from the Civil War to the Present
  • The Story of Music
  • On Celestial Music: And Other Adventures in Listening
  • This Land Was Made for You and Me: The Life and  Songs of Woody Guthrie
  • U2 Show
  • Wrath of the Khans
  • No Applause--Just Throw Money: The Book That Made Vaudeville Famous
  • My Life in Court
Byron: Child of Passion, Fool of Fame O'Keefe and Stieglitz: An Amerian Roman The Lowell Offering: Writings by New England Mill Women (1840-1945) Naked in the Marketplace: The Lives of George Sand The Red Man's Bones: George Catlin, Artist and Showman