McSweeney's #14

McSweeney's #14 (McSweeney's Quarterly Concern #14)

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  277 ratings  ·  21 reviews
Joshuah Bearman leads a daring investigation into the enigmatic Great Gerbil of central Asia, uncovering signs of an impending disaster. The issue also includes strange and wonderful stories from T.C. Boyle, Susan Straight, Jim Shepard, Wells Tower, and others.
Published September 27th 2004 by McSweeney's

Alexandra
Chris Adrian's "A Child's Book of Sickness Death" revolutionized the way I think about writing, especially in terms of characterization. I can almost recite it by heart. Mr. Adrian's notions of sin and consequence (not especially apparent in this particular story) are what keep my stomach churning in the most crucial ways. I only wish he'd have kept true to the Cindy Flemm he presents in this story instead of turning her into a wishy washy slut in The Children's Hospital.

The Woman Who Sold Commu...more
Nate D
How fitting to begin a collection whose cover is graced by a deeply regretful, war-wounded Commander in Chief on the exact day that we actively exorcise him from office. "Did you vote?" asked the elderly women with the poodle on the street. "Did you vote?" inquired the homeless man whom imitates the automated voices on the subway. "Did You Vote?" the maintenance man inquired into his phone in the white hospital corridor. Did. You. Vote?

...

Is Chris Adrian one of our most promising new fiction aut...more
Kirsten

Overall, I like the format of these, so I like them a lot more than three stars. I'm basing the rating, though, on the number of stories I really liked out of the total number of stories or so.

A Child's Book of Sickness and Death - Chris Adrian
The Woman Who Sold Communion - Kate Braverman
Civilization by Ryan Boudenot
Dennis Johnson - The Soul of a Whore Act III (not because I read the entire play, but because his dialog just makes me really happy)
Jen
McSweeney's is so good at finding unusual stories from both established writers and people who have never been published before. A few of my favorites were "A Child's Book of Sickness and Death" by Chris Adrian, "The Doubtfulness of Water" by T.C. Boyle, and "Pigs in Space" by Claire Light. Thanks to my brother Gabe for giving me four McSweeney's volumes for Christmas.
Paul McCann
Much better than 18. Story about possible gerbil invasion not as interesting as might be thought. "Pigs in Space" not as interesting as it sounds; "The Death of Mustango Salvaje" tops the list, concerns bullfighting; "A Child's Book of Sickness and Death" is as painful to read as it sounds but surprisingly engaging.
Kristin
a few really good short stories in this one, both remind me of stephanie (yes, you!): "civilization" by ryan boudinot detailed a futuristic "retirement" plan and"the woman who sold communion" by kate braverman included peyote, nervous breakdown road trips, and mothers who don't believe in being motherly.
Corinna
my favorite short story in this collection has to be the first one, "A Child's Book of Sickness and Death," by Chris Adrian. Skip "Hadrian's Wall." So far, I'm at Lawrence Weschler's essay on a thumb sculpture. So, I guess I'm halfway through. The letters section in this one is really good, too.
Clark
My least favorite McSweeney's. I expect any issue to have hits and misses, but this one felt like almost exclusively misses. "Hadrian's Wall", "How It Floods", and Weschler's Convergences were about the only saving graces of this issues for me.
Karen
Favs:
A Child's Book of Sickness and Death - Chris Adrian
The Woman Who Sold Communion - Kate Braverman
Pia Z. Ehrhardt – How It Floods
T.C. Boyle - The Doubtfulness of Water
Silvia DiPierdomenico – That Which I Am
Susan Straight – What It Ain’t
Like most of these McSweeney's (or, really, compilations in general) the majority of the stories were pretty good. There were a few that I couldn't get past the first page or two and a few that were absolutely perfect.
Mike
Several really great stories in here (Chris Adrian, Silvia DiPierdomenico, Chris Bachelder) but none of them from the authors I'd expect (Jim Sheppard, Wells Tower, TC Boyle).
Jon
children dying in hospital wards, women getting abused on front lawns, a son has to kill his parents by order of the government and a long article about giant gerbils.

loved it.
Jennie Mclaren
Full of short stories and essays. There's a lot of variety in there -- both in terms of topics and writing style. Some I really enjoyed, others were more 'meh'.
Joel Neff
May 30, 2008 Joel Neff rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fans of Modern Lit
Eclectic and exciting collection of short stories. Not all are perfect, but all are superbly readable. Stand out for me was "Pigs in Space".
Andrea  Fuentes
Reading this has made me realize that writing a short story might be a million times more difficult than writing a novel. I'm just saying.
Heather
Hadrian's Wall
An Investigation Into...
The Animal Kingdom
That Which I am
Soul of a Whore (all of them, not just this 3rd Act)
Arjen
top notch as always.

I especially liked the story by Kate Braverman ¨The woman who sold communion¨.
Jessica
Half of the stories I liked and half I didn't. This book also exposed me to some new authors.
Emma
Feb 06, 2009 Emma is currently reading it
on my way through the collection again...
Jessica
Be sure to read the gerbil essay!
Jeanette Levy
Gregory M Perkins
Gregory M Perkins marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2014
Michael
Michael marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2014
Mike
Mike added it
Jun 16, 2014
  • McSweeney's #13
  • McSweeney's #10
  • The Future Dictionary of America
  • Noisy outlaws, unfriendly blobs, and some other things that aren't as scary, maybe, depending on how you feel about lost lands, stray cellphones, creatures from the sky, parents who disappear in Peru, a man named Lars Farf, and one other story [...]
  • I.
  • The Neal Pollack Anthology of American Literature: The Collected Writings of Neal Pollack
  • English as She Is Spoke: Being a Comprehensive Phrasebook of the English Language, Written by Men to Whom English was Entirely Unknown
  • This Shape We're In
  • The Norton Anthology of Short Fiction
  • Demonology: Stories
  • The Believer Book of Writers Talking to Writers
  • How to Dress for Every Occasion by the Pope
Dave Eggers is the author of seven previous books, including his most recent, The Circle, a captivating story of one woman’s ambition and idealism that soon becomes a heart-racing novel of suspense, raising questions about memory, history, privacy, democracy, and the limits of human knowledge.

Eggers is the founder and editor of McSweeney's, an independent publishing house based in San Francisco th...more
More about Dave Eggers...
A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius What is the What Zeitoun The Circle You Shall Know Our Velocity!