Start by marking “They Went That-A-Way: How the Famous, the Infamous, and the Great Died” as Want to Read:
They Went That-A-Way:  How the Famous, the Infamous, and the Great Died

They Went That-A-Way: How the Famous, the Infamous, and the Great Died

Non-Fiction, History, Short Stories
Published October 14th 1989 by Ballantine Books (first published 1988)

Nick Argiriou
May 25, 2017 Nick Argiriou rated it liked it
Shelves: biography
Πως άφησαν αυτή τη ζωή καμιά 150 γνωστά (ή λιγότερο γνωστά, αλλά ενδιαφέροντα) άτομα της παγκόσμιας ιστορίας. Μικρές βιογραφιούλες των 2-3 σελίδων περίπου και τα γενικά συμπεράσματα για τον θάνατο είναι, ότι....δεν έχει λογική! Άλλοι θάνατοι και ο τρόπος τους ήταν αναμενόμενοι (πχ αυτοί που έπιναν ή που έκαναν γενικότερα επικίνδυνη ζωή), άλλοι ήρθαν στο άσχετο και από εκεί που δεν το περιμένεις. Όπως όλα τα πράγματα καλό είναι να μην παραλογίζεσαι, αλλά να κάνεις τα βασικά για να προστατευθείς. ...more
M. D.  Hudson
Mar 02, 2009 M. D. Hudson rated it liked it
Kind of trashy, really, and I couldn't put it down. A person-by-person acccount about how various famous people died. Attila the Hun, Buddy Holly, etc. You'll finish it in an hour or so and won't regret it.
Daniel Currie
May 05, 2011 Daniel Currie rated it liked it
If you want to read this based on the title, you should skip it. It does have some things that make it worth reading tho.

The book is more short (1-2 pages) biographical sketches of famous peole with how they died thrown in there. In some cases it doesn't say how they died even, because no one knows.

But as a sort of Wikipedia-type biography of lots of disparate people, it sorta works. They are arranged alphabetically so you jump around wildly in that regard, but that makes it somewhat refreshing.
Lesley Looper
Feb 28, 2011 Lesley Looper rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, 2011
This is the sort of book I'm glad I read, but I'm glad I'm done. Many of the stories were interesting, but many were sad, even tragic endings to [famous] lives. I wonder how the causes of death in this book compare to the population at large (adjusted for time and geography).
John
Dec 24, 2012 John rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, nonfiction, bio
I had no in intention of reading this after I found out what it was about , but after 10 pages, I could not put it down. The mini bios were good and the death details were very good, Not the least bit morbid. all very interesting. learned a lot.
Pamela(AllHoney)
Do you believe in Karma? Well, this book proves that karma does exist for some people. Stories about how some famous people lived and died. Interesting!
Thomas
May 28, 2015 Thomas rated it really liked it
A nice refresher course in history. I found it interesting.
Brian Sammons
May 31, 2012 Brian Sammons rated it liked it
An interesting, if morbid, collection of how some famous people died. That's about it, but since I like learning about such things, I dug this book.
lmc
Aug 09, 2008 lmc rated it it was amazing
Hard to put down - formatting made it a quick read.
Jason Poe
Apr 10, 2013 Jason Poe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: commentaries
Too short, and sometimes I came across one bio if someone that I knew had multiple rumors about their death, and the author did not cover some of them well. Good bathroom reader though.
Sue
Aug 25, 2012 Sue rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it! Out of print? Well, the library had it.
Brett Bydairk
Jul 22, 2014 Brett Bydairk rated it liked it
Shelves: history, biography
Short accounts of how some famous people died. Glosses over some details, but interesting and diverting.
Liana Robichaux
Apr 09, 2013 Liana Robichaux rated it liked it
Interesting
Kaitlynn Scribner
Jun 06, 2015 Kaitlynn Scribner rated it it was amazing
This book is fantastic. My morbid 10 year old self read it every day for years, and i just re-read as an adult and it still has the same pull!
Candice
Sep 28, 2007 Candice rated it really liked it
It was hard to put down. Who knew death could be so interesting?
Chrisanne
Jan 05, 2015 Chrisanne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Morbid but gripping. I didn't care about some(Janis Joplin, Jimi Hendrix, all those airplane crashes!) but others were enlightening- I never could keep the Rockefellers straight before now.
Kaethe
Jul 14, 2014 Kaethe rated it really liked it
Hee hee hee. I take comfort in knowing many other people are interested in the deaths of famous people.
Milissa Schmantowsky
Apr 29, 2009 Milissa Schmantowsky rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2009
OK,OK it was a little morbid. But I saw it on the shelf and well I...have no excuse!
Michael Ibarra
Jan 08, 2016 Michael Ibarra rated it liked it
Fairly morbid, but a quick, interesting number of life summaries and (some bizarre) endings of hundreds of different people, from before Christ to the mid-1980s.
Barbara
Mar 11, 2010 Barbara rated it it was amazing
This book is out of print, but if you can find it don't hesitate to buy it. It's full of morbid trivia & we always break it out between courses at dinner parties. A real treat.
C.
Apr 29, 2015 C. rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not bad and a very quick read. Interesting.
Hazel Dehn
Hazel Dehn rated it it was amazing
Apr 02, 2009
Sheila
Sheila rated it really liked it
Jul 04, 2015
William Albright
William Albright rated it really liked it
Jan 05, 2013
Jon
Jon rated it it was amazing
May 11, 2010
Timothy
Timothy rated it liked it
Mar 31, 2009
Michael Oaks
Michael Oaks rated it liked it
Aug 31, 2007
Mandy
May 20, 2008 Mandy added it
it's a good bathroom read!
also good for reference!
Wild-Rogue-Rose
Wild-Rogue-Rose rated it really liked it
Apr 08, 2015
Burcu
Burcu rated it it was ok
Aug 12, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • This Will Kill You: A Guide to the Ways in Which We Go
  • Famous Last Words, Fond Farewells, Deathbed Diatribes, and Exclamations Upon Expiration
  • Uncle John's Bathroom Reader Plunges into History Again
  • After the Funeral: The Posthumous Adventures of Famous Corpses
  • The Last Days of Dead Celebrities
  • The Whole Death Catalog: A Lively Guide to the Bitter End
  • The Big Book of Death
  • Mental Floss: Cocktail Party Cheat Sheets
  • Funerals to Die For: The Craziest, Creepiest, and Most Bizarre Funeral Traditions and Practices Ever
  • Panati's Extraordinary Endings of Practically Everything and Everybody
  • The Executioner Always Chops Twice: Ghastly Blunders on the Scaffold
  • Duh!: The Stupid History of the Human Race
  • Saints Behaving Badly: The Cutthroats, Crooks, Trollops, Con Men, and Devil-Worshippers Who Became Saints
  • Heavens to Betsy!: And Other Curious Sayings