Start by marking “They Went That-A-Way: How the Famous, the Infamous, and the Great Died” as Want to Read:
They Went That-A-Way:  How the Famous, the Infamous, and the Great Died

They Went That-A-Way: How the Famous, the Infamous, and the Great Died

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  116 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Non-Fiction, History, Short Stories
Published October 14th 1989 by Ballantine Books (first published 1988)

Stiff by Mary RoachHamlet by William ShakespeareThe Lovely Bones by Alice SeboldThe Five People You Meet in Heaven by Mitch AlbomThe Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath
Thanatopsis: Death, Dying, and Mortality
86th out of 222 books — 107 voters
Uppity Women of Medieval Times by Vicki LeónA Treasury of Foolishly Forgotten Americans by Michael FarquharUppity Women of the Renaissance by Vicki LeónThe Decline and Fall of Practically Everybody by Will CuppyDoomed Queens by Kris Waldherr
Biographical Sketches
38th out of 58 books — 20 voters

More lists with this book...

M. D.  Hudson
Kind of trashy, really, and I couldn't put it down. A person-by-person acccount about how various famous people died. Attila the Hun, Buddy Holly, etc. You'll finish it in an hour or so and won't regret it.
Kaethe
Hee hee hee. I take comfort in knowing many other people are interested in the deaths of famous people.
Brett Bydairk
Short accounts of how some famous people died. Glosses over some details, but interesting and diverting.
Daniel Currie
If you want to read this based on the title, you should skip it. It does have some things that make it worth reading tho.

The book is more short (1-2 pages) biographical sketches of famous peole with how they died thrown in there. In some cases it doesn't say how they died even, because no one knows.

But as a sort of Wikipedia-type biography of lots of disparate people, it sorta works. They are arranged alphabetically so you jump around wildly in that regard, but that makes it somewhat refreshing....more
Lesley
This is the sort of book I'm glad I read, but I'm glad I'm done. Many of the stories were interesting, but many were sad, even tragic endings to [famous] lives. I wonder how the causes of death in this book compare to the population at large (adjusted for time and geography).
John
I had no in intention of reading this after I found out what it was about , but after 10 pages, I could not put it down. The mini bios were good and the death details were very good, Not the least bit morbid. all very interesting. learned a lot.
Jason Poe
Too short, and sometimes I came across one bio if someone that I knew had multiple rumors about their death, and the author did not cover some of them well. Good bathroom reader though.
Barbara
This book is out of print, but if you can find it don't hesitate to buy it. It's full of morbid trivia & we always break it out between courses at dinner parties. A real treat.
Pamela(AllHoney)
Do you believe in Karma? Well, this book proves that karma does exist for some people. Stories about how some famous people lived and died. Interesting!
Brian Sammons
An interesting, if morbid, collection of how some famous people died. That's about it, but since I like learning about such things, I dug this book.
Milissa Schmantowsky
OK,OK it was a little morbid. But I saw it on the shelf and well I...have no excuse!
Candice
It was hard to put down. Who knew death could be so interesting?
lmc
Hard to put down - formatting made it a quick read.
Mandy
May 20, 2008 Mandy added it
it's a good bathroom read!
also good for reference!
Sue
Loved it! Out of print? Well, the library had it.
Sharon Mawet
Sharon Mawet marked it as to-read
Oct 11, 2014
Srhelsel609
Srhelsel609 marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2014
Erin
Erin added it
Jul 04, 2014
Brandy
Brandy marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2014
Jennelle Henderson
Jennelle Henderson marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
What Happened to Their Kids?: Children of the Rich and Famous Women Who Made a Difference The Sayings of Chairman Malcolm Thoughts on the Business of Life The Further Sayings of Chairman Malcolm