Start by marking “Lord Tony's Wife” as Want to Read:
Lord Tony's Wife

Lord Tony's Wife (The Scarlet Pimpernel #5)

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  225 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Lord Antony Dewhurst is 'a splendid fellow - a fine sportsman, a loyal gentleman'. The young gallant is also Percy's close friend and a lieutenant in the League. The year is 1793 and in Nantes, France, the hunting of aristocrats goes on. And over in England, the enemy has kidnapped Lord Tony's wife, Yvonne. It falls to the Scarlet Pimpernel to rescue her­
Published July 30th 2001 by House of Stratus (first published 1917)

To ask other readers questions about Lord Tony's Wife, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lord Tony's Wife

Krysta
Lord Tony’s Wife provides offers nothing new in the Scarlet Pimpernel series. By this point, readers know the way the Scarlet Pimpernel operates and can probably predict the events that will lead to a successful rescue. The lack of innovation disappointed me as many books follow this one, and I fear they will soon grow old if Orczy does not change her formula. Despite the predictability, however, I enjoyed the story both because it is, after all, about the Scarlet Pimpernel, and because it gives ...more
Perry Whitford
"It all came about through the death of a pair of pigeons," he said.

Such was the tinderbox atmosphere of France in 1789 as the prologue traces, at breakneck speed, a pre-revolutionary flickering of dissent in rural Nantes and the injustice that follows it, where an innocent father is hanged in place of his rebellious son, who whipped up the frenzy of a mob then disappeared in the resultant carnage.

The son, Pierre Adet, plots an unusually humiliating revenge against the merciless aristocrat M. l
Amy
I have been looking forward to reading this particular Scarlet Pimpernel book for some time. Lord Tony’s Wife, for heaven’s sake its very title is exciting! Lord Anthony Dewhurst is one of my favorite characters and any adventure that involves his youthful excitement is worth it.
Plot
At the beginning of the revolution, a young man named Pierre Adet leads a mob against his lord, the Duc de Kernogan in Nantes. His plan fails and he is forced to flee, but the Duc, determined to have justice, hang
Alisha
It's been so long since I've read a Scarlet Pimpernel book that I can't remember if they're all like this, but there was way too much time spent on the plottings of the bad guys and not enough time with Sir Percy!!
Daniel
An excellent followup in the Scarlet Pimpernel series, bringing in favorite characters from the original, plenty of adventure and escapades.
Linda Jacobs
The Scarlet Pimpernel uses disguises to rescue the kidnapped wife of his friend in France during the reign of terror.
Judy Ann
Absolutely amazing! The rescue for Yvonne Dewhurst was quite unexpected. It thrilled and amazed me ho daring the plot for the rescue was, still am puzzled though, whether or not Sir Percy dropping "important" files was deliberate or not. It was absolutely addicting, I couldn't put the book down until I've finished reading it, but even then I just had to reread the whole story! :) Definitely, absolutely a must read!
Doris
Somewhat entertaining. Orczy uses the same words and phrases over and over and the sensibility of Yvonne was a bit much to handle. The Scarlet Pimpernel was very much a background character in this one. I haven't read and of the others with him in it yet, other than The Scarlet Pimpernel, so I'm not sure if this is uncommon or not. Pretty forgettable on the whole.
Suvi
I have no idea why I finished this book. It's honestly very bad. The previous sequels were at least readable, but I'd seriously recommend skipping this one.

My main impression after finishing the book was something a lot like "peeling wallpaper and peasants are evil". And that was it.
Tara
This is my least favourite of the Pimpernel books. It was so slow and there wasn't much of a payoff in the end. I thought this book was too predictable, maybe it's because I've read five of them now. It had potential but didn't come to anything. Not one I'd recommend.
Lynne Stringer
I enjoyed this novel, although it was quite as much of a favourite as some of the others. It was nice to see Lord Tony get a girl and it was certainly entertaining. Although the ending, as I find with some of Orczy's novels, seems a bit beyond belief.
Ailish
Insipid sequel to The Scarlet Pimpernel, with a superficial plot in which the Scarlet Pimpernel hardly appears.
Eugenides
Not my favorite in the series by any means, but anything with Percy in it is worth reading!
Margareth8537
Percy's close friends are just as appealing as he is, so nice to see a book about them
Kailey
This is one of my favorite of the Scarlet Pimpernel series!
Kim Holinbeck
Kim Holinbeck marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2014
Trisha K.
Trisha K. marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2014
Debbie Fortin
Debbie Fortin marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2014
Maria Spencer
Maria Spencer marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2014
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2014
Simple
Simple marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2014
Farseer
Farseer marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2014
Colleen
Colleen marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2014
Phyllis
Phyllis marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2014
Jenn M
Jenn M marked it as to-read
Oct 31, 2014
  • The Sea-Hawk
  • Rebel's Keep (Crown and Covenant, #3)
  • The Boy Colonel: A Soldier Without a Name
  • Men of Iron
  • Wulf the Saxon: A Story of the Norman Conquest
  • The Captain from Connecticut
  • In Search of Honor
  • A Father's Promise
  • The Talisman
  • The Guardship (Thomas Marlowe, #1)
  • The Winning of Barbara Worth
  • Pearl-Maiden: A Tale of the Fall of Jerusalem
Full name: Emma ("Emmuska") Magdolna Rozália Mária Jozefa Borbála Orczy de Orczi was a Hungarian-British novelist, best remembered as the author of THE SCARLET PIMPERNEL (1905). Baroness Orczy's sequels to the novel were less successful. She was also an artist, and her works were exhibited at the Royal Academy, London. Her first venture into fiction was with crime stories. Among her most popular c ...more
More about Emmuska Orczy...
The Scarlet Pimpernel The Elusive Pimpernel  El Dorado: Further Adventures of the Scarlet Pimpernel The League Of The Scarlet Pimpernel The Adventures of the Scarlet Pimpernel