Start by marking “The News of the World” as Want to Read:
The News of the World

The News of the World

4.41 of 5 stars 4.41  ·  rating details  ·  80 ratings  ·  9 reviews
In this funny, touching collection of stories, the characters are regular, everyday types who love their families and lead honest lives. And it is just this ordinariness that makes them special.

In The H Street Sledding Record, a man throws horse manure on his roof every Christmas Eve to keep the myth of Santa alive. Bigfoot Stole My Wife is the claim of another man whose w

Published May 3rd 1988 by Penguin Books (first published 1987)

To ask other readers questions about The News of the World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The News of the World

Kristyn
Strong characterisation is one of the pillars of excellent storytelling, and in Ron Carlson’s The News of the World, it is obvious that care has been taken to craft characters that will remain memorable to the reader. Published in 1987, The News of the World is a compilation of many of Ron Carlson’s short stories, many of which are intended to be a reflection of the Eighties period.

From the mundane to the bizarre, each story shares something in common -- a fabulous sense of character. The storie
Brett Starr
The Time I Died.....

"The News of the World" - stories by Ron Carlson is a great collection. The first book of short stories that Ron wrote in 1987.

I've recently read all of Carlson's short story collections, except for his newest one "At the Jim Bridger", which I'm eagerly waiting to crack open.

Short stories seem to be either loved or hated by most readers, I happen to love them. If your looking for short stories that are oustanding and superbly written, look no further then anything by Ron C
Kate
I thoroughly enjoyed reading Ron Carlson’s collection of short stories in “News of the World.” The themes of Carlson’s stories focus on marriage, family, or a combination of both. In each story, the protagonist is dealing with an issue in his personal life that corresponds to a specific task he is trying to complete. The two plots are then woven together and resolved around the same time. Every story I read in his anthology had a plot that truly consisted of two stories; what the protagonist is ...more
This is such a wonderful collection of stories. Whether Carlson's characters are doing odd things (throwing manure onto their roof, claiming Bigfoot stole their wife, nailing garlic to their house) or simply dealing with everyday issues (becoming tired of a boring life, struggling with their children growing up), their voices are always strong and believable, so you find yourself nodding in understanding. Many of Carlson's stories are also quite funny -- I often found myself laughing out loud.
Sean
Ron Carlson is one of the only authors I know who isn't scared to write a happy short story. This collection seems, like others of his (for me at least), to lag a bit in the middle. But all-in-all, it's wonderful!

Stand-outs: "Milk," "Half-Life,"and "the Governor's Ball" were my favorites, but many of the others are great as well.
Tim Storm
Carlson creates some really endearing characters. These are mostly happy stories. His best are those that have a somewhat tilted world. Phenomena was my favorite, but the two Bigfoot stories were fun; The Governor's Ball, Half Life, and Madame Zelena Finally Comes Clean were also great.
Dayva
A beautiful ecclectic collection of Mr. Carlsons' short stories. One that stayed with me for years was about a psychic woman and her demise due to an encounter with a whale.His work is haunting and inspiring.It is great fiction for the everyday, middleclass soul.
Jana
Jun 09, 2008 Jana rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Jana by: Utah Holiday Magazine
Shelves: re-read
This contains (among other great stories)The H Street Sledding Record, which is one of our all-teim favorite short stories. It's a Christmas story with humor, romance...and characters so real you swear you know them.
Jen Ozburn
It made me nostalgic for 1980s Salt Lake City I never knew.
Michael Silver
Michael Silver marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2015
Emily Grossenbacher Pote
Emily Grossenbacher Pote marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2015
Daniel DiStefano
Daniel DiStefano marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2015
Michelle W.
Michelle W. marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2015
Andrew
Andrew marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2014
Felicia
Felicia marked it as to-read
Dec 22, 2014
Cara
Cara marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2014
Annur Amin
Annur Amin marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2014
Jana
Jana marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2014
Steven Chang
Steven Chang marked it as to-read
Dec 05, 2014
Basilyarnelf
Basilyarnelf marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2014
Nerak
Nerak marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2014
Tracy
Tracy marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Ron Carlson is an American novelist and writer of short stories.

Carlson was born in Logan, Utah, but grew up in Salt Lake City. He earned a masters degree in English from the University of Utah. He then taught at The Hotchkiss School in Connecticut where he started his first novel.

He became a professor of English at Arizona State University in 1985, teaching creative writing to undergraduates and
More about Ron Carlson...
Five Skies Ron Carlson Writes a Story The Signal A Kind of Flying: Selected Stories Return to Oakpine