Start by marking “By Hook or By Book (Megan Clark, #2)” as Want to Read:
By Hook or By Book (Megan Clark, #2)

By Hook or By Book (Megan Clark #2)

3.41 of 5 stars 3.41  ·  rating details  ·  116 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Reference librarian Megan Clark persuades the Murder by the Yard book group to accompany her to do research on string figures. But when a valuable, unpublished manuscript about the hobby disappears--and its owner is found dead--the group gets strung along by a killer.
Published May 1st 2000 by Berkley

To ask other readers questions about By Hook or By Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about By Hook or By Book

Trish
Megan Clark returns in this second book in the Mystery Reading Group series. This volume is also well written, although I was more than a little distracted by the instructions on how to make string tricks at the beginning of many of the chapters. In fact, it quite surprised me that such a thing would be in enough demand to warrant a sort of convention, but hey cozies are all about the set-up. Enjoyable mystery and I did not figure out "whodunnit" on this one.

Will continue to read in this series
Susan
By Hook or by Book by D.R. Meredith is the second book in the Megan Clark mystery series, set in the contemporary Texas Panhandle. In the first book of the series, Megan Clark established a mystery reading group, Murder by the Yard. In this second book, Megan is in charge of a String Figure conference. Each chapter starts with detailed instructions to create a string figure.

Famous to all in String Figure fandom is Caroline Furness Jayne and her seminal work, String Figures and How to Make Them.
Hattie
Murder By The Yard Book Store is giving a convention. Although Agnes is the owner of the book store, Megan will head the convention about string figures. She has invited Dr. Brownleigh. He owns the famous, authentic manuscript of Caroline Furness Jayne. Ms. Jayne was an expert about string figures from different cultures. However, all of Megan's plans will go awry when murder or murders enter the door of Murder By The Yard Book Store.

I did not know until this mystery how important string figures
Karen Spignese
This is the 2nd book in D.R. Meredith's mystery series featuring Megan Clark & the Murder by the Yard book group. I absolutely love this series & already have the 3rd & 4th books in the series waiting to be started. It's a cozy mystery series, but doesn't have the cuteness & fluff that ruin a lot of cozies. This book revolves around a string figure convention. Remember the Cat's Cradle game you played with a length of string as a child? Well, I was amazed to learn there are so ma ...more
Andi O'Connor
This was a great murder mystery and the first book I've read by D. R. Meredith. I was not aware that it was the 2nd in a series when I began reading, but it was still enjoyable on its own. I love the characters, especially Megan, and Meredith did an excellent job of keeping the suspense right up to the end. I did have my guess about the murderer, but it was written in such a way that I wasn't sure until the very end when it was revealed. The one thing I think distracted from the story was the st ...more
Prudence
This murder mystery centers around the cultural significance of the construction of string figures (i.e. Cat's Cradle, etc.), with the focus on the author Caroline Furness Jayne (String Figures and How to Make Them), which sounded rather familiar to me. Lo' and behold, we have the book in our elementary library! It is a little difficult for elementary students but pretty cool that I actually have the book at school.
Jimgeier
Pretty good characters, development is slow at the start and into the middle, and too much is revealed at the very end. It did keep me reading, but the build-up to the ending was far too slow.
Helen Newton
Disappointing start, after the first book in the series, though it did improve in the second half. I felt the theme, string figures (cat's cradle) to be too obscure.
Dwight
This mystery novel added an extra twist of including directions for making string figures to the beginning of some of the chapters, which is fitting because the whole plot is focused on Caroline Furness Jayne's book String Figures and How to Make Them A Study of Cat's-Cradle in Many Lands.
Maria (Ri)
This second book of the series was less interesting for me than the first. It seemed so implausible. Are there really so many fervent string figure enthusiasts? And why did the Mystery club members jump on board to this strange hobby so quickly and passionately? Anyhow, I had my hunches about the murderer about halfway through, but wasn't 100% so I kept reading. This is definitely not my favorite in the series. I hope this is just a sophomore slump and the future books are better - I've already ...more
Pat

Second in the series and good enough to move me on to #3.
Julie
I enjoyed the information about string figures in this book. I need to make myself a 6 foot loop and try some before I return the book. I remember my sisters and I doing 'cat's cradle' but didn't realize that there were so many other kinds. The book is pretty simplistic but a fast read and I do like the Ryan character.
Maryellen
Megan, a paleopathologist, sets up a String-Figure convention with her love stricken friend Ryan. General Murder and mayhem ensues. This was much better than Meredith's first book in the series. Megan is almost as irritating but I like the book club group and Ryan. The murder method itself was interesting as was the murderers.
Chi Dubinski
A cozy mystery featuring reference librarian Megan Clark. Megan asks her book club to help her research string figures, but a valuable manuscript goes missing, and they get involved in a murder.
Dale
ill pre bound a type of book i dont like to read the story was set at a string art conference (Jacob's Ladder etc.) greddy collections and lost manuscript from the queen of string art
Martha Grace
Murder by the Yard is a book club and they are putting on a conference about string figures -- remember the Cat's Cradle from your childhood? And the action goes from there.
proto
more than a human could want to know about the history and construction of string figures.
Bookworm
Bookworm marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2015
A.K. Klemm
A.K. Klemm marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2015
Sabrina The Book Lover
Sabrina The Book Lover marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2015
Janet
Janet marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2015
Evelyn
Evelyn marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2015
Jonathan
Jonathan marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2015
Leslie
Leslie added it
Jun 10, 2015
Nidia
Nidia marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2015
Fairlee Corkran
Fairlee Corkran marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Uncatalogued (A Booklover's Mystery, #6)
  • Room for Murder (A Lighthouse Inn Mystery, #4)
  • Catalogue of Death (Miss Zukas, #10)
  • Provence to Die for (Murder, She Wrote, #17)
  • Shadows At The Fair (Antique Print, #1)
  • The Ghost and the Dead Deb (Haunted Bookshop Mystery, #2)
  • Pay the Piper (Pennyfoot Hotel Mystery, #7)
  • Every Trick in the Book (Novel Idea, #2)
  • Who Let That Killer in the House? (Thoroughly Southern, #5)
  • Huckleberry Finished (A Delilah Dickinson Literary Tour Mystery, #2)
  • The Body in the Snowdrift (Faith Fairchild, #15)
  • So Faux, So Good (Den of Antiquity, #4)
  • A Killer Read (Ashton Corners Book Club Mystery #1)
  • Design For Murder (Death On Demand, #2)
  • Murder at the Library of Congress (Capital Crimes, #16)
  • The Alpine Menace
(from Fantastic Fiction online)

D.R. Meredith, Doris to friends and family, has a split personality--by day, she is a conservatively dressed legal secretary at her husband Mike's law firm. By night she turns into Mrs. Hyde dressed in jeans, flip-flops, and Texas Rangers tee shirt, and commits bloody murder.

She is now in double digits. In her fourth book in the Megan Clark mystery series, the 18th
More about D.R. Meredith...

Megan Clark (5 books)
  • Murder in Volume (Megan Clark, #1)
  • Murder Past Due (Megan Clark, #3)
  • Tome of Death (Megan Clark, #4)
  • Murder By the Book (Megan Clark, #5)
Murder in Volume (Megan Clark, #1) Murder Past Due (Megan Clark, #3) Murder By the Book (Megan Clark, #5) Tome of Death (Megan Clark, #4) Murder by Impulse