Start by marking “By Hook or By Book (Megan Clark, #2)” as Want to Read:
By Hook or By Book (Megan Clark, #2)

By Hook or By Book (Megan Clark #2)

3.38  ·  Rating Details  ·  130 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
Reference librarian Megan Clark persuades the Murder by the Yard book group to accompany her to do research on string figures. But when a valuable, unpublished manuscript about the hobby disappears--and its owner is found dead--the group gets strung along by a killer.
Published May 1st 2000 by Berkley

To ask other readers questions about By Hook or By Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about By Hook or By Book

Katerina
Easy story and interesting plot. I hadn't heard about string figures before and it was interesting to discover about them. I am this type of person like Ryan that can't figure them out by seeing written instructions. I rather need to check pictures, so I couldn't follow any of them but I will try to check them some time. The mystery was simple but realistic. I couldn't figure out the murder till the end and the final act confused me even more. I think I might keep this series in mind for easily ...more
Trish
Feb 25, 2015 Trish rated it really liked it
Megan Clark returns in this second book in the Mystery Reading Group series. This volume is also well written, although I was more than a little distracted by the instructions on how to make string tricks at the beginning of many of the chapters. In fact, it quite surprised me that such a thing would be in enough demand to warrant a sort of convention, but hey cozies are all about the set-up. Enjoyable mystery and I did not figure out "whodunnit" on this one.

Will continue to read in this series
Susan
By Hook or by Book by D.R. Meredith is the second book in the Megan Clark mystery series, set in the contemporary Texas Panhandle. In the first book of the series, Megan Clark established a mystery reading group, Murder by the Yard. In this second book, Megan is in charge of a String Figure conference. Each chapter starts with detailed instructions to create a string figure.

Famous to all in String Figure fandom is Caroline Furness Jayne and her seminal work, String Figures and How to Make Them.
Hattie
Jan 11, 2014 Hattie rated it it was amazing
Murder By The Yard Book Store is giving a convention. Although Agnes is the owner of the book store, Megan will head the convention about string figures. She has invited Dr. Brownleigh. He owns the famous, authentic manuscript of Caroline Furness Jayne. Ms. Jayne was an expert about string figures from different cultures. However, all of Megan's plans will go awry when murder or murders enter the door of Murder By The Yard Book Store.

I did not know until this mystery how important string figures
Karen Spignese
Oct 11, 2014 Karen Spignese rated it it was amazing
This is the 2nd book in D.R. Meredith's mystery series featuring Megan Clark & the Murder by the Yard book group. I absolutely love this series & already have the 3rd & 4th books in the series waiting to be started. It's a cozy mystery series, but doesn't have the cuteness & fluff that ruin a lot of cozies. This book revolves around a string figure convention. Remember the Cat's Cradle game you played with a length of string as a child? Well, I was amazed to learn there are so ma ...more
Andi O'Connor
May 09, 2013 Andi O'Connor rated it really liked it
Shelves: murder-mystery
This was a great murder mystery and the first book I've read by D. R. Meredith. I was not aware that it was the 2nd in a series when I began reading, but it was still enjoyable on its own. I love the characters, especially Megan, and Meredith did an excellent job of keeping the suspense right up to the end. I did have my guess about the murderer, but it was written in such a way that I wasn't sure until the very end when it was revealed. The one thing I think distracted from the story was the st ...more
Prudence
Jul 11, 2015 Prudence rated it liked it
This murder mystery centers around the cultural significance of the construction of string figures (i.e. Cat's Cradle, etc.), with the focus on the author Caroline Furness Jayne (String Figures and How to Make Them), which sounded rather familiar to me. Lo' and behold, we have the book in our elementary library! It is a little difficult for elementary students but pretty cool that I actually have the book at school.
Amanda Aelker
Jun 06, 2016 Amanda Aelker rated it really liked it
I think I liked this one better than the first in the series. Same characters- so it made it easy to get into. The technical writing parts with descriptions of how to make string figures was kind of tedius- and boring- so I just skipped over those parts.
Jimgeier
Mar 18, 2014 Jimgeier rated it liked it
Pretty good characters, development is slow at the start and into the middle, and too much is revealed at the very end. It did keep me reading, but the build-up to the ending was far too slow.
Helen
Apr 07, 2015 Helen rated it liked it
Disappointing start, after the first book in the series, though it did improve in the second half. I felt the theme, string figures (cat's cradle) to be too obscure.
Dwight
Oct 21, 2009 Dwight rated it liked it
This mystery novel added an extra twist of including directions for making string figures to the beginning of some of the chapters, which is fitting because the whole plot is focused on Caroline Furness Jayne's book String Figures and How to Make Them A Study of Cat's-Cradle in Many Lands.
Maria (Ri)
This second book of the series was less interesting for me than the first. It seemed so implausible. Are there really so many fervent string figure enthusiasts? And why did the Mystery club members jump on board to this strange hobby so quickly and passionately? Anyhow, I had my hunches about the murderer about halfway through, but wasn't 100% so I kept reading. This is definitely not my favorite in the series. I hope this is just a sophomore slump and the future books are better - I've already ...more
Mkotch
Apr 27, 2015 Mkotch rated it did not like it
A snooze
Julie
Sep 14, 2008 Julie rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
I enjoyed the information about string figures in this book. I need to make myself a 6 foot loop and try some before I return the book. I remember my sisters and I doing 'cat's cradle' but didn't realize that there were so many other kinds. The book is pretty simplistic but a fast read and I do like the Ryan character.
Maryellen
Jul 11, 2010 Maryellen rated it really liked it
Megan, a paleopathologist, sets up a String-Figure convention with her love stricken friend Ryan. General Murder and mayhem ensues. This was much better than Meredith's first book in the series. Megan is almost as irritating but I like the book club group and Ryan. The murder method itself was interesting as was the murderers.
Linda Wallace
Mar 12, 2016 Linda Wallace rated it it was ok
Don't know why I read this book. I found it to rather boring and I usually won't finish a book if after 50 pages I find I don't enjoy it. (Too many books, too little time). The description of the string fingures was uninteresting and I couldn't fet excited about any of the characters or the mystery.
Chi Dubinski
Oct 17, 2013 Chi Dubinski rated it liked it
A cozy mystery featuring reference librarian Megan Clark. Megan asks her book club to help her research string figures, but a valuable manuscript goes missing, and they get involved in a murder.
Dale
Feb 13, 2009 Dale rated it it was ok
ill pre bound a type of book i dont like to read the story was set at a string art conference (Jacob's Ladder etc.) greddy collections and lost manuscript from the queen of string art
Martha Grace
Mar 01, 2011 Martha Grace rated it liked it
Murder by the Yard is a book club and they are putting on a conference about string figures -- remember the Cat's Cradle from your childhood? And the action goes from there.
proto
Sep 19, 2012 proto rated it liked it
more than a human could want to know about the history and construction of string figures.
Pat
Oct 06, 2015 Pat rated it really liked it

Second in the series and good enough to move me on to #3.
Maya McMullan
Maya McMullan rated it it was ok
Jun 23, 2016
Tammy Goldthorpe
Tammy Goldthorpe marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2016
Kathy
Kathy added it
Jun 02, 2016
Alison
Alison marked it as to-read
May 22, 2016
Tara Fleming
Tara Fleming marked it as to-read
May 18, 2016
Pat Winter
Pat Winter marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2016
Aaa
Aaa rated it really liked it
Apr 12, 2016
  • Uncatalogued (A Booklover's Mystery, #6)
  • Shadows At The Fair (Antique Print, #1)
  • Provence to Die for (Murder, She Wrote, #17)
  • Catalogue of Death (Miss Zukas, #10)
  • Who Let That Killer in the House? (Thoroughly Southern, #5)
  • The Ghost And The Dead Man's Library (Haunted Bookshop Mystery, #3)
  • A Killer Read (Ashton Corners Book Club Mystery #1)
  • Every Trick in the Book (Novel Idea, #2)
  • A Wicked Way to Burn (Bracebridge Mystery, #1)
  • The Alpine Menace
  • Black Water Transit
  • So Faux, So Good (Den of Antiquity, #4)
  • Honeymoon With Murder (Death on Demand, #4)
  • Death Walked In (Death on Demand, #18)
  • Pay the Piper (Pennyfoot Hotel Mystery, #7)
  • The Body in the Lighthouse
(from Fantastic Fiction online)

D.R. Meredith, Doris to friends and family, has a split personality--by day, she is a conservatively dressed legal secretary at her husband Mike's law firm. By night she turns into Mrs. Hyde dressed in jeans, flip-flops, and Texas Rangers tee shirt, and commits bloody murder.

She is now in double digits. In her fourth book in the Megan Clark mystery series, the 18th
More about D.R. Meredith...

Megan Clark (5 books)
  • Murder in Volume (Megan Clark, #1)
  • Murder Past Due (Megan Clark, #3)
  • Tome of Death (Megan Clark, #4)
  • Murder By the Book (Megan Clark, #5)