Start by marking “By Hook or By Book (Megan Clark, #2)” as Want to Read:
By Hook or By Book (Megan Clark, #2)

By Hook or By Book (Megan Clark #2)

3.46 of 5 stars 3.46  ·  rating details  ·  99 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Reference librarian Megan Clark persuades the Murder by the Yard book group to accompany her to do research on string figures. But when a valuable, unpublished manuscript about the hobby disappears--and its owner is found dead--the group gets strung along by a killer.
Published May 1st 2000 by Berkley

To ask other readers questions about By Hook or By Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about By Hook or By Book

Hattie
Murder By The Yard Book Store is giving a convention. Although Agnes is the owner of the book store, Megan will head the convention about string figures. She has invited Dr. Brownleigh. He owns the famous, authentic manuscript of Caroline Furness Jayne. Ms. Jayne was an expert about string figures from different cultures. However, all of Megan's plans will go awry when murder or murders enter the door of Murder By The Yard Book Store.

I did not know until this mystery how important string figures
Karen Spignese
This is the 2nd book in D.R. Meredith's mystery series featuring Megan Clark & the Murder by the Yard book group. I absolutely love this series & already have the 3rd & 4th books in the series waiting to be started. It's a cozy mystery series, but doesn't have the cuteness & fluff that ruin a lot of cozies. This book revolves around a string figure convention. Remember the Cat's Cradle game you played with a length of string as a child? Well, I was amazed to learn there are so ma ...more
Andi O'Connor
This was a great murder mystery and the first book I've read by D. R. Meredith. I was not aware that it was the 2nd in a series when I began reading, but it was still enjoyable on its own. I love the characters, especially Megan, and Meredith did an excellent job of keeping the suspense right up to the end. I did have my guess about the murderer, but it was written in such a way that I wasn't sure until the very end when it was revealed. The one thing I think distracted from the story was the st ...more
Jimgeier
Pretty good characters, development is slow at the start and into the middle, and too much is revealed at the very end. It did keep me reading, but the build-up to the ending was far too slow.
Dwight
This mystery novel added an extra twist of including directions for making string figures to the beginning of some of the chapters, which is fitting because the whole plot is focused on Caroline Furness Jayne's book String Figures and How to Make Them A Study of Cat's-Cradle in Many Lands.
Maria (Ri)
This second book of the series was less interesting for me than the first. It seemed so implausible. Are there really so many fervent string figure enthusiasts? And why did the Mystery club members jump on board to this strange hobby so quickly and passionately? Anyhow, I had my hunches about the murderer about halfway through, but wasn't 100% so I kept reading. This is definitely not my favorite in the series. I hope this is just a sophomore slump and the future books are better - I've already ...more
Pat

Second in the series and good enough to move me on to #3.
Julie
I enjoyed the information about string figures in this book. I need to make myself a 6 foot loop and try some before I return the book. I remember my sisters and I doing 'cat's cradle' but didn't realize that there were so many other kinds. The book is pretty simplistic but a fast read and I do like the Ryan character.
Maryellen
Megan, a paleopathologist, sets up a String-Figure convention with her love stricken friend Ryan. General Murder and mayhem ensues. This was much better than Meredith's first book in the series. Megan is almost as irritating but I like the book club group and Ryan. The murder method itself was interesting as was the murderers.
Chi Dubinski
A cozy mystery featuring reference librarian Megan Clark. Megan asks her book club to help her research string figures, but a valuable manuscript goes missing, and they get involved in a murder.
Dale
ill pre bound a type of book i dont like to read the story was set at a string art conference (Jacob's Ladder etc.) greddy collections and lost manuscript from the queen of string art
Martha Grace
Murder by the Yard is a book club and they are putting on a conference about string figures -- remember the Cat's Cradle from your childhood? And the action goes from there.
proto
more than a human could want to know about the history and construction of string figures.
John Hanley
John Hanley marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2014
Kristen Ray
Kristen Ray marked it as to-read
Dec 01, 2014
Sue
Sue marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2014
Cheryl
Cheryl marked it as to-read
Oct 03, 2014
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2014
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2014
Jeanette
Jeanette marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2014
Romalyn Romajane Abrenio
Romalyn Romajane Abrenio is currently reading it
Aug 16, 2014
Melissapalmer404
Melissapalmer404 marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2014
Tina
Tina marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2014
Nancy
Nancy marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2014
Sandra
Sandra marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Room for Murder (A Lighthouse Inn Mystery, #4)
  • Unsolicited (A Booklover's Mystery, #1)
  • Catalogue of Death (Miss Zukas, #10)
  • The Ghost And The Dead Man's Library (Haunted Bookshop Mystery, #3)
  • Every Trick in the Book (Novel Idea, #2)
  • Pay the Piper (Pennyfoot Hotel Mystery, #7)
  • Who Let That Killer in the House? (Thoroughly Southern, #5)
  • Murder at the Library of Congress (Capital Crimes, #16)
  • The Alpine Menace
  • Bookplate Special (A Booktown Mystery, #3)
  • Death Walked In (Death on Demand, #18)
  • The Body in the Snowdrift (Faith Fairchild, #15)
  • Hounding the Pavement (Dog Walker Mysteries, #1)
  • Design for Murder (Death on Demand, #2)
  • A Killer Read (Ashton Corners Book Club Mystery #1)
  • Huckleberry Finished (A Delilah Dickinson Literary Tour Mystery, #2)
  • If Books Could Kill (Bibliophile Mystery, #2)
  • Murder Uncorked (A Wine Lover's Mystery, #1)
(from Fantastic Fiction online)

D. R. Meredith, Doris to friends and family, has a split personality--one is that of a conservatively dressed legal secretary at her husband Mike's law firm. At night she turns into Mrs. Hyde dressed in jeans, flip-flops, and Texas Rangers' tee shirt and commits bloody murder.

She is now in double digits. In her fourth book in the Megan Clark mystery series, the 18th
More about D.R. Meredith...
Murder in Volume (Megan Clark, #1) Murder Past Due (Megan Clark, #3) Murder By the Book (Megan Clark, #5) Tome of Death (Megan Clark, #4) Murder by Impulse