Before You Do: Making Great Decisions That You Won't Regret

Before You Do: Making Great Decisions That You Won't Regret

4.13 of 5 stars 4.13  ·  rating details  ·  318 ratings  ·  33 reviews
Veteran preacher T.D. Jakes knows that the key to lasting happiness is being free from painful regrets about past decisions. In Before You Do, the author of Reposition Yourself teaches readers to restructure their lives to build and sustain relationships with the people most important to them. An inspiring how-to book from one of America's most charismatic spiritual leader...more
Published September 16th 2008 by Atria Books (first published September 1st 2008)

Lacey Louwagie
I'm really not sure why this book got such high reviews -- as I was reading it, I kept thinking that it would only be really useful for people who don't THINK about anything before they make big decisions. I, on the other hand, think about everything ad nauseum, so most of the advice in this book was like, "Well, duh." (i.e.: "Babies don't stay babies forever. You may want a baby, but you also need to want a preschooler, an adolescent, and a teenager before you decide to have kids...")

Aside from...more
Aaron Raphael
When I bought the book, I'd never have guessed that it was a book on managing relationships based on it's title. Being married with a child, technically only the last 4-5 chapters were applicable to me. The book doesn't really focus much on the Christian aspects but more focused on practically and common sense. I'd have expected a stronger spiritual element to the book overall.
Pamela Howard
T.D. Jakes is known for being able to connect with audiences that have people from all walks of life, and he was able to capture this same gift within this book. He touched on so many angles and scenarios of Before you do's in reference to marriage, divorce, separation, getting a job, quitting a job, starting a business, have children, make any commitments, etc. The theme of this book is centered around being able to make great decisions that you wont regret. The main reason this book was very e...more
Duffle Bag
May 28, 2009 Duffle Bag added it
Recommends it for: EVERY ONE
This Book helps out if your planning on dateing,getting married, or just wanting a better life for your self. If you don't now what to do or you just need insite of what you could do this is the book for you..:)
Thesina
I read this book and it was so helpful to me. Bishop provided insightful nuggets to apply to your decision making process. If you are in the mist of making a BIG decision, this book is a MUST read.
Adele
OK book, solid advice with a Christian orientation, but not heavy-handed. Very much common sense, but not ground-breaking.
Andrew
Making Great Decisions is written to guide readers into realistic expectations towards your relationships and researching who they really truly are. People will always reveal and display their feelings through their thoughts, words, behaviors, and actions. Bishop Jakes is a firm believer in asking the important questions and then weighing the response we receive in our relationships. Often times we fail to ask our dating partners the right kind of questions, then we are shocked when later they s...more
Loy Machedo
Loy Machedo’s Book Review – Making Great Decisions Reflections by T.D. Jakes

I was at Hyper-Panda (a mega-supermarket) and as usual at the favorite section of the market – The book section, searching for yet another good book to may be read and add to my collection. My eyes fell towards the shelf titled ‘Killer Price – Books to Clear’. Priced from around 2$ to 5$, among them, I found a few interesting titles and this was one of them.

So who is T. D. Jakes?
- Jakes is the CEO of TDJ Enterprises, LL...more
Kathie H
Jun 29, 2009 Kathie H rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Young adults on up
This book practically jumped off the shelf to get me to read it. (I have a guardian angel who is on. The. JOB.) I am no fan of "Doctor" Phil (anyone with a tag line is a complete turnoff to me) & I knew Reverend Jakes is on his show. But I overcame that reservation & read Reverend Jakes's book. Believe me, if you read it, you will feel as though you have a new lease on life. It's almost like an on-the-job-of-life training manual. Don't be put off by the fact that Reverend Jakes is a memb...more
Adrienna
I was at a dry season in the work field, after obtaining two degrees in 2004, I found myself in and out of the work place and need a book to help me make better decisions that I wouldn't regret. Therefore, I picked this book up to read and help me soar for my encore. It was a pretty decent read and believe I also have a copy in my possession after reading it at the library.

Adrienna Turner
Suzzette
Nov 14, 2008 Suzzette rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Suzzette by: I saw it in Essence magazine
I am still reading this book but it is great. T.D. Jakes is essentially encouraging us to really think through our decisions when selecting a mate and especially choosing to marry our mate. However, this book is a great guide to making decisions in general. T.D. Jakes has a great sense of humor and is a very talented writer.
Simone
Bishop T.D. Jakes expounds upon making the right decisions in life and provides us with the necessary steps to avoid regret.

Before You Do topics include marriage, divorce, taking risks, choosing your inner circle and avoid settling for less in your personal and business life.

JD Burkholder
Excellent read for those preparing for marriage. For those who have, the decision-making principles still stand for all other situations. I was encouraged by many of the ideas shared and sparked my interest to read more of his books.
Mimi
A practical way to look at and evaluate decisions before, during and after making them! A particularly good read for people seeking marriage partners. Good bare bones relationship advice and help with other big decisions.
Queen  Diva
This book is a must read before you do anything! I couldn't put this book down because there are so many things I'm preparing to receive this year and I got so much insight reading this book!
Mpho muthelo
For family,relationships and all personal decisions, lets read this book guys.I Learned a lot. thank you T.D Jakes, God bless you.
Karrie
Dec 29, 2008 Karrie marked it as to-read
If you are planning to get married... read this! I heard a review about it and it's everything you need to know about marriage.
Adam
Great/ This book is a good reference for present situations that we all have faced or going to face in life.
Sandra
I am currently reading this book and it is excellent. You can't go wrong with Bishop Jakes.
Mahlalo
i find the book not that intresting i think what he has written its common sense duh
Lori Locklear
A perfect guide to asking the right questions before you take the next step.
Marilyn Diamond
I refer to this book before making a decision...it's just that great
J.Elliot Howaed
Jun 08, 2010 J.Elliot Howaed rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
This is a book that truly spells out how to count the cost.
Amycwilloughby
I read bits and pieces of it. It was okay.
Chevonne
good book on the different stages in your life
Terry
Great book for prospective newlyweds.........
Cherry
Feb 09, 2013 Cherry marked it as to-read
I want too buy and read this book also
Dorothy
Great self help book :)
  • Look Great, Feel Great: 12 Keys to Enjoying a Healthy Life Now
  • Love as a Way of Life: Seven Keys to Transforming Every Aspect of Your Life
  • Your Best Life Begins Each Morning: Devotions to Start Every New Day of the Year
  • Understanding the Purpose and Power of Woman
  • Love Your Life: Living Happy, Healthy, and Whole
  • Under Cover: The Promise of Protection Under His Authority
  • Classic Christianity: Life's Too Short to Miss the Real Thing
  • Commanding Your Morning: Unleash the Power of God in Your Life
  • Until Today!: Daily Devotions for Spiritual Growth and Peace of Mind
  • Shift Your Habit: Easy Ways to Save Money, Simplify Your Life, and Save the Planet
  • InStyle: Secrets of Style: The Complete Guide to Dressing Your Best Every Day
  • They Shall Expel Demons: What You Need to Know about Demons—Your Invisible Enemies
  • The Christian's Secret Of A Happy Life (Hendrickson Christian Classics)
  • Unmerited Favor: Depending on Jesus for every success in your life
  • Out of the Shadows: Understanding Sexual Addiction
  • I Know I've Been Changed
  • The Fourth Dimension: Discovering a New World of Answered Prayer
  • The Deal, the Dance, and the Devil
Bishop T.D. Jakes is the author of the bestsellers God's Leading Lady; The Lady, Her Lover and Her Lord; Maximize the Moment; The Great Investment; His Lady; Woman, Thou art Loosed (the film of which won the Best Film Award at the Santa Barbara Film Festival) and He-Motions. His daily morning show The Potter's Touch and weekly broadcast The Potter's House air on Trinity Broadcasting Network and Bl...more
More about T.D. Jakes...
Woman, Thou Art Loosed!: Healing the Wounds of the Past Reposition Yourself: Living Life Without Limits The Lady, Her Lover, and Her Lord Not Easily Broken Let it Go: Forgive So You Can Be Forgiven

“To those of us who often procrastinate on the decision we feel intimidated by lack of education or any area of weakness. I relieve you with this statement: It is not how much you know that arms you with the tools of great decision making, but rather how much you ask. Ask questions.” 40 likes