Start by marking “The New Bottoming Book” as Want to Read:
The New Bottoming Book

The New Bottoming Book

Almost a decade ago, the first Bottoming Book taught tens of thousands of people that bottoming - being a submissive, masochist, slave, 'boy' or 'girl, ' or other BDSM recipient -- is as much an art as topping. Since then, the growing popularity of BDSM, and the blossoming of the Internet as a source of information and connection, have created a whole new universe of possi ...more
Paperback, 2nd (revised & updated) edition, 200 pages
Published February 25th 2015 by Greenery Press (CA) (first published February 1st 1994)

To ask other readers questions about The New Bottoming Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The New Bottoming Book

elise
I'm having so many emotions right now after finishing this, and I hope I can reign them in a bit during the following series of anguished ramblings. Actually, I think I might let loose a little, just because reading this was a personal experience and I don't know how else to talk about it without feeling weird.

I really should have read this earlier. If I ever become some kind of kindly kinky elderly mother figure, I will pass this book out to anybody who I think needs it. There's so much vital i
Joe S
Dec 13, 2007 Joe S rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: all of my future boyfriends, from now on
Shelves: nonfiction
If you want a how-to book, this isn't it. If you want a why-for book, this is your baby. I wish I would have found this book years ago. For people who are already in the game, it's a quirky, fun reaffirmation and reminder of the basics. And while you won't learn the practical importance of, say, different commercial-grade leathers, I think the authors do a pretty good job of guiding readers to the psychological space you'll need to find once you do snag a good top who knows his way around a dung ...more
Mary K
Aug 26, 2010 Mary K rated it liked it
Although I appreciate Easton's work, I feel that I run into the same wall every time I read something by her. Every point she makes are ones I already know, in a way; it's all common sense, lessons learned through living, and epiphanies we all come to at some point. We all know that in order to be the best bottom we can be, we must communicate with our top. We must respect our top. We must respect ourselves. Etc. We all are very aware of these things, but every now and then, we need reminding. W ...more
Beverly Diehl
Dec 01, 2015 Beverly Diehl rated it it was amazing
Excellent resource about bottoming for beginners that gives a great overview of the various ways someone might want to bottom, and why. Especially insightful was sections about a bottom's duty to their top. I had a lot of fun reading it, then playing dress-up and making the attached video review (https://youtu.be/qTz3l9fUgmc), and know I will be rereading frequently.

Highly recommended for both beginners, and for writers who want to include these kinds of scenes in their own work.
Angel S
Apr 11, 2008 Angel S rated it really liked it
Shelves: bdsm
This book is really good for someone interested in bottoming that is still new to it. I'm not new to it, but it was still a good read.
Hope McCormick
Jun 10, 2011 Hope McCormick rated it it was amazing
Helped me understand the psychological side of submission better than anything else I've read on the subject. Very good book for the curious.
Sienna
Dec 21, 2007 Sienna rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone who has sex
Shelves: sexuality
Again more validation and a new insight into my own personal power dynamic in a sexual relationship.
Mark Stone
Jul 27, 2007 Mark Stone rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: tops, bottoms, switches, and anyone else interested in BDSM sexuality.
Shelves: sex
When my girlfriend and I took our questions about our burgeoning interest in BDSM to our more experienced friends in Washington D.C., they recommended that we start with this book, and it's sister The New Topping Book. The authors write with wit and compassion, making this a fun, sexy, and comforting read.

It's important to remember, however, that this isn't a 'how-to' manual. It won't tell you how to play BDSM games with your lover - at most, there are a few scenes you might find interesting. I
Katherine
Jan 15, 2015 Katherine rated it it was amazing
Beautiful, easy-to-read, vivacious prose; it almost seems like you're face-to-face with Dossie and Janet (the authors)!

Great introduction to playing submissive/bottoming roles in sex and BDSM. Great tips on where to start, what kinds of sensations and scenes you could explore, the healing and spiritual potential of BDSM, and what to look for/look out for in yourself and your sexual partners.

Additionally, the updated introduction and additional section about online communities and cybersex reall
unnarrator
Feb 13, 2010 unnarrator rated it it was ok
The best thing about this was the former subtitle (removed in this edition): How to Get Terrible Things Done to You By Wonderful People. Astonishingly boring, I thought, given its subject matter.
Kristina Kopnisky
Jul 30, 2009 Kristina Kopnisky rated it really liked it
The companion book to "The Topping Book". The next level after reading SM101 & Screw the Roses. Silly illustrations. Amusing anecdotes. Good advice.
Kathryn
Jun 02, 2017 Kathryn rated it really liked it
Good starter into being a bottom covers all the basics and good reminder for those of us who have done it for a while! It goes a bit out there so something for everyone.
Edward Richmond
Informative reading for tops or bottoms, especially newbies. Between this volume and Easton and Hardy's companion piece, The New Topping Book, I'd say that this is the more useful of the two because it deals more straightforwardly and specifically with the how and why of bottoming.

As a case in point, The New Bottoming Book addresses masochism very completely for a beginner-friendly guide to BDSM. It discusses not only the basic premise that pain leads to the release of endorphins, which in turn
Gaëlle-Anne
Apr 21, 2015 Gaëlle-Anne rated it it was amazing
On peut aimer ou ne pas aimer le style des autrices. Il n'en reste pas moins que les conseils délivrés sont d'une rare pertinence... pour tout le monde. Quelles sont mes limites ? Quels sont mes besoins (lesquels sont indispensables lesquels sont la cerise sur le gâteau) ? Quelles sont mes envies ? On ne nous apprend absolument pas à discuter de sexualité avec nos partenaires et l'avantage de la relation BDSM est qu'elle "force" à le faire de la manière la plus claire possible (une scène de "vio ...more
Nicoll Campbell
Aug 20, 2012 Nicoll Campbell rated it really liked it
Recommended to Nicoll by: Internet Research
Very Interesting - Whilst I learnt a lot about a many different aspects of Bottoming. I found Part 1 to be the most beneficial. Preconceptions vs Truth. The Net. Getting in touch with you.My copy has just about every second page highlighted or annotated in Part 1.

I thought Part 2 whilst extensive in the types of play ,I felt that the authors reminiscing of their conquests detracted from the actual "playing". The mention of "waxplay" had me sit up but then there was nothing about it(I will have t
Christopher Munroe
Feb 25, 2014 Christopher Munroe rated it it was amazing
There may come a time in your life where an, in hindsight, obviously abusive relationship leaves you completely disassociated from your body and sexuality.

In times like that, I should think, it is only right and natural to go back to your roots. Reconnect with yourself on a fundamental level, remind yourself who you are and what it is that you like. A person who tore you apart is one thing, allowing their influence to keep you from the fullness of life even after they’re gone is quite another. Y
Zuzka Namu Jakubkova
I loved authors' earlier collaboration on Ethical Slut and I was not disappointed by their thorough examination of receiving aspect of BDSM-related activities. (I personally read as BDSM as BaDass Sex Magic from now on, as I am getting a bit lost in all the abbreviations.)

Book offers great context on emotional status of bottoms, as well as their complicated relationship with their tops. Great pointers on safety in BDSM, importance of D/S in sex therapy and difference between preplay negotiations
Amy
I can see that maybe when this book first came out nearly 20 years ago that it was breaking through barriers that existed between kink communities and the mainstream world....but as a Millennial who grew up in a sex-saturated era with immediate access to the internet at all times, coupled with coming from a sex-positive family and peer culture, I have to say there wasn't a lot here for me.

This definitely wasn't a "how" book, but more of a "why?" The authors' insights into various aspects of S/M,
Lauren
May 28, 2015 Lauren rated it really liked it
This book did a nice job of giving an overview of how to remain same in the world of kink as often repeated in the ever present mantra, "safe, sane, consensual." It is a great resource for how to frame oneself mentally and is a great precursor before engaging in any heavy emotional play in BDSM. There is significant discussion of spirituality as it relates to kink, but it is always presented relatively secularly and repeated that to view kink spiritually is always the players option. Not a how t ...more
Besha
May 03, 2011 Besha rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2011
Read during a SFSI shift along with The Sexually Dominant Woman. The Topping Book is much better organized and offers really excellent theory. I’m skeptical of these two authors--The Ethical Slut put me off open relationships for years—but I really enjoyed reading this.
D
Jul 24, 2015 D rated it really liked it
Think outside your boundaries! Although I was personally given this book by my BFF and directed to read it, I really enjoyed the experience and found it quite interesting and informative. It is especially good at helping better understand the dynamics of a relationship and offering insights to improving one's service as a bottom. The book has already helped me be a better submissive to my BFF and her sister in our somewhat complex F/F/F D/D/s experimentation. XOXOXOs to the authors, Janet Hardy ...more
Caleb
Sep 14, 2012 Caleb rated it it was amazing
I thought it was amazing. It got me thinking about my kink in a new way and allowed me to vocalize fantasies that I've had in my mind waiting to come to the surface. I would definitely recommend this to anyone looking to get into the world of BDSM and is interested in being the one receiving the "punishment." There's so many facets to the world of BDSM and some education is definitely a good idea.
Mel
Jun 25, 2012 Mel rated it liked it
The New Bottoming Book is a good starter book for those interested in the sub aspect of a BDSM lifestyle, either as a bottom or a top. This is not the end all, be all, but gives a good idea of what can be expected, real life scenarios, and a basic understanding of the lifestyle.

I like the authors use of real life experiences to illustrate situations and expectations. I came with a better understanding of what I want from the lifestyle. Good way to begin.
Rich Daley
Apr 06, 2011 Rich Daley rated it really liked it
Seeing the other side was very useful, although I learnt little that I didn't get from the companion volume. As always, Easton & Hardy are confident, fun and responsible authors, although their need to include spirituality (thankfully in a dedicated chapter) in everything is sometimes a bit hard work.
Paul Hampson
Sep 09, 2014 Paul Hampson rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sexuality
Absolutely essential, along with the Topping book, for anyone interested in exploring their sexuality in a BDSM manner. From finding partners, pre-scene negotiations to the first session, Dossie Easton takes us on a journey, with informative anecdotes, in acquiring the necessary skills to be an excellent bottom.

Can't recommend it enough!
Dani
Sep 02, 2015 Dani rated it really liked it
So, I visited my kinky chosen-aunt again, and it was lovely, as always.

Nothing groundbreaking to read in this book, but by sharing her hard-earned, hard-lived wisdom she made me feel infinitely validated.

Jasper
May 21, 2013 Jasper rated it really liked it
Definitely a good book -- a decent middle-line between a "newbie" guide and something that those of us further along into the scene can still enjoy. Very empowering, and it gives you a lot of specific things to think about!
Dana Howl
Apr 26, 2016 Dana Howl rated it really liked it
Shelves: sex-and-kink
A lovely primer to bottoming in a kink context. Made me rethink a lot of things that I hadn't considered before, and I love the writing style the authors bring to this book. Unfortunately I don't think I was the intended audience for this book, it seems to be more for someone who is new to kink.
Kelli
Feb 09, 2017 Kelli rated it really liked it
A friendly and thorough exploration of what it takes to be a bottom, the myriad of activities one may participate in (and their safety concerns), and how to work with a top.
Paige La Marchand
Apr 16, 2015 Paige La Marchand rated it really liked it
Like The New Topping Book, this is an updated version of a previous book (this time it was The Bottoming Book: How to Get Terrible Things Done to You by Wonderful People). The edition I read was published in 2001, roughly ten years after the original. Both books are by BDSM veterans Dossie Easton and Janet W. Hardy.
This was similar to The New Topping Book in that it was a good primer for people new to the lifestyle, though there were fewer anecdotes and personal scenes, and a lot was repeated be
  • SM 101: A Realistic Introduction
  • The Loving Dominant
  • Sensuous Magic: A Guide for Adventurous Lovers
  • Screw the Roses, Send Me the Thorns: The Romance and Sexual Sorcery of Sadomasochism
  • The Ultimate Guide to Kink: BDSM, Role Play and the Erotic Edge
  • Two Knotty Boys Showing You the Ropes: A Step-by-Step, Illustrated Guide for Tying Sensual and Decorative Rope Bondage
  • Different Loving: A Complete Exploration of the World of Sexual Dominance and Submission
  • The Mistress Manual: The Good Girl's Guide to Female Dominance
  • Wild Side Sex: The Book of Kink: Educational, Sensual, and Entertaining Essays
  • Leather Folk
  • Shibari You Can Use: Japanese Rope Bondage and Erotic Macram
  • The Good Vibrations Guide to Sex: The Most Complete Sex Manual Ever Written
  • The Leather Daddy and the Femme
  • The Control Book
  • Playing Well with Others: Your Field Guide to Discovering, Exploring and Navigating the Kink, Leather and Bdsm Communities
  • The Ultimate Guide to Fellatio: How to Go Down on a Man and Give Him Mind-Blowing Pleasure
  • Erotic Slavehood: A Miss Abernathy Omnibus