Start by marking “Elements of Information Theory” as Want to Read:
Elements of Information Theory

Elements of Information Theory

4.11  ·  Rating Details  ·  140 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
The latest edition of this classic is updated with new problem sets and material The Second Edition of this fundamental textbook maintains the book's tradition of clear, thought-provoking instruction. Readers are provided once again with an instructive mix of mathematics, physics, statistics, and information theory. All the essential topics in information theory are covere ...more
Published June 1st 2006 by Wiley-Interscience (first published August 12th 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Elements of Information Theory, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Elements of Information Theory

Anthony Owens
Dec 20, 2014 Anthony Owens rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-part
When I was in graduate school, we were required to take a course in Information Theory, with Cover and Thomas' book as the required text. At the time, the course was so challenging for me that I came away with a sour view of information theory altogether. However, a few years ago I picked up the 2nd edition of the text and began my own study of information theory, using only the text itself. I greatly appreciated their development of asymptotic typicality and rate distortion. What I found (once ...more
DJ
Dec 17, 2009 DJ rated it really liked it
Shelves: math
Bad news: you don't have much of a choice when it comes to authoritative textbooks on information theory. Good news: Cover is not a bad book to be stuck with.

Every chapter, theorem, idea, and problem is well-motivated. Landau-lovers of terse textbooks might bawk at the equation-less pages preceding some results, but I greatly appreciated the intuitive prefaces to mathematical formalism.

This book also has one of the finest problem sets I've seen. Each problem is designed to convey a new idea or p
Ahmad AlAmmouri
Jun 13, 2016 Ahmad AlAmmouri rated it it was amazing
Shelves: acadimia
I really like this book, so lucid and starts from the basics. But when it comes to the MAC and BC, I prefer Network Information Theory by Abbas El Gamal.
Jason Yang
Oct 30, 2012 Jason Yang rated it it was amazing
Cover and Thomas is THE classic information theory textbook. Here, the authors took on the ambitious task of making a comprehensive survey of (the still evolving) information theory. Admittedly, I got lost in the proofs about halfway through the text. However, the textual descriptions between proofs were extremely helpful for my overall understanding. The text is unapproachable for those without a solid math or computer science background, but probably one of the best textbooks I've ever worked ...more
Bill
May 16, 2007 Bill rated it really liked it
Shelves: mathematics
I do research in statistical natural language processing and use this as my primary reference about information theory. Well-written, thorough, and accessible to anyone with a foundation in probability. The first three chapters are work the price of the book.
Leonardo
Mar 04, 2015 Leonardo marked it as read-in-part
Shelves: maesecon, own-digital
Leí algunas partes (sobre todo capítulo 2) para el final de Macroeconomía con Heymann. Fue el único lugar del cual logré empezar a entender a donde apuntaba Sims con el asunto de la Entropía.
Huyen
Oct 27, 2012 Huyen rated it it was amazing
Pure gold. A classic in Information Theory.
Praveen
Praveen rated it liked it
Jul 24, 2016
Juan Andrés
Juan Andrés rated it really liked it
Jul 23, 2016
Lucho
Lucho rated it really liked it
Jul 23, 2016
Al VYn
Al VYn marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2016
bartosz_witkowski
bartosz_witkowski marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2016
Eucharia Iwundu
Eucharia Iwundu marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2016
Alexander Popov
Alexander Popov marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2016
Dario
Dario rated it really liked it
Jul 16, 2016
Joe Antognini
Joe Antognini marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2016
Shu Lu
Shu Lu added it
Jul 12, 2016
Rohan Reddy
Rohan Reddy rated it liked it
Jul 10, 2016
Chen
Chen marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2016
Adam
Adam marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2016
Grant Holland
Grant Holland rated it really liked it
Jun 28, 2016
Albara
Albara marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2016
Vegard
Vegard marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2016
Modiga Phemelo
Modiga Phemelo marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2016
CK
CK added it
Jun 14, 2016
Satyabrata Parida
Satyabrata Parida marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2016
Stanley
Stanley marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2016
Lee
Lee marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2016
  • The Mathematical Theory of Communication
  • Information Theory, Inference and Learning Algorithms
  • Convex Optimization
  • Introductory Functional Analysis with Applications
  • Matrix Computations (Johns Hopkins Studies in the Mathematical Sciences)
  • Statistical Inference
  • Visual Complex Analysis
  • Quantum Computation and Quantum Information
  • Solving Mathematical Problems: A Personal Perspective
  • Probabilistic Graphical Models: Principles and Techniques
  • An Introduction to Information Theory: Symbols, Signals and Noise
  • Probability Theory: The Logic of Science
  • Calculus On Manifolds: A Modern Approach To Classical Theorems Of Advanced Calculus
  • Linear Algebra Done Right
  • Real and Complex Analysis
  • The Elements of Statistical Learning: Data Mining, Inference, and Prediction
  • An Introduction to Probability Theory and Its Applications, Volume 1
  • Bayesian Data Analysis

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »