Start by marking “SS Proleterka” as Want to Read:
SS Proleterka

SS Proleterka

3.61  ·  Rating Details  ·  116 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
A woman remembers a summer in her teens, and a cruise she and her father took, in an intense study of familial pain.
Published December 10th 2003 by New Directions Publishing Corporation (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about SS Proleterka, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about SS Proleterka

Ruzica
Oct 10, 2015 Ruzica rated it it was amazing
There is just something about Fleur Jaeggy's writing I can relate to. I've read many great books, but somehow I didn't want to give them five stars even though they were objectively very good. And only now I'm capable of realizing how those books were unable to give me what this brief novel has given me in just 100 pages. Every sentence here is golden. Sweet, beautiful language, well controlled prose, melancholic tone in which it was written. I loved all of it.

I can't escape the impression how e
Ismael Serna
Tal y como bien lo dijo Mauricio Montiel "Proleterka devela sus secretos oscuros, fantásticos y miserables con la exactitud y la gelidez de un bisturí que expone los órganos de un cuerpo atrofiado: "El mundo es una enfermedad perenne." Una gelidez, no obstante, en cuyo centro vibra una flama de insólita belleza gracias a la pericia de Fleur Jaeggy", es evidente que el sombrío barco de Proleterka navega sereno en la oscuridad del corazón.
beesp
Nov 26, 2014 beesp rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Juliana Muñoz Toro
Feb 06, 2016 Juliana Muñoz Toro rated it really liked it
Proleterka (Tusquets) es la última novela publicada de la escritora suiza Fleur Jaeggy, una mujer de la que poco se sabe, como que escribe en italiano y que no tiene afán. Cada década, en promedio, sale un libro suyo. Proleterka, por ejemplo, es de 2001, ganó cerca de tres premios, y desde entonces seguimos a la espera de una nueva novela. Sí, la esperamos, porque las de Jaeggy son letras para no perderse.

La hija recuerda aquel viaje en el Proleterka con el padre. Era una adolescente en aquel en
Michael
Jan 10, 2013 Michael rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In zumeist kurzen Sätzen erzählt Fleur Jaeggy von einer Mittelmeerkreuzfahrt auf dem jugoslawischen Schiff „Proleterka“ (=Proletarierin), die der Vater Johannes H. mit der namenlosen 15-jährigen Erzählerin, die wir schon aus „Die seligen Jahren der Züchtigung“ kennen, gemeinsam unternimmt. Die Prosa funkelt kristallklar und wunderschön und gleicht einem lebensfeindlichen Eispalast, darin die Erzählerin ihre Jugend verbringt.
Es ist keine Vergnügungsfahrt, die hier stattfindet. Die Tochter, die ih
Pepa Valenzuela
Feb 24, 2016 Pepa Valenzuela rated it it was amazing
Narrado en presente y de manera sencilla, directa y breve.
En esa economía de frases y de palabras, hay una profundidad muy bella.
La historia de una hija, un padre y el único viaje que hacen juntos.
Un libro sobre la memoria, las distancias, la familia y la soledad.
Scott
Aug 07, 2007 Scott rated it it was amazing
Shelves: novel
It is kind of strange for me to like this book so much considering it is a tale of a young girl going on a cruise with her father who doesn't pay all that much attention to the narrator, but I was enthralled with the crispness of the lines and the examined despair. It isn't very uplifting or anything like that, which isn't much of a criteria for my reading anyway. It is the best novel I've recently read with such small sentences. Probably not for everyone.
Gravity
Oct 18, 2008 Gravity rated it liked it
"One still, sunny afternoon. Johannes's daughter visits a squalid room. A green night-light over the door. Like a eye on a perch. Ever vigilant. It sheds its light of brute compassion over a bed."

Jaeggy write sentences that even Hemingway might consider sparse, but with a flourish of adjectives and the tone of Lacanian feminist literature. Those little sentences have the emotionally excoriating effect of a thousand lashes with a miniature cat-o-nine.
Klava reads
Un romanzetto un po' insulso raccontato con uno stile incisivo e profondamente evocativo. Mi sarebbe anche potuto piacere, se non fosse stato così superficiale.
Lo avevo acquistato perché mi interessava la vicenda, una figlia che ricostruisce i pochi ricordi del padre morto. E' stata una profonda delusione.
Sylvia
Feb 09, 2013 Sylvia rated it it was amazing
Estoy en la relectura de esta pequeña gran novela. A bordo del Proleterka una hija viaja con el padre que no ha sido sino una figura de ausencia. Pasado y presente se mezclan para presentarnos el color de los días de una chica a quien le han quitado todo: hasta la posibilidad de estar triste.
Griselda
Dec 09, 2010 Griselda rated it really liked it
Es ist kalt.
Francisca Pageo
Francisca Pageo rated it really liked it
Jul 16, 2016
Sunit Dhull
Sunit Dhull rated it really liked it
Jul 15, 2016
Vladimir Ruf
Vladimir Ruf rated it it was ok
Jul 10, 2016
Stef Smulders
Stef Smulders marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2016
Mary Lynn
Mary Lynn rated it really liked it
Jun 11, 2016
Liska Jacobs
Liska Jacobs rated it liked it
Jun 07, 2016
Lucía
Lucía added it
Jun 05, 2016
Atna2
Atna2 rated it it was amazing
Jun 07, 2016
Despoina Despoina
Despoina Despoina rated it liked it
May 25, 2016
Lou Last
Lou Last marked it as to-read
May 18, 2016
Martín Quintana
Martín Quintana rated it really liked it
May 06, 2016
Sara Martin
Sara Martin rated it it was amazing
May 04, 2016
Esthër
Esthër marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2016
Sofia  Plisetskaya
Sofia Plisetskaya marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2016
Eimantas Banevičius
Eimantas Banevičius rated it it was ok
May 15, 2016
Bokrovan
Bokrovan marked it as to-read
Feb 12, 2016
Kjazim Mehanija
Kjazim Mehanija marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Fleur Jaeggy is a Swiss writer, of Italian mother tongue.

After completing her studies in Switzerland, Jaeggy went to live in Rome, where she met Ingeborg Bachmann and Thomas Bernhard.

In 1968 she went to Milan to work for the publisher Adelphi Edizioni. Her first masterpiece was the novel I beati anni del castigo (1989). The Times Literary Supplement accounted her novel Proleterka as the best book
More about Fleur Jaeggy...

“Father and daughter stand before the ship. She looks like a naval vessel. The red star glitters on the funnel. I look immediately at the lettering Proleterka. Blackened, patches of rust, forgotten. Sovereign lettering. The dusk is falling. The ship is large, she hides the sun that is about to sink into the water. She is darkness, pitch and mystery. A privateer built like a fortress, she has survived stormy weather and shipwreck. We go up the gangplank. The officers are waiting for us. We are the last.” 1 likes