Start by marking “All the Wrong People Have Self-Esteem: An Inappropriate Book for Young Ladies*” as Want to Read:
All the Wrong People Have Self-Esteem: An Inappropriate Book for Young Ladies*

All the Wrong People Have Self-Esteem: An Inappropriate Book for Young Ladies*

3.43  ·  Rating Details  ·  121 Ratings  ·  43 Reviews
These days, a lot of people are trying to tell teens what's best for them. Here's a look at life from artist and professional nonconformist Laurie Rosenwald, who insists that she doesn't want to tell anyone what to do. But when you are as irreverent as she is (Is the earth really worth saving?) and as funny (Your breasts: What do they mean?) people sort of DO want to know ...more
Published December 9th 2008 by Bloomsbury USA Childrens

To ask other readers questions about All the Wrong People Have Self-Esteem, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about All the Wrong People Have Self-Esteem

Andrea Marley
Nov 07, 2012 Andrea Marley rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I am 32 and I was meant read this book today, tonight, at this exact hour in my life.
..amazing and awesome... (that's an inside joke with the author)
If you have ever had a worry or insecurity, then I recommend this book to you . It made me feel like the human equivalent of champaign .
Emily
Aug 18, 2009 Emily rated it liked it
Who wouldn't pursue a book with this title? When I found it in the library, it didn't look like what I thought it would, and in all honesty, the design - the collage technique - is not my style. But the tone and the writing are so clever. The tirade about yellowtail was "amazing." I was upset at the page telling guys not to drink tea or eat soup because it makes them look like a wuss. But then I decided it was sarcasm and that I could trust Ms. Rosenwald since she had just 10 pages earlier said, ...more
Sally
Jan 21, 2009 Sally rated it did not like it
Meh, I don't think I'll finish it. I guess it's geared towards teen girls, but the material seems a bit mature for even older teen girls. Just the first few pages point out that teen girls and their mothers probably argue because the moms are noticing their daughters come into their sexuality and the mothers are jealous. uh? Casual mention of sex, assuming that sex is part of many teenagers' lives. um, shouldn't be.

Not my cup of tea, nor are the collage illustrations. Oh, well.
earthy
Dec 14, 2009 earthy rated it it was ok
Shelves: ya
Great title, not very great content. I appreciate a sassy narrative voice as much as the next girl, but this one seemed unnecessarily negative. The mini essays have no real order to them and no really coherent statement to make. The art is interesting, but I've seen the format done better by author/artists like Sabrina Ward Harrison.

In short, the content doesn't live up to its nifty title. Too bad.
Sally
Jul 08, 2010 Sally rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction, young-adult
This book looked like something that was thrown together on a whim. It lacked relevant content and had no edifying or redeeming value. I read a library copy because the title caught my attention, and I am grateful that it took no more than a few minutes to get through it.
Ever
Mar 20, 2009 Ever rated it it was amazing
I really love this. There is enough material here to make you laugh, or annoy you, or feel bad, or think "Thank the gods there's someone out there who thinks the same way I do!". I just wish it was longer!
Monica Edinger
Feb 16, 2009 Monica Edinger rated it really liked it
Very different, but so cool.
Jessa Franco
Jul 11, 2014 Jessa Franco rated it liked it
The book has no plot, specific tips, or even advice columns. Each page of the book is devoted to a different topic or a different method of approaching the topic. The book discusses a lot of issues in a young girl’s life, such as self-esteem, sex, fighting with their mom, the environment, beauty and much more. Each of the issues also includes the author’s opinion. Although the book is opinionated, it mirrors the opinions most teens have about the topic. In addition, she includes inspirational, ...more
Jill Pickle
Nov 06, 2014 Jill Pickle rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya
The anti-Seventeen: it's formatted as a magazine, but brutally challenges prevailing wisdom that teens are so often force-fed like, "you have to love yourself before anyone can love you." ("Like" is good enough, says Rosenwald.) It's Seventeen for sarcastic, trendsetting, backlash-loving kids, mixed with tell-all confessions. (She wears makeup religiously! Gasp!) All with one simple, hidden message: Be your f***ing self.
Colleenish
A colorful book with zany illustrations. It reminds me of 70s art and illustration. I LOVE the author's use of collages in her art and how she turns her rants and everyday whims into a book.
Kricket
Apr 04, 2013 Kricket rated it really liked it
Shelves: hiiiilarious, art, 2013
a fun irreverent book of collages by laurie rosenwald that poke fun at teen magazines. i laughed out loud many times while reading, for example here:

"Join the purple movement! Ten purple things you can do:
Thing 1:
I hate lists like this. Here's what you can do with your *&%##@*!@ list:
Thing 2:
DON'T TELL PEOPLE WHAT TO DO!"

and so on.

many of the other reviews of this book are also making me laugh out loud many times while reading. "are these the messages we want to be giving to young ladies?" h
Sudi
May 11, 2012 Sudi rated it really liked it
In bold, artistic, colorful strokes, author Laurie Rosenwald offers an irreverent view of being a teenager. With funny anecdotes, short poems, and humorous lists, this is a fun page turner for adult and teen alike. Rosenwald put this book together as an artistic piece and it works on many levels. This book is a post-modern new-millenium answer to "Chicken Soup for the Soul." Instead of feel good articles and stories, it's a bold statement in quick colorful blurbs. Fun and freeing.
Robynn
Sep 29, 2009 Robynn rated it liked it
An advice book with some great bits and some funny bits. But then some of the bits I was rather unhappy about. Her message at some points was not the message I would want given to young ladies or for that matter to anyone. However, I really believe that if parents are doing their very best then the young people they are bringing up can make good judgements about what is wise and what is not wise. We all have to do that all the time for all of our lives.
Bunny
Apr 30, 2009 Bunny rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone over 13
Recommended to Bunny by: I wish I knew
Shelves: read-in-09
How did I hear about this book? I'm honestly curious now. This is seriously awesome. It's YA, but I think any female over the age of 13 needs to read this. I say 13 only because there is a small bit of language. Not to mention the part about how babies are made. You know, how sex involves electrical sockets and the like.

Seriously, short and easy and visually appealing. Look it up.

Ubalstecha
Mar 10, 2011 Ubalstecha rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2011-reads
This is a very weird book. It is supposedly written for teenage girls, and certainly, the chaotic, 5 second sound-bite nature of the work might appeal to some of that demographic. Author Rosenwald has illustrated her rants and homilies with collages. In fact, there are times that the reader thinks the only reason for this book is the collages. The text is secondary.

A little disappointing.
Tamara
Aug 24, 2009 Tamara rated it really liked it
Recommended to Tamara by: Becky
Fun and random.

Favorite Quotes:

The trouble with love is that pets don't last long enough and people last too long.

I taught my cats to spoon. They're from Queens so they picked it up right away.

Things to say when you don't know what to say: I'll have to talk to my horse about it.

Some believe sex is where babies come from, but we now know that babies come from France.

paula
OH. MAGAD! This book includes: 1) a DIY update on the Ian Dury song "Reasons to be Cheerful" 2) an advice for teens Mad Lib 3) some French and 4) thru 122) many many more useful and funny and brilliantly colored things.

PLUS it starts out by saying that nobody interesting ISN'T plagued by doubt. Yeah. Word. This is the NUTS.
Peacegal
Sep 29, 2011 Peacegal rated it it was ok
Good (and truthful) title, and a fairly creative (if somewhat dated-looking) artwork style. As for the content…meh. The artist just seemed to hurl everything on the pages without bothering to see what stuck (or fit). The running gag about being a “vegetarian who eats meat” was unfunny the first time around.
Kelly
Aug 11, 2009 Kelly rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, srp-2009
Graphically Delicious!

Each new page held colors and pictures more enthralling than the last one.

Funny quotes and stories mixed with messages than everyone (not just teen girls) ought to hear and take to heart.

This book will leave a smile on your heart and a spring in your step.
Kealsey
May 18, 2013 Kealsey rated it did not like it
Shelves: unreadabley-bad
This has the most disturbingly wrong message I've ever seen in a book (especially marketed towards young people). 'Don't be what society tells you to be,' it assures you. 'Don't even be what you want to be, be this cool counter-culture girl I've just discovered because being yourself is overrated.'
Rebecca
Aug 18, 2009 Rebecca rated it liked it
Recommends it for: high school and up
So fun. Tamara, you need to read this. Lots of dark humor and digs at pop culture (which will become dated fast, but are still funny). Collage format.

I liked the pages "why do all the wrong people have self-esteem," "best poem ever," and "far-out things to say instead of AMAZING or AWESOME."
Tracy
Apr 15, 2009 Tracy rated it did not like it
Shelves: teen, non-fiction
Hmm, what to say. Well, this book got really good reviews and had a catchy title so I thought I'd give it a try. Although there were a few nuggets of wisdom to be gleaned and the layout and design was cool, it really wasn't worth the time I spent reading it.
Donna
Mar 12, 2009 Donna rated it it was amazing
Shelves: teen, humor, nonfiction
This is a hilarious book full of colorful collage art, irreverant humor, lists of pet peeves, confessions, and DIY advice. If you've ever: fought with your mother, been kicked out of class, or been caught shoplifting then this book may be for you.
P
Jul 01, 2009 P rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult
An interesting book. I think that is suitable for teens with open minded parents. Educational. If I was recommending this book to a young person, I would be sure to have discussion time available for after the book was read.
Jeanette Johnson
May 06, 2015 Jeanette Johnson rated it it was ok
Shelves: young-adult
Disjointed jumble of subjects. This is supposed to appeal to teens and I thought the best part of the book was the college work of the pages. I couldn't find the humor in most of it although the subject headings had some appeal.
Janie
Aug 30, 2011 Janie rated it liked it
I really like her idea that interesting people have doubts. But, I just didn't get a lot of the book. I think I'm too old for her demographic and I think she's just venting but disguising it as guidance for young women.
Anne
Jun 27, 2009 Anne rated it really liked it
I wish something like this had already been in existence when I was a teenager. It would have made life a lot easier. At 26 I really enjoy the art and the humor of the book.
Lisa
Sep 07, 2009 Lisa rated it liked it
Shelves: humor, art, values
How can you not love the title of this irreverent book? With collage and tongue firmly planted in cheek Rosenwald has created a fun take on self-help books.
Jessica
May 08, 2009 Jessica rated it it was ok
The back of this book really caught my attention. I thought it was going to be more interesting than it was. It was just kind of weird and boring.
Lupine
Feb 09, 2009 Lupine rated it really liked it
Appealing for the younger teen. Some of it is a little toungue in cheek and I am willing to be the moms will enjoy it as well.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Appetite for Detention
  • On Kissing, Tickling, and Being Bored: Psychoanalytic Essays on the Unexamined Life
  • Kakapo Rescue: Saving the World's Strangest Parrot
  • The Last Asylum: A Memoir of Madness in our Times
  • Eyes Wide Open
  • Habit
  • I Can't Keep My Own Secrets: Six-Word Memoirs by Teens Famous & Obscure
  • Speaking for Myself: The Autobiography
  • The Anne Frank Case: Simon Wiesenthal's Search for the Truth
  • The Fun Stuff: And Other Essays
  • Ida M. Tarbell: The Woman Who Challenged Big Business—and Won!
  • Lines: A Brief History
  • Mermaid Queen: The Spectacular True Story Of Annette Kellerman, Who Swam Her Way To Fame, Fortune & Swimsuit History!
  • The Fix
  • Letters in the Attic
  • Luck: What It Means and Why It Matters
  • The Blind Giant
  • Post-it Note Diaries: 20 Stories of Youthful Abandon, Embarrassing Mishaps, and Everyday Adventure
Laurie Rosenwald was born in Manhattan and feels sorry for people who visit New York and don't know anybody who can show them the backstreets. An accomplished illustrator and designer, she has worked with such clients as IKEA, Coca-Cola, and Nickelodeon. Her illustrations have appeared in The New Yorker and the New York Times.

More about Laurie Rosenwald...