Start by marking “At A Time Like This” as Want to Read:
At A Time Like This

At A Time Like This

3.1 of 5 stars 3.10  ·  rating details  ·  100 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Four women gather to celebrate their friendship. A quarter-century of intimacies shared, betrayals survived, differences reconciled.

There is Claire, with her unsuitable men; she knows that life will never give her the one thing she has always wanted. Nora, the perfect housewife, has kept something hidden from her friends for over twenty-five years. Maggie has been unhappil
Published April 1st 2008 by Pan Publishing (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about At A Time Like This, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about At A Time Like This

IlariaTa
Da divorare quando ti vuoi allontanare dal mondo e ti serve qualcosa di appassionante, ma non impegnativo, che sai portai leggere tutto d'un fiato - perché non hai altri impegni, se non quello di stare sprofondata nella poltrona fino all'ultima riga.

"Se stasera siamo qui" è stato il libro perfetto per me, per il momento in cui l'ho letto.
Claudia Sesto
"....Sento ancora l'amarezza che invase la stanza quella sera, quando ognuno di noi si trovò a contemplare l'intrico di perdite, sofferenze e di mezze verità che avremmo dovuto attraversare nei mesi, forse negli anni a venire."
Quattro amiche si ritrovano e fanno il punto su ciò che hanno vissuto insieme.
Leggendo scopriremo che dietro al loro grande rapporto di amicizia si nascondono gelosie, invidie, segreti, ma anche tanta complicità, intesa e alleanze, un racconto degno dei migliori telefim a
Roberta
Incostante e incompiuto

Mi aspettavo molto da questo romanzo. Mi aspettavo un'intima descrizione della quotidianità femminile, limpidezza di scrittura e armonia di intreccio.
Purtroppo questa storia di quattro amiche (una delle quali fra l'altro non è nemmeno un'amica, ma un'intrusa) non raggiunge lo scopo. Un po' confusionario nella sua coralità, il romanzo parte in sordina per poi acquistare velocità grazie ai misteri di cui l'autrice costella la vita delle nostre eroine.
Il ritmo di lettura aume
Federica
Four women, who know each other since they were young, tell the story of their friendship and relationship from their own personal point of view. They are now in their forties and a lot has happend since the time they were children (Georgie and Maggie) and University students (Claire and Nora).

While I was reading I sometimes felt like the 5th friend who listens to the stories and problems of the other 4 women and sometimes I identified myself with one or the other depending on the situation.

Wh
Windy
At first I wasn't sure I was enjoying this story of 4 women, spanning 25 years. I wasn't warming to the characters and found their worries a bit shallow.
However, as each woman tells the story from her viewpoint, sometimes repeating episodes, I became more compelled to find out the secrets each woman was guarding.

Because they each speak with their own voice the characters are clearly drawn and I found myself liking two of them a lot and disliking the other two. I always believe an author does we
Sue Hunter
The ups and downs of friendships.

4 women initially meet at university. After university they go in their separate directions, they decide to keep in touch, with regular evenings together.

The four women are really quite different characters, and this sometimes leads to friction. Secrets may or may not be shared, and sometimes judgements are made not knowing the full story. The biggest secret, kept for a couple of decades, makes everyone completely re-evaluate their feelings about Nora.

There are
Anna Rossi
Le storie di quattro donne che si intrecciano. Quattro modi diversi di vedere la vita e l'amore.
Un sottile gioco tra segreti e mezze verità, mentre il filo dell'amicizia continua a legare i loro destini e loro scelte.
Kat A
Another book from the Irish short stories compilation. Good story, intriguing ending, but ultimately a book for 40 something women. I'm just not there yet. I found I couldn't relate to the characters very well, with their marriage and children trials and tribulations. It's sad, I've grown out of the 20 something chick lit, but there doesn't seem to be anything between that and the 40 something wife and mother stories. The four women have incredible bonds, but I guess I am looking for more of a S ...more
Elalma
Eravamo quattro amiche al bar ma certo non volevamo cambiare il mondo. Questa � stata la prima impressione leggendo il libro che scorre via veloce, perch� naturalmente le vicende si accavallano e a tutti piace guardare un po' dal buco della serratura le vite altrui. Cos� si assiste al solito clich� delle amiche -non amiche, un po' invidiose, poco casalinghe, forse, ma certo anche disperate. Diverte, fa trascorrere il tempo ma lascia davvero poco
Judith Yeabsley
A book very close to home with 4 women who have been friends since their early 20's and are now in their 40's. I found though that their lack of honesty and concern for each other reduced the value of them and their friendships. It was a good book and I would read more of the author's but I am disappointed the women although complex were essentially so shallow emotionally.
Victoria (vikz writes)
This book would be Okay of you like this sort of novel. But, I don't. If you like light women's fiction, then this is for you. However, it's not quite my thing. So, I'll give it 2
Marina
si legge bene e si vuole sapere come va a finire. storie di 4 donne che si intrecciano, amiche ognuna con una sua personalità e una sua vita
Vrinda Pendred
I'm amazed at what a poor rating this book has received. It's not stellar by any means, but it was quite good for what it is - definitely enjoyable.
Hazel McHaffie
A good example of a writer slowly unravelling her characters (four women friends) but as a whole this one didn't really appeal to me.
Sian Taylor
Good story, but with a completely unbelievable ending. The twist at the end just didn't sit well at all.
Cecilia
I surprisingly really liked the book, but I think the finale was a little bit rushed.
Louise H
A good story with an interesting twist at the end.
Roberto
Roberto marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2014
Greta
Greta marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2014
Marzia Tas
Marzia Tas marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2014
Jacqui Hadden
Jacqui Hadden marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2014
Dorte
Dorte added it
Jul 29, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Catherine Dunne (born 1954) is an Irish author. She was born in Dublin and studied English and Spanish at Trinity College, Dublin, before becoming a teacher.

Dunne is the author of the novels In the Beginning (Jonathan Cape, 1997), A Name for Himself (Jonathan Cape, 1998), The Walled Garden (Pan, 2000), Another Kind of Life (Picador, 2003), Something Like Love (Macmillan, 2006), At a Time Like This
More about Catherine Dunne...
La metà di niente Set in Stone Something Like Love Missing Julia The Walled Garden