Start by marking “Drummer Boy” as Want to Read:
Drummer Boy

Drummer Boy

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  136 ratings  ·  30 reviews
In a wintry little town, a drummer boy appears on a child?s doorstep. And when it is still and quiet, the drummer boy plays, boom pum pum boom pum, and warms the child?s heart. But one day the drummer boy is accidentally knocked into the trash, sending him on a journey he never imagined?a journey on which he continues to play his drum, warming the hearts of others, from a ...more
Published October 2nd 2008 by Philomel Books

To ask other readers questions about Drummer Boy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Drummer Boy

Melanie
Beautifully illustrated and written story book. I found it very engaging. Then on one particular page I felt particularly moved and got emotional thinking about Christmas, family and my past. I wasn't expecting that in a children's storybook. Then I flipped the page and as I read the words I struggled to keep my voice even for my children. They didn't notice my eyes were filled with tears. By the next page I'd controlled myself and managed to finish the book. It is a simple and beautiful story. ...more
Kristine Pratt
The story of a little drummer boy who goes on one long journey after another, giving his all to play for whomever he meets. Sweet with beautiful illustrations. This book is large enough for reading aloud to several children at once, with a heartwarming conclusion that makes you long for Christmas to come.
Shelli
Drummer Boy is a beautifully illustrated Christmas book to share with your children during the holidays. Readers and listeners will become vested in what will become of the little soldier boy as fate takes him to various interesting locations and circumstances.
Linda Lipko
A simple tale filled with child-like delight. When a mysterious package arrives on the little boy's doorstep, inside he discovers a marvelous drummer boy. When by accident, the drummer boy is swept away in the garbage, the drummer boy makes a long journey, meeting many animals to guide him, he eventually returns and plays for baby Jesus.

The illustrations in this book are magical and marvelous!

Joel
This is quick, fun picture book to share with young audiences during the holidays. The storyline is centered around the adventures of a toy drummer boy. The toy is moved around in a chain of "cause-and-effect" type events that eventually lead it back to its rightful owner. The illustrations are very colorful and pleasing, plus the text is lovingly spliced with onomatopoeia (boom, pum, pum, boom).

Perfect for storytelling events at libraries and in the classroom. Fine arts teachers may find it com
Marcia
A beautifully illustrated picture book of a small toy drummer boy who warms the heart of those he meets. The idea of a toy being dropped or carried through a landscape is vaguely familiar, and of course he ends up where he started. But kids will enjoy it, and the drumming refrain, "Boom pum pum boom pun" will allow them to participate. It is a Christmas book and the drummer boy visits the manger on teh mantel where he plays for Baby Jesus-tying us back to the familiar carol and the best gift we ...more
Diane
I love the artwork of Loren Long.
Teresa
This is a wonderful Christmas story about the little drummer boy. A boy receives the little drummer boy but he accidentally gets lost and the little drummer boy makes his way all around the city. The little drummer boy plays for all those he meets with his repetitive drumming sequence. Great story to use with drum props for students to interact at the same time.
Neil
Notes: The Drummer Boy, by Loren Long has great illustrations.

Book Review: The Drummer Boy goes on quite a journey warming the hearts of others from children to a rat to an owl. The drummer boy even plays to the baby in a manger. This book has great illustrations.

Recommend: I would recommend this book to students in grades 1-3.
Beth
The drummer boy toy falls into the trash can and has a long journey from the city dump, to time with the owl, a bell tow, snow, a dog, snowman, and raccoon. His stop at the graveyard actually reunites the toy with his owner at his grandfather's tombstone. The boy gives the drummer boy a spot at his manger.
Tricia
beautiful art highlights story of a little drummer boy toy that experiences an adventure as he is brushed into the trash can by the family dog, taken from the dump by an owl and eventually (and oh so cheesily) ends up at the grave of his former little boy owner's grandpa.
Emily
I chose this for pre-winter break storytime because I love the story of The Steadfast Tin Soldier, as well as Loren Long. I didn't think it would be quite as sad as it was - it definitely caught both the kids and I off guard, but we all loved the story anyway.
Kelly
Apr 06, 2011 Kelly added it
Shelves: picture-book
3.5 stars. The illustrations are brilliant - bright, bold, detailed, showing emotions. My favorite is probably of the snowman. But the story was either too long or uninteresting or just took away from the pictures. 5 stars for the illus, 2 for the story.
Reepacheep
"Drummer Boy" is a very good read-aloud story. The artwork is beautiful and the telling of the story, while progressing predictably, is well crafted. My two young boys enjoyed sitting and listening to me read this to them.
Holly
This picture book would make a good companion to Edward Tulane. When a toy drummer boy accidently falls into the trash, he goes on a scary journey. In the true spirit of Christmas, he ends up back where he belongs.
Rose Ann
A beautiful picture book about a little toy drummer boy at Christmastime. I don't care for that song (YOU know which one I mean!) but this is a new, different presentation of the idea. Lovely. Highly recommended.
Jim
I think this is a sequel to Where Is Grandpa? .
Karen
Our newest addition to our Christmas book stack - we just got around to reading it. Sweet, quiet story - really enjoyed it, especially the ending.
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
The little drummer boy gets knocked about, carried off to a garbage dump and the top of a big city, until he finally returns back home. Ages 5-10.
Erroll Treslan
If you buy one book for your kids for Christmas (and already have the Night Before Christmas, as illustrated by Mary Engelbreit), this should be it.
Susan
Beautiful, dramatic, poignant illustrations from Loren Long. I found the story, despite teh happy ending, very sad and dark.
Teri
Beautiful illustrations. Sweet story that will give you the Christmas spirit and make your heart feel warm. LOVE this book!
heidi.
Beautiful retelling of the Little Drummer boy, mixed a bit with the Steadfast tin soldier.
Loved the artwork as well.
Tony Petry
Very good children's book. It has a great story to it and amazing artwork. This is a must read and a must own book.
Julia
Very sweet story. Doesn't feel contrived like many Christmas books do. Beautiful artwork as well.
brian tanabe
Had to buy this for the illustrations!

I absolutely loved seeing this 50% off a few days later...
Jen
Oct 08, 2012 Jen rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: pb
This book was ok. I liked the pictures, the story was hard to believe, inspirational.
Alice
Reminded me also of Steadfast Tin Soldier
Zack
Great art, too religious for storytime.
PWRL
  • You Can Do It, Sam
  • The Carpenter's Gift: A Christmas Tale about the Rockefeller Center Tree
  • Lyle and the Birthday Party
  • If I Built a Car
  • I'll Be Home For Christmas (Toot & Puddle)
  • Regards to the Man in the Moon
  • The Spirit of Christmas
I grew up in Lexington, Kentucky in the 1970’s. We had no artists of any kind in the family. We didn’t know any artists. I liked sports, especially baseball. My mother read to me a lot. But I have to admit, my favorite subject in school was gym class. I also liked to draw. My parents encouraged me to keep drawing.
More about Loren Long...
Otis Otis and the Tornado Otis and the Puppy An Otis Christmas Otis and the Scarecrow