An Island Far from Home (Adventures in Time)

An Island Far from Home (Adventures in Time)

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  27 ratings  ·  5 reviews
The twelve-year-old son of a Union army doctor killed during the fighting in Fredericksburg comes to understand the meaning of war and the fine line between friends and enemies when he begins corresponding with a young Confederate prisoner of war.
Published June 1st 1997 by Carolrhoda Books (first published October 1st 1994)

Kellyn
Joshua Loring desperately wants to join the Union Army to avenge his father’s death in the battle at Fredericksburg. Joshua however is only 12 and an only child. His uncle, Robert, is an officer for the Union. Robert commands Fort Warren on an island across from Boston. At Fort Warren Robert meets a 14-year-old soldier from Alabama who was captured by the Union at a battle in Tennessee. Grudgingly Joshua begins writing to John, the young prisoner.

After Lee surrenders at Appomatox, Joshua wants...more
Chase Mata
May 06, 2014 Chase Mata rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everybody
Recommended to Chase by: myself
I really enjoyed the story, mainly because of when it took place and the plot of the story. Some reason i really enjoyed this book is because i could really relate to some of the characters, like Joshua Loring because of how he does what he thinks is right even with the consequences they might bring. i would recommend this story to anyone who likes a little adventure, friendship and a little bit of history.
Elaine
Jun 12, 2008 Elaine rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anybody who likes civil war fiction
Review from 2004

An Island Far From Home is one of my favorite books. I really like civil war things, so I like the way this was during that time. The ending is great! There are too many characters to pick a favorite. Hogan can get away with anything. He has a funny way of lying. Like when he tells Josh to write 18 on a piece of paper and put it on the bottom of his shoe so that way shen he says he's over 18 he's not really lying. I could read this book again and again.
Leah Lemon
This is a book is historical fiction that takes place during the Civil War. It is about a boy in the North writing to a rebel prisoner at a fort near his house. It has a blend of genres in it as well, since the boys are writing letters back and forth to each other, but you do not here the whole story through letters. There is narration around the letters. I would use this book to give my students an idea of what life was like during the Civil War.
Jori Richardson
Younger kids might enjoy this book more than I did, but I found it too childish, and boring besides.
It is about a boy during the Civil War who begins writing letters to a boy his age - an enemy prisoner.
But nothing much ever happens, and the climax (if you can call it that) is disappointing. There are much better Civil War or children's books you can find to read.
Jamie
Azriel4161
Azriel4161 marked it as to-read
May 22, 2014
Jon
Jon marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2014
Grok Testuser
Grok Testuser is currently reading it
Dec 13, 2013
Tim Saad
Tim Saad is currently reading it
Nov 15, 2013
Christine Gordon
Christine Gordon marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2013
Kayla
Kayla marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2013
Dude
Dude marked it as to-read
May 19, 2013
Yinzadi
Yinzadi marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2012
Howard Amber
Howard Amber marked it as to-read
Oct 28, 2012
Aubree
Aubree added it
Oct 28, 2012
John Donahue lives in Massachusetts.
More about John Donahue...
The Gospel of Mark An Island Far from Home Till Tomorrow Pentecost 1 Gospel in Parable: Metaphor, Narrative and Theology in the Synoptic Gospels