Start by marking “With Full Purpose of Heart” as Want to Read:
With Full Purpose of Heart

With Full Purpose of Heart

4.34  ·  Rating Details  ·  122 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
A collection of sermons and addresses given by Elder Dallin H. Oaks, former President of Brigham Young University, and justice of the Utah Supreme Court, and now a member of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, one of the governing bodies of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Mormon Church). Elder Oaks presented these at various sessions of the LDS General Conf ...more
Unknown Binding, 225 pages
Published January 1st 2002 by Shadow Mountain

To ask other readers questions about With Full Purpose of Heart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about With Full Purpose of Heart

Marla Milligan
Nov 20, 2013 Marla Milligan rated it really liked it
Dallin H. Oaks is an apostle in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. This book is a compilation of articles he has written or talks he has given. He was President of Brigham Young University and on the Utah Supreme Court. He talks about his life experiences and shares numerous scriptures to help us in daily life. I liked this book and it made me look at some things differntly and want to be a better person.
Heather
Dec 14, 2015 Heather rated it it was amazing
Shelves: religious
I really loved this book! So many wonderful quotes and thoughts and lessons from Elder Oaks! All of the topics and principles are central to the messages of Jesus Christ and having faith in Him and living His teachings. My favorite chapter was about being a witness of Christ and Elder Oaks' very clear call to each of us to be a witness of Jesus Christ - to teach and testify of Him and live our lives according to His teachings. It is becoming evermore important in the world today. As we remember ...more
Jocelyn
Sep 10, 2009 Jocelyn rated it liked it
Although 1) the whole book has wonderful truths in it and much to learn from, and 2) there were some excellent parts that I even dog-eared to save for future reference, I have to admit, this was harder for me to finish than most other church books I've read. (Yes, embarassingly, it took me over a year. Granted, I was also mothering, working part-time, and moving across the country, but...) That is the only reason I gave the book 3 stars rather than higher. I am more of a John Bytheway, Sheri Dew ...more
Julie
Jul 22, 2013 Julie rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013, non-fiction
This book is a series of talks written or given by Oaks in the Ensign or at Brigham Young University. The book focuses on Christ, how we see him and as members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Later Day Saints what we should do about it.

As he states at the beginning there is nothing new here. The first chapter is called What Think Ye of Christ? then he builds from there. I felt like I had been looking at a color wheel. We started in one color (or topic) and with the next chapter the colors shift
John
Oct 16, 2015 John rated it really liked it
A collection of his addresses from the past - all good (really)
Sofi Carpenter
Jan 27, 2009 Sofi Carpenter rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lds-religion
I just finished rereading this book and I liked it better the second time around. I find that to be true of all great literature--it gets better with time. This book is a collection of gems by Elder Oaks--talks that he has given at conference or devotionals at BYU. He is one of my all-time favorite GA speakers because his talks are very inspirational, logical, succinct and very applicable to our day. This book is a keeper-great as a reference book in a myriad of gospel topics.
Jen
Nov 09, 2008 Jen rated it it was ok
I think I'm gonna get struck by lightning for only giving 2 stars to this book, but I have to be honest.... It wasn't one of my favorite church books. I found myself skimming quite a bit of it at times because it was putting me to sleep. Of course the messages in it are important truths, but I have read similar subjects that have been written and presented in a much more interesting way.
Sorry but it's the truth!
goddess
Sep 27, 2008 goddess rated it it was amazing
Shelves: religion, own
One of my favorite speakers and authors, Dallin H. Oaks comes through with a fabulous compilation of talks.....ranging in topics from the Atonement, revelation, timing, powerful ideas, and taking upon ourselves the name of Christ. Very insightful and thought-provoking; points were made that had never crossed my mind. This book will definitely be a resource for future questions and talks.
Sam  Bright
Dec 11, 2012 Sam Bright rated it really liked it
Shelves: church-religious
This started out slow but there were some great talks toward the end. Six definitions of salvation, sins vs. mistakes, weightier matters, and the talk on timing were highlights for me. Lots of good stuff. Always recommend reading a good church book, so this gets a thumbs up. 4.25 stars.
David
Jun 18, 2011 David rated it it was amazing
Dallin H. Oaks is a master. He writes in a way that is difficult, maybe even impossible, to disagree with. Furthermore, he's unafraid of the subjects that may make us squirm - dependence on the Lord in a church that teaches independence, for example. This is terrific stuff.
Helena
Jan 12, 2008 Helena rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lds
Dallin H. Oaks is one of my very favorite people to learn from. His words are so clear and easy to understand for me. I really felt closer to the Lord after reading this book and I was able to look at life with a different perspective.
James Hofheins
Jan 05, 2012 James Hofheins rated it really liked it
Learning great perspectives of how I can be a better Christian and Latter-day Saint. In totality, these ideas are incredibly helpful to me. Chapter by chapter. Especially the final chapter called, "Timing".
Kelsey
May 21, 2009 Kelsey rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
It's Dallin H. Oaks....what's not to like? This is a collection of his talks mainly focusing on the Savior, but with other topics as well. It includes some of my all-time favorites.
Matt
Jan 10, 2009 Matt rated it it was amazing
This is an awesome book. Should have gotten more attention when it was published. Elder Oaks has such an incisive mind and is so good at articulating the subtleties of the gospel.
Vanessa
Jun 11, 2008 Vanessa rated it really liked it
This was a great read. Elder Oaks has a way of phrasing ideas that helps me to see broader picture.
Danni
Sep 05, 2013 Danni rated it it was amazing
What a cool book. I loved it. It is just a bunch of talks by Dallin H. Oaks. What a spiritual uplift.
Steven
Nov 23, 2011 Steven rated it it was amazing
Awesume book. It explains doctrines of the gospel so that anyone can understand them.
Colleen
Feb 01, 2008 Colleen rated it really liked it
Shelves:
Started reading it last year and got sidetracked.
I am starting to read it again.
Spencer
Jan 25, 2009 Spencer rated it it was amazing
A compilation of Oaks great sermons and discourses. I enjoyed it thoroughly.
Diana
Apr 27, 2011 Diana rated it really liked it
Great collection of talks given by Elder Oakes mostly from BYU devotionals.
Rex
Sep 09, 2007 Rex rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lds
Fabulous book. Elder Oaks is as usual very insightful and spot-on.
Brenda
Miikey
Aug 20, 2009 Miikey rated it liked it
Excellent
Krista
Krista rated it really liked it
Apr 25, 2016
Marcell
Marcell marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2016
Missy
Missy marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2016
Michael Stanly
Michael Stanly rated it really liked it
Apr 08, 2016
Danika
Danika marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2016
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2016
  • The Promise of Discipleship
  • A Witness and a Warning: A Modern-Day Prophet Testifies of the Book of Mormon
  • Teachings of Gordon B. Hinckley
  • A New Witness for the Articles of Faith
  • Strengthening Our Families: An In-Depth Look at the Proclamation on the Family
  • The Message of the Joseph Smith Papyri: An Egyptian Endowment (The Collected Works of Hugh Nibley, Volume 16)
  • Gospel Doctrine: Sermons and Writings of President Joseph F. Smith (Classics in Mormon Literature)
  • Because He First Loved Us
  • Book of Mormon Reference Companion
Dallin Harris Oaks is an American attorney, jurist and religious leader. Since 1984, he has been a member of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS Church). He is a former professor of law at the University of Chicago Law School, a former president of Brigham Young University, and a former justice of the Utah Supreme Court. In the 1970s and 1980s, ...more
More about Dallin H. Oaks...