Teaching Adolescent Writers

Teaching Adolescent Writers

4.35 of 5 stars 4.35  ·  rating details  ·  460 ratings  ·  65 reviews
In an increasingly demanding world of literacy, it has become critical that students know how to write effectively. From the requirements of standardized tests to those of the wired workplace, the ability to write well, once a luxury, has become a necessity. Many students are leaving school without the necessary writing practice and skills needed to compete in a complex an...more
Published January 1st 2006 by Stenhouse Publishers

Jenny Mason
I think this book is really helpful for teachers of any content area. He gives a lot of important information to consider when trying to get students writing, and writing at a deeper level. Students need to be shown by their teachers how to write in their specific content area. It's not just up to the English teachers to teach students how to write. Each subject area requires a different kind of writing, and teachers need to teach kids how to write for specific purposes in their areas. There are...more
Joel
I'm certainly not one to read teaching books all the time, but I enjoyed a lot of what Gallagher had to say. Like any teaching guidebook, there are a mix of good usable ideas, ideas that don't fit my style or capture my interests, and ideas that would be great in a perfect world, but there are enough of the first type that I felt very encouraged and energized with new ideas to implement in my teaching. I was especially glad to be reminded of the importance of feedback before the final draft, som...more
Jason Lilly
One of the best books I have ever read for teachers who are looking for successful writing strategies to help their students improve their literacy skills. So many books of this type offer generic strategies, such as writing prompts or thesis driven five-paragraph outlines. This book, however, does not ignore the person behind the writer and shares strategies that allow students freedom to choose their topics and build genuine and useful works of writing. Most importantly, it stresses to student...more
Eliza
Finally a book that didnt make me roll my eyes and think "Yeah right, like that's going to work with my middle school kids!" I love how the book is written, so simple and straight foward and practical! This is a definite must for all Middle School and High School teachers. And, its a great find just before I transition into High school next year!
Carrie
Kelly Gallagher does a great job of encouraging those in the teaching profession to help students write well, but also to enjoy the process. Every chapter made me want to run to some English classroom and begin teaching. I highly recommend it.
Carrie
I think I have determined that I have a Teacher-Crush on Kelly Gallagher! His writing just seems to speak to me in all of the ways that I want to become a better teacher in the classroom. This book, like Deeper Reading, is straightforward and rife with Gallagher's experiences in the classroom. I always feel like a pirate as I incorporate other educator's ideas into my own lessons, but I see from the extensive pedagogical reading I have done lately, that I am not alone. I have been moving towards...more
Brian Kelley
What strikes me about Kelly Gallagher's book is how thorough it is--by that I do not mean to suggest cumbersome and extraneous. I mean here is somebody who not only clearly articulates and well-support belief, but explains how he covers it in his classes and offers ideas as to how you might cover it in your class.

Everything I read in this book is absolutely adaptable to any class at any grade level.

He begins with a spot-on metaphor of what is happening in our world. The explosion of technology i...more
goddess
One of the best educator books I've seen. Gallagher is interesting, inspiring, funny, and knows his stuff. He presents it in a way that is focused, and you feel like you can use his ideas right away....many of which I have.

The author begins the book with a scenario: A stampede of bulls is coming at you. What do you do? He then aligns a writing scenario with the bull one: You are facing a world of increasing information; the ability to read and write will determine how far you will go in this wor...more
Mark Bratkowski
I agree with much of what Kelly Gallagher has to say in Teaching Adolescent Writers. The concept of the teacher is a master writer is not new to me, but honestly, something about which I had forgotten. I agree that going through the writing process with students is a good way to model skills and what you expect; also, it is a good way to show them that you make mistakes as a writer too. I have found that my writing skills are diminishing from lack of use. Most of what I currently is directions...more
Newengland
When it comes to books about teaching, I separate the worthy and the unworthy based on an imaginary index called the "concrete ideas" barometer. This one is on the higher side, so it's worth adding to your repertoire of books on teaching writing. Although the underlying ideals are nothing new, many of the strategies come right out of Kelly Gallagher's room (yes, he's still a full-time teacher) giving the book a ring of authenticity.

Gallagher is a write-beside-them kind of guy. He frowns upon "Gr...more
Nate
This is an easily digestible, mostly sensible approach to writing instruction. Gallagher offers many practical strategies that address revision, particularly craft and editing problems, grading, and how to increase student "buy-in" for writing assignments. I found his student generated rubric and independent correction sheet ideas intriguing, but ask me in a few months how practical they are in the classroom. My biggest complaint is the absence of research and creative writing instructional stra...more
Debbie
Gallagher's book has made me rethink all the ineffectual things I was doing while teaching and grading essays - grading at the end, spending hours making comments they don't read, teaching grammar and editing with worksheets and activities from the textbook, even giving prompts - and puts it all on its head. Truly, I have been mostly wasting my time! He offers reasons and methods for breaking down prompts, getting the kids' attitudes about writing to come around, modeling writing, grading and as...more
GNOWP
Mar 12, 2010 GNOWP added it
Kelly shares a number of classroom-tested strategies that enable teachers to:

understand the importance of teaching writing;
motivate young writers;
see the importance modeling plays in building young writers (modeling from both the teacher and from real-world text);
understand how providing choice elevates adolescent writing (and how to allow for choice within a rigorous curriculum);
help students recognize the importance of purpose and audience;
assess essays in ways that drive better writing perfor...more
Ms. Carlino
A MUST READ for every English teacher.

Teaching Adolescent Writers is by far one of the most practical and helpful books I've read for a secondary English classroom. He has a whole section on Mentor Texts for analytical writing AND samples. The whole thing is full of ideas, lessons, graphic organizers, etc to use. So much of what he says echoes what we covered in the National Writing Project; I can see more clearly how to implement his ideas, especially with the writer's notebook.

He makes the wri...more
Stephanie
By now it's probably pretty obvious to everyone who knows me how much of a Kelly Gallagher fangirl I am, so let's just point out the two major points that make Teaching Adolescent Writers absolutely worth reading. Those two points are his section on teaching revising and assessing student writing. Both of these have been eye-openers for me, especially since I am staring at a staggering pile of 170 personal narratives to grade.
Drew Price
I would love to observe Gallagher in action. He seems to be a great teacher. After reading Readicide and this, I am curious how he squeezes it all in. He asks for 5 pages of writing per week according to this book, and from what I remember of Readicide he advocates lots of independent (student choice) reading in and out of class. He also asks students to analyze at least one non-fiction article each week.

When does he have time to teach literature? This guy must be some type of machine, but I re...more
angrykitty
another book for work. not bad. has some interesting ideas to help students write more. it's sad to think that people don't think to teach writing in other classes outside of english, but i guess everyone still thinks it's the english teachers' job to teach writing.

not bad, but as i read the whole thing, i couldn't help but think that even though it was a book about writing, it never addressed how reading was taken care of with so much class time being devoted to writing....
Rae
Aug 23, 2008 Rae is currently reading it
So far, I've read chapter 1, but I have already become very inspired. Kelly Gallagher is coming to speak to us next week and I will have the whole thing read by then. Around my school, he is a rock star, so we will be screaming and trying to tear for a scrap of his clothing like little girls do for the Jonas Brothers - little girls who are too ignorant to know that the Beatles were worth that, the Jonas Bros. are not.
Susan
Stuck in a rut with teaching writing? Kelly Gallagher can help! After 10 years of teaching, many of Gallagher's idea made me feel new again. I loved his ideas around grading student writing modeling in the classroom. If you want some fresh information that seems so simple...if you want to wonder, why didn't I ever think of that...you want to read this book! Nice, easy read that is well worth your time!
Borax
This is the Gallagher book you should be reading...kids...even the very brightest kids...aren't clear writers. I love how this book pushes you to give them a lot to write about...while at the same time gives a very clear approach on how to workshop their pieces...though I was originally drawn toward the writer's workshop through Kittle's book...I'm finding myself more drawn to Gallagher's ideas.
Kristina
Kelly Gallagher's stuff always blows my mind. Very practical, very detailed, and pure outside-of-the-box teaching. The only problem is I think I'd die trying to implement all of it. However, each of his books always drastically changes at least a few things I do each year. Since Gallagher insists writers write "to create change," I hope he takes comfort in that he succeeds!
Joe
I.Love.This.Book. As a teacher of writing, I believe that Gallagher nails the balance between theory and practice perfectly. There are several strategies that could be implemented in to any classroom--not just an English class--immediately. I have a feeling that fairly soon my copy will fall apart from overuse. Better buy another one for backup.
Vanessa
Lots of helpful ideas here about how to get students motivated and to care about their writing, modeling writing (not just showing students your polished drafts as an example, but also your bad first drafts, and even writing them in front of them), how to manage essay grading in a way that is both meaningful to students and less stressful for teachers, etc.
Mrs. Nicole
Teaching Adolescent Writers was written by a fellow English teacher. The strategies presented in this book were very user friendly and will allow me to implement them immediately in my classroom. Gallagher uses student examples to show the steps he uses to teach the strategies in varying grade levels.
Mama
Some great ideas for inspiring more - and better - writing from our students. I appreciated the real classroom examples and step by step lesson ideas. Very practical stuff, especially the notion that kids need to see their teachers writing regularly, too. Imagine that. Tackling his book "Readicide" next.
Anne
Oct 11, 2009 Anne rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Anne by: anne.kolle@yahoo.com
Again, kudos to this author for his bold yet simple approach to motivating students to do the unthinkable - WRITE - REVISE - REVISE - REVISE - and COMPLETE a creative piece of writing. I'm loving the techniques he uses for revising and do not tire of attacking the same piece over and over.
Heather
I'm in the middle of reading this book and I love it! So far, it has reaffirmed what I am doing in my classroom, as well as giving me lots of new ideas. Very practical. I am even going to see if my principal will let the 6th-8th grades do a book study on it. Great for all content areas.
Niki Green
This is one of my favorite teaching books, EVER. Gallagher does a great job of pairing idealism with realism. He offers great examples of the concepts he introduces. Little of what he says is shockingly new to writing teachers, but he presents it in a fresh way with deeper examples.
Pamela Galloway
This is probably one of the best "teaching writing" books I have read in a long time! I highly recommend it for anyone who teaches secondary writers. There are plenty of examples and templates. Many of the ideas are justified by research or classroom experience.
Michelle Lampinen
Not as good as Readicide, but still practical and inspiring. I'm pretty overwhelmed by the feeling that I now need to overhaul everything I do, but I look forward to finding the right balance. Even if I just use two of Gallagher's ideas, it's still worth the read.
Teachers' Book Club: Teaching Adolescent Writers 1 3 Oct 13, 2011 04:01PM
  • Write Beside Them: Risk, Voice, and Clarity in High School Writing
  • Mechanically Inclined: Building Grammar, Usage, and Style into Writer's Workshop
  • In the Middle: New Understandings about Writing, Reading, and Learning
  • Notebook Know-How: Strategies for the Writer's Notebook
  • The English Teacher's Companion: A Complete Guide to Classroom, Curriculum, and the Profession
  • Holding on to Good Ideas in a Time of Bad Ones: Six Literacy Principles Worth Fighting for
  • What a Writer Needs
  • I Read It, but I Don't Get It: Comprehension Strategies for Adolescent Readers
  • When Kids Can't Read-What Teachers Can Do: A Guide for Teachers 6-12
  • Fresh Takes on Teaching Literary Elements: How to Teach What Really Matters About Character, Setting, Point of View, and Theme
  • Mini-Lessons for Literature Circles
  • The Art of Teaching Reading
  • Real Revision: Authors' Strategies to Share with Student Writers
  • Reading Ladders: Leading Students from Where They Are to Where We'd Like Them to Be
  • 6 + 1 Traits of Writing: The Complete Guide: Grades 3 & Up: Everything You Need to Teach and Assess Student Writing With This Powerful Model
Readicide: How Schools Are Killing Reading and What You Can Do About It Deeper Reading Write Like This Reading Reasons: Motivational Mini-Lessons for Middle and High School Article of the Week