Start by marking “Facing the Giants” as Want to Read:
Facing the Giants

Facing the Giants

4.53 of 5 stars 4.53  ·  rating details  ·  398 ratings  ·  34 reviews
IT'S BEEN SIX YEARS without a winning season and Coach Grant Taylor's job is on the line. Unless the Shiloh Christian Eagles turn things around--and fast--he's history. Unfortunately, their leading scorer has just left for a rival school and the team has lost its drive. The pressure is on.

On the home front, things aren't much better for Grant. His house is falling apart. H...more
Published September 4th 2007 by Thomas Nelson Publishers (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Facing the Giants, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Facing the Giants

Leaper by Geoffrey  WoodThe God Cookie by Geoffrey  WoodGreater Than Rubies by Hallee BridgemanA Melody for James by Hallee BridgemanSapphire Ice by Hallee Bridgeman
Best Contemporary Christian Fiction of 21st Century
48th out of 72 books — 81 voters
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. RowlingThe Innocent Mage by Karen MillerThe Fellowship of the Ring (The Lord of the Rings, #1) by J.R.R. TolkienHarry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. Rowling
Best Male Leads
83rd out of 172 books — 105 voters

More lists with this book...

Jessica Lu
Although the book was a post-movie work, it was more enjoyable than the movie. I am grad that I watched the movie first as it helped me to get through the book easily.

There were great thoughts putting in structuring the novel. The chapters followed the football's timeline. Each sub-chapter was given a good title and with sessions named with the characters' to tell the story. The whole story flows beautifully and develops to the highly intensive ending victory.

Along the story, the motivative les...more
Elaine
Nov 22, 2008 Elaine rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
(book, DVD, fiction)
a. I’ve watched the movie more than once so that in itself has to say something about this marvelously done movie and book. While the cover shows a football game, this story is not particularly about football. It’s about loving God in the midst of trials when things seem hopeless. Someone had asked Grant’s wife if she would still love God even if she might never have a child. After yet another negative pregnancy test, she tells God “I’ll still love you.”
b. The main character...more
Jeannie Faulkner Barber
Even if I weren't a huge football fan, I'd have fallen in love with this story. Again, Eric Wilson weaves a fast-paced, heart-touching story that easily explains the crucial need to let God be the center of everything in your life. The movie is just as emotionally swept as the book. I'm the proud owner of all three of Mr. Wilson's books AND the movies!
Corbin Lin
This is a good moive. My mother rec. it for me and it was a very good movie. It is abuot a team that lets God be there gider. The choch did not have lotes of money so a team mate and his dad git him a NEW CAR. And at the end he cuoldn't make a baby but God made it happen.
Jonathan
I love the movie and the book is great too (includes some stuff not in the movie)! I would highly recommend this to everyone! It provides a great Christ-centered philosophy on life!
Jacob
A great book about overcoming odds and winning a state championship.
Donna
Loved this book. Loved the movie also.
Jody
I know everyone, including myself, went crazy over this movie a few years ago. It was really good. But just as good as the movie was, this book was way better. It was better because I am way more of a book guy than a movie guy. If they never made another movie that would be fine with me. It seems that all they are doing now days is re-making the old ones. I remember bringing this movie home and sitting beside my wife while she cried her way through the tender parts. Yes, it was one of those movi...more
Nolan
This book made me cry. No joke, tears where crawling out of my eyes. The theme of this book is to never give up, to have a positive look on the future and ask God for help when you need him most because he will answer your prayers. This book is about a coach at a high school who is a major christian. His team is not doing so great and hasn't won a game for 2 years. He is about to get fired because of this. On the other hand he has a beautiful wife who helps him succeed. This is an amazing story....more
Danny
This book is about the trials of life and how religion is important. Grant is a coach for a catholic school and his life starts crumbling down after all these problems start coming up. On top of that his football team keeps losing, grant must talk with his lord and ask for help. During the course of this book we see the hand of god begin to work and help Grant with his challenges.
Zach Moore
This book is fantastic. The fact that this book is about the best sport football makes it the best. This book is very christian based and teaches great principles that we need to include in our lives. Facing the Giants is inspirational and shows us that we can do anything with God on our side, and I really like how they show that life will still be hard but will be okay when we turn to God. Everyone should read this book it is amazing.
Tatyanna
this book is about a football coach is going through somewhat of a hard time and lets his faith in god fade away for a little until he realizes that he needs to keep his faith in god and keep pursuing him and that he needs to leave everything in gods hands. and in the end god will take care of him.
Tish
I actually saw the movie. I liked it
and found it to be very inspiring. I would
love to see more books like this turned into
movies.
Carol
I recommend this book!!!!!! Story is one of triumph over great odds because this little football team gave the glory to God win or lose. The writing was just OK but the story made it well worth reading. And the part at the end where the 2 authors who are brothers write about: How Dad Taught us to Face Our Giants is the best part because it's a real story! Real is always better in faith promoting stories! This is a great book for young boys who like football or anyone who likes to see the underdo...more
Jisselle Leiva
Wayne
There is no better way to prove your faith than by showing guts and determination for wht you believe in. Whether it is on the sports field, at work or in life, if you have faith and give it your all and your best, then put the rest in God's hands and expect a miracle. Jay Austin dicovered this in Flywheel and now Grant Taylor has discovered it in Facing the Giants. This book will allow you to discover it too.
Laura Gomes

This book in part can remind me why God is so good! Although the style of how this book was written, seemed messy, maybe because it's more of a movie script. But the message is there and you can relate to the characters in the book. If you like American football, and like to hear about how God can work through difficulties than you should read this.
Audrey
This book was a good read. The book seems lengthy when you pick it up, but it moves quickly. It is an inspirational story tucked into football. You don't have to know much about football or really like football to enjoy this story. If you like books that involve inspiration and the role of God in ones life, you will like this book.
Thebarrys10
I am thankful for books that remind me of my CHristian beliefs and help to make them stronger. SOme Christians do a really good job of 'talking of CHrist, rejoicing in Christ and worshiping Him ' no matter the outcome. THat is the central message of this book. So good!
Angela
Mar 27, 2012 Angela rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: 11+
This book tells us a little more about Grant, Brooke, David, and other characters from the movie "Facing the Giants." A very interesting book and good read, adds some interesting details that we didn't learn in the movie.
Dmack
Even though i've already seen movie 2-3 times and completely knew the story i still teared up several times during the book; very heart warming; and inspirational
D.M. Kilgore
A wonderful book by the amazing Eric Wilson... even if you've "seen the movie" you'll want to read the book! I loved it!
Kelli Shearron
This is an encouraging and inspiring book. This book would be good for male or female students. I love the message of this book.
Natalia
It was pretty good, if you've seen the movie it kinda ruins the whole book, but it also gives a new perspective to it.
Abigail Richmond
That was Great!!! I think I enjoyed the book more than the movie, although both were Great!
Dana
A good adaption about the movie. A must read for fans of Christina fiction.
Cathy
Mar 09, 2012 Cathy added it
Great read and I don't know a thing about football!
Meaghan Ethier
Amazing what we can do with the power of God!
Jamie
Amazing book! Loved this book!
Henry Waller
it is really a good book
  • Courageous
  • The Swiss Courier
  • A City Not Forsaken (Cheney Duvall, M.D. Series #3)
  • Eli
  • Pursuit Of Justice (Call of Duty, #3)
  • A Rose Remembered (Secret of the Rose #2)
  • The Shield of Honor (Wakefield Dynasty #3)
  • The Mystery of Mary
  • Heartland Wedding (After the Storm: The Founding Years, #2)
  • Between Sundays
  • Kansas Brides: Stranger's Bride/Never a Bride/Bittersweet Bride/His Brother's Bride
  • Lonestar Homecoming (Lonestar Series, #3)
  • Schoolhouse Brides: Teachers of Yesteryear Fulfill Dreams of Love in Four Novellas
  • The Runaway Bride
  • Captured by Grace: No One Is Beyond the Reach of a Loving God
  • Sabrina (Big Sky Dreams, #2)
  • Shift (ChronoShift #1)
  • God Thinks You're Wonderful

Eric Wilson is a NY Times bestselling author, known for novels that explore Earth's tension between heaven and hell. He latest suspense novels are ONE STEP AWAY and TWO SECONDS LATE, ultramodern twists on biblical tales. His novelization of the film OCTOBER BABY is now avai...more
More about Eric Wilson...
Fireproof October Baby Field of Blood (Jerusalem's Undead Trilogy #1) Amelia's Last Secret Haunt of Jackals (Jerusalem's Undead Trilogy #2)