Start by marking “Girl Stories” as Want to Read:
Girl Stories

Girl Stories

A graphic novel jam-packed with the joys and humiliations of being a teenage girl

Girl Stories began as a series of comics drawn for the teen girls' Web site gurl.com, where they generated thousands of e-mails from teenage girls (and some boys too).

Expanded into a full-length graphic novel, these tales of one girl's adolescence are hilarious, heartbreaking, and honest. Lau
Published April 18th 2006 by Henry Holt and Co. (BYR)

To ask other readers questions about Girl Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Girl Stories

S.
Feb 12, 2015 S. rated it really liked it
My daughter invited me to do a reading a challenge with her this year. Who says no to their teenager’s request to do a book challenge together? It has a list of specifications like ‘read a book published the year you were born,’ ‘read a trilogy,’ and many other things. One requirement is to read a graphic novel, so I went to the library and read this. Since my daughter and I agreed one book could fulfill up to three requirements, this also covered me on reading a book set in high school, which I ...more
christa
Jul 17, 2013 christa rated it liked it
Before I write another word, I have to say this: I love Lauren Weinstein’s coming-of-age collection of comics “Girl Stories.” I think it’s relatable, funny and in some instances super clever. I like the raw honesty of her character, a self-aware art chick who still plays with Barbie Dolls, but understands all the problems with Barbie Dolls and doctors her collection to make it more punk rock. Meanwhile, she has that brand of self-loathing so familiar among girls who grew up in the 1990s. I like ...more
Valerie
Jan 04, 2009 Valerie rated it really liked it
This is a great book for a weekend afternoon read. The illustrated glimpses in Lauren R. Weinstein's Girl Stories are drawn (no pun intended) from her own life, and if you're looking for a laugh you'll find it here. The stories are mainly from her middle school years, and focus on her as an uncool, arty kid who desperately wants - of course - to be one of the cool kids. But that plan doesn't quite work out, and in one of my favorite parts of the book she turns to her idol, Morissey, and together ...more
Jenna
Nov 16, 2016 Jenna rated it liked it
Not the best writing, nor my favorite artwork, but this was the only book I could stomach in the week post-election 2016, so it was exactly what I needed right now, and for that I am thankful.
Dov Zeller
"Girl Stories" is a Lauren R. Weinstein's memoirific survey course of some embarrassing and near-victorious moments from 8th grade through high school. It's more vignettes than stories and as a few other reviewers said, it would have been great to see her go a bit deeper. At least one of the Goodreads reviewers compared her to Lynda Barry and Ariel Schrag. They are all three cisgender female people who commemorate the painfulness of teenage years on some cultural fringes, but stylistically I thi ...more
Freshmengal72
Sep 02, 2015 Freshmengal72 rated it it was amazing
"Girl Stories" is a very innovative, and I'm guessing real life story about the author, Lauren R. Weinstein. The fact that it's real, even it it wasn't, it feels real. The expressive art really allows the reader to feel the emotion in the novel.The artists style is very unique, and cluttered in a "controlled chaos" type of way. The art feels, if anything, nostalgic to comic styles of the past. Not only is the art unique, but the artists uses her color palette in a very unique way, at times using ...more
Crystal Allen
Nov 04, 2007 Crystal Allen rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Any girl who has ever experienced teenage angst
Shelves: graphic-novels
I loved this graphic novel. If I could relate to every graphic novel the way that I did to this one I would read a graphic novel a day.

Lauren Weinstein writes about her life as a teen. She experiences all the usual teenage girl things... her best friend from childhood has started to hang out with "the cool kids" and abandoned her, she wants to have a boyfriend but then when she gets one wants him to be deep and emotional instead of just wanting to get in her pants, she's being bullied by a guy
Louise
Feb 23, 2008 Louise rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel, 2008
Parts of this book were hilarious and other parts were big, fat reminders of how miserable the junior high and high school years were. I loved how the artwork changed throughout the book, but sometimes the characters were almost too unattractive and unpleasant - I'm not sure what the author actually looks like, but I know her face isn't a scribbly blob and I know she's talented enough (based on the other artwork in the book) to draw herself more accurately or maybe just with better care. Of cour ...more
Rebecca
Apr 12, 2007 Rebecca rated it liked it
Recommends it for: those going thru the teen years and those who remember them
Shelves: graphic-novels
As one reviewer already said, this book gives new meaning to the phrase "painfully funny." I think I winced (in recognition and in sympathy) more than I laughed at Lauren's early-high school escapades. This graphic novel reminded me of Lynda Barry's One Hundred Demons, except with less "adult distance" from the memories that are being related (which I think gives it more teen appeal). The drawings bothered me a bit, with their changing styles, insanely bright colors, and jittery lines. But if th ...more
Raina
Cross Ariel Schrag with Lynda Barry, and add a dash of Laurie Sandell, you get this quick and juicy read. Weinstein tells anecdotes of (what seems to be) her childhood in messy, inconsistent images. Very accessible and charming, with lots of detail and lots of approachability. Reminds us all of our early teen years. It left me wanting more. Which, I suppose, is a very good thing.
Robert
Dec 08, 2008 Robert rated it liked it
Nicely done, highly enjoyable and funny comics, somewhat visually reminiscent of Aline Kominsky-Crumb and Lynda Barry (high praise, coming from me). I really like Weinstein's scrawly art and I think teenage girls in particular would really find this book a spot-on depiction of those excruciatingly drama-filled high school days. Plus the author's "Morrissey and Me" story is the best and funniest Morrissey tribute comic I've seen yet, and I have seen my share (I believe I personally drew my Morris ...more
Zoe Pace
Mar 15, 2012 Zoe Pace rated it really liked it
I really liked this book and the comics and drawings were so amazing. The thing with this book is that I could really relate to all the book contains in general. I found the book amusing and saw much of myself in the main character and some of the other characters in the book. When The main character wants to get her belly button pierced the drawing are really good. I think this is one of those books that I will read Over and Over again.
Laurie
Nov 30, 2008 Laurie added it
Shelves: wmslibrary, graphic
I enjoyed/laughed/winced in various places while reading this, though once again I wondered whether it won't appeal more to woman in their 30s, like me, than actual teenage girls. I didn't find the artwork very appealing (well, it's not meant to be appealing, exactly, but I didn't care for the style), and I'm not sure what students will make of it. I think they like their graphic novel illustration a bit more slick.
Lindsey
Jul 25, 2009 Lindsey rated it really liked it
This is such a delightful, exuberant, and honest collection about what it's like to be a girl. The stories are obviously very personal but I feel they could speak to anyone who has had to navigate the disastrous territory between childhood and womanhood. That description makes this collection sound very "Lifetime" but it's not; Weinstein recounts her tales with talent, wit, and originality. It made me chuckle and cringe simultaneously, in the best way.
Jen
Apr 15, 2009 Jen rated it it was amazing
These comics are pulled from different times in Weinstein's life, so the styles and inkwork change a lot throughout. I thoroughly enjoyed this book - got at some really accurate/memory-provoking bits from my own childhood. A great introduction for those new to the memoir-comic genre, or even comics in general.

Also: Morrissey.
Outi
Mar 06, 2014 Outi rated it really liked it
Fun and honest stories of being a teen. It was fun and horrible to remember how horrific those years from 13 to 17 were.

Weinstein was a new acquaintance for me and as such, a very welcomed one. Her drawing style evolved throughout the collection but it was always brilliant and fresh and sort of naive.
Marisa
Apr 18, 2007 Marisa rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels, ya
Not bad. It's actually a collection of shorter comics, most of which ran on gurl.com. It's interesting to see the different styles weinstein experimented with. All of the stories are mostly autobiographical and took place during Weinstein's 8th and 9th grade years -- and everything is painfully familiar. Do I look fat in this? Do you think John likes me? What if I'm not a good kisser?
Ashley Choo
Jul 14, 2015 Ashley Choo rated it it was amazing
I picked this up because I flipped it open and saw Morrissey, and kept on flipping because of the funky colours and over-dramatic Lauren, who is definitely relatable, and very funny. I love her drawing style, and it has definitely inspired some of my journaling.
Kricket
Aug 18, 2012 Kricket rated it really liked it
i love weinstein's voice and all the great stories in this book- especially "am i fat?" she experiments with several different art styles throughout, and some of them i liked better than others. recommended.
John
Oct 17, 2009 John rated it really liked it
I hate to admit that I read this, but I did. It had some hilarious stuff in it. The artwork wasn't too bad either. If you see it laying around, pick it up and give it a read. Made me laugh out loud a couple of times.
Lorra Fae
Sep 20, 2012 Lorra Fae rated it it was amazing
This book is HILARIOUS. It has almost everything I like: 90s references, high school hilarity, teenage girl probz...the art was a bit lacking, but it was so funny I didn't care. I'd give it 4.5 stars if I could, but since there is no option for that, it gets a rounded up full 5.
kathryn
Jul 23, 2007 kathryn rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic
not totally young adult-they just drop any graphic in this genre at times-but a fun quick read. i read about the author in The Believer magazine and wanted to check out this first collection of short comics.
Aurora
May 19, 2008 Aurora rated it liked it
I guess we can never have too many of these teenage confessional comics. The stories are all really short, and I wish the author/character was willing to go a little deeper. Some pretty great stories, though.
Abby Sullivan
Jan 03, 2015 Abby Sullivan rated it it was amazing
Besides small strips in the newspaper, I've never fully read a comic, but I'm glad this was my first! Lauren Weinstein is incredibly witty and her humor applies so easily to my life (is this something I should tell people???) Defiantly worth the read!
Jill
Dec 05, 2007 Jill rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: girls who like stories
Wow! I'm really getting into this graphic memoir thing! She's funny, talented, and real. I loved it--took about an hour to read, and it was something I could get from our library. The perfect combination for Jill!
Nancy
Jan 24, 2012 Nancy rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
Takes you off your feet for a grand hour. You are in good hands while being in the awful places of 8th grade and locker-lined school halls. Yes, to the pages featuring the sweet temporary salve of idolatry and anatomy of French Kisses. Love the colors and pacing and weight of book on my lap.
jessica
Oct 27, 2007 jessica rated it it was amazing
lauren weinstein is so amazing. i read "am i fat?" on gurl.com and loved it. i was really excited about this book, and it was as good as i imagined. there is a comic about morrissey which is great.
Emilia P
May 19, 2008 Emilia P rated it really liked it
Shelves: comic-books
Just fine, not super.
Not really edgy and deep, and ok with that...this book felt really comfortable with itself, I liked the style of the art, and I liked her love affair with Morrisey.
Yep.
Claire
Made me feel scared about teaching middle school soon. Middle schoolers can be really terrible - shown in sad/sweet/funny/horrifying graphic representations!
elissa
Read for '07 Books for the Beast. I really liked seeing the different styles of artwork, and some of the stories were memorable.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • We Are On Our Own
  • Cecil and Jordan in New York
  • Lucille
  • The Best American Comics 2011
Lauren R Weinstein is a cartoonist who is still recovering from having a baby and moving to the suburbs of New Jersey (it’s been two years). Her comics books include, Girl Stories and The Goddess of War, and her work has been published in Kramer’s Ergot, The Ganzfeld, An Anthology of Graphic Fiction, and The Best American Comics of 2007 and 2010. Her work has also appeared in the New York Times, G ...more
More about Lauren R. Weinstein...