Start by marking “The Wilde Album: Public and Private Images of Oscar Wilde” as Want to Read:
The Wilde Album: Public and Private Images of Oscar Wilde

The Wilde Album: Public and Private Images of Oscar Wilde

4.20  ·  Rating Details  ·  110 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
The most comprehensive collection of photographs and images of Wilde--compiled by his only grandson.

Oscar Wilde was one of the first and unquestionably one of the greatest self-publicists who ever lived. With that exceptional streak of modernity that characterized much of his life and work, he understood the power of the image in his campaign to promote the self. As early
Published April 15th 1998 by Henry Holt and Co. (first published January 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about The Wilde Album, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Wilde Album

Nikoleta
Sep 01, 2015 Nikoleta rated it it was amazing
Shelves: biography
Νομίζω ότι μια βιβλιογραφία δεν θα έπρεπε να είναι διαφορετική από την βιογραφία που έγραψε ο Μέρλιν Χόλαντ για τον παππού του Όσκαρ Ουάϊλντ. Δεν κάνει υποθέσεις, δεν κριτικάρει, δεν βάζει συναίσθημα. Αφήνει το φωτογραφικό υλικό να παράγει συναίσθημα στον αναγνώστη και τα γεγονότα να του δώσουν κριτική ματιά. Πολύ καλογραμμένη, από έναν συγγραφέα που η κληρονομιά του στο όνομα Ουάϊλντ τον καθιστά κατάλληλο για να καταγράψει την πιο φερέγγυα βιογραφία για μια τόσο έξυπνη, αξιοθαύμαστη αλλά συνάμα ...more
Brisbride13
Nov 06, 2013 Brisbride13 rated it really liked it
I found myself readying for a trip home on the city bus and discovered I had nothing but movies in my bag, so walked to nearest section of the library and began searching. This book jumped off the shelf at me because of its size; if I didn't like it, I could easily abandon it and read something else. I ended up reading it on commercials on "football Sunday" and thoroughly enjoyed it. I did , however, feel it odd that one man of his time would have sooo many pictures of himself! These weren't can ...more
Ryan
May 20, 2015 Ryan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As a huge fan of Wilde this lovely collection of images is a personal memento lovingly put together by Oscar's grandson. It is flawless and a regular go to book. 100% recommend this to all.
Margery Meadow
Oct 16, 2014 Margery Meadow rated it really liked it
Fascinating and touching. Accompanied by Holland's loving but clear-eyed capsule biography and commentary.
Tine Hreno
Mar 29, 2014 Tine Hreno rated it it was amazing
Beautiful.
Roberta
Apr 09, 2007 Roberta rated it it was amazing
I highly recommend that anyone who is a fan of Wilde - the man, not just the author - read Holland's works, as well as his father, Vyvyan's ( Ocsar's son... Holland was the last name he was given after he was adopted by another family after Constance passed away ) .

I found this book to be.. well, tears sprung to my eyes. It offered a different perspective that few even bothered to document.
Joanna
Dec 24, 2011 Joanna rated it it was amazing
It's so interesting to read a biography on Oscar Wilde that refers to him as "my grandfather." I was afraid that this would be maybe a bit delusional (because sometimes descendents who publish books seem to have some sort of agenda regarding their ancestors) but Holland is surprisingly objective and clear-eyed. And the pictures! Oscar Wilde gets me in my lady bits.
Adam Grimes
May 06, 2009 Adam Grimes rated it it was amazing
Shelves: biography
An absolutely wonderful read! Written by Oscar's Grandson, Melvin Holland, this book includes many family photographs/playhouse posters which won't be found in many books on the same subject. The balance between words and pictures is perfect, the text not going into too much detail and flowing perfectly for it. A must-read for all fans of Oscar Wilde.
Cagliostro
Oct 25, 2012 Cagliostro rated it it was amazing
Ένα βιβλίο απο τον εγγονό του Όσκαρ Ουαιλντ με πλούσιο φωτογραφικό υλικό που προσφέρει μια ευσύνοπτη βιογραφία για την ταραχώδη ζωή του παππού του.Προσφέρει μια γεύση της ανήσυχης φύσης του προικισμένου συγγραφέα, αποτελώντας κατ' αυτόν τον τρόπο την ιδανική εισαγωγή για κάποιον που επιθυμεί να εντρυφήσει στα έργα του.
May 11, 2008 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
GREAT! written by oscar wilde's grandson, who is a Oscolar in his own right. it's small, short, and has lots of rare photos and prints from the era. also a great reference section where i was able to find more books and do more research and study on OW and the people he knew.
Lee Regan
Apr 12, 2010 Lee Regan rated it it was amazing
p. 128 Oscar Wilde: "I love superstitions. They are the colour element of thought and imagination. Common sense is the enemy of romance. Leave us some unreality. Do not make us too offensively sane."
Matt
Dec 11, 2010 Matt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting little book by Oscar's grandson. It contains a wealth of photographs and reproductions of artwork. Just a nice little book.
Lord Beardsley
Jan 29, 2008 Lord Beardsley rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Oscar Wildeaholics
Recommended to Lord by: ...
Shelves: books-read-2005
A beautifully designed look at Oscar Wilde's family photos arranged by his grandson, whose name really is Merlin.
Claudia
Aug 17, 2011 Claudia rated it it was amazing
written by Oscar Wilde's grandson. lovely and heart-breaking.
Linda
Apr 02, 2010 Linda rated it it was amazing
Contains photos of Oscar Wilde with commentary. Nicely put together.
~ ~
~ ~ marked it as to-read
May 19, 2016
On Oui
On Oui rated it really liked it
May 11, 2016
Dodo
Dodo added it
May 05, 2016
Paige
Paige marked it as to-read
May 04, 2016
Sara Soper
Sara Soper rated it really liked it
May 04, 2016
Phoebe
Phoebe marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2016
Anna
Anna added it
Apr 20, 2016
John
John rated it it was amazing
Apr 15, 2016
Khepra
Khepra added it
Apr 02, 2016
Caeru
Caeru rated it liked it
Mar 25, 2016
Annie Garvey
Annie Garvey rated it it was amazing
Mar 31, 2016
Gli
Gli rated it it was amazing
Mar 18, 2016
Amber
Amber marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2016
Jack
Jack rated it it was amazing
May 24, 2016
  • Oscar Wilde
  • Jane Austen, Obstinate Heart: A Biography
  • Oscar Wilde
  • Teller of Tales: The Life of Arthur Conan Doyle
  • Oscar Wilde and the Vampire Murders (Oscar Wilde Murder Mysteries, #4)
  • Forgiveness Parade