Start by marking “The Facts of Death (James Bond, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Facts of Death (James Bond, #2)

The Facts of Death (James Bond - Extended Series #31)

3.56 of 5 stars 3.56  ·  rating details  ·  395 ratings  ·  20 reviews
James Bond must find and infiltrate a cult of fanatical terrorists shrouded in the teachings of the Greek mathematician Pythagoras. With multiple assassins trying to subtract him from the equation, he's going to have to make every correct calculation--or the next number that comes up may be his own.
Mass Market Paperback, 290 pages
Published August 1st 1999 by Jove (first published May 7th 1998)

To ask other readers questions about The Facts of Death, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Facts of Death

Steve Mitchell
The Facts of Death is Raymond Benson’s third addition to the James Bond series – if you count the novelisation of Tomorrow Never Dies – reads more like a screenplay for a Bond movie with the ridiculous gadget-laden Jaguar XK8 being even more outrageous than any of the cars in the films. This is not such a bad thing though. Where Ian Fleming tried to write – almost – realistic espionage thrillers, John Gardner fell afoul of trying to mix the realism with the fantasy of the movies and ending up wi ...more
Zohar - ManOfLaBook.com
I liked this book better than the former one; Mr Benson is getting close to portraying Bond as a cold blooded, drunk, SOB. He is not there yet, I still get the feeling he is writing with a movie in mind.
The story is good, and I like the references to past stories, and the book shows the author did his research.

My grievances with the book is that the ending and some of the story is written specifically for a movie, the dialog is sometimes ludicrous, and the situations are not believable.

It's not
writegeist
For a Bond novel, I thought this flowed much better than the first of Mr. Benson's novels. I enjoyed the plot, and the Bond girls abound. We still deal with a lot of villain "monologuing" and the perplexing quality of these bad guys to not just shoot Bond instead of giving him the chance to escape. Of course, that's all part of the reason why you read a Bond book. I will continue to read on. I think with the second new adventure, Mr. Benson is hitting his stride.
Carson
After the successful inaugural entry in the Raymond Benson 007 novels that was Zero Minus Ten, The Facts of Death plunges Bond into so much intrigue and peril and descriptive globetrotting scenery that Benson suffers no sophomore slump.

James Bond successfully interacts with practically everyone we've ever cared for within MI6, be it Q, Moneypenny, Tanner and both M's to date. Not to mention, he encounters a familiar friend when he travels to Texas. The plot while radical is certainly not outside
Mips
Jul 05, 2008 Mips added it
Shelves: fictie
Kijk, dat heb je nu als je je 10-jarige zoon alleen naar de bib laat gaan!
In plaats van met een B-boek, komt hij met dit thuis!
Ik citeer hem even...
Na 5 min : 'tof, al 34 doden'
Na 10 min : 'Coole titel : de geur van de dood'
Na 12 min : 'Een soevereine basis, wa is-da?'

Benieuwd hoelang hij het gaat volhouden.
Kerry
This is not your father's Bond. Back story has been updated to avoid the ravages of aging. Still, good story.
David
This particular installment in the Bond saga had a few "Bon Moments" in it. A Bond moment (my own personal definition, I suppose, derived from some of the Bond video games) is when Bond does something unexpected that results in an amazingly clever method of doing in an opponent. (Think throwing the guy in the bathtub and tossing an electric fan into the tub to electrocute the enemy-- or the end of OddJob at the end of Goldfinger).. There are a couple of cool moments like that in the book, which ...more
David Dalton
Another enjoyable James Bond thriller by Raymond Benson. My first Bond book by Benson was High Time to Kill by Raymond Benson, and I thought that was pretty darn good as well. I have read all of the Ian Fleming books except the last one and I have Octopussy by Ian Fleming on my Kindle.

Raymond makes several references to a few of the Bond movies and books by Fleming. A good nod to the origins/past adventures of Bond.

A good villian and a few touch henchmen and women. Bond being Bond, meaning great action and of course good looking womenm both good and b
William
Benson does a good job of developing Bond as a character and some of the supporting cast were interesting and well-done, but I found the plot fairly lame and especially so the bit at the end where Romanos deliberately left Bond an avenue to foil his plans. The rather pedantic descriptions of local colour went overboard in this instalment.
Bear Mills
James Bond, to my mind, is very much like a superhero character from a comic book. Ian Fleming created this character, but he clearly now belongs to the ages and anyone with moxy enough to get published writing books about him. With that said, I very much enjoyed Benson's take on Bond. Comparing this Bond to the literary others is a bit like listening to multiple psychiatrists each giving their profile on someone they have examined. Or, to use a different analogy, it is like the Olympics. If you ...more
Ahren
The opening act of this novel is some of the best Raymond Benson James Bond I have read. I am a sucker for when Bond is actually in London so that may have something to do with it (and I realize that that negates the globe-trotting and *foreign* intelligence aspect of Bond's character). However, I thought the opening act of Bond in London gave a bit more good insight into Bond's character and personal life. The second act, where Bond goes to Texas is kind of where things fall apart. Benson used ...more
David Garcia
My least favorite of the Benson Bond Books I've read.
Kkinugawa
The book is about the James Bond's struggles against villains. The story starts off with several deaths from mysterious diseases, and we first find Bond in Cyprus where a number of British troops have been discovered murdered, under mysterious circumstances. The absolutely thrilling story is going to start off from then, and I thought the book is one of the best works Raymond Benson had achieved. From this point of view, I would like to recommend this book even if you are pure James Bond fan or ...more
Freddy
I personally found this a fantastic book that was hard to put down. I recommend this to anyone to anyone who enjoys an action-packed adventure, whether you enjoy James Bond or not. I do advise however, that some of the sex scenes might be a little bit graphic, but they don't last more than a page or two.
Martyn Perry
Not as good as the first Benson introduction to Bond but still full of action, twists and the usual Bond formula to please fans like me.

Only for James Bond fans, readers of thriller and action novels will find many a superior novel before reading this.
Mike Grady
Fast paced portrayal of Bond as a maturing agent. Interesting to see Austin TX as one of the locations used in the book. The tidy, formulaic ending of the book was a bit of a disappointment.
Chris Leib
Good light read, would've fit in well with the Brosnan Bond movies. A little formulaic, but thoroughly enjoyable. If you like the movies, you'll like this book.
Daniel Ace
This was a quick read but let's be honest after all, it's a James Bond novel. Okay in general but an average read.
Jeff
A cult of followers of Pythagoreas. Not a lame as it sounds, a solid read for Bond fans.
David Stearns
Very well done in style and development. Well calculated plot and enjoyable, easy read.
John Hammond
John Hammond is currently reading it
Mar 03, 2015
Alan
Alan marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2015
Carl Darley
Carl Darley marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2015
Brian Christy
Brian Christy marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2015
Ryan
Ryan marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2015
Rob
Rob marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2015
  • Death Is Forever (John Gardner's Bond, #12)
  • Colonel Sun (James Bond, #15)
  • James Bond, the Spy Who Loved Me
  • James Bond: The Authorized Biography of 007
  • Octopussy & the Living Daylights (James Bond, #14)
  • Solo: A James Bond Novel
  • The Moneypenny Diaries: Guardian Angel (The Moneypenny Diaries, #1)
  • Devil May Care (James Bond, #36)
Raymond Benson has been an author, composer, computer game designer, stage director, film historian, and film genres instructor for over thirty years. He is also the fourth official author of the James Bond 007 novels.

More about Raymond Benson...

James Bond - Extended Series (1 - 10 of 39 books)
  • Casino Royale (James Bond, #1)
  • Live and Let Die (James Bond #2)
  • Moonraker (James Bond, #3)
  • Diamonds Are Forever (James Bond, #4)
  • From Russia With Love (James Bond, #5)
  • Doctor No (James Bond, #6)
  • Goldfinger (James Bond, #7)
  • For Your Eyes Only (James Bond, #8)
  • Thunderball (James Bond, #9)
  • The Spy Who Loved Me (James Bond, #10)
Splinter Cell (Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell, #1) Operation Barracuda (Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell, #2) Checkmate (Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell, #3) High Time to Kill (Raymond Benson's Bond, #3) The Black Stiletto: The First Diary--1958 (The Black Stiletto #1)