Start by marking “Midwife For Souls” as Want to Read:
Midwife For Souls

Midwife For Souls

This understanding can only serve to make us all more tender and compassionate emissaries of love to one another. It deals with only with living people preparing to die, but with dying people preparing to live......Fr. Michael Mannion
Paperback, 2nd Edition (revised), 145 pages
Published January 1st 2007 by Pauline Books & Media

To ask other readers questions about Midwife For Souls, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Midwife For Souls

May 13, 2009 Laurence rated it it was amazing
There's a beautiful symmetry between natural birth and natural death, and the author, a Catholic nurse who works in hospice care, humbly shares her experiences about easing the soul into eternity. I haven't seen anyone die or accompanied people in their journey toward death, so I learned a lot about the physical, psychological and spiritual aspects of death as well as what it takes to make your peace with God (sometimes very little) to be happy ever after. No two stories are alike, some are mira ...more
Dec 14, 2011 Carol rated it liked it
This book had a lot of good information for people that work with / care for the dying.The hospice nurse that wrote it was advocating that hospice nurses should be sure patients are spirtually ready to die - meaning "Christians." There is still a lot of good information and insights. Some interesting stories/ examples, but the lack of respect for spiritual diversity was hard for me. I do understand that hospice nurses build relationships with families and might encounter spiritual issues especia ...more
Oct 27, 2014 Kristin rated it liked it
I feel like the book should have been called
"Christian" care for the dying, or "Catholic" care for the dying - it was far from a general spiritual perspective, which is why I purchased the book. I am looking forward to reading other 'how to be a soul midwife' books to fill in the cultural and spiritual gaps. I did enjoy the personal stories at the end.
Lisa Shultz
May 03, 2016 Lisa Shultz rated it it was amazing
A book about dying that was heartwarming, informative and filled with grace. Even though it was a guide to hospice care workers, it was very fitting to anyone who is with a terminally ill person. I am grateful it was recommended to me and will shout out its praise to all who need guidance as a loved one approaches death.
Heidi Browne ricks
Jul 08, 2012 Heidi Browne ricks rated it really liked it
As a midwife I really appreciated this book. No one who has attended a deaths and births could fail to see the similarities in the processes. I loved the collaboration between a hospice worker and a midwife. I was concerned that the Christian basis would be tough to take but it was not overwhelming.
Dec 26, 2015 Laura added it
Shelves: non-fiction, grief
Tackled a difficult subject with tender grace. A few passages were helpful to address the issues of what happens to our body as/when we die. Suggestions for how to engage and provide care were helpful, but overall the book is a helpful tool for professionals in hospice work.
Heather Spiegel
Jul 10, 2016 Heather Spiegel rated it it was amazing
As a new hospice worker, her insight is priceless. It is a master giving knowledge to the apprentice. It is hard to put spiritual feelings and situations into words, and she has done so.
Nancy Groves
Jan 22, 2015 Nancy Groves rated it it was amazing
This book gently prepares families when a loved one is terminally ill. The author's in-depth information, shared compassionately, reduces some of the anxiety for families.
Elizabeth Doggett
Feb 23, 2016 Elizabeth Doggett rated it really liked it
Fascinating and true to my experience with my dying mother. Profound testimony that dying is a true birthing to something else.
Stacey Canfield
I couldn't put it down! Kathy's intimate journey teaches the grace needed in the care of the transitioning soul. A must read for anyone preparing to say goodbye to a loved one.
Beth rated it it was amazing
Jun 16, 2011
Jenna rated it it was amazing
Jan 24, 2016
Kelsie Black
Kelsie Black rated it really liked it
Aug 06, 2016
Jenna rated it really liked it
Dec 11, 2015
Jen McDonald
Jen McDonald rated it it was amazing
May 11, 2016
Chris rated it really liked it
Aug 11, 2015
Denise rated it really liked it
Jun 11, 2013
Kimberly rated it really liked it
Sep 27, 2013
Jenn rated it really liked it
May 13, 2013
Sheldon Mann
Sheldon Mann rated it really liked it
Jun 05, 2015
Elizabeth Marie
Elizabeth Marie rated it really liked it
Nov 08, 2015
Theresa Dunn
Theresa Dunn rated it it was amazing
Dec 26, 2015
Susan rated it really liked it
Nov 19, 2008
Tammy rated it it was amazing
Jan 20, 2014
Enzina Maier
Enzina Maier rated it it was amazing
Nov 02, 2014
T James
T James rated it it was amazing
Sep 30, 2013
Mary Hernvall
Mary Hernvall rated it it was amazing
Nov 02, 2015
Hilda rated it really liked it
Mar 07, 2010
Rock rated it liked it
Apr 04, 2012
Elizabeth Brewer
Elizabeth Brewer rated it really liked it
Feb 04, 2016