Start by marking “The Nose Book (Bright and Early Books BE-8)” as Want to Read:
The Nose Book (Bright and Early Books BE-8)

The Nose Book (Bright and Early Books for Beginning Beginners BE-8)

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  1,761 ratings  ·  38 reviews
In this Bright and Early Book*, Perkins offers a super-simple look at noses of all kinds, colors, and shapes, including their multiple uses and maddening maladies!
Published March 26th 2002 by Random House Children's Books (first published 1970)

To ask other readers questions about The Nose Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Nose Book

Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret by Judy Blume84, Charing Cross Road by Helene HanffThe Crystal Cave by Mary StewartBury My Heart at Wounded Knee by Dee BrownThe Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle
Best Books of 1970
65th out of 141 books — 43 voters
Hand, Hand, Fingers, Thumb by Al PerkinsThe Digging-est Dog by Al PerkinsThe Nose Book by Al PerkinsThe Ear Book by Al Perkins
Best of Al Perkins
3rd out of 4 books — 2 voters

More lists with this book...

Jim
Another of the 4 that Marg bought for the upcoming grandmonster. I've never read this one before. Not bad, but not my favorite. Good pictures, but the words didn't suck me in. I do like the thick cardboard pages.
John Sperry
This short story discusses all different types of noses in the world (from different animals with noses to humans). Various functions of noses are discussed in colorful pictures and very simple wording is used. This book would be used for very you elementary students and is actually a book which I did not read growing up, but it is useful in helping to teach students what their noses are for. Overall, the book is very easy for young children to read and is entertaining.

I would use this book and
David Sarkies
A book about noses
17 November 2013

I didn't like this one as much as the Eye Book because it was a little bit more complicated which means that I would have a lot more difficulty translating it into German. Okay, I understand this is a kid's book, but at least it does not deal with stray dogs picking up lost children, taking them home and sleeping in the same bed as them (a-la Mister Dog). I am sure this is a great book for children to read (though a little more complicated than others) but sinc
Angie
Synopsis: "Like the parent Beginner Books, Bright & Early Books feature the same affordable hardcover format, imaginative stories, and colorful pictures. Geared for a younger audience, these books use simple words, repetition, and pictures that act as clues to the text. Contributors include Dr. Seuss ("Mr. Brown Can Moo!" "Can You?," "There's a Wocket in My Pocket!," "The Foot Book"), Stan and Jan Berenstain ("Inside, Outside, Upside Down; Bears on Wheels"), Al Perkins ("Hand, Hand, Fingers, ...more
Meg McGregor
Great great book!

I love that it emphasizes the nose - a part of the body that sometimes we forget all about!

Being a person with glasses, I am definitely happy to have a nose! Like the story said:

"And one thing more. Suppose...no nose...
Where would all our glasses sit?
They'd all fall off!
Just THINK of it!"
Shawn Fairweather
Again another Dr Seuss family book enjoyed by my son and myself. Simple but traditional use of word trickery which makes Dr Seuss style books so enjoyable to read over and over again. A very short read but fun none the less.
Austin Wright
The "My Big Book of Beginner Books About Me" is the most embarrassing section of Dr Seuss' bibliography, where he was just putting out books for the dolla' dolla'. Two-stared everything.
A.C. Bauch
The kiddo is really into facial features right now, so this was a fun read. I'm sure that the eye, ear, and foot books will soon follow.
Ashley
Alice loves this book as much at nearly 3 years old as she did at six months.
Brooke
Great book for teaching students that looking different is not a bad thing.
Leslie Anne
Everyone has a nose, everyone's noses are different. Fun to read out loud. The pictures are lovely.
Rachelolivia
Jun 02, 2015 Rachelolivia marked it as to-read
Shelves: own
II
Alexis Levine
The Nose Book is great for beginning readers. I love this story along with The Foot book and others similar. It teaches children that everyone comes in all different shapes and sizes. It's important that children know that just because someone doesn't look like them doesn't mean they are "different." Dr. Seuss does a great job in portraying differences among people and animals.
Dolly
Feb 09, 2009 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: 2009, childrens
Our girls just adore the "Bright and Early" books for beginning readers from the Dr. Seuss library. This one is perfect. Not too many words, but just challenging enough to keep them interested in learning to read. This one is similar to "The Ear Book" and "The Foot Book," and our girls enjoy the continuity and rhythm these books have.
Hannah
PB25
I enjoyed most of The Nose Book. It was really fun to read to my nieces and could be entertaining for any child. The only thing I was disappointed in was the end. The writing confused my niece and made her seem completely unimpressed with the ending. It was a silly fun read though and could be a good read for younger children.
Janice
This is a very cute book.
Christina Camp
Of course this is a great book because it is written by Dr. Seuss. It has many nonsense words that the children really enjoy. It also rhymes which is very important to teach children. They can also learn about noses while enjoying the story.
Amanda Andrews
Great book for beginning readers and learning about rhyming words. It has rhyming words that have the same spelled ending and words that do not. The pictures follow well with the text, which can help students learning to read.
Mandy J. Hoffman
Can you imagine a book about noses?! This is the book! While using fun characters and flowing words this book introduces children to noses - all kinds of noses. And why do we need a nose?! Read the book to find out!
Amanda
This is a perfect book to show rhyming. This book could be used in the younger grades when discussing senses. Also, this book is filled with great sight words.
Wendy Unsworth
Yep, I love this one and so do my grandchildren who are just as thrilled as my children were. Simple, fun and a quick read that they ask for over and over again. - brilliant!
Rosa Cline
I can remember this being one of the first books I ever learnt to read on my own, now we're sharing it with our granddaughter! A very good 'first reader book'.
Robert
Cute enough rhyming story about our noses. Just think if you didn't have a nose and what you couldn't do. For very young readers.
Monica
There are a lot of noses in this book, until there are no noses. It's unsettling, but my son seems to enjoy it.
Meg McGregor
Great great book! I love that it emphasizes the nose - a part of the body sometimes we forget all about!
B
It's Dr. Seuss! What more can you say? Inspirational, appropriate and fun for any age.
Tanya Tyson
Compulsory bed time reading at our place for many years...my daughter LOVED this book!
Theresa
The Nose Book (Bright & Early Board Books
Perkins, Al
what is your nose for
Tony Petry
A good fun learning book that all children should be introduced.
Sara
Just adorable for my nearly 1 year old. Funny, rhythmic and sweet.
  • The Eye Book
  • Would You Rather Be a Bullfrog?
  • The Hair Book (Bright & Early Book)
  • C is for Clown
  • Big Dog...Little Dog
Al Perkins is an author of several children's books, including the ever-popular Hand, Hand, Fingers, Thumb (1969), The Digging-est Dog (1967), and The Ear Book (1968).He also wrote early titles in the Beginner Books and Bright and Early series.
More about Al Perkins...

Bright and Early Books for Beginning Beginners (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • The Hair Book (Bright & Early Book)
  • He Bear, She Bear
  • The Berenstain Bears He Bear She Bear
  • Would You Rather Be a Bullfrog?
  • I Can Write! A Book by Me, Myself (Bright & Early Book)
  • In a People House
  • The Shape of Me and Other Stuff
  • The Shape of Me and Other Stuff / The Foot Book / Hand, Hand, Fingers, Thumb (Bright and Early Board Books, Pack D)
  • Blue Train, Green Train (Thomas & Friends)
  • Fast Train, Slow Train (Thomas & Friends)
Hand, Hand, Fingers, Thumb The Ear Book (Bright & Early Books) The Digging-est Dog (Beginner Books) Tubby and the Lantern Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, #1)