Start by marking “The Lion Tamer's Daughter and Other Stories” as Want to Read:
The Lion Tamer's Daughter and Other Stories

The Lion Tamer's Daughter and Other Stories

3.5 of 5 stars 3.50  ·  rating details  ·  70 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Each of these stories touches on the idea of a twin, ghostly double of a live person, or a secret self.

Includes:
"The Spring"
"Touch and Go"
"Checkers"
"The Lion Tamer's Daughter"
Published May 1997 by Delacorte Press (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about The Lion Tamer's Daughter and Other Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Lion Tamer's Daughter and Other Stories

Kathryn McCary
Every time I read this book I see another bit of depth or perspective.

It is 4 stories, unlinked except by theme. They involve doubles, mirror images and enantiomorphic images. . .and each has some element of magic. The first (shortest) and last (longest) are even, in a sense, reflections of each other. And each involves an adolescent grappling more or less with the question of personal identity.

The first, "The Spring" always strikes me (when I am not reading it) as sad and a bit disturbing, but
Janet
The Lion Tamer's Daughter is one of four ghostly stories in this collection. All four show ordinary young people encountering something otherworldly and inexplicable. Time travel, ghosts, and two sets of unusual 'twins' are featured. (As a twin myself, I loved these.) Dickinson is a master of not telling you too much -- he stays within one character's viewpoint and makes you long to know what's going on in other characters' minds. Highly recommended for when you're in the mood for fantasy-in-eve ...more
Jill
It's always difficult to rate a book that is made up of several short stories, even if all the stories are by the same author. While I enjoyed a couple of the stories more than others, I found myself captivated from cover to cover. Dickinson's writing style creates characters that the reader can relate to and understand. I will definitely be looking for more books by Peter Dickinson in the future.
Cheryl
4.5 stars. It's like a themed anthology, four stories from one idea. The twist is, all these wonderfully imaginative stories are by the same creative genius. I haven't the words. Recommended to anyone who can stand to read about the kind of mysterious magic that's free of most of the archetypal ghosts etc., and who can stand to read books meant primarily for young teens.
Josie
Bit of a weird one, this.

Re-read in March 2013: I like Keith's narrative voice, and the ordinary-ness of the settings in the UK, but the denouement with Monsieur Albert and the mirror seemed to go on for too long. I also felt like the explanation wasn't terribly satisfying.
Debbie
Haven't read short stories in a while - nor supernatural ones. Happily both. And a journey back into teen fiction
Sally
Hm, two stars or three? I went with two in the end because this just wasn't my cup of tea. I like magic I can "believe" in so to speak but this was just presented as rather silly.
Wendy
This is four short stories--contemporary with a paranormal twist. Intriguing and enjoyable.
Elizabeth
I love all the stories in this book, but my favorite is "Checkers."
Ms. Rod
Ms. Rod marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2014
Gemma
Gemma marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2014
Christine
Christine marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
Leah
Leah marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2014
Rebekah
Rebekah marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2014
Caitlin England
Caitlin England marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2014
Featherleaf
Featherleaf marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2014
Tharini Viswanath
Tharini Viswanath marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2014
Marlana
Marlana marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Peter Malcolm de Brissac Dickinson OBE FRSL (born 16 December 1927) is a prolific English author and poet, best known for children's books and detective stories.

Peter Dickinson lives in Hampshire with his second wife, author Robin McKinley. He has written more than fifty novels for adults and young readers. He has won both the Carnegie Medal and the Whitbread Children's Award twice, and his novel
More about Peter Dickinson...
The Ropemaker (The Ropemaker, #1) Eva The Kin The Flight of Dragons A Bone From a Dry Sea