Start by marking “Four of a Kind: A Suburban Field Guide : A Treasury of Works by America's Best-Loved Humorist” as Want to Read:

A treasury of four bestsellers: THE GRASS IS ALWAYS GREENER OVER THE SEPTIC TANK, IF LIFE IS A BOWL OF CHERRIES-WHAT AM I DOING IN THE PITS?, AUNT ERMA'S COPE BOOK and MOTHERHOOD: THE SECOND OLDEST PROFESSION.
Published October 15th 1996 by BBS Publishing Corporation (first published October 1st 1985)

To ask other readers questions about Four of a Kind, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Four of a Kind

Vickie
It is amazing about how much my 'old mother' thoughts are because of Erma Bombeck - great read!
Adrienne Kiser
Apr 16, 2011 Adrienne Kiser rated it it was amazing
I already owned two of the books contained here, but after finding this at a thrift store I thought it was an excellent time to reread them both (along with the two that were new to me). Bombeck's books are alternately poignant, sad, but most of all funny (sometimes even hilarious!). I appreciate these from the stance of a non-mother, for someone with kids they must be even better!
Kristen
Aug 15, 2011 Kristen rated it really liked it
Had always wanted to read "grass is always greener over the septic tank" after it was mentioned in another book. I then found this one that gave me three more, I love them all, they are great eleven you just want to laugh.
Kimberly
Nov 08, 2008 Kimberly rated it really liked it
Erma Bombeck always makes me giggle. I think it's because she takes real life things that I can relate to and 'humorizes' them. This was a compliation of 4 of her books and while there were a few times that the anecdotes were duplicated it was still overall a wonderful fun read.
Helen
Mar 17, 2011 Helen rated it it was ok
Some parts were riotously funny- but I found it largely rather depressing. This may be because I have a rather British sense of humor, unlike Erma Bombeck. It would get a higher rating if the funny parts weren't so sparsely dispersed throughout the rather weighty tome.
Renie
Dec 14, 2010 Renie rated it really liked it
I had read these books ages ago and was thrilled to read them again. Erma can make you laugh and cry on the same page! What I treasure! I went straight to the library and got another one of her books!
Malynda
Sep 03, 2007 Malynda rated it really liked it
I love Erma Bombeck and her musings. Couldn't ask for anything more on a Sunday afternoon than one of her books to keep me company.
Rebekkila
Jan 03, 2012 Rebekkila marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Kim
Kim rated it it was amazing
May 29, 2008
Daphne Oliver
Daphne Oliver rated it it was amazing
Feb 10, 2010
Tom Hill
Tom Hill rated it really liked it
May 19, 2013
Adrian Manning
Adrian Manning rated it it was amazing
Feb 02, 2015
Charles Ewing,
Charles Ewing, rated it it was amazing
May 22, 2011
MissJessie
MissJessie rated it liked it
Jul 01, 2013
Linda Palmer
Linda Palmer rated it it was amazing
Sep 13, 2012
Jig737
Jig737 rated it it was amazing
Jan 13, 2014
Kristina
Kristina rated it really liked it
Mar 24, 2013
Laura Myers
Laura Myers rated it really liked it
Sep 10, 2015
Chance
Chance rated it it was amazing
Nov 12, 2013
Shiloh Wall
Shiloh Wall rated it it was amazing
Apr 20, 2015
kristina riggleman
kristina riggleman rated it it was amazing
Dec 09, 2016
Whitney
Whitney rated it really liked it
Apr 29, 2010
Ruth Himan
Ruth Himan rated it it was amazing
Nov 02, 2012
Marianne Weber
Marianne Weber rated it really liked it
May 19, 2015
Julephenia
Julephenia rated it really liked it
Nov 11, 2009
Tia
Tia rated it liked it
Jan 31, 2008
Tammy Fickler
Tammy Fickler rated it it was amazing
Nov 02, 2012
Whitney
Whitney rated it really liked it
Sep 14, 2012
Sarah Clark
Sarah Clark rated it it was amazing
Feb 27, 2011
Melissa
Melissa rated it it was amazing
Jan 16, 2009
Erma Louise Bombeck, born Erma Fiste, was an American humorist who achieved great popularity for a newspaper column that depicted suburban home life humorously, in the second half of the 20th century.

For 31 years since 1965, Erma Bombeck published 4,000 newspaper articles. Already in the 1970s, her witty columns were read, twice weekly, by thirty million readers of 900 newspapers of USA and Canada
More about Erma Bombeck...