Start by marking “I Lost Everything in the Post-Natal Depression” as Want to Read:
I Lost Everything in the Post-Natal Depression

I Lost Everything in the Post-Natal Depression

Erma Bombeck has learned a few things about children and family over the years--and in a way that is uniquely and wonderfully her own, she shares everything she knows with her readers. Whether it's cleaning up after the kids and him, or expendable mothers-in-law, Erma Bombeck gets to the heart of the matter and makes us laugh through our tears.
Published March 1st 1995 by Fawcett (first published January 1st 1970)

To ask other readers questions about I Lost Everything in the Post-Natal Depression, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Lost Everything in the Post-Natal Depression

Laraine
Oct 10, 2007 Laraine rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: All mothers raising young children!
When I was a young mother raising 5 children, Erma Bombeck always saved me! Raising children, although rewarding and fun, can be mundane and frustrating. Erma Bombeck's humorous view of life always put a smile on my face and made me laugh right out loud while I was reading! Even now, as a Grandmother, I love picking up a Bombeck book. It always cheers me up!
Rowan
Nov 04, 2009 Rowan rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Moms
Shelves: humour, non-fic
Erma Bombeck is a jewel of humour. She embodies all the casually assumed values of a generation which threw up its hands and wandered into retirement before I ever came along. Though she flourished during the first wave of militant feminism, she makes no apologies for her vocation of wife and mother, while claiming no great skill at either. Her sense of humour is her weapon in the face of the frustrations and vicissitudes of life. She mocks her husband, her children, her mother-in-law, and herse ...more
Chana
When I had my first child 30 years ago my mother gave me some Erma Bombeck books to read. I could hardly breathe for laughing so hard. I loved them. But I don't think I've read Erma Bombeck since then, until now.
I guess I must be a very different person now than I was then. I didn't find this funny, just laughed a couple of times. Instead I cried over the section titled "I've always loved you best" which are letters to her children, and "Flag" in which she discusses what our flag means to us. In
Ami
Jan 20, 2012 Ami rated it it was amazing
I love Erma's books! While other kids were sneakily reading the latest issue of Batman or Archie & Veronica comic books between the pages of their schoolbooks during class I was trying not to get caught laughing too loudly at the pages of the latest book by humorist author Erma Bombeck. Its safe to say that I grew up with her books and her name, and stories, just like V.C. Andrews', another author I grew up reading, brings back a lot of good reading memories. Erma, and her writing, will be d ...more
Jennifer D. Munro
Sep 16, 2010 Jennifer D. Munro rated it it was amazing
You've got to love an author who finds her mother-in-law to be expendable. "My mother-in-law has finally accepted me for what I am: a mistake. And I have learned to live with her through the miracle of sedation." She looks forward to being an empty-nester so that she can have rumballs before breakfast. An exaggerated, irreverent look at family life by someone who obviously loves her family. Interesting that she refers to herself as a housewife, not as a writer, despite being a columnist and a bo ...more
Sue
Feb 11, 2012 Sue rated it really liked it
I read this when I was a new mother. With a newborn I was winding up my Braille II certificate and decided to braille this book. If I hadn't enjoyed laughing with Erma so much, I probably would never have finished the required perfect 35 pages plus a colicky baby!
Carah
Oct 06, 2008 Carah rated it it was amazing
I particularly enjoyed her essay on "I've Always Loved You Best" and am thinking of using it in my babies' scrapbooks. She also has some great comments on civic and parental responsibility at the end of the book. She was a real genius!
Rae
Apr 06, 2008 Rae rated it liked it
Shelves: funny-stuff
An amusing take on motherhood by an 80's humorist. Dated now, but still funny.
Lori
Feb 25, 2008 Lori rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio
Very cute, I have always liked Erma Bombeck and the narrator made it even better.
Cher
Jan 02, 2009 Cher rated it it was amazing
This book always makes me laugh out loud.
Jackie
Apr 26, 2014 Jackie added it
It’s funny in an old-fashioned sort of way (meaning our society’s culture has changed a bit since that era), but still is relevant in the mommy-world. It helped me to recognize that many of the incidences that occur in our family can be seen as funny and to laugh more, and also to appreciate the moments as they occur.
Sarah Poole
Mar 31, 2013 Sarah Poole rated it it was ok
I read a couple Bombeck books in my teens and thought they were hilarious! I bought this after I had my daughter, thinking it somewhat fitting, but didnt get a chance to read it until recently. I chuckled to myself a couple times, but thought it was pretty boring overall. I don't know if my sense of humor has changed or if this book isn't as good as the others, but I did not enjoy it.
Gena Lott
Apr 12, 2011 Gena Lott rated it it was amazing
Shelves: humor
If you don't like Erma Bombeck you haven't read her. She makes the woes of modern womanhood seem as trivial as it often is when focused on "What the Neighbors think" and "Trying to keep up with the JOnes." I love the irony she typified in her columns and which show up in her books. On the surface they are just good clean fun. Down deep, she is always asking "How can this be important?"
Leonca
Oct 11, 2012 Leonca rated it liked it
Shelves: owned, non-fiction
My copy of this book is over a decade older than I am. Much of the humor doesn’t translate well through time, due to pop culture and celebrity references that sail right over my head (I often don’t even catch the current ones). On the plus side, I loved the segment on “10 ways to convince your kid that snake he caught doesn’t want to come home with him.”
Regina
Nov 22, 2011 Regina rated it really liked it
Erma Bombeck is one of those ladies who is still funny after 50 years and always will be. I decided to go back and revisit her books because people compare my writing to hers sometimes. I thought I might learn a thing or two. But the only thing I learned is that I'll never be as funny as she is. Then I decided that our next pet (cat or dog, but probably cat) will be named Erma Bombeck.
Amy
Jan 30, 2015 Amy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This witty book kept me company on a recent car trip for work. It's surprising how so much has changed, but somethings just continue to stay the same. For example, I learned that plastic bags were once called "see through bags". I enjoyed those slight changes, but her smart commentary on marriage and parenting still seems pretty up to date in general. Thanks for making me laugh!
Ann
May 29, 2013 Ann rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I remember reading her books years ago and howling out loud at the great humor. While this was still entertaining, it must be our exposure to humor has changed through the years, so no howling out loud, but liked it.
Laurie
Mar 01, 2008 Laurie rated it it was amazing
I need to go back and read most of Erma's things. My recollection is that this was my favorite book of hers.
Renie
Dec 28, 2010 Renie rated it it was ok
This book was neither as funny or poignant as her others. Not a recommendation.
Jeff
Jan 01, 2009 Jeff rated it really liked it
If you are a parent you will laugh. If you are not you will enjoy it anyway.
Lisa
Oct 05, 2012 Lisa rated it it was amazing
One of the funniest books I have ever read.
Cindy Zimmerman
Feb 01, 2013 Cindy Zimmerman rated it it was amazing
Lol funny!
Ashlie Kirkpatrick
Apr 02, 2015 Ashlie Kirkpatrick rated it it was amazing
I adore this book. It is HILARIOUS and familiar with stories of what being a woman, a wife, and a mother is really like.
AE
Jun 16, 2007 AE rated it it was amazing
Pure pop perfection from the master of "clean" humor that's actually fucking funny. I raise my giant owl sunglasses with the upside down handles to the goddess Erma.
Jan
Apr 08, 2012 Jan rated it liked it
Shelves: listened-to
Funny, light, quick read. Erma Bombeck's take on life with a family.
Grandma
Every mother should read this one - can relate to all of the experiences
Angela Gill
Hilarious!
Angela Verdenius
Jul 27, 2014 Angela Verdenius rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed reading this book. Erma has such a way of making family life fun, while also pointing out the frustrations! A good, light, feel-good read.
Suzanne Kunz Williams
Married with children? Need a good cry? Would prefer a good laugh? This is the book for you!
Bonnie Daly
Jan 22, 2016 Bonnie Daly rated it really liked it
I'll never grow tired of reading and re-reading everything Erma has every written. She was a true comic genius. :)
  • If You Can't Live Without Me, Why Aren't You Dead Yet?!
  • The World According to Dave Barry
  • How to Raise Your I.Q. by Eating Gifted Children
  • When Do They Serve the Wine?: The Folly, Flexibility, and Fun of Being a Woman
  • Molly Ivins Can't Say That, Can She?
  • Is Sex Necessary? or Why You Feel the Way You Do
  • The Best of Robert Benchley
  • The Hypochondriac's Guide to Life. And Death.
  • I Want You to Shut the F#ck Up: How the Audacity of Dopes Is Ruining America
  • Shoot Low, Boys--They're Ridin' Shetland Ponies: In Search of True Grit
  • Real Ponies Don't Go Oink!
  • Wanda Hickey's Night of Golden Memories: And Other Disasters
  • How I Got to Be Perfect
  • City Boy
  • Looking for Mr. Right
Erma Louise Bombeck, born Erma Fiste, was an American humorist who achieved great popularity for a newspaper column that depicted suburban home life humorously, in the second half of the 20th century.

For 31 years since 1965, Erma Bombeck published 4,000 newspaper articles. Already in the 1970s, her witty columns were read, twice weekly, by thirty million readers of 900 newspapers of USA and Canada
More about Erma Bombeck...