Start by marking “Come Over to My House” as Want to Read:
Come Over to My House

Come Over to My House

63 pages
Published (first published August 12th 1966)

To ask other readers questions about Come Over to My House, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Come Over to My House

The Little House by Virginia Lee BurtonIn a People House by Dr. SeussCome Over to My House by Theo.LesiegHouse Held Up by Trees by Ted KooserThe Great Blue House by Kate Banks
Picture books about houses
3rd out of 52 books — 13 voters
Green Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussThe Cat in the Hat by Dr. SeussOne Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish by Dr. SeussHow the Grinch Stole Christmas! by Dr. SeussOh, The Places You'll Go! by Dr. Seuss
27th out of 62 books — 54 voters

More lists with this book...

Greg Strandberg
Jan 12, 2015 Greg Strandberg rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids
I enjoyed reading this book for my son tonight. I've read it before, and had it read to me many times.

This one has good pictures of different places. Igloos and Russian palaces, there's some good bridges over canyons and houseboats. Fun book, a little longer than what you'd expect.
Oct 01, 2012 Gregg rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: All
Recommended to Gregg by: My future self
Kudos to you Theo LeSieg, long may your work continue to influence!!!

This was the first book I ever read. I remember sitting under the sycamore tree just staring at the pictures. I was 3 at the time and I was just learning to read. I did not read the book the 1st or 2nd, or 3rd time I tried. It was only over some period that I finally read every word, and that was a major turning point in my life. This one book started my love for reading, and all the intellectual adventures I would later embar
Jan 19, 2008 Ellenjsmellen rated it it was amazing
This is my favorite book of all time. I was lucky enough to buy it from my library for a quarter.
Feb 28, 2012 Amber rated it it was amazing
I love this book, it was one of my moms favorites and I took it with me when I had kids. I love reading it to them, however the copy I have is getting kind of beat up so I started to look to buy another copy, I don't understand why it's so hard to find. It's an awesome book, they should make it more available so more people can enjoy it!
Mar 03, 2013 April rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed, childrens
Fantastic book for kids! So imaginative and creative. Easy read that children will find delightful!

Dr. Seuss is always brilliant! His stories and rhymes are fun and entertaining! Some of my all time favorites!! Such a great way to entertain children and get them interested in reading!
Mar 18, 2011 Adrienne rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
Enchanting and lovely in a DR Seuss way:)...children from around the whole invite you into the many varying homes.

set as read to~day to clear shelves actual reading date 2~3 years ago. Will I give my copy away? Never!
May 19, 2010 Shauna rated it it was amazing
My absolute favorite book as a child. Loved seeing how others lived in different countries. I think this book is the reason I love to travel.
Jun 25, 2009 Kristine rated it it was amazing
I still have this from when I was a kid - I loved this book so much growing up! It was so fun to look at all the cool houses. I wanted to visit them all (and I still do).
Feb 26, 2016 Karin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reissue of a Dr. Seuss classic. A great look at all the different types of houses people can live in all around the world.
Jan 01, 2012 Kathryn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Visit houses all over the world, in classic Dr Seuss style.
Oct 10, 2016 Colette rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
No matter where in the world you may roam, "Every house in the world has a ceiling and floor. But the ones you'll like best have a wide-open door. . . But they're all, all alike when a friend asks you in."

I have made some awesome friends in my life time and the most dear have always asked me in to their wide-open door.
Aug 14, 2015 Rachel rated it it was amazing
This is really a lovely book, inspiring children to recognize commonalities amongst each other around the world, while providing them with opportunities to see differences in how others live. I adore the sweet illustrations, and children will enjoy the many geographic details. Although some of the houses and characters may be stereotypical (e.g. Not all Inuit live in igloos nor do Africans live in huts), this is still a winner. Make sure to show children other resources (books, online pictures), ...more
Amy Cosman
Mar 26, 2016 Amy Cosman rated it it was amazing
I loved this book as a child. It is currently out of print, so I bought a used one online a few years ago to share it with my children. It's message of diversity and friendship is simple yet profound. I'm sure it peaked my interest in travel and architecture at a young age. I read it to my daughter's second grade class this week and the children were so enthusiastic about finding clues about the locations of the dwellings, as it never actually says where they are. So, we can only guess and there ...more
Diana Walczak
May 17, 2013 Diana Walczak rated it it was amazing
This book was read to me repeatedly, and when I was four, I suddenly saw the relationship between the spoken words and the written words and could read. It seemed like magic and set me off on a course to read hundreds of books by the end of first grade. My three children learned to read the same way using this book and others. As a child, I found it fascinating how different homes can be all around the world yet all the while comforting and welcoming.
Corinne Roesler
Apr 07, 2014 Corinne Roesler rated it it was amazing
This is a great book for students! The book shows different children from all over the world and where they live, and how we can all be friends. Great book for introducing the importance of community and friendship.
Feb 06, 2015 Robin rated it liked it
Nice multi-cultural book that stands up well after so many years. Fun Seuss rhymes but not his distinctive artwork.
Mar 18, 2012 Heidi rated it it was amazing
I remember spending vast amounts of time looking at the amazing illustrations growing up, before I could read.
Jan 21, 2013 Jennifer rated it really liked it
This is a wonderful book on how we are all different- black/white, big/small, rich/poor- but still alike in many ways. This is a great read to help teach our little ones acceptance and equality.
Fiona Stokes
Dec 07, 2015 Fiona Stokes rated it it was amazing
I remember being lost in this world of different homes, I can even still feel the pine-needle slide and the big puffy puff!
Dylan & Devon Tandoc
May 29, 2016 Dylan & Devon Tandoc rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
We loved this book, about diversity around the world told only so perfectly by the one and only Dr. Seuss.
Inhabiting Books
This book was one of my very favorite reads when I was four, and now it is one of my youngest daughter's favorites, too.
Mar 14, 2010 Rachael rated it it was amazing
This is an amazingly multicultural book for the time period it was written in. Once again my hat is off to Theo Lesieg (better known as Dr. Seuss!)
Aug 03, 2016 Eireanne marked it as to-read
Shelves: dr-seuss
This book is in the closed stacks. I'm going to see if I can make a field trip there in June, when the weather is nicer, to suss out this and a few other books in my to-read collection.
Jennifer Countryman
Jennifer Countryman rated it it was amazing
Apr 11, 2015
Lawrence Guthridge
Lawrence Guthridge rated it it was amazing
Sep 21, 2016
Paula rated it liked it
Oct 08, 2009
Jana rated it it was amazing
Oct 08, 2012
Cathy rated it it was amazing
Jul 19, 2012
J.E. rated it it was amazing
Apr 10, 2016
Robert Kaufman
Robert Kaufman rated it really liked it
Sep 17, 2012
  • The King, the Mice and the Cheese
  • The Bike Lesson
  • Robert the Rose Horse
  • Dr. Seuss: The Cat Behind the Hat
  • Murmel, Murmel, Murmel
  • The Cat at Night
  • The Seuss, the Whole Seuss and Nothing But the Seuss: A Visual Biography of Theodor Seuss Geisel
  • But No Elephants