Start by marking “Untitled (A Booklover's Mystery, #4)” as Want to Read:
Untitled (A Booklover's Mystery, #4)

Untitled (A Booklover's Mystery #4)

The perfume of old books and the smell of danger...

Publisher Alex Plumtree is in for the most astounding week of his life. First he comes into possession of a rare, centuries-old book, rumored destroyed on orders of King Edward IV. Then he receives an undreamed-of honor: an invitation to join a select society of book collectors...who are also some of the most powerful men
Mass Market Paperback, 336 pages
Published November 2nd 1999 by Crimeline (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Untitled, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Untitled

Benjamin Thomas
Sep 06, 2010 Benjamin Thomas rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: 1
All right, I admit that I bought this book for the "Booklover" premise, being a true bibliophile myself. However, I read over 100 novels each year, many of them mysteries and so I have learned never to judge a book by its cover (or the printed endorsements on the back). So it was with some trepidation that I began reading.

In short, I was astounded! I found the main character to be quite entertaining, bringing a common man's attitudes to an unusual life situation. Not only does he know the Prime
Roberta
Mar 12, 2012 Roberta rated it it was ok
Maybe I needed to start reading this series with #1 in order to buy into the totally outrageous plot and unbelievable series of events. The main character, Alex Plumtree, is an upper-class British publisher who is often mistaken for Pierce Brosnan (when he was 45). He has a brilliant, stunning girl friend and a loser brother. After discovering the last copy of an ancient secret book he is inducted into an exclusive club made up of the least likable group of British cliches you are likely to find ...more
Doreen
May 20, 2010 Doreen rated it it was ok
I learned a lot about the history of book-binding and printing, as well as a few interesting snippets about Bocaccio's Decameron (which is a book I've always enjoyed.) I just found the protagonist written in a manner that screamed wish-fulfillment, and the set of eccentrics and circumstances into which he was thrust too outrageous to be believable. The only characters I had any affinity for, or even any belief in, were those who sought to avoid the protagonist when at all possible. The mystery i ...more
Dawn
Dec 02, 2015 Dawn rated it did not like it
I decided that I didn't have to finish this book. It just didn't grab me. So I read the very end and thought, good thing I didn't wade through the entire book for THIS.
Hanna
Sep 23, 2016 Hanna rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
This was surprisingly good. I loved the idea of a mystery book about book lovers for book lovers, but i was worried it would be done badly. Mystery books can be wooden and cliche at times, but this one was not overtly so. The plot, of a book publisher and his newly discovered ancient tome embroiled in the doings of England's most notorious book society, was exciting and interesting. I even thought it had a rather satisfying conclusion (which doesn't always happen for mystery books).

*I do realiz
Jamie
Nov 29, 2009 Jamie rated it really liked it
An enjoyable, engaging read. The subtitle is very accurate. This is for bibliophiles looking for a fun story to pass the time during an otherwise dull holiday....

The plot is a bit unbelievable, but very exciting. The discovery of a one-of-a-kind book written by Boccaccio brings a lot of danger into a book publisher's life. I wish I lived in a world where a book can influence important world events, and where extremely wealthy aristocrats are really 007 types!
Jodi
May 13, 2009 Jodi rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: mystery lovers, readers who like books about books
Although the plot of this book is almost too wild to believe at times, I still very much enjoyed it. It was good to read a mystery that had a back-story with a literary theme, in addition to its placement in England, which I always enjoy. The remaining element of intrigue associated with the Middle East topped off a definite positive reading experience. I'll definitely be reading more of this author's books.
Susan
This was a did not finish for me. Not sure why. I read the first book in this series and enjoyed it but that was years ago. Perhaps my tastes have changed. I just couldn't get into the story and gave up after 80 pages.
Elsie Klumpner
Nov 05, 2013 Elsie Klumpner rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
I've read several of Julie Kaewert's books about the book publishing business in London. They are light and airy, a little formulaic but each one a fun read with interesting tidbits about the book world.
Rae King
Sep 13, 2009 Rae King rated it it was ok
Slow moving. A "cozy mystery" unbelievable at times. The protagonist survives a near drowning, being pushed out of an airplane, and having a horse fall on top of him. Not the greatest of reads.
Marci
Oct 06, 2011 Marci rated it really liked it
As with all of her books, I enjoyed reading this one, and it definitely had me not wanting to put it down. I have to read the next one now! I also want to read the Decameron now.
Shonna Froebel
Jul 06, 2013 Shonna Froebel rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery
Interesting mystery series, but definitely not that well-written
Debbie
Jan 20, 2012 Debbie rated it really liked it
publisher owns rare book which causes murder and intrigue
JZ
Mar 28, 2009 JZ marked it as to-read
4th in series 1999
Kimberlyn
Aug 13, 2009 Kimberlyn rated it liked it
nicely written
Deanna Walker
Deanna Walker marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2016
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2016
Doreen
Doreen added it
Sep 02, 2016
Alia
Alia marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2016
Vivian
Vivian is currently reading it
Aug 01, 2016
Loretta
Loretta rated it liked it
Jun 06, 2016
Staci
Staci rated it it was amazing
May 27, 2016
Amanda
Amanda rated it liked it
May 01, 2016
Pat Winter
Pat Winter marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2016
Heather Maoury
Heather Maoury marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2016
Susan
Susan rated it liked it
Mar 19, 2016
Eric Nuckolls
Eric Nuckolls rated it it was amazing
Feb 23, 2016
Jane
Jane rated it liked it
Feb 09, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Death's Autograph (Dido Hoare, #1)
  • Miss Zukas Shelves the Evidence (Miss Zukas, #8)
  • The Sign of the Book (Cliff Janeway, #4)
  • Among the Gently Mad: Strategies and Perspectives for the Book-Hunter in the 21st Century
  • Death of the Party (Death on Demand, #16)
  • The Viognier Vendetta (Wine Country Mysteries #5)
  • O' Artful Death
  • Murder on Embassy Row (Capital Crimes, #5)
  • The Shortest Day: Murder at the Revels (Homer Kelly, #11)
  • Design For Murder (Death On Demand, #2)
  • Garden of Secrets Past
  • Murder Past Due (Megan Clark, #3)
  • An Alphabetical Life: Living It Up in the World of Books
  • All the Dead Were Strangers

A Booklover's Mystery (6 books)
  • Unsolicited (A Booklover's Mystery, #1)
  • Unbound (A Booklover's Mystery, #2)
  • Unprintable (A Book Lover's Mystery, #3)
  • Unsigned (A Booklover's Mystery, #5)
  • Uncatalogued (A Booklover's Mystery, #6)