Start by marking “Twentieth Century Russian Poetry” as Want to Read:
Twentieth Century Russian Poetry

Twentieth Century Russian Poetry

4.59  ·  Rating Details  ·  39 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
A massive, comprehensive anthology of poetry from the politically turbulent Russia of this century.This collection introduces Americans to a number of astonishing poets virtually unknown outside of Russia, as well as presenting the work of some of the most prominent Russian poets of the past 90 years. ...more
Published April 1st 1994 by Anchor (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Twentieth Century Russian Poetry, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Twentieth Century Russian Poetry

Janet
Jan 24, 2013 Janet rated it it was amazing
Shelves: russia, poetry
This is an ongoing reference book--I'm not sure that every translation's really the best, usually prefer the Modern Russian Poetry ed. by Markov and Sparks in the bilingual edition--but there are so many wonderful poets and poems which don't appear in Markov/Sparks, (250+ poets) I keep them side by side on the bookshelf, use both of them prodigiously.

Silver and Steel refers to the poets of the well-known Silver Age of Russian poetry (from the fin de siecle and the symbolists--Blok etc. to Mande
Kate Savage
Feb 16, 2016 Kate Savage rated it liked it
I read all 1,100 pages of this book, and racked up some library fines, so I'm entitled to do two things.

I'll end by telling everyone to read Russian poetry, but first, I'm lodging complaints:

This book is heavily dominated by male voices. Even the female poets they can't help but include are marked as coming from the margins. The editors have the gall to call Anna Akhmatova (Anna Akhmatova!) "one of the best woman poets of her time." And it's BECAUSE I hold library property sacred that I correcte
Chelsea
Nov 21, 2008 Chelsea added it
Shelves: own, poetry, collections
This was a gift given to me by a fellow Russia enthusiast, and I feel like I should confess that I haven't truly read it. I'd put it on my currently reading shelf, but it would never leave. It's been slow but enjoyable going so far.

I'm a little disappointed that I haven't found any poets I'm madly in love with yet, but I've found some truly excellent lines. And I still have most of the book in front of me, so I've got that going for me.
Phillip
Aug 03, 2008 Phillip rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry, russian
An outstanding collection of Russian poetry, edited and organized into eras by Yevgeny Yevtushenko. A great selection for anyone interested in gaining exposure to many of Russia's finest poets.
annakatrina
Jan 27, 2008 annakatrina rated it it was amazing
a really extensive, exhaustive compilation. my first introduction to the world of russian poetry. and a book i will hold close to my heart por vida.
Takipsilim
Dec 12, 2009 Takipsilim rated it it was amazing
The wealth of Russia's poetic legacy stunned and enthralled me.
Yu
Yu marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2016
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2016
Kevin Hansen
Kevin Hansen rated it it was amazing
May 01, 2016
Gloria Sun
Gloria Sun marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2016
анна
анна marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2016
Sophie
Sophie marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2016
Karolina
Karolina marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2016
Alison
Alison added it
Mar 28, 2016
Durval
Durval marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2015
Loida Pan
Loida Pan marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2015
Liadagh
Liadagh marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2015
Sophiecohen
Sophiecohen rated it it was amazing
Aug 30, 2015
Askia Mohammed
Askia Mohammed marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2015
Scherzo
Scherzo marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2015
Steven Chang
Steven Chang marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2015
Lidia
Lidia rated it it was amazing
May 19, 2015
Mareila
Mareila marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2015
Asim Shujaee
Asim Shujaee marked it as to-read
Dec 31, 2014
Michael
Michael marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2014
Justin
Justin marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2014
Nadezhda Pokalo
Nadezhda Pokalo rated it it was amazing
Oct 19, 2014
Charles
Charles rated it it was amazing
Sep 03, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Евгений Евтушенко
Yevgeny Aleksandrovich Yevtushenko (Russian: Евгений Александрович Евтушенко; born 18 July 1933 in Zima Junction, Siberia) is a Soviet and Russian poet. He is also a novelist, essayist, dramatist, screenwriter, actor, editor, and a director of several films.
More about Yevgeny Yevtushenko...