The Way to Glory (Lt. Leary, #4)

The Way to Glory (Lt. Leary / RCN #4)

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  1,336 ratings  ·  23 reviews
Violence racks Cinnabar. The fleets of the tyrannical Alliance are on the move, and at home class riots threaten to rip apart not only society but the Republic of Cinnabar Navy. Lt. Daniel Leary has earned promotion, but the needs of the Republic and the RCN require that he serve under an officer whose paranoia has already led him to execute crewmen out of hand. Signals Of...more
Mass Market Paperback, 526 pages
Published April 24th 2007 by Baen (first published January 1st 2005)

Ender's Game by Orson Scott CardStarship Troopers by Robert A. HeinleinOld Man's War by John ScalziThe Forever War by Joe HaldemanOn Basilisk Station by David Weber
Military Science Fiction
119th out of 521 books — 644 voters
Furies of Calderon by Jim ButcherImager by L.E. Modesitt Jr.On Basilisk Station by David WeberScholar by L.E. Modesitt Jr.First Lord's Fury by Jim Butcher
books with almighty heroes
54th out of 103 books — 15 voters

More lists with this book...

Dirk Grobbelaar
This sure is a rock solid series. It’s not breaking new ground, but as far as pure story telling is concerned it has yet to disappoint. This is the fourth instalment featuring Lieutenant Daniel Leary and Signals Officer Adele Mundy. And, let’s not forget Hogg and the rest of the Sissies, without whom the series would just not be the same. The ‘secondary’ characters in these novels are done very well and some of them are a real treat (Hogg especially). The RCN books are not as pulpy as you might...more
Jon
As the series goes on, it feels like it becomes more and more about Mundy, which is great, since she's my favorite character in this series. She's got the most depth and complexity. Daniel is fairly well fleshed out, but he's simple (Mundy calls him at times innocent and naive, which I think fits great). The other characters are all pretty one dimensional, which doesn't detract from the series.
Andreas
Leary has finally been promoted, but due to political machinations he is not given a new ship command. Instead, he is assigned as the executive officer of a paranoid Captain whose last move was to violently quash a mutiny by massacring the perpetrators, one of whom was a senator’s son. Leary cannot play humble, and ends up squarely in the sights of his superior.

The series certainly isn’t becoming dull, but I find that Drake missed an opportunity here. The main plot complication in the early part...more
Jamie Barrows
I really enjoy this series. This time Daniel and Adele get posted to a ship under a paranoid Captain. As usual, they discover a plot by the alliance and we end up getting more superb space battles.
Roberta
Best book so far. Not everything goes Leary's way in this book. It was a tense book throughout, and the best written thus far in the series. I finally like Leary and Adele, and I didn't in the first two books, but this book made them more human. I attribute that to Drake's writing improving. If you don't like the first book of the series persevere through, this book alone is worth reading the other three first just to get to this one (and the first three books range from pretty good to good).
Richard
I think the author has really defined the two main characters well. After the third book, I think the author is hitting his stride. (either that or I am getting use to his style of writing.)

The plot was good. It moved in a good pace. Some things are kind of too "lucky", but the book reflects on it. And it brings a warm fuzzy feeling after reading the book. Too much stuff is too real these days... or too dark.

Definitely not this book.

Will continue to read more in this series.
Scott
If I could rate this 3.5, I would, but I do nothing in half measures. David Drake continues to write compelling, believable officers, but in this fourth installment they are a bit cardboard.

Not so their circumstances, and the protagonists Mundy and Leary shine in a series of impossible situations. There are better books in this series, but if you've come this far, you're as hooked as I am.

Scarlet
Better than the last book but Drake has got to stop using the phrase "Adele smiled coldly" because I am sick of it. The adventures are fun but there is zero character growth and development, and it's a little boring. Though I think I spot the hint of an overall plot arc for the series, which I thought had also been lacking.
Leigh Kimmel
In this installment, Daniel Leary must ship under a paranoid captain -- but unlike the situations in CS Forester's Mr. Midshipman Hornblower or Herman Wouk's The Caine Mutiny, it's complicated by Daniel being the son of the Speaker of the Senate, and the captain being a member of a rival political family.
Mark
Apr 02, 2010 Mark added it
Shelves: science-fiction
Great entry in the Lt. Leary series... interstellar derring-do amid political maneuver and private misbehavior, trumped by great data retrieval skills (Mundy) and battle strategy and leadership (Leary). I missed the RCN Princess Cecile, though!
Jeff Crosby
This is first class space opera, and the kind of story I most enjoy. It is adventure with a touch of espionage and interesting space combat. A strong entry in the series.
Joe
Still 4 stars.
I think this second read was better than the first.
Leary & Mundy are a great team.
The Cinnabar Universe is an interesting read.
Fred Fenimore

... and I'm out. Just couldn't take all the chest thumping. This book has the dubious distinction of being abandoned. avoid it.
Sim
I like this series by David Drake - Daniel Leary, Adele Mundy, Tovara, Hogg... well written, fun, and engaging, spacers!!!
Will
Can't miss series.
David
I am really starting to enjoy these stories a lot. I look forward to the next in the series.
George
even better
Keith
Keith added it
Jul 21, 2014
  • Defiant (Kris Longknife, #3)
  • In Fury Born
  • Exodus (Starfire, #5)
  • Manxome Foe (Looking Glass, #3)
  • The Tyrant (Raj Whitehall, #8)
  • Victory Conditions (Vatta's War, #5)
19472
David Drake is an American author of science fiction and fantasy literature. A Vietnam War veteran who has worked as a lawyer, he is now one of the major authors of the military science fiction genre.
More about David Drake...
Hammer's Slammers (Hammer's Slammers, #0) Lt. Leary, Commanding (Lt. Leary, #2) With the Lightnings (Lt. Leary, #1) An Oblique Approach (Belisarius, #1) The Far Side of the Stars (Lt. Leary, #3)