Start by marking “The Way to Glory (Lt. Leary, #4)” as Want to Read:
The Way to Glory (Lt. Leary, #4)

The Way to Glory (Lt. Leary / RCN #4)

4.04  ·  Rating Details ·  2,032 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
Violence racks Cinnabar. The fleets of the tyrannical Alliance are on the move, and at home class riots threaten to rip apart not only society but the Republic of Cinnabar Navy. Lt. Daniel Leary has earned promotion, but the needs of the Republic and the RCN require that he serve under an officer whose paranoia has already led him to execute crewmen out of hand. Signals Of ...more
Published April 24th 2007 by Baen (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Way to Glory, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Way to Glory

Dirk Grobbelaar
Jan 31, 2010 Dirk Grobbelaar rated it really liked it
This sure is a rock solid series. It’s not breaking new ground, but as far as pure story telling is concerned it has yet to disappoint. This is the fourth instalment featuring Lieutenant Daniel Leary and Signals Officer Adele Mundy. And, let’s not forget Hogg and the rest of the Sissies, without whom the series would just not be the same. The ‘secondary’ characters in these novels are done very well and some of them are a real treat (Hogg especially). The RCN books are not as pulpy as you might ...more
William Bentrim
Dec 31, 2016 William Bentrim rated it really liked it
The Way To Glory by David Drake

Daniel Leary is still a Lieutenant in this book. His beloved Sissies are still with him as is Adele Mundy, Tovera and Hogg . A munity and subsequent execution of the mutineers puts Daniel and his crew in an uncomfortable position. Daniel's normal creative interpretation of orders provides the excitement to the story.

The Horatio Hornblower series was one of my favorites series as a boy. Drake uses that story type beautifully. The camaraderie, loyalty and idolatry s
Craig
Jul 29, 2016 Craig rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Drake's RCN series features the military leader Daniel Leary and his friend Adele Mundy, librarian extraordinaire, along with a delightful, ever-expanding cast of support characters such as Daniels' family and his servant, Hogg, Adele's socially-challenged assistant Tovera, his shipmates, the incomparable Sissies, etc. (And there's usually a despicable character named Platt.) The stories are all solidly grounded on some interesting historical situation, which he explains in the books' introducti ...more
Andreas
May 02, 2011 Andreas rated it liked it
Leary has finally been promoted, but due to political machinations he is not given a new ship command. Instead, he is assigned as the executive officer of a paranoid Captain whose last move was to violently quash a mutiny by massacring the perpetrators, one of whom was a senator’s son. Leary cannot play humble, and ends up squarely in the sights of his superior.

The series certainly isn’t becoming dull, but I find that Drake missed an opportunity here. The main plot complication in the early part
Roberta
Aug 08, 2009 Roberta rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sciencefiction
Best book so far. Not everything goes Leary's way in this book. It was a tense book throughout, and the best written thus far in the series. I finally like Leary and Adele, and I didn't in the first two books, but this book made them more human. I attribute that to Drake's writing improving. If you don't like the first book of the series persevere through, this book alone is worth reading the other three first just to get to this one (and the first three books range from pretty good to good).
Jon
May 30, 2014 Jon rated it really liked it
As the series goes on, it feels like it becomes more and more about Mundy, which is great, since she's my favorite character in this series. She's got the most depth and complexity. Daniel is fairly well fleshed out, but he's simple (Mundy calls him at times innocent and naive, which I think fits great). The other characters are all pretty one dimensional, which doesn't detract from the series.
Richard
Jul 23, 2008 Richard rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
I think the author has really defined the two main characters well. After the third book, I think the author is hitting his stride. (either that or I am getting use to his style of writing.)

The plot was good. It moved in a good pace. Some things are kind of too "lucky", but the book reflects on it. And it brings a warm fuzzy feeling after reading the book. Too much stuff is too real these days... or too dark.

Definitely not this book.

Will continue to read more in this series.
Leigh Kimmel
Nov 04, 2012 Leigh Kimmel rated it really liked it
In this installment, Daniel Leary must ship under a paranoid captain -- but unlike the situations in CS Forester's Mr. Midshipman Hornblower or Herman Wouk's The Caine Mutiny, it's complicated by Daniel being the son of the Speaker of the Senate, and the captain being a member of a rival political family.
Scarlet
Dec 23, 2010 Scarlet rated it liked it
Shelves: e-books
Better than the last book but Drake has got to stop using the phrase "Adele smiled coldly" because I am sick of it. The adventures are fun but there is zero character growth and development, and it's a little boring. Though I think I spot the hint of an overall plot arc for the series, which I thought had also been lacking.
Scott James
Jun 13, 2013 Scott James rated it really liked it
If I could rate this 3.5, I would, but I do nothing in half measures. David Drake continues to write compelling, believable officers, but in this fourth installment they are a bit cardboard.

Not so their circumstances, and the protagonists Mundy and Leary shine in a series of impossible situations. There are better books in this series, but if you've come this far, you're as hooked as I am.

Mark
Apr 02, 2010 Mark added it
Shelves: science-fiction
Great entry in the Lt. Leary series... interstellar derring-do amid political maneuver and private misbehavior, trumped by great data retrieval skills (Mundy) and battle strategy and leadership (Leary). I missed the RCN Princess Cecile, though!
Joe
Apr 14, 2011 Joe rated it really liked it
Still 4 stars.
I think this second read was better than the first.
Leary & Mundy are a great team.
The Cinnabar Universe is an interesting read.
Sim
Mar 20, 2013 Sim rated it it was amazing
I like this series by David Drake - Daniel Leary, Adele Mundy, Tovara, Hogg... well written, fun, and engaging, spacers!!!
Jeff Crosby
Dec 06, 2013 Jeff Crosby rated it it was amazing
This is first class space opera, and the kind of story I most enjoy. It is adventure with a touch of espionage and interesting space combat. A strong entry in the series.
Fred Fenimore
Aug 11, 2012 Fred Fenimore rated it did not like it

... and I'm out. Just couldn't take all the chest thumping. This book has the dubious distinction of being abandoned. avoid it.
David
Nov 05, 2013 David rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am really starting to enjoy these stories a lot. I look forward to the next in the series.

Date Read History:
13 Nov 2013
20 Jan 2015
Daniel Vassily
Jan 06, 2013 Daniel Vassily rated it really liked it
Another solid entry in this great SF/Nautical Genre buster, fans of Horatio Hornblower, Honor Harrington will enjoy this series immensely. Non stop action!
Jamie Barrows
I really enjoy this series. This time Daniel and Adele get posted to a ship under a paranoid Captain. As usual, they discover a plot by the alliance and we end up getting more superb space battles.
Ron
Ron rated it it was amazing
Oct 15, 2014
Chris
Chris rated it it was amazing
Jan 09, 2013
Shawn
Shawn rated it really liked it
Dec 28, 2011
colleen
colleen rated it really liked it
Jun 22, 2015
Ed
Ed rated it really liked it
Mar 25, 2013
Hugh
Hugh rated it it was amazing
Apr 14, 2014
Darren
Darren rated it really liked it
Mar 13, 2008
Dean Sheetz
Dean Sheetz rated it liked it
Jun 05, 2013
Terry Johnson
Terry Johnson rated it it was amazing
Dec 27, 2013
David Thill
David Thill rated it it was amazing
Jan 30, 2013
David Da Costa
David Da Costa rated it liked it
Apr 10, 2016
Phillip Akers
Phillip Akers rated it it was amazing
Jun 23, 2015
  • In Fury Born
  • The Dance of Time (Belisarius, #6)
  • Redoubtable (Kris Longknife, #8)
  • Exodus (Starfire, #5)
19472
David Drake is an American author of science fiction and fantasy literature. A Vietnam War veteran who has worked as a lawyer, he is now one of the major authors of the military science fiction genre.
More about David Drake...

Lt. Leary / RCN (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • With the Lightnings (Lt. Leary, #1)
  • Lt. Leary, Commanding (Lt. Leary, #2)
  • The Far Side of the Stars (Lt. Leary, #3)
  • Some Golden Harbor (Lt. Leary, #5)
  • When the Tide Rises (Lt. Leary, #6)
  • In the Stormy Red Sky (Lt. Leary, #7)
  • What Distant Deeps (Lt. Leary, #8)
  • The Road of Danger (Lt. Leary, #9)
  • The Sea Without a Shore (Lt. Leary, #10)
  • Death's Bright Day (Lt. Leary, #11)

“Adele smiled minusculely. She'd be Mundy of Chatsworth if she were stripped naked and stood on a gallows. And Daniel would be Daniel, grinning and very probably figuring out a way to escape with the executioner's pants and his wife besides. If she was young enough, and pretty enough, and had the IQ of a parakeet.” 0 likes