Start by marking “Humble Pie” as Want to Read:
Humble Pie

Humble Pie

3.65 of 5 stars 3.65  ·  rating details  ·  2,014 ratings  ·  171 reviews
Gordon Ramsay became the world's most famous and infamous chef. This autobiography talks about his difficult childhood - his father's alcoholism and violence, his brother's heroin addiction, his failed first career as a footballer, his working relationship (and subsequent feud) with Marco Pierre White, and his kitchen life.
Published 2007 by HarperTorch (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Humble Pie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Humble Pie

I LOVE Gordon Ramsay. Now I just need to get past the fact that he has four kids and never changed a diaper, which was really the only thing about this book I didn't like.
Valerie
Everyone thinks they know the real Gordon Ramsay: rude, loud, driven, stubborn. Bearing in mind his turbulent private life I find it funny when he gives conciliatory family advice on his Kitchen Nightmares television program. However, this is his own story. In this bestselling autobiography, Humble Pie, Ramsay tells his life story starting long before he became the world’s most famous and infamous chef. He tells openly of his difficult childhood. Ramsay talks frankly about his tough childhood, t ...more
chucklesthescot
This is a surprisingly good biography, written in the no nonsense style that you would expect, complete with expletives.

He talks frankly about his shocking childhood-his mother used as a punchbag by his cheating alcoholic father, the poverty the family lived in, the frequent moves all over the country each time his dad lost a job, the family going hungry while his dad wasted all his money on his dead end singing career. It's pretty shocking to imagine families having to live like that. He goes o
Jennifer Dustin
I've been a Gordon Ramsay fan since well before his volatile tv persona was snatched up and appropriated by Fox TV here in the US. This autobiography gives insight into the rough background that gave Ramsay his drive and you can see how Ramsay the persona has been developed to keep him (and the "machine" behind him, the staff, the restaurants, the people with families that the Ramsay name now supports) at the top. While I feel like Ramsay sold his soul to Fox to make the crap television that the ...more
Margie
I was really surprised by this. I had actually downloaded it as an ebook to test my new reader, quite simply because of the affordable price. I think I may have bought the condensed version because it was quite short but it was really very interesting. I'm not normally a biography sort of person but am very glad I bought this. My only exposure to Gordon Ramsay before reading this book was through his reality TV shows, of which I have only seen one episode. This definitely painted a very differen ...more
jazz-ee2
I really wasn't interested in the football career or even restaurants of Gordon Ramsay, however I was intrigued to know of his childhood and background, so started reading this book thinking I would only read the first couple of chapters then pass it on. It captivated me so much, however, that before I knew it I was romping towards the end of the book...

Very readable, whilst it doesn't necessarily endear me to Gordon Ramsay (quite the opposite at times) it does give some insight into the man beh
Charlotte (Buried in Books)
Shana
If you are a Gordon Ramsay fan this book is a must have. If you are not a fan it's still a great read. There's everything in this autobiography. There's love, drama, sadness, broken dreams and fulfilled dreams. Here Gordon Ramsay tells all about his life and working his way to the top of the culinary field.

My favorite parts are when Gordan tells about his sad relationship with his brother Ronnie and dealing with Ronnie's drug addiction. Anyone who has had a family member who was involved in dru
Tania
This provides a n insight into why Gordon Ramsay is the way he is - ambitious, perfectionist, fair. Although I'm an admirer, I do believe that he is not perfect, but that only makes him more human to me.

I don't believe that he is a misogynist - there aren't a lot of female chefs, specially head chefs, yet he boast about 3 running his restaurants. I also think he's just being truthful when he admits to never having changed a nappy. We live in a PC world in which the knee jerk reaction to this so
Nonito Abbu
Humble Pie is an interesting peek into the life of one of the most controversial celebrity chefs. This is a story about how he clawed his way up the culinary ladder, from his dysfunctional family life to his current fame as a successful Michelin-starred chef. As expected, Ramsay did not spare any expletive, and the book is peppered with his usual "bollocks" and "fuck" ejaculations. Very raw and sincere, just like a good memoir should be.

What I liked about the book is the inside-story on Ramsay'
Pippa
Finished in one day. GR comes across as extremely honest and heartfelt in this book narrated by himself. His character is carried across well. Enjoyed the book but it lacked depth. I would recommend as a good travelling companion.
Susan Barnes
Humble Pie by Gordon Ramsay is an autobiographical account of Ramsay's rise to a celebrity chef and restaurateur.

It begins with an honest and disturbing account of growing up in a home where domestic violence was viewed as acceptable. Ramsay's family moved often due to his father's irresponsibility which disrupted Gordon's schooling as well as being emotionally difficult.

Ramsay had a promising future playing football but this was curtailed by injury. Instead he managed to gain entry into a cate
Leonie Stanley
To start by saying 'what a book' is such a cliche, but WHAT A BOOK!
When I got to the last page I was hugely disappointed. I paged backwards and forwards hoping there was something I missed, a page or maybe a full chapter that I skipped.
But nothing!
As you can gather I thoroughly enjoyed this book. This was my first autobiography I read and I am apprehensive of reading the next persons autobiography because I don't think it will captivate me in the same way.

I know that not all of you will agree wi
Socialbookshelves.com
This is the second of two Ramsay autobiographies on the market, the other being Playing with Fire, and although it probably didn’t help that I read the two of them out of order, I do think that Playing with Fire was better. That said, they do cover different subject matter, except for in the last sixty or so pages of Humble Pie which would essentially act as an introduction to the second book, if you read them in order. It’s just kind of hard to read about something that he’s looking forward to ...more
Janet
I don’t often read biographies or autobiographies but I do like Gordon Ramsay (well, certain things about him, anyway) - a friend lent me this book as she knows I like him.

The writing style is very basic - it’s obviously all from Gordon himself and not ghost-written because the writing is fairly bad in places, but that is okay because you get the sense that he’s genuine.

There were a few places where I had to read things through a few times to make sense of them! I’m not sure whether it’s a typo,
Paula Maguire
I managed to pick this book off the free shelf in the canteen and was delighted as I'd always wanted to read it. I remember being fascinated by the fact that he could have been a footballer but had to change tack due to an injury. I wanted to find out what was behind the powerhouse that was able to turn such a huge disappointment into an opportunity of success. I've been a fan of his tv programmes, though now watch them only as a 'guilty pleasure' but I love his common sense and work ethic, stre ...more
Liz
I picked up this book from a thrift shop for a couple of bucks. It ended up serving as light reading for my public transit commutes to and from work, and it served its purpose well.

Humble Pie offers a glimpse into the life and mind of chef Gordon Ramsay. As someone who is only really familiar with Ramsay's television persona, I was surprised to learn that he actually started out with a promising career in professional football. Ramsay tells his tale in his signature blunt and no-nonsense voice,
Charity
Gordon Ramsay has been a fascinating subject of study in television and in food. I've enjoyed his television shows Hell's Kitchen US, Hotel Hell, and Kitchen Nightmares. I have visited two of his restaurants and enjoyed his food and admired his passion for creating amazing eats. Reading his autobiography should've been a natural step for me, but I had no idea it even existed until it was given to me.

This book was a revelation in Gordon's background. I had no idea what his background was and I re
MiLi
Suelo leer muchas biografías, especialmente autobiografías, pero esta tiene un encanto especial... De hecho, confieso que en pocos meses consulté este libro una decena de veces, por partes o entero.

Se trata de la primera autobiografía de uno de los Chefs más talentosos de la actualidad (junto a Joel Robuchon y Alain Ducasse son los 3 chefs con más estrellas Michelin en el mundo), en la que relata su vida desde un plano íntimo y personal. La segunda autobiografía, Playing with Fire, aborda su hi
Sherry Mackay
Well the writing is not the strong point here but he has a very interesting story to tell and he gets stuck in. You have to admire his utter determination to succeed and his incredible will and the hard yards he put in to become the famous chef he is today. Considering that his father was a complete tosser and his brother a thieving drug addict, he has really overcome his terrible early years. A fascinating look into a very driven man's life and career.
Ben Eldridge
Not quite sure why I picked this up....
However, I found that 'Ramsays Kitchen Nightmares' turned into essential viewing for me while it was screening here.

An autobiog detailing his impoverished and troubled upbringing, owing to the fact that his Father was a completely useless sod, his brief but promising football career that was cut short by injury, and then onto his various apprenticehsips in restaurants around Europe under the guidance of a number of gifted but tyrannical head-chef's.
He also
Liz
I love Gordon Ramsay so I was totally excited when I saw an autobiography on kindle for only $3. What I didn't realize when I bought it is that this is part of a series called "Quick Reads" that are made to be super fast to encourage people who either don't normally read or haven't read in awhile to have something quick and easy to get through.

This was definitely that. It was super short, easy to read in a couple of hours. It is also clearly Gordon Ramsay writing it. Clearly he is a chef and NOT
Karen Wickham
This is typical Gordon Ramsay. Full of expletives and bigging himself up all the time.

It's an interesting story about his background and how he came to be so driven in his work.

There are many attempts in the book to justify some of the stances he's been criticised for in the past. For example his attitude to women. The jury's still out on that one.

An entertaining read though.
Mick
A truly amazing book. You can regard this character as a hero or a villain, or a total twat... but read this book and you will learn something. It sheds so much light for all the judgmental people. Many many things. I don't particularly like Gordon Ramsay, but this book is an absolute must read.
Debi Sage
He doesn't say much of anything about anything. What he does say he paints himself in a completely innocent light. Also… I listened to the audio book so I could hear him tell his own story. BIG MISTAKE!! He is totally monotoned and reads it really fast. I had to rewind parts several times to understand what he was talking about. He talks about his abusive father, his drug addict brother and the birth of his children in the exact same tone of voice. What a donkey!!

Maybe I would have liked it more
Wynn
This autobiography - written by by Ramsay himself in 2007 - was absolutely fascinating. It gave a very good insight into Gordon Ramsay's character and increased my respect for him immensely.

Without giving away the story, let's just say he is a much more giving man - particularly to a perennially hard-up sibling - than you might imagine.

If you spot a used copy, it's worth buying. However, I have a caveat to that recommendation. Read on...

Awful, awful editing job on the book, though. It's as tho
Sam
Very interesting about his childhood, but this Quick Reads book is an autobiography and I don't often read any biographies of living people as I don't enjoy them.

If you enjoy biographies and are a fan of Gordon Ramsey, then I'm sure you'll enjoy it.
Tammie
I listened to this audiobook on a long drive to pass the time, a fairly interesting story but it all seemed slightly stilted and a little repetitive. I was impressed by Gordon Ramsay's drive and determination, particularly the way he repeatedly changed types of cooking and started right at the bottom of the ladder each time, but I felt a bit frustrated during the book by how political the cooking scene has been for him.

I enjoyed listening to him talk about staff and friends, he sounds like a re
Lois
Interesting enough , if a little band - basically filler for my reading challenge, but I've had a minor obsession with kitchen nightmares USA this past week, which helped; and it was a pretty good book.
LJ
I picked up this book at a charity shop in Glasgow, Scotland. Ramsay spent part of his childhood in Glasgow, and played on the Glasgow Rangers youth football (soccer) team. I am not that much into cooking but I am finding this book very readable after getting past the beginning where he described experiences with his father, which became repetitive and he went overboard with the "f" word, which is hardly surprising for him. I suppose those readers who couldn't handle reading much profanity would ...more
  • Gordon Ramsay: The Biography
  • The Devil in the Kitchen: Sex, Pain, Madness and the Making of a Great Chef
  • Through Thick and Thin: My Autobiography
  • Billy
  • That's Another Story: The Autobiography
  • Feel: Robbie Williams
  • At My Mother's Knee...: and other low joints
  • Look Who It Is!: My Story
  • My Take
  • The Amateur Gourmet: How to Shop, Chop and Table Hop Like a Pro (Almost)
  • By Any Means: His Brand New Adventure from Wicklow to Wollongong
  • I Don't Mean to Be Rude, But...: Backstage Gossip from American Idol & the Secrets that Can Make You a Star
  • Look Back in Hunger
  • May I Have Your Attention, Please?: The Autobiography
Gordon James Ramsay, OBE, is a British chef, television personality and restaurateur. He has been awarded a total of 16 Michelin Stars, and in 2001 became one of only three chefs in the United Kingdom to hold three Michelin stars at one time. Ramsay currently ranks 3rd in the world in terms of Michelin Stars behind Joël Robuchon and Alain Ducasse.

Ramsay is known for presenting TV programmes about
More about Gordon Ramsay...
Roasting in Hell's Kitchen: Temper Tantrums, F Words, and the Pursuit of Perfection Gordon Ramsay's Fast Food: Recipes from the F Word. with Mark Sargeant and Emily Quah Gordon Ramsay's Ultimate Cookery Course Cooking for Friends Gordon Ramsay's Healthy Appetite. Food by Mark Sargeant