Start by marking “Yu Yu Hakusho (Volume 1: Goodbye, Material World!)” as Want to Read:
Yu Yu Hakusho (Volume 1: Goodbye, Material World!)

Yu Yu Hakusho (YuYu Hakusho #1)

4.25 of 5 stars 4.25  ·  rating details  ·  10,278 ratings  ·  53 reviews
Yusuke, a teenage ghost with a mission, is the star of one of Japan's most popular graphic novels
Published August 18th 2003 by VIZ Media LLC (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Yu Yu Hakusho, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Yu Yu Hakusho

Death Note, Vol. 1 by Tsugumi OhbaFruits Basket, Vol. 1 by Natsuki TakayaFullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 01 by Hiromu ArakawaOuran High School Host Club, Vol. 1 by Bisco HatoriVampire Knight, Vol. 01 by Matsuri Hino
Best Manga/Anime Book Ever
78th out of 890 books — 2,605 voters
Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 01 by Hiromu ArakawaDeath Note, Vol. 1 by Tsugumi OhbaNaruto, Vol. 01 by Masashi KishimotoBleach Volume 01 by Tite KuboOne Piece, Volume 01 by Eiichiro Oda
Best Shounen Series
18th out of 100 books — 390 voters

More lists with this book...

Kayla
So, this is the first Manga I've ever read. I really enjoyed it. I decided to give it a try after a girl in my Library was talking about conventions, and Manga.

She recommended this Manga to me and I read it so fast, because it was so interesting. It is about a guy named Yusuke who is a bad guy at school and he ends up getting ran over by a car and dying because he tried to save a little boy from getting hit.

After this, he meets the Botan who guides him through the afterlife. Since it wasn't expe
Ian Zimmerman
Today we look at a comic with some serious flaws, but I love it anyways. Firstly, the art in this manga is quite bad and I mean BAD! The anime looks so much more polished that it is almost difficult to read the manga after seeing the anime. Secondly, this starts surprisingly slow for a shonen comic. Usually the anime is the adaptation with all the painful filler, but in Hakusho it is the manga if anything that has more padding. As a ghost, Yusuke already saves Kuwabara's cat in both versions. Di ...more
Becky Welch
This fun little manga is about a kid named Yusuke Urameshi who is revealed to be dead on the first page. The first chapter reveals that he is an angry kid who will pick a fight with anyone but somehow managed to die selflessly saving a kid from being run over by a car. Since Yusuke wasn't supposed to die right there, the Grim Reaper that comes to get him informs him that there isn't a place for him in the afterlife. This leaves Yusuke with a choice: stay a ghost and wait for a spot to be prepare ...more
Vio
YuYu Hakusho is one of my favorite manga! It's about a young, violent delinquent who, to the surprise of Heaven, selflessly saves a boy from being hit by a car. But with this, he ended up dying! Because this brave act is so unlike the troublemaking Hakusho, Heaven doesn't know whether to place him in Hell or Heaven. He is then sent back as a ghost to Earth to kill daemons to prove where he belongs in the afterworld.
YuYu Hakusho is another very popular series. Though it is old, the storyline is p
Dallan Tucker
14 year old Yusuke Urameshi is your average, everyday delinquent. Except for the fact that he's dead. (This isn't a spoiler, it's the first thing mentioned on page 1.) Having selflessly sacrificed himself to save a small child from being hit by a car, he is visited by Botan, the grim reaper. Due to Yusuke's terrible attitude, the spirit world did not plan on him dying to save that child, and so there is no room for him in the afterlife. Rather than be cursed to roam the Earth as a spirit, he is ...more
Timothy Stone
Yu Yu Hakusho, translated roughly into English as Ghost Files or Poltergeist Files, is a manga-turned-anime from the early to mid-1990's. I had started to watch it and really liked it, so I thought that I'd try out the manga that the series was first based upon.

The first volume of the series kinda through me for a loop, and I expected the differences. It's not so much that the actual story is hugely different, but that that anime greatly compresses the early chapters comprising the first arc int
Elaine
3 1/2 stars

I hadn't read the summary or watched the anime and didn't really know what YuYu Hakusho was about. However, when I saw it at the library, I figured 'why not' since it was so popular and I had somehow managed to be totally ignorant of the series.

While I didn't know what YuYu Hakusho was about, I did expect fight scenes, friendship and its share of antics, standard shonen fare. YuYu Hakusho pretty much delivered on my expectations. So far the premise is fun, having the spirit Yusuke go
kehau
Jun 25, 2007 kehau rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: manga
Silly, it gets serious from time to time. Not a terribly engrossing read, but I do read it whenever we get our Shonen Jump monthly. I wouldn't pay for the series, but I'm fine with reading the serials. Oh yeah, it's about a boy, "the toughest boy in his high school" they always mention, who dies and becomes a demon hunter (I think the name means poltergeist hunter). He, along with his friend, the 2nd toughest kid--blah blah blah, hone their 6th sense fighting skills and encounter all kinds of ad ...more
Julie
I really enjoyable read in which the protagonist dies in the first panel. Our not so noble hero dies in a way that even the underworld didnt' expect- selflessly! Consequently, he has a chance to live again since his body is merely in a deep coma
Richmond
Yu Yu Hakusho is pound for pound one of the greatest Shonen comics ever created. It delivers on everything you'd want from a boy's adventure comic. It's got great action, humour, drama and heart. But the most affecting element of Yu Yu Hakusho is it's characters. In spite of the fantasy setting, they feel like real living breathing people. Togashi is an incredible storyteller. His panels flow smoothly and effortlessly. He was incredibly innovative with the ways he would convey motion and action. ...more
Elizabeth T.
I stopped reading this manga half a year ago, when I was only 1/4 through it, but all well.
I loved this manga. The art was amazing, the plot not so original but still very enjoyable; very funny and addicting to read.
Alexandre Collepicolo
Not much to say, you have to read, I read a bunch of mangas and the ones in my list are great. If you are looking for something on this genre I recommend it.
Tranlinh
nhấtttt dươngggg chỉiiiii

ngày xưa tôi từng đạt giải cảm nhận bộ truyện này..
Lilianna C-L
So many good manga series.. I don't think I can read them all!
pinkgal
Gosh. I can't say much about this without completely going off my rocker in raving how wonderful and beautiful and utterly fantastic it is. Seriously, this was one of the first fandoms where I enjoyed both manga and anime. I'm usually so picky about the anime that comes from a manga, but this? Oh, this was wonderful. I read and re-read the series several times. It's hilarious and funny and tongue-in-cheek, and yes, it's a teeny bit tragic at times too. But not too tragic, because how can a brash ...more
Jessica
This is the first manga in the Yu Yu Hakusho series. It follows Yusuke Urameshi, a teen who is hit by a car trying to save a little boy. Yuske ends up as a ghost who performs good deeds.

The manga follows the anime pretty closely. There are a few chapters that go off from the anime, but for the most part, if you enjoyed watching Yu Yu Hakusho, you'll probably enjoy this book.

I typically don't read mangas, but I bought this book for my husband several years ago and decided to see what it was like.
B.d.
This review is more of a warning; the first and second volumes of this series are fascinating, excellent and worth checking out. However, after the second volume the series goes from high-quality material to your typical two-to-three-star shonen battle manga. As much as I love the first two volumes, the rest of the series is disappointing and with that I cannot rate this volume or the second volume five stars.

This volume is A material on its own, but the disappointment it leads up to knocks it d
Andrea Paula Arruda
The review is coming really soon! :)
Ryan McCarthy
While I thought the manga was ok, I felt that the anime adaptation was much better. The manga suffered from a abrupt shift from comedy in the first two volumes to demon fighting in the rest of the series. This was much less abrupt in the anime. Also, the ending in the anime was much more satisfying than the manga ending which was more a whimper than a bang.

While there are far worse manga to read(ex. InuYasha), the anime is IMO a lot better.
Mary
I just grabbed this manga off the shelf at random at the library because I wanted to try reading some, and I was not impressed. I just couldn't get into the story at all - the plots weren't compelling, the images weren't that good, and it felt incredibly juvenile but covered fairly adult topics. I think I'm going to try another series and see if I can find one I like better.
Starbubbles
i enjoyed the anime, so when i finally ventured over to the "young adult" section in my library and saw the series, had to pick it up. can't remember just how close it is to the anime, but i do know it's fairly close. i enjoyed it just as much as i did watching it on the tv. i wonder if the battles will be just as drawn out later in the series though.
Mayday
The thing with Yoshihiro Togashi is that the artwork is not good enough for me, it is messy, but not good-messy like One Piece. But when his manga is turned in to anime, it would be different story. The same goes for Yuyu Hakusho.

I read this one until volume 7 or 8 and then dropped it because the story was not worth the eyes-crossing.
Quinn
This manga, although it is an older manga, is still a pretty good storyline, I think that the characters and ides for the plot are fairly well put together too. I would give this a 3/5 because although it peeked my interest, I still found some parts that could have been shorter.

Holy Cheese on Rye Fans Forever!!!!!!!
Maxwell Heath
I like the concept of using ghost powers to help people in various ways, especially because there was some variety, rather than just being the banishing of one ghost after another. Also, the characters were good, and it was nice to see one of the bullies start to change towards the end of the volume.
Anna
Gave it a try, was surprised to like it! I've read the first 3 volumes, so far I like the first 2 volumes best (and the way the storyline is written, you can stop at vol.2 with satisfaction; no nagging cliff-hanger there). Has its own humour and suspense.
Federiken Masters
Mar 08, 2010 Federiken Masters rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Muchos.
Recommended to Federiken by: Recuerdos lejanos
Creo que este tomo junto al siguiente son el arranque perfecto para una serie que -si bien muestra lo mejor de sí en sus primeros tomos- resulta una mezcla de géneros y estilos de lo más interesante.
Nathan Orgill
This book has great sentimental value to me, and I think it is the best written of all the series, it has the most character development and shows us more than any other book who Yusuke is.
Kayla
May 30, 2011 Kayla rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: manga
I read this book in my teens and with all the other manga I've read I totally forgot about it. I remember this manga inspiring me to draw because of how much I loved the art.
Karaoke OK
[Series Length: 19 volumes / Read: volumes 1-13]

(Would you like me to post a short review of this series? Feel free to place a request in my GoodReads InBox. Thanks!)
Storm
Got the manga cause I liked the Anime so much, though this volume doesn't feature my favorite characters of the cast, it's still pretty awesome!
Shounen Manga Boo...: Yu Yu Hakusho Discussion 4 13 May 09, 2014 05:44PM
  • Rurouni Kenshin, Vol. 3 (Rurouni Kenshin, #3)
  • Shaman King, Vol. 1: A Shaman in Tokyo
  • Yu-Gi-Oh! Vol. 1: The Millenium Puzzle (Yu-Gi-Oh!, #1)
  • Wolf's Rain, Vol. 1 (Wolf's Rain, #1)
  • Trigun Maximum Volume 1: Hero Returns (Trigun Maximum, #1)
  • Hikaru no Go, Vol. 01: Descent of the Go Master
  • One Piece, Volume 06: The Oath (One Piece, #6)
  • Eyeshield 21, Vol. 1: The Boy With the Golden Legs
  • Dragon Ball, Vol. 1: The Monkey King (Dragon Ball, #1)
Yoshihiro Togashi (see also 冨樫 義博) is a manga artist. Credited in Chinese translations as Fu Jian Yi Bo.

He began drawing manga at an early age; while he attended college, the publisher Shueisha recognized his talent. Togashi has authored numerous manga series in different genres during the past three decades. He is perhaps best known for writing and illustrating the YuYu Hakusho and Hunter × Hunte
More about Yoshihiro Togashi...
Hunter x Hunter, Vol. 01 (Hunter x Hunter, #1) Yu Yu Hakusho Volume 2: Lonesome Ghost YuYu Hakusho: Spirit Detective, Vol. 3 (YuYu Hakusho, #3) Hunter x Hunter, Vol. 03 (Hunter x Hunter, #3) Hunter x Hunter, Vol. 02 (Hunter x Hunter, #2)