Start by marking “Fears of Your Life” as Want to Read:
Fears of Your Life

Fears of Your Life

“I write down my fears, my scariness and my frightfulness. This is an understanding process. It helps me real good.”—Michael Bernard Loggins

Everybody has fears in common, and in this unique, handwritten book, author Michael Bernard Loggins (an adult with developmental disabilities) battles his fears by listing more than 138 of them. Featured on NPR’s This American Life.
Published December 1st 2003 by Manic D Press, Inc.

To ask other readers questions about Fears of Your Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fears of Your Life

Serena
Nov 11, 2014 Serena rated it it was amazing
I love this book! The author has listed, and illustrated, a whole panopaly of fears. Ones that everyone will admit to (spiders, spilling soda on a shirt) to the more esoteric like being associated with shoplifters if you are in the store in the same time as they are. The fact that the author has some developmental/learning disabilities I think allows him a bit more honesty than many of us will admit to. A very good book!
Jaron
Jan 06, 2011 Jaron rated it it was amazing
This book re-affirms things I have learned in the Peace Corps: the only prerequisite to know the truth is to have the ability to honestly and originally reflect on your own experience. No amount of formal education can ever teach you this skill, you just have to want it. This man does just that, and his book is a heartwarming and uplifting read if you are open to read it.
Emilybrooks89
Mar 02, 2016 Emilybrooks89 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016
Brilliant, relatable, honest and hopeful
Christine Ott
Mar 04, 2016 Christine Ott rated it it was amazing
OMG. I heard about this book on This American Life and bought it right away. I loved it. So I bought it for everyone that Christmas. I believe the author has a condition, if I remember correctly, that causes him anxiety, so he wrote the book to face his fears. The book is hand-drawn and handwritten; it's simultaneously deeply personal, yet universal; innocent, genuine, thought-provoking, touching, and hilarious.
Ms. Kamerow
Oct 12, 2014 Ms. Kamerow rated it really liked it
This book gives you a new perspective on fear. Through repetition, cartoonish drawings, and straightforward talk, the author makes you consider what fear is to you and everyone around you.
Jay
Mar 28, 2007 Jay rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: People who are easily entertained
I don't even want to hear that I'm being hard on Michael Bernard Loggins. Yes, he has development disabilities, and I can appreciate the child-like naivete of his life fears. But this book is like three ideas spread over a hundred pages. How many different ways can you say "I fear that I will be hit by a car crossing the street" or "I fear a dog will bite me." I appreciate the effort that a team of people surely put forth to release this book, but it was definitely a big miss for me. The man is ...more
bethan
Jul 10, 2014 bethan rated it it was amazing
the best
AnitaDurt
Apr 18, 2008 AnitaDurt rated it really liked it
i read this one day at dana's house and remembered how much i liked the zines i got from creativity explored in sf, a nonprofit that provides space for developmentally disabled individuals create, show and sell their art (http://www.creativityexplored.org/). check em out and enjoy fears of your life. i love making lists so i think i'll go write some fears down right now...
Emily
Sep 24, 2007 Emily rated it it was amazing
I like to pick this one up, open to a page, and read a few lines. A handwritten book by an adult with developmental disabilities, the incredible list of personal fears is something that unifies us all.
Eli
Nov 04, 2010 Eli rated it it was amazing
Shelves: wisdom
none of the books that show up with this make any sense that way. truly in a class of it's own. poignant hilarious sad and fun.
Bosley
Feb 17, 2011 Bosley rated it really liked it
A coffee table sort of book, meant to be skimmed. A bit pricey for what you get, but amusing nevertheless.
Holly
Holly rated it really liked it
Sep 06, 2016
Katherine
Katherine marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2016
Rose Webb
Rose Webb rated it it was amazing
Apr 30, 2016
Lulu
Lulu rated it it was amazing
Jan 23, 2016
Shelley
Shelley rated it really liked it
Jan 15, 2016
Antoine
Antoine marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2016
Sa
Sa marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2015
Marisa
Marisa marked it as to-read
Oct 28, 2015
Sean!
Sean! rated it really liked it
Aug 03, 2015
Robbert
Robbert marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2015
Gabycollado
Gabycollado marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2015
Joshua Stevens
Joshua Stevens rated it it was amazing
May 25, 2015
Michael
Michael marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2015
Shhhtevie  St. Evie
Shhhtevie St. Evie marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2015
Rohini Singh
Rohini Singh rated it it was amazing
Jan 14, 2015
Margaret Wu
Margaret Wu marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2014
Kyra
Kyra rated it it was amazing
Oct 21, 2014
Kayla Freeman
Kayla Freeman rated it liked it
Sep 21, 2014
Liz Wolfert
Liz Wolfert marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2014