Fears of Your Life

Fears of Your Life

4.14 of 5 stars 4.14  ·  rating details  ·  50 ratings  ·  8 reviews
“I write down my fears, my scariness and my frightfulness. This is an understanding process. It helps me real good.”—Michael Bernard Loggins

Everybody has fears in common, and in this unique, handwritten book, author Michael Bernard Loggins (an adult with developmental disabilities) battles his fears by listing more than 138 of them. Featured on NPR’s This American Life.
Published December 1st 2003 by Manic D Press, Inc.

To ask other readers questions about Fears of Your Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fears of Your Life

Serena
I love this book! The author has listed, and illustrated, a whole panopaly of fears. Ones that everyone will admit to (spiders, spilling soda on a shirt) to the more esoteric like being associated with shoplifters if you are in the store in the same time as they are. The fact that the author has some developmental/learning disabilities I think allows him a bit more honesty than many of us will admit to. A very good book!
Jaron
This book re-affirms things I have learned in the Peace Corps: the only prerequisite to know the truth is to have the ability to honestly and originally reflect on your own experience. No amount of formal education can ever teach you this skill, you just have to want it. This man does just that, and his book is a heartwarming and uplifting read if you are open to read it.
Jay
Mar 28, 2007 Jay rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: People who are easily entertained
I don't even want to hear that I'm being hard on Michael Bernard Loggins. Yes, he has development disabilities, and I can appreciate the child-like naivete of his life fears. But this book is like three ideas spread over a hundred pages. How many different ways can you say "I fear that I will be hit by a car crossing the street" or "I fear a dog will bite me." I appreciate the effort that a team of people surely put forth to release this book, but it was definitely a big miss for me. The man is...more
AnitaDurt
i read this one day at dana's house and remembered how much i liked the zines i got from creativity explored in sf, a nonprofit that provides space for developmentally disabled individuals create, show and sell their art (http://www.creativityexplored.org/). check em out and enjoy fears of your life. i love making lists so i think i'll go write some fears down right now...
Emily
I like to pick this one up, open to a page, and read a few lines. A handwritten book by an adult with developmental disabilities, the incredible list of personal fears is something that unifies us all.
Eli
Nov 04, 2010 Eli rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: wisdom
none of the books that show up with this make any sense that way. truly in a class of it's own. poignant hilarious sad and fun.
Bosley
A coffee table sort of book, meant to be skimmed. A bit pricey for what you get, but amusing nevertheless.
Liz Wolfert
Liz Wolfert marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2014
Katari Sporrong
Katari Sporrong marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2014
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2014
Max
Max marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2014
Külli Kukk
Külli Kukk marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2014
Jerry
Jerry marked it as to-read
May 10, 2014
Alice Dodge
Alice Dodge marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2014
Latika
Latika marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2014
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2013
Ming Hui
Ming Hui marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2013
Chloe Faison
Chloe Faison marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2013
Kelley Tackett
Kelley Tackett marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2013
Valerie Cai
Valerie Cai marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2013
Mayra
Mayra marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2013
Veronnica
Veronnica marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2013
Avian Weiswerda
Avian Weiswerda marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2013
Josefine
Josefine marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2013